Mermaid facts! Stories! Real or fake? Myths! All you could want and more!

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

kroyote

no longer you
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
I wanna hear all the nerdy things you got on mermaids. Do you think mermaids could possibly be real, or are they just stories to tell the kiddos in bed? Tell me mermaid facts or mythologies from any culture! Tell me a funky little story or something involving a mermaid! I wanna pick your brains <3

Here's my thoughts on if mermaids are real or fake: I kind of believe they are real. Do I have anything to back my thoughts up? Nope, BUT I do think mermaids aren't your typical pretty half human/half fish person. Think of evolution and creatures adapting to new enviornments. I'm not good at explaining my thoughts because they are always everywhere, but that's the gist of it.

I agree! I mean the ocean is so big and we haven't explored most of it, so who can really say?

• Love
Reactions: kroyote
truuue! mermaids don't necessarily have to live in warmer waters closer to the surface; they could definitely be in deeper, colder waters!

• Love
Reactions: Queen Tink
Honestly, I think that mermaids would be one of the less terrifying things we could pull out of the ocean. Even if they were a little slimy and toothy!

Apparently there have been several mermaids that have been attributed to manatees, which I think is VERY funny because they don't exactly have the physique we traditionally associate with mermaids, but I guess if you'd been at sea for six months and were dehydrated and had scurvy and hadn't seen a woman since you left port then a manatee sunning itself on a rock might be pretty sexy?

If you haven't seen Animal Planet's mockumentary on mermaids, it sure is a thing that exists. I saw it as a little kid and could not for the life of me figure out if it was real. It kept me up many a night.

• Bucket of Rainbows
hypothetically, if you think about it, the deep ocean is cold and if mermaids truly exist and they could be hanging out in the depths of the oceans where we don't have the technology to search! mermaids could possibly have some sort of physic like a manatee or a seal! blubber is a thick layer of fat that keeps animals warm in cold oceans temperatures 👀

Reactions: Spinda
hypothetically, if you think about it, the deep ocean is cold and if mermaids truly exist and they could be hanging out in the depths of the oceans where we don't have the technology to search! mermaids could possibly have some sort of physic like a manatee or a seal! blubber is a thick layer of fat that keeps animals warm in cold oceans temperatures 👀
Oh absolutely, it would be weird if mermaids WEREN'T blubbery! I wonder if they would have little beady eyes that don't absorb much light, or giant eyes that absorb every bit of it? The latter gives a kind of alien classic alien look.... Oh, what if I'm on to something here?

• Love
Oh absolutely, it would be weird if mermaids WEREN'T blubbery! I wonder if they would have little beady eyes that don't absorb much light, or giant eyes that absorb every bit of it? The latter gives a kind of alien classic alien look.... Oh, what if I'm on to something here?
oooh i love your brain thoughts !! kinda also makes me think of angler fish too!