Machinations of the Unnatural [Peregrine x Huntress]

As per her usual, Bevan remained silent, listening, learning, and following the man before her. He had taken a moment to prepare, donning a hat, coat, and belt upon returning to the room Bevan was waiting in. She leaned that the young man that had greeted her so excitedly had been named Alec. Something she'd recall if she'd have to return to the establishment. She had also learned that there was another member of staff named Garnet. Having only seen the two workers, Bevan concluded that the woman from the evening prior had most likely been Garnet.

Continuing to follow along, the red-head took a seat in the cabby. Pushing herself as far in as she could before watching Delin join her. She wondered if the man often took his employers with him on these sorts of contracts, or had this situation been different? Did he assume that she was capable of standing her own ground? He had mentioned the dangers of this whole situation, yet he was still bringing her along. As she turned to ask her question, Delin managed to speak before her.

"Uh—" She cleared her throat. "To be honest Mister Dencourt I don't know much. I'm not sure if it can be called research to begin with." She explained. "As I had mentioned, this all started with the death of my mother. It caused something in his mind to snap. I'm not sure if he hoped to find her, communicate with her or possibly bring her back in some twisted way." She clenched her jaw as she looked at the man next to her. "He obsessed over finding whatever answers he searched for. That is just a trait he's had his whole life. But with age, his mind has been deteriorating. His patience has grown extremely thin, his temper easy to set off if he grows frustrated." Bevan sighed slightly. "I've only recently returned home, mostly to care for him. He's been doing whatever this is for some time, he didn't often speak to me about his research. It seemed like he didn't trust me with that information. I've only caught segments of his ranting, mumbling to himself in his study." Bevan paused for a moment. "Anything he's worked on or discovered in regard to this whole, afterlife, spirits and ghosts situation he keeps hidden, locked away or on his person. And I'm not the type of person to poke and prod. I don't stick my nose in other people's business." She folded her arms across her chest breaking eye contact with Delin.

"My apologies for not being of much assistance." Her words were quiet. "Do you often bring those that employ you on dangerous supernatural escapades?" Bevan's arm's dropped as she glanced towards the man.

Delin listened to Bevan's explanation with a slightly severe expression on his face. A mixture of disappointment, concentration, and antipathy caused his brows to fold into wrinkles and a frown to tug at the corners of his lips. Even though it contained little information of value, it did nothing to ease the poor impression Delin had formed of Bevan's father. Witches and alchemists had never really gotten along, at least as far as Delin knew, and the witch had his own personal feelings towards anyone that messed with ghosts.

However, Bevan's next question drew his attention away from his circling thoughts, causing him to forcibly smooth out his expression as soon as he noticed it. His attitude had just been unprofessional at best, and downright offensive at worst. It certainly wasn't the kind of attitude to show a client, even just in passing.

"Thank you for telling me what you do know," he replied instead. "As for your question, it depends upon the employer. And what they're asking me to do. At a minimum, I will require you to direct me to the exact spot where you lost your father's trail, to make the ring easier to use. Beyond that, you are welcome to leave if you wish. However, firstly, there's no guarantee your father would follow me if I found him on my own, which would put both of us in a rather awkward situation. Secondly, nothing you've said leads me to believe this is going to be a particularly 'dangerous escapade'. I'm moving under the assumption that he actually found a location that has spirit activity because it's always better to be safe than sorry, but from the way you've described him that very well may not be the case. Thirdly…" At this point Delin paused, one brow lifting slightly. "Would you wish to stay behind even if I asked you to?"

Clecnhing her jaw as she studied the features of the man before her Bevan exhaled slightly before Delin spoke. He had seemed angry in some way, but the expression had only lasted a moment before softening. Listening to the man, Bevan was quick to break eye contact as he explained. Her cheeks growing a hint of rosiness as she was slightly embarrassed. She hadn't thought of it like that. She hadn't considered some of those possibilities. Letting out a small sigh she turned to look towards Delin once again. "I hadn't thought of it that way." She explained. "As the expert I would've considered your opinion important. But you are correct Delin, I most likely would have disagreed to stay behind, even if you had asked me." Perhaps it was best if she did not question his methods and processes. "My apologies. I shouldn't have questioned your ways." She nodded towards the man. After all, you went to him. She reminded herself.

Clearing her throat, she sat straight and placed her hands in her lap. "Are there any instructions I should follow upon arriving to our destination?" Her eyes turned towards him. She was good at following orders and instructions. "Anything I should be weary or cautious of? Other than the spirits of course." The questions were over, for now. Bevan simply wanted to be prepared, if there were threats, she wanted to know about them. She was confident that Mr. Dencourt could care for himself, but regardless of his capabilities the least she could do was be ready and aware but also capable of keeping him safe if she needed to intervene with something.

Last edited:
Delin laughed slightly, seeming satisfied that Bevan had confirmed his suspicion that she wouldn't wait behind. It wasn't hard to guess that Bevan cared about her father a great deal, and her response only further confirmed his suspicion. Such loyalty was praiseworthy. "It's fine," he replied, waving a hand casually through the air as though to brush aside her apology. "Asking questions is perfectly natural, and there's no reason for you not to, so long as we are in a safe situation."

After Bevan's second question, Delin looked thoughtful for a moment. "I will need to concentrate to initiate the tracking spell, but it is not particularly dangerous, just a simple resonance. It would be for the best, however, if the spell wasn't interrupted partway through. I don't know if there's enough remaining emotion in the ring to perform the spell a second time."

He considered the situation for a moment, before shaking his head slightly side to side. "As I said before, I don't have any reason as of yet to expect we will encounter anything particularly dangerous. Unless we actually encounter ghosts, I cannot think of much else we might potentially run afoul of. If for some reason that changes, I will be sure to let you know. At that point, I simply ask that you follow my instructions, preferably without question as I may not have the time to explain in full."

Reactions: Huntress