Quid Pro Quo (Autumn & Parker_Here)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Autumn

Edgepeasant
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
New York City. The Big Apple also dubbed as the city that never sleeps. Lights and loud music could be heard from numerous establishments. People loitered the streets, some already drunk, others on their way to get hammered as they passed through streets. The moonlight barely assisted to illuminate the streets along with lamps that constantly flickered.

Beyond the party-goers and late-night employees that wandered, there was also a pair that was wide awake even at the dead of night. Known to the city as Noir and Dr. Telk. Both famous for vastly different reasons. The number of banks that Dr. Telk has robbed could rival the number of stars in the American flag. In Antithesis, the number of criminals that Noir has brought to justice under vigilantism great in number. After all, just like the city itself, crime never sleeps. Neither police abiding citizens and in fact, are equally wanted by the police yet the two were in different spectrums of the public view. One tagged a villain, and other tagged a hero. The two are always played the game of cat and mouse.

Even now, Noir hopped from roof to roof. Long black hair tied into a single ponytail flowed with the wind as she stepped on air to cross the gaps. True to her name, Noir was dressed in a black full body with a coat that fluttered with the wind. A pair of escrima sticks hung on her belt along with other useful items. Combat boots crunched against concrete roof as she ran through. Her mask covered half of her face, but her bright blue shined even through the night.

Another rooftop was passed as she continued the chase. The sound of a blearing alarm and police sirens could be heard in the background, audible but faded as the path of police cars on ground are easily blocked. It's why Noir preferred the high ground, it was easier to see her target as well as the route to take. Honestly, Dr. Telk wasn't difficult to see most of the time. White hair and an equally white attire stuck out like a sore thumb. Funnily enough, their respective outfits were ironic given their natures. Perhaps it was because there was no need to hide at all. Even by himself, the man was powerful enough to escape capture every single time.

There were times when Noir would be able to prevent the crime, and times where it would be a chase to recover the stolen goods instead. Well, either way, Noir would still chase Dr. Telk even if he didn't have any goods. They were evenly matched. Both experienced wins and losses to the point where it felt like a game. As long as people weren't hurt, of course. When she spotted an opening to intercept, she moved down as if she ran on stairs made of air.

@Parker_Here

New York City was as beautiful as ever, shining though the night, nearby towns could obviously tell that the city was only taking a small break from the day, being so alive, but even at night it was still lively. Everyone seemed accustomed to the two staples of the city, both good and bad. Noir and Dr. Telk. Both of them trending on social media more than anything usually. #1 trending Twitter. Top searches Google. #1 most viewed YouTube. It was obvious everyone was just prepared for their next fight, whenever it was.

As Noir walked down the stairs made of air, the next street over, screaming and chaos could be heard, along with loud-ish thumps. People running away from the obvious danger. People saw Noir and smiled, still running but turning around and slowing down, wanting to see the fight that was obviously going to go down.

Dr. Telk, was walking though the streets with extension legs made out of plastic and paper, usually the things streets were filled with. He walked around with his icon suit, and his arms behind his back. He was looking around for something, when his eyes landed on Noir, and gasped lightly. He stood in silence for a moment before taking a step forward. He spoke in his normal deep toned voice that would send chills down someone's spine who wasnt used to it, with what seemed somber in his voice "Hello Noir... I know that we haven't reall-
@Autumn

Last edited:
The click of the phone cameras and ting of videos starting to record were all easily heard by Noir but she continued her way down until she was floating a few feet in front of Dr. Telk. In the beginning, she avoided cameras like a plague, often staying in the cover of the night of in alleyways. But it was unavoidable to be seen and the more she avoided the camera, the more persistent people were to find out about the mysterious hero. It led to bystanders putting themselves at risk just to snap a picture.

Emily Hayes wasn't a public figure per se but there were definitely plenty of eyes on her for being the daughter of politicians Emma and David Hayes. Her pictures were often in social media especially since she often organizes charity events on behalf of her parents. She even has her own Twitter and Instagram although she generally posts wholesome and non-political content such as sunsets, flowers, and food. When a picture of Noir first came out, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before someone found out. Before her parents found out. Fortunately, no one seemed to link the gentle Emily to the spirited Noir.

"New legs? Looks good but maybe I need to go up a few steps," She commented with a playful tilt of her head, looking at the leg extensions. Although she did feel a bit bad about cutting him off, she wanted the night to end. Emily had been running on little to no sleep. She spent the morning being hounded by reporters regarding her parents' rumored negative stance on powered individuals while at night, meanwhile Noir had been running around and catching criminals. Crime rate was relatively high with the current political instability and well, the usual incompetent police.

"Sorry to cut you off. While I do love our late night chats," 'Chats' used loosely since it's mostly in between fighting, "Perhaps we can keep this short? If I say 'please', would you return the money?" She asked with a smile. It was a joke, of course. No self-respecting villain or criminal would without a fight. Besides, she did have to try her best to bring him to custody – even if chances are he'd probably escape it. Still, she did like talking to Dr. Telk, oddly enough. He had quite a nice voice too. The complete opposite of hers'. If he wasn't a villain, he'd definitely do well in a podcast or a voice actor.

He saw her playfulness, and was already tired of it. He just wanted to say something simple, and she had to add unnecessary comments. He took glimpses around them noticing a couple of people were watching, but he quickly turned his attention back to her making playful comments, before he heard her say that she was sorry for cutting him off, and asked him to return the money. He chuckled a bit himself at her little prod, but covered it up clearing his throat

"You're so ever so funny Noir, but I'm serious tonight. I know you think I've stolen something tonight, and you would be right on most nights, but not this one" He said putting his hands up to show he had nothing behind his back, before he returned his hands to his sides and continued with "I'm done with this Noir. It just hasn't been the same as before, somethings changed, with me... and I need you to understand that I'm not going to be here after tonight. You won't see this face again, not in the bank, streets, anywhere."

He finished and let out a sigh, waiting for her response. He knew it was going to be one of two things. One, questionable. Two, skeptical. Or maybe it would be something entirely different, he barely knew this woman, personally that is. That beautiful... stunning woman... he was getting ahead of himself. He shook his blush off and awaited her response eagerly

Noir placed a hand on her chin as she thought of his words. To not steal anything and declare giving up on the life of crime? It was suspicious to say the least. It wouldn't be the first time he's said something only to do the opposite no matter how serious he sounded. But beyond what he said, it was how he said it. The phrasing made it sound like they were breaking up - not that they were in a relationship, in the first place. It felt like a reworded version of the classic 'it's not you, it's me' line.

It occurred to her that she may have spent a moment to long in her pause and hummed thoughtfully to give herself some time. What was she even supposed to say? Congratulations on your self-realization? It was fun while it lasted? I'll miss you?? Where did that even come from? Although she had to admit, if he truly was telling the truth then the city would definitely be quieter, maybe even a little bit dull. But the changes of truth from the silver tongued man was slim.

Finally breaking the silence, "I'm glad you're turning away from crime," She said, although clearly, she didn't believe it, "but it doesn't erase your previous ones." She raised a hand, prepared to send a strong gust of wind to trip the long legs.

He wanted for her response... And waited... And waited... Okay damn she was taking a bit. Would she believe him? Would she just attempt to attack him thinking he was ready for a fight? Would she... Accept it even? The possibilities of what she would do was just... Almost endless you could say. As he continued to wait people started to whisper off to the side saying "Do you think they are gonna fight?" "Did you hear that?" "Is he lying?". He sighed as he heard those words, knowing they sounded stupid coming from him especially

When she finally responded he slightly smiled responding with a "Yeah I know... And I can't really explain why... Even I don't truly know, but I plan on living my life remotely... So no more trouble from me"

He said this in a calm manner even though it was obvious she didn't believe him, but all he wanted was just to get his word straight to her. When he saw her raise her hand, he knew what she was going to attempt to do. He nodded and he slowly began lowering, each piece of garbage going into their respective nearby cans. Plastic and metal in recycling, food waste in the trash and so on. He soon touched the ground with his feet, now looking up at her

To say Noir was speechless would be an understatement. Like a deer in the headlights, she could only watch as bits and pieces of Dr. Telk's extended legs started to get shorter and shorter. It seems like the crowd was no different. For a moment, only the clanging and jingling sound of trash moving around. The silence didn't last too long as hushed whispers began once more. People weren't running away anymore and instead watched the scene with rapt attention. It felt like a real life television episode. Still, Noir didn't know what to say.

