Will books disappear?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
What's so foolish about choosing books for your students at the end of a session? It seems like an endearing sort of gesture and shows an interest in the wellfare of the students and not just collecting a paycheck.

Also why am I recalling some sci fi show joking about how despite the advent of computers there's more paperwork (physical papers) then ever before?

But more importantly this article.

It was very endearing actually, especially when he got a book for a student who already read the book, or had it at home. He legitimately felt bad, rummaged around in his box and found another book he thought the person would like. He's probably one of the most well meaning professors I've ever had to be honest.

No, no they will not?

Reason # 1:

People love libraries. We love the archetecture, we love being surrounded by all the books we love, libraries are warm, personal places, to a real book fanatic they are almost holy ground.

Reason # 2:

Nobody ever opened a file on their Kindle, held it to their face, breathed deeply and sighed happily at that new-download smell.

Reason # 3:

Because of the way our brains work when we're using something with a screen, we NEED breaks from electronics for the health of our eyes especially. Books, drawing with pencils, playing music with physical instruments, etc, are a health necessity.

Reactions: Zen
I believe the general public will move toward E-book's of some kind yes. Do I think that it will be 'un cool' no I think it'll be considered 'retro cool' and will become a bit of a 'fashion' like how China Cabinets are viewed as a nice collection. I think things like Encyclopedia Bratanica (Which to my knowledge no longer makes copies or so I was lead to believe) will become prized possessions. However I can see things moving towards the E world. it's cheaper, lighter, and more accessible to most handicapped individuals. It's convenient, and many of the E-readers have a 'narrator' function tot hem now which will allow for hands free reading on the go at the drop of a hat. To support the idea that people are heading towards E-writings my college campus is encouraged to NOT print anything and send everything via Email or other paperless methodology. Our teacher even passed out homework via mandatory flash drives!

Heck we even did math on a PC and had the PC grade it! and our 'work'

So I guess I cans ee it happening.