Myths of Thalassana: The Cursed Stones of Light

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hopsman is quite a gentleman in this tavern," smiled Paragonis quietly as the bartender went to the storeroom. "You'll find quite a few friends on this journey, Bingo, and I think you'll be the better for it. But we shall see what becomes of these magic stones when we get to where we are going. It is my hope that greed," and here he gives a serious look at the halfling gambler he addresses, "will give way to reasonableness in this case, but that has been proven not to be the case all too many times."

Bingo looked down at his hairy feet and kicked the counter. "I'm not greedy... You're just jealous."

The wizard chuckled as Hopsman came by with some fresh turnovers and mugs of the tavern's famous ale. "Jealous? Me, a wizard of the High Council? My dear Bingo, why on earth would you think me jealous? Ah, thank you, Hopsman. Here!"

He placed a small bag of dust into the bartender's hand along with gold pieces. "For your wonderful service over these decades, I think you deserve a blessing. Do feel free to place it anywhere where you brew! May your ale be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!"

Hopsman's eyes widened as he received the talisman, and bowed to the wizard before hurrying off to help the other customers. The wizard smiled, then turned back to the halfling.

"Bingo, my good friend, there are many things in this world, for good or for ill. Money itself is but a tool, and often a very good tool at that, but excess and wanton desire of it can lead to a bitter end. I hope you might be able to see this when we get to our destination."

"And what of our destination?" asked Bingo, switching the topic. He had no desire to look further into the topic of how he was wrong and the wizard was right; it seemed that was all too often the case. "You haven't clarified what we must endure to reach it..."

"Endure?" mused the wizard with a strange smile. "Experience is more like it! But that shall be seen to. I do not know all things, but if I were to guess, we shall undertake the journey through many adventures, meeting quite a number of new people along the way for good or for ill, and learn much of the world around us, and of ourselves, before the journey's end!"

"I do hope you're right about all this," Bingo moaned worriedly. He cast a glance over his shoulder. "Speaking of meeting new people," he said, looking nervously at Kutta, "This one's making me quite uneasy..." Bingo nibbled at a turnover.

"Oh?" asked Paragonis, looking and smiling at Kutta. "She means no harm, more likely than not. You must learn to trust others, Bingo. But in any case."

He turned to the other halfling. "Greetings to you!"

Kutta nods her head to the wizard then replies.
"An a fine eve to ya in turn. Were ya discussing a quest?
There's been rumors 'bout some search for magic stones an I'm a looking ta join in."
She takes another sip of her scrumpy while adjusting herself to a less casual position.

"We were indeed," smiled the old man. "The magic stones of the ancient world, to be studied by the High Council of my City. If you're looking to join in this Quest, you're quite welcome to! I was in fact looking for some people to join Bingo and I on this adventure, and from the conversations I've heard, many prospective fellows have already come to this place. I will warn you, of course, that this journey will take us through many dangers, but I'm sure all of you will be more than able to handle the trials of such a quest."

Kutta swirls her flagon around to keep the apple pulp in suspension.
"I haven't had ta face many dangers 'afore, but they're what makes the 'sperience.
The wag-jaws had plenty a tales about the stones, some were saying they could call great wyrms ta aid yer but each another gossip tol' me
that that could be made inta cursed darts tha' poison the target with dark powers. I'd likey to hear what the council reckons about 'em."

Paragonis leaned back onto the counter, sipping a bit at his ale. "Although the specifics concerning the stones are rather arcane, the High Council, and most of us wizards, believe the stones to contain within them an ancient curse for which the Ancients were, at least in part, responsible for. They can indeed be turned into darts of a sort, whether actual darts or the large kind that Thalassana lobs at other armies with their gigantic siege engines, and they do indeed spread a sort of poison. Still, despite the danger, the curse itself can be used for more than simply war, and in fact could be used for good, or so we believe."

He shrugged the staff from the strap on his back into his hands, gesturing at a crystal at the top.

"Much of our magic, after all, comes from minerals and objects that would otherwise be deadly or poisonous, but when carefully used in the right sort of way can be quite beneficial to everyone. The High Council hopes to use these magic stones in the same way, and bring rich blessings to all lands, from Fairfields and Thalassana to Orod Khazