Apple or Android?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

TELL ME

• APPLE SUPREMACY

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • ANDROID SUPREMACY

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • SOMETHING ELSE SUPREMACY???

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • YOU FOOL. I DON'T EVEN HAVE A PHONE!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WHY ARE WE YELLING

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
Not quite. The EU law only pertains to charging, not data. Non-wireless headphones won't be affected by this-- there would have been an uproar in the audiophile community if people's fancy analog headphone setups were forced to be USB-C in the future.
It does affect headphones and data-only devices. It means all small accessories must use a USB-C connector. The point is to unify all accessories and ports to reduce waste and problems for consumers. The only exceptions are devices too small to have a USB-C connector. The article I posted clearly states headphones, mice, keyboards, and other small accessories. I don't know any chargeable keyboards which aren't battery-powered when wireless; if someone knows of this, I'd like to see one. Perhaps it could mean just in case one does exist.

It does affect headphones and data-only devices. It means all small accessories must use a USB-C connector. The point is to unify all accessories and ports to reduce waste and problems for consumers. The only exceptions are devices too small to have a USB-C connector. The article I posted clearly states headphones, mice, keyboards, and other small accessories. I don't know any chargeable keyboards which aren't battery-powered when wireless; if someone knows of this, I'd like to see one. Perhaps it could mean just in case one does exist.
After reading it again, perhaps it does mean charging connectors. It's easy to misinterpret it based on their terminology. I'm not the only one it seems who fell for that.

Reactions: Astoria
I switched from Android to Apple. Both have terrible and shitty business practices
I'd like to clarify that Android isn't a single OS (as stated in my previous post), it's simply an open-source codebase which manufacturers/OEMs use to create their own operating systems; Samsung created One UI, OnePlus created OxygenOS, Xaiomi created MIUI etc. Ever wonder why different "Android" phones have different features, menu designs, available settings etc? That's why.

Android doesn't have business practices, because it isn't a business and Google doesn't sell Android (it's free as in both cost and freedom to modify). If there's an issue with Android, it's with the individual manufacturers/OEMs, not Android.

Last edited:
I switched from Android to Apple. Both have terrible and shitty business practices
I'd like to clarify that Android isn't a single OS (as stated in my previous post), it's simply an open-source codebase which manufacturers/OEMs use to create their own operating systems; Samsung created One UI, OnePlus created OxygenOS, Xaiomi created MIUI etc. Ever wonder why different "Android" phones have different features, menu designs, available settings etc? That's why.

Android doesn't have business practices, because it isn't a business and Google doesn't sell Android (it's free as in both cost and freedom to modify). If there's an issue with Android, it's with the individual manufacturers/OEMs, not Android.

Yeah, I'm aware and was just generalizing Google... yet all of those companies you mentioned are terrible in their own ways too. I used to run custom ROMs years ago when Android as a whole wasn't so locked down and I had more time to fiddle around with stuff like that.

Always preferred Android. Perhaps the difference is minimal but my phone has lasted me far longer than any Apple product that my friends own.

I used to run custom ROMs years ago when Android as a whole wasn't so locked down
Yes. Unfortunately, the only devices in existence today which allow easy (without hacks) and freedom-respecting unlocking of the bootloader are carrier-unlocked Google Pixels, Fairphone 3 and 4, and some OnePlus models; others may, but I haven't come across them. Out of all of those I just mentioned, the only one which does it properly and in a secure manner with everything intact is Google Pixel (perhaps ironic, but that's the reason most good AOSP forks only officially support those devices), which not only allows you to unlock the bootloader to install another OS, it keeps all of the features and security model of the stock OS intact, allows you to sign the OS with your own key, and doesn't even void the warranty of the device if you do install your own OS. What's funny (or not) about that is Pixels are the baseline reference devices, meaning they should be the worst Android devices and all forks should be better than that; since not a single other device comes close, it shows how bad every other OEM is. In the case of some Xaiomi devices, locking the bootloader with your own key after getting your own OS installed will hard-brick the device and it will never boot again.

If AOSP was released under a copyleft license such as GPLv3 which forces bootloader unlocking to be available to users of the software even in forks, companies would just drop Android (and Linux in general) and move to completely proprietary OSes and kernels, making the situation much worse. I'm not going to turn this political, but I think the cause of this lack of freedom and the "Applization" of Android is down to business practices focused on making money and not much else; it's the same reason I use Linux on my PCs and servers, not Windows or macOS. It's a pretty sad reality we live in.

Android. Apple products were always to pricey for what they did compared to the multitude of android is using phones. Since I started working with the company I currently work with, I learned the technical departments use android by choice where as sales and HR use apples. I trust the formers recommendations on what phone to buy more than the latter.

If someone gave me an apple I'd be kind of fudged. Last apple product I used was a second gen iPod touch.

I'm gonna admit, I've heard a mix of things about apple and android/PC products, and anecdotally I fully believe that quality wise, it is usually possible to find similar-quality devices for similar prices across the board. I've heard amazing things about Apple products and shit things about them. Same with PCs and android phones. My husband uses an ancient iPhone SE bc he loves small phones and can't give up on the headphone jack. I stopped using wired headphones years ago, on the other hand bc I work in a lab, and having free hands and being able to walk away from your device to work is extremely important for me, so I basically didn't even notice the transition, and i now have a flip phone, which is plenty small enough for me. The only thing I WILL say is a quality trend I've noticed is that Apple phones take worse pictures. Dunno why, that's just been true of everyone I know who's had an apple phone (and im not counting my husband's SE here, bc that machine is super old).

That said. I both ideologically and practically despise apple products. LOL. I just hate how clearly desperate apple is to impose a monopoly so people who use one thing are dependent on their products and can't switch easily. Not to mention earlier in the game their products were way pricier than something of similar quality in the other sphere (I find I no longer see that to be true anymore, but what do I know, I'm a basic consumer). I've also had to use apple products plenty of times, and somehow I can NEVER get used to them. The reverse scrolling built in, the "Finder," the fact that the close window stuff are color-coded buttons instead of actual big symbols, all of it. Not to mention, none of the iPhones have back buttons, like what the hell, I'd rather have that than a button to turn my ringer off (though that would be nice, too, ngl), and there's no intuitive way to get to settings on the iPhones, or at least I struggle no matter how often I've touched one. Usually I'm pretty good at navigating new technology, but I swear I become an absolute boomer when I have to use apple products. I know this is just a personal thing, but my brain just DOES NOT with apple products. Absolutely nothing is intuitive no matter how often I use them.

Android, mostly because Apple products are incredibly overpriced.

I used to do android phones exclusively until my last move where I got one of the cheapies and the storage was so low it didn't have room to update the apps it already had on it. It was a piece of junk in a lot of other ways to but my wife at the time convinced me to get an iPhone letting me play with her phone a little bit and get used to how things worked and opening closing windows and all that and she convinced me to get one. I got it she showed me how to use it and it's been fine ever since so I really don't have a preference either way.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who've owned both brands for a significant amount of time each. So I feel like I can weigh in a bit on this debate, they both have their pros but overwhelmingly I prefer Samsung. I had apple for a long time, most of high school and into my adult life. Before I made the plunge to dive into samsung and I don't regret it.

I'll admit there's some things I miss like being able to send videos that don't look like ass and having more availability for apps. But I love Samsung's ability to customize my phone however I want, I love the battery life, I love my little pen, I absolutely love my Samsung and glad I made the scary plunge to swith. Everyone in my family had apple, I was made fun of for swithing. But eventually I got my mom to switch and she loves her samsung as well. It does suck that the amount of stuff available for Samsungs is less than apple, especially cases. Finding cute cases is a PAIN.

I do still have my iPad which I use for other random stuff, I can't compare it to Samsung'S tablet as I haven't used theres. I will say apples battery life also sucks on the iPad. The battery life was a big reason I switched, it was just terrible on apple and after less than 2 years it would crap out EVERY SINGLE TIME with every apple phone I owned. My Samsung can go HOURS playing videos on max brightness it's amazing

I had a Pixel 2 that I was very satisfied with, but past its due date there were no batteries available to change in what was still a very capable phone. So I turned to Apple that has way better first party support, and didn't look back.