Should she hand him off to the police?

She was fully aware of the zip ties in her back pocket for moments like this. Except usually criminals would be unconscious or resisting.

Should she let him go?

It wouldn't be the first time she let someone go. Sometimes, petty criminals steal for good reasons. Whether as Noir or Emily, she's seen far too many people pushed to desperation. She didn't know Dr. Telk's circumstances but despite their opposing sides, they weren't on bad terms. Not exactly good given their own circumstances, but not bad. She always tried to see the good in people. With a swipe of her hand, there was a continuously strong gust of wind that served as a barrier between them and the crowd. Her voice wouldn't be heard too well by the crowd either with the strength of the wind.

With the crowd's eyes closed to avoid getting dust in their eyes, she spoke. "I'll believe you this time," God knows how many times she's fallen for lies, but his actions seemed genuine. It would definitely be one hell of a ploy if it was a lie. "If I ever see you in the city committing crime, I won't hesitate to hand you over to the police, got it?" It may be a threat, but no different from her usual ones. There was no malice in her tone. With that said, she lowered herself, her boots touching the ground. Only an arm away, she extended a gloved hand, "Goodbye Dr. Telk, I can't say I'll miss you but I doubt you'll miss me either," She said with a chuckle, "You should go before, you know, the police catches up."

He watched as the crowd began to form a little, before the barrier formed between them and said crowd. He could still see them, but he couldn't hear them that well. He looked back up at her as she lowered and gently smiled.

"Thank you for believing me Noir. And I don't think you will, so don't be on your toes" he said with a small chuckle as well. She watched her extend her hand and he smiled and took it gently and shook it gently as well. "Well, I think I will miss you, so I guess the feelings are mutual" he said as he soon took his hand back

This was really confusing for himself as well, he couldn't believe he was doing all of this, and just because he felt feelings that weren't supposed to be there? Or were they? Did she feel the same? He was too scared to ask that question. He already had everything planned out for the rest of his life, he didn't need to be second guessing himself already. Two nearby plastic pieces began to float towards him, and he gently stepped on them, soon floating away. He looked back and sighed to himself. It was fun while it lasted. Soon he went over a building... And out of sight.

The crowd was confused, and fully thought Noir threatened him, so they slowly began clapping, which turned into cheering, and than chanting of her name. 'She did everything, and now she just threatened one of the biggest villians out of the city? What a true hero!' They thought

Dr Telk's figure slowly became smaller until he disappeared from sight. For a moment, she wondered why Dr. Telk would quit, but the thought was buried as she focused on her cheering audience. Someone said it was an end to an era and assuming what Dr. Telk said was true, then it would be. But only time will tell. As the sky changed from inky nights to the bright sunny days, and still no sign of even a single scrap moved. Each night, she would wait high in the rooftops to spot the familiar tuff of white and grey hair. It seemed that Dr. Telk meant his words. It was all over the news, the topic being discussed even days later. She couldn't blame them, it was a large feat - even if she didn't truly have a hand in it. Most were praises while there were some that criticized her for letting him go. No matter how the people felt, with the news that Noir doing the 'impossible', even petty thieves weren't so willing to commit crime anymore.

Emily was still as busy as ever but less crime meant that there was less of a need for Noir. All in all, life was peaceful. Dr. Telk played a larger part in her life than she thought and now that he's gone, life seemed...mundane. It'll only take a few days before she regrets the thought. Like a calm before the storm.

A week passed before the first attack. At first, it could have simply been a structural issue of a mall. Plenty of buildings in the city were made with subpar materials. There wasn't much she could do about corruption, unfortunately. There were no casualties save for destruction of property with Noir arriving just in time. She was lucky that she had to accompany her parents that day to the mall for a speech on their candidacy.

The second time wasn't as lucky. Noir was on the opposite side of the city and while there were bystanders injured, there were no casualties. It was always public places yet there was no sign of who. Whenever she inspected the rubble of the aftermath, it seemed as if someone had punched through the buildings, or melted through the supports. It was almost as if whoever did it was still testing things which meant that the attacks would most likely escalate. I take back when I asked for something interesting to happen.'