Post Deletion Reason

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

tsukasa

Pregnancy lover
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
When deleting a post on XenForo forums, the user is prompted to enter a reason for the deletion; this is useful for staff to relate post deletions to reasons, and compare them to events which may occur on the forum, and it could also be useful if exposed to the user as they will be able to see why they previously deleted something or why a staff member did. However, it's not always necessary to display this, especially when a member often deletes posts or when a post was made accidentally; the ability to show post deletion reasons in the thread(s) could be optional (whether enabled or disabled by default is irrelevant).

A highly annoying issue is that I frequently delete posts (daily basis over on Blue Moon Roleplaying, since they don't have a bump button for threads like Iwaku Roleplay does), and these posts, which are nothing more than updates to my thread or changelog and are subject to versioning, hence changing often, which leaves them in the thread; this will eventually build up over time and there will be more deleted post reasons than posts. Also, someone had posted something in one of my threads which was deleted by a staff member (thank you for that, since the post in question was quite sarcastic about my serious thread), and the reason remains in my thread in a distracting fashion.

Blue Moon Roleplaying doesn't show deleted posts or their reasons, it completely removes the post's existence for users, but I assume staff can see them.

Could this be a feature of Iwaku Roleplay?

I personally prefer letting members see a post was deleted and why, as it prevents a lot of "omg where did that post go!" issues! But I FOR SURE know that it makes a mess in well used threads.

Because of this, it's 100% okay to use our Moderation Request form to ask for your threads to be cleaned out of those soft deletes! As long as none of the deleted posts involve stuff needed for records, mods are happy to hard delete all that stuff out of the thread for you. :D

Reactions: tsukasa
I personally prefer letting members see a post was deleted and why, as it prevents a lot of "omg where did that post go!" issues! But I FOR SURE know that it makes a mess in well used threads.

Because of this, it's 100% okay to use our Moderation Request form to ask for your threads to be cleaned out of those soft deletes! As long as none of the deleted posts involve stuff needed for records, mods are happy to hard delete all that stuff out of the thread for you. :D
That works just as well as my request; "optionally" deleting is just asking a staff member to do it in this case, so this is effectively already a thing. I'll do that, then.

@Diana I used the method you proposed, and clearly stated that I wanted only the deleted posts removing, but my entire thread has been deleted...

Sorry about that, the moderator didn't read your request correctly! We'll have that fixed here in a jiffy!

Sorry about that, the moderator didn't read your request correctly! We'll have that fixed here in a jiffy!
I was confused, becuase I did specify what I wanted doing, but thanks for the fix.