Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.

Self-Imposed Experimentation?

Have you been wanting to improve your writing, but you don't know where to start? Do you struggle with feeling like your writing isn't up to your own standards?

First of all, there is nothing wrong with those feelings. There is nothing wrong as well if you want to stay at your current skill level, too. Writing is masturbatory in that it is all done for the enjoyment of the person writing.

For you who is still here with a desire to push yourself and your writing to places that are hard to reach with practice alone. These challenges are crafted to help force your mind to think more about the mechanics and techniques of writing. They should stretch your understanding of the craft and increase your mental flexibility.

The best part, however, is that you are only beholden to yourself. Take your time, get to know yourself as a writer, and have fun experimenting with writing that you don't need to show anyone else unless you want to.

Step One:

Make a blog, thread, or challenge journal for yourself using your favored writing medium.
  • Make sure that if you post your challenge writings online, you follow tagging etiquette and the rules of your hosting website.
  • Take your time and make it easy to write in by adjusting appearance and other options to your tastes.

Step Two:

Create rules for yourself to follow that apply to all of your challenge writing.
  • These rules are separate from the actual challenges, and are intended to encourage healthy effort.
  • Examples include setting a specific daily wordcount, a specific amount of time, or disallowing edits during the actual writing process.

Step Three:

Select your challenge.
  • Remember to pace yourself and take a break between challenges, but do keep to your daily writing as much as you're reasonably able.
  • Agree to forgive yourself for "failures". You will mess up, and that is a very important part of the process.

The List:

• For one month, avoid using to-be verbs.
  • For one month, include a character with a speaking role who avoids using articles in their speech.
  • For one month, write a new short story idea every day.
  • For one week, write a scene with a brand new character each day.
  • For two weeks, write as though the narrator is either blind or deaf.
  • For one month, avoid all adverbs.
  • For one month, avoid all adjectives.
  • For two weeks, write only simple sentences.
  • For two weeks, write using no periods, dashes, colons, or semicolons.
  • For two weeks, write stories that feature only dialog.
  • For two weeks, write stories that feature no dialog.
  • For two weeks, avoid words longer than two syllables.
  • For two weeks, write fiction in the style of an academic paper.
  • For one week, write only in a specific written meter (of your choice).
  • For two weeks, write while wearing a blindfold.

• Useful
Reactions: Nemopedia