POLL DISCUSSION What Tools Help You To Write?

What sounds do you use while writing?

• Music (any, with or without lyrics)

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Music (NO LYRICS)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Music (Lyrics can only exist if I don't understand the language used)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Music (ambience tracks only).

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Natural sounds in my own environment.

• Depends on the content, sometimes lyrics, sometimes I need no lyrics.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • SILENCE.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • oThER, U FO0L.

• Total voters

sele

Edgepeasant
Original poster
SASA LELE
DONATING MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
WFH so I'm flexible and around!
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy (any era; just about any style - dark, soft, low, high, etc), Supernatural, Post-Apocalyptic, Space Opera, a blend of genres
I sometimes wonder what people use to help set the writing mood!

I imagine music is up there for people (and even that varies - ambient sounds, music without lyrics, specific music with lyrics, etc).

I also use scents to help pull my mind into the right place. I have perfume oils that I associate with either a type of scene or specific characters - those really help to immerse me. Sometimes I burn candles (both for the scent, and just the pleasantness of the flicker).

Yall know I go feral for coffee. That does help me to also pump up my energy/focus before writing, especially ahead of longer posts.

What tools do you use? Do specific locations or times of day help you out?

SHARE, HELP US OUT!

For me, it's always music. If I need something to get me into a writing mood, music is my go to. I can just jam out and write. I know that's basically a lot of people's go to tbh tho.

Reactions: sele
Music or ambient sound.

Right now when I am working on posties (not actual work) Ive been listening to a 12hr Warp Core ambience from Star Trek. Thats the only thing needed for me to concentrate. No music with lyrics cause then i'll just jam out to that.

Music or ambient sound.

Right now when I am working on posties (not actual work) Ive been listening to a 12hr Warp Core ambience from Star Trek. Thats the only thing needed for me to concentrate. No music with lyrics cause then i'll just jam out to that.
Oh wtf why does this actually sound soothing? XD Star Trek ambience!!

I've never used scents before 🤔 I love perfume and have a nice collection now left by my mother. O:

BUT I USE MUSIC. Any music is good, but I make playlists specifically for my roleplays that have songs that have the right vibe, of fit a character, or help relay the story. >:D

If I don't have a playlist yet for a roleplay, I'll find a premade one that is close enough. Or one of those extra long videos that have a named vibe to them. And it just plays in the background for the a m b i a n c e. this has been today's music

• Love
Reactions: Megasis and sele
I use my favourite music (which is like 90 hours long so its always different but its still my favourites)

(has to be updated)

Oh I realize I didn't actually answer this. I just got excited about Star Trek and squeed and then left LOL

I listen to all sorts of music when I write! Some of it is instrumental and ambient and some have lyrics! I make a playlist of songs that fit the mood of pretty much every major character/rp/story I write
My spotify has like a hundred playlists by now XDD

Music is great for inspo & motivation! I love making playlists. Unfortunately, my brain isn't always good at multitasking, so I typically just write in silence.

As for other tools: dictionary/thesaurus, spreadsheet w/ all my favorite words, GOOGLE, coffee, a notebook or piece of paper, and a pen. Whenever I'm struggling with writer's block, I ditch the keyboard and write by hand. Works almost every time.

• This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Reactions: sele and Megasis
When it comes to music I used to make mood playlists. I don't so much anymore because I don't listen to music a whole lot at the moment, but it's a fun tool! Super helpful for motivation.

Other things I use for RPing - PINTEREST. I have boards for every one of my stories. And it's such an easy thing to browse at any point in time for a few minutes. Charrie clothing, environment scenes, vibes for setting - it's perfect when it cooperates.

Also my heated blanket and a tea latte >:3 If I'm not writing I'm falling asleep from the comfort.

Also also, just started using Trello for tracking info for my stories and as a queue for which story I write for next. That's been really nice! For those of you that haven't, check it out, it's a super nice tool for organization!

@Diana – try the perfume, see if it adds a layer of inspiration \o/.

I frickin love ambient tracks. Sometimes layering an environment's ambiance with instrumental music I choose turned down is an audio vibe, too.

I've got a few Spotify playlists for either worlds, characters, or broad vibes, too ayyy! It's crazy how helpful that is, or as was mentioned, using outside existing playlists that have the right feel. SAVES ON BUILDING ONE BAHAH. Or, cannibalize songs from an outside playlist into one of your own >: D.

@Ardent
Honestly I forgot about how often I use a dictionary and thesaurus to double-check the intent on words I'm choosing, or to grab some desired alliteration of some sort. GOOGLE, TOO. Man, all the research for the various people and places I personally have no experience with... SO MUCH RESEARCH. At the very least, to make things feel immersive enough on the surface. I'm all for there being some flex in the worlds we create, but it's nice to give some semblance of believability (I literally just checked Google on "believability" because I got the red-line of death in my doc here and I doubted myself lol).

So that reminds me - I also use a side doc to write in, too, just to double up on not losing my content. I either use Open Office or Google Docs and periodically paste into the draft. If the web page fails me, or the doc fails me, my hope is a draft was saved in one or the other (or both). Google Docs is especially good for that, though, since it's saving so frequently. Though Open Office is also really good about recovery, too. I also hold my draft in my control+c lmao. I'm sure we've all had lost-draft traumas haha.

Writing by hand is such a good idea! I used to rely on that so much more. Something in the traditional, tactile experience of it is inspiring in its own way.

I also save lines that I randomly realize fit a character on my phone if I'm nowhere near my pc. You know, Shower Thoughts:tm: or while you're drifting to sleep and inspiration trolls you. I've lost some prose I was confident I'd remember – and then all I remembered was that I couldn't remember something cool lmao.

@Megasis I frickin LOVE the mood playlists >: D. Also! I totally forgot about Pinterest (which we even use in our own threads lmao)! But that really is such a good tool, too! Filling the senses (in this case, visually) really helps with the immersion, as well as the grasp on who we see our characters as, or how we see their worlds. I dang well know a LOT of people use Pinterest, or harvest images from there to make moodboards. We all just forgot / took it for granted BAHAHA.

I think I'd pass out with a heated blanket – haha like you say, FROM COMFORT. I do have my 2 blankets with me while I write, though!

I started using Trello recently, too! A friend reminded me of it and it's really helped save me from forgetting cool plot points or character nuances. It helps to keep me on track in general, and it's SO satisfying checking a box or moving a card >: D.

Dang, I loved reading through what yall use. I bet there's more tools out there, or unique shuffles to the ones mentioned that work better for each individual.

• Love
Reactions: Ardent and Megasis
I almost always write to music, or ambient sounds. Sometimes I can write to lyrical music (most times), but sometimes I have to turn it off and listen to an instrumental piece (or ambience). As far as scents go, I like candles, but I hadn't thought of using them to help with writing, despite actually associating the smell of one of mine with a roleplay already. I might have to play around with that.

One thing that helps me, is switching from writing digitally to writing on paper with a pen. Lately, I haven't been doing this, but often (especially for longer posts), I'll write them traditionally before rewriting them digitally. There is something extremely satisfying to me about ink on paper, and the physicality feeling of writing it out that way.

@ArdentSo that reminds me - I also use a side doc to write in, too, just to double up on not losing my content. I either use Open Office or Google Docs and periodically paste into the draft. If the web page fails me, or the doc fails me, my hope is a draft was saved in one or the other (or both). Google Docs is especially good for that, though, since it's saving so frequently. Though Open Office is also really good about recovery, too. I also hold my draft in my control+c lmao. I'm sure we've all had lost-draft traumas haha.

Oh mannn. I forgot to mention Google Docs. But yes! I also use it. 😂 I've lost too many rp posts to Iwaku's reply box. That reminds me: OneNote is also p handy especially if you've got bigger projects! 110% recommend it

I also save lines that I randomly realize fit a character on my phone if I'm nowhere near my pc. You know, Shower Thoughts:tm: or while you're drifting to sleep and inspiration trolls you. I've lost some prose I was confident I'd remember – and then all I remembered was that I couldn't remember something cool lmao.

I know this feeling all too well. :')

My notes app is unbelievably messy at this point. I don't even remember half the stuff I put on there, lmao.