Do You Really? (Mystical Fox / artisticheart)

artisticheart

Edgepeasant
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Romance, Modern, Slice-of-Life, Fandom
When you think of a library, you might think of a building with stacks upon stacks of books, magazines, and learning materials. Everyone would be minding their own business as they browsed and perused through the books, and it would be so silent in that room that you could hear a pin drop.

If only high school libraries had that luxury.

It was thirty minutes before the first bell rang for school, and Ruby Morrison tried to read through the paragraph of her book yet another time. She deliberately paused after every word to keep herself focused, but another student - a boy - had thrown a small pencil. Ruby jumped visibly in her seat as it barely knicked the arm of her sweater.

"Sorry! Didn't mean for it to hit you!" the boy yelled.

Ruby now had a choice. Was she going to be petty and get the librarians (who were too busy eating breakfast to notice)? Or was she going to brush it off? Ruby chose the latter and gave the boy and his friends a small smile. "Oh... it's fine. Things happen," she replied as sweetly as she could muster. With that, her nose went back deep into her book.

Leo walked through the school with his shoulders hunched over and hands stuffed in his pocket. He was wearing a tight black t-shirt, with a leather jacket over it, paired with dark blue jeans, and black combat boots. Walking through the halls he could feel many eyes on him, which was usual, but still annoying. Then again he usually never went near the library, but here he was, walking toward that exact place. Sighing Leo ran his hand through his short blonde hair as he came upon the library. Looking in he could see his friends messing around, quietly. HIs best friend, Michael Kinsley was messing around with a pencil. Michael was a rather average dude. Slightly taller than most with an average build, Michael had shaggy brown hair and green eyes.

Another sigh escaped Leo's lips as he watched the pencil go flying through the air to nearly hit the only other person in here besides the librarians. Rolling his eyes Leo walked toward his friends a smirk on his face. Walking around there table Leo came to stand behind his friends pausing for a moment before taking a seat next to everyone as they said there hello's. Watching each of his friends faces Leo asked in a low voice, "What did you guys want to see me in here for?"

"Leo! Finally, you're here!" Michael replied in a low tone. "You're gonna love this, I mean it," Michael began.

"There's a girl--" Michael would move his head discreetly towards Ruby. "a lot of people have been talking about. She doesn't do anything - partying, smoking, cursing, none of it. But I think, and hear me out on this, I think you two could you know... kind of hit it off!"

Another student, Scott, spoke up next. "What he really means: he dares you to ask her out."

Michael looked mock-offended. "What?! Noooo," he defended. "I genuinely want you to ask her out... but I also am betting you'll get turned down."

He didn't know what to expect when he got here, but this sure wasn't it. To ask out a girl he doesn't even know? Most importantly a girl he was dared to ask out. Leo knew he had to agree or his reputation would start to crumble. As far as anyone knows he's never turned down a dare or a bet. A smirk came to his face as he turned to Michael. "Oooo I know that look!" Another friend, Andy, exclaimed quietly.

"Alright, I'll ask her out, but if I don't click with her after a month I'm dumping her," Leo stated looking over at the girl for a brief second before turning back to Michael. A smirk still played on his face as he leaned forward slightly. "Do we got a deal?" Leo questioned.

Michael smirked back at Leo and held his hand out to shake on it. "Indeed we do," he replied. "Now all you have to do is ask her out before the end of the day today!"

As soon as Michael had explained the guidelines, Ruby had started packing her books. She slung her backpack over her shoulder and pushed her chair in. She caught Michael looking at her, and she nodded with an awkward but polite smile before walking out of the library.

Once Ruby was out of the library, Michael spoke up. "So, what do you think she's really like?"

With a roll of his eyes Leo shook Michael's hand, of course he was going to make a big deal out of this. Shaking his head Leo watched the girl he was going to ask out leave the library. What was he name again? Oh, yea, Ruby. Huh, she was pretty enough with her wild black hair and mocha skin. Smirking Leo thought of what he would say to her. Maybe he'll just ask her on a date first. Oh but where? "Alright, I'm going to go ask her and get this over with," Leo said as he existed the library completely ignoring his friends comment.

As Leo walked he began to think of what Ruby was like. Was she like what everyone said she was like or did she have a wild side to her? Oh he hoped she had a wild side to her. Smirking Leo turned a corner and saw her, standing at her locker. Sauntering over Leo cleared his throat to get her attention before speaking, "So, Ruby. I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me. Say this Friday?"

"Don't get dumped!" Michael said as Leo left.

"Okay..." Ruby whispered to herself. "This one's for history, project due on the 1st..." She was writing on a small, magnetic to-do list stuck in the inside of her locker. She heard Leo clear his throat and Ruby looked around until she laid eyes on Leo. "Oh, um...hello?" she greeted awkwardly.

What was Leo doing, talking to her? Not that she was into this social hierarchy of school (the thought of it made her eyes roll), but Leo and Ruby barely spoke with each other. They had one class together, but they didn't really speak much unless they were paired up for work. So needless to say, this sudden request was... shocking.

"Y-You...want to go on a date with me?" she asked. "But we barely know each other!"