PROMPT Coming Out Short Story Activity

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

MiharuAya

Memento Mori
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
My timezone is PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies

Not_gonna_hide_my_pride.png

In honor of Pride Month, we'd love to welcome you to this exciting activity where members of both the LGBTQ+ community and allies will be able to show support through this creative writing project.

The objective is to write a "Coming Out" short story, between 100 to 500 words. The short story is allowed to be either fiction or non-fiction and can be about a character, yourself, or someone you know.

Coming out is a big moment in a queer person's life, so remember to treat it with sensitivity and respect. If you are an ally, try and imagine yourself in their shoes and how intimidating the unknown and potential prejudices might be.

✨Rainbow Stars at Night: a coming out short story✨
Characters: Two characters of mine. A were-tiger named Delilah and a Dragon disguised as a human, named Ken. They are Chosen Siblings who are part of a lovely Chosen Family.
Word Count: 498
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Multi-colored stars twinkled brilliantly in the serene, obsidian sky. Each sparkling light was uniquely beautiful in its own way. Just a big rainbow family where you could always be yourself. One can only admire such a perfect existence. In the eyes of Ken, the stargazer, the night sky looked like home.

Taking up a seat beside him was his sister, Delilah. They weren't related by blood, but they grew up in the same orphanage and proved to be inseparable. "Yo, Ken?" she softly spoke, stretching her denim-covered legs across the grass. "Cool if I hang here with ya?" Delilah's friendly alto voice wore a thick, Brooklyn accent.

"Of course," he answered simply, keeping his eyes on the sky. Delilah joined him in the calm activity of stargazing, her hands planting on the ground behind her so she could lean back on her arms.
She was quiet for a moment before sighing and saying, "Y'know how like…I've dated a lotta different people?" The way she phrased that made her want to hit herself in the face.

"Yes?" Ken answered, waiting for more information.

"Uh, well. Y'know how all of 'em were dudes and how things, like, never worked out with them?" she added, bobbing her head back and forth nervously.

"Yes," Ken said once more.

"Well. I met someone who is…not a dude. A really nice girl, actually. Her name's Hana," Delilah finally revealed, blushing slightly as she spoke her girlfriend's name. "We're really happy and doin' great."

"I see," her brother commented, punctuating the words with a gentle, affectionate snort. "Congratulations, sister. I'm happy for you."

Smiling at the man, she replied, "Heh, thanks. I guess…that's really all I came to say. You're my bro and my best friend, Ken. I wanted someone to know this about me."

"That you're gay?" he asked, smirking.

"Yes," she chuckled, turning her head to stick her tongue out at him. "Very much so. And I guess I just… I already feel like such an outsider… And… This makes me feel even more like that?" Sighing through her nostrils, she returned her gaze to the sky.

"I understand," Ken told her so very truthfully.

"You…do?" she asked, accidentally pulling her own arms from under herself. She was just so surprised by this info that she was about to flail, but instead, she thudded down onto the grass.

Chuckling at her reaction, he nodded and answered, "Yes, I do."

Delilah half-smiled at him with love and sympathy. "Did the other dragons…like that very much?" she wondered, hoping he wouldn't mind the question.

"At first? No. But they've learned to accept me for who I am. Most of them, anyway," he said, smiling back at her.

"Huh. Damn," she commented, joining her hand with his. "Well, I love ya, Kenny. No matter what, we're in this together. Bro and Sis forever?"

"Forever," he agreed, squeezing her hand back. And then the two of them laid in silence, admiring the rainbow stars all night long.

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya