Writing Explorations: Week 84, Leaving

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

The Mood is Write

Mom-de-Plume
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
Online Availability
It varies wildly.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
My Writing Explorations series of exercises are a chance for users to explore new concepts and practice the art of raising two fingers to Writer's Block while screaming obscenities to fickle muses: to rebel against the idea that a person requires a mythical force inside them to make new and amazing things.

No. Listen well, users: there is no being inside you waiting to be let out. You are the writer, and in this exercise, you are given a place to push not only against Writer's Block, but also against the forces of stagnation. Feel trapped in your genre? Explore a new one! Stuck with a singular archetype? Do something else! In this thread, you will not be critiqued unless you request it. Should you wish it, I will happily offer my thoughts on how it might be improved, but I will not comb looking for fixes: this isn't the place: this place is for safely trying new things and indulging a love of writing.

Shake the bars of your cell block and roar, writers!

[fieldbox=How do I take part?]You can write to one or more (or none) of the prompts, the theme in the thread title, the bonuses—hell, you can even cast aside all of what I offer if you get a different idea.

The whole point is "get writing!"[/fieldbox]

Prompts:
  1. With that, she walked into the rain and didn't look back. That was the last time anyone ever saw her.
  2. "How could an entire school disappear?"
  3. They almost didn't recognize the city they once called home. Who knew so much could change in 200 years.

Bonus Rounds:
  • Write in a random genre.
  • She looked up at him, tears filling her already-swollen eyes, "But why? Why would you love me?"
    He tightened his grip, pulling her more snugly into his embrace. "Because you bug me, weirdo."
  • "Mum! He's turned the gravity off again!"
  • "It's a long story."
    "You conned me into thinking you were dead for eleven months. I have time."
  • "I've found puddles deeper than you."

"Mum! He's turned the gravity off again!"

Emily whined from the ceiling as her brother "knelt" against the wall where he was screwing down a screw for one of his paintings. His shoulders fell as his younger sister flailed around the light fixture, trying to reorient herself. Coming to her call, their mother burst into the room, looking immediately to the ceiling, and she glared at Barry, who threw his hands into the air in frustration.

"I told her I would, and she still wanted to be in here!" Barry shot back.

"Nuh uh! Mum said not to use gifts in the house!" Emily whined.

"Barry..." his mother warned slowly.

"Fine, fine," he sighed, the ten-year-old floating down, along with his younger sister. At the last moment, his 'gift' cut off, and his sister landed hard on her arm. She yelped and glared at her older brother, before slinging out an arm towards him. A toy car sitting on the floor flew up to hit him in the face, and he shouted in pain.

"Enough!" their mother shouted, and the house rattled momentarily. "I have told you before to keep it in check."

The two sullenly stood there before her as she glared down at them. She sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose.

"I know. It's hard. You just figured out what you can do, but there are people out there who are watching. Even here," she warned, getting down to their level. "Alright?"

She caressed their faces, the two scuffing the ground. She stood up and put her hands on her hips.

"Alright. Well, we're going to Mrs. Dally's, so you need to get cleaned up. We need to clean up the place a little before we leave. Barry, I need you to go ahead and finish your laundry. Emily, can you please go get your toys out of the yard?"

"But Mum, it's raining!"

"Oh, honey, you're not made of sugar, you won't melt. You've got a raincoat. Besides, don't you want to jump in the puddles?" she asked with a small, secret smile, and Emily rocked on her heels.

"Alright, get on, now."

With that, the two went their separate ways, Barry sticking out his tongue at his sister and Emily threatening with a pulled back fist before he dashed off. Emily walked out into the foyer and grabbed her bright blue raincoat before putting on a pair of matching boots. Out the front door she went, huffing to herself as she saw that she had left whole crowds of barbies, plastic bikes, and jump ropes in the yard. She failed to notice the black SUV parked across her drive way.

With that, she walked into the rain and didn't look back. That was the last time anyone ever saw her.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: The Mood is Write
Lisette sat and looked at her reflection in the mirror and smiled. Hair perfectly straightened, make-up applied to accent all her best features and downplay the others, and an outfit to DIE for what could be better? She was ready for the best night of her life.

She came down the stairs slowly in her new high heels and twirled in the kitchen for her family's inspection, "How do I look?"

"Beautiful as always Sweetheart," he father said.

"Thanks Daddy...be back later....Jamie is bringing us all home in her mom's SUV."

"Before twelve Missy..." came her mother's voice drifting behind her.

"I KNOW!" she called over her shoulder as she left out the front door and climbed into the bright blue SUV with her friends.

They laughed and compared make-up and outfits all the way to the dance. These dances were an every Friday event once football season ended, but the first one was always a bit special as it was completely stag only. No one was to come as a couple, though some would immediately cling to their normal significant other, most would just come and mingle happily with everyone. Lisette was hoping to get a minute with Jefferson Hartley IV. He was the son of the richest man in town, and she was determined to snap him as hers before the end of the night.

They made a dramatic entrance and the whole crowd looked over when the doors slammed open and bounced off the walls. Lisette loved the attention and smiled a blinding smile at the room as she stepped inside and looked around for Jefferson. Much to her disappointment some nerdy girl had him cornered, but she could easily put a stop tot hat.

She grabbed some punch and 'accidentally spilled it on the nerdy girl's shirt, "Oh sorry...I didn't see you there."

"Um...yeah..no problem..I'll just go...clean it up..."

"You totally should, this stuff stains." She smiled as the other girl left for the restroom and she stood closer to Jefferson. "So, I am Lisette." she announced. "Why aren't you dancing?"

"I don't dance."

"What? Sure you do. Everyone does."

"I don't."

"Why not?"

"Frankly, it's ridiculous."

Lisette shrugged, "It's good exercise." She leaned closer, "And it's a good way to cop a feel...thought all boys knew that."

Jefferson leaned away. "Is there some reason you are talking to me?"

"Well I thought that might be obvious. Because I like you."

"Why?"

"What kind of a question is that? What's not to like?"

"Plenty I should think."

"Nothing I can see."

"Ah yes of course. You are...how shall i say this? I have seen puddles with more depth than you."

"What do poodles have to do with depth?"

His eyes widened and he looked at her for a moment as if trying to ascertain whether or not he some sort of prank was being played on him. "Surely you are not that stupid?"

"Wait what?" she asked frowning, "that was mean...."

"You see...something to dislike already."

"Why don't you like me?" she asked crossing her arms, "And don't bother saying you do, because I can tell you don't."

"Why would I say I do? You are vapid, ridiculous, grasping and obviously desperate to cling to someone of worth and position."

"Stop using words I don't understand and say what you mean."

"Very well. You are stupid, pointless, and only spoke to me in hopes to getting me to buy you something, or take you somewhere."

The fact that he knew what she was up to didn't really bother her as much as being called stupid. She knew it, but to have other people say it crushed her soul. Her lower lip quivered and she ran for the doors.

Her friends saw her and thought it was a theatrical exit, so they let her have the glory of it.

Lisette got to the main exit and it was raining but she ran out into the rain and disappeared. No one ever saw her again.

• Nice Execution!
@Doctor Jax
Ok, that was freaking cute, and you pulled off writing young children really dang well! I'm a little scared for the family, though, with Emily suddenly disappearing. :o Spooky!

@PoetLore
Ahaha, I feel for Jefferson, honestly! Lisette's disappearance is worrisome, but could lead to suuuuch a great mystery story! I love it!

• Thank You
Reactions: Doctor Jax
@The Mood is Write

Thanks a lot! I have a ton of inspiration to draw on, seeing as I literally married into about 13 nieces and nephews.....

• Love
@The Mood is Write

Thanks a lot! I have a ton of inspiration to draw on, seeing as I literally married into about 13 nieces and nephews.....
I'm torn between congratulating you and offering my condolences for so many niblings. lol!

Great job observing and learning how they act, regardless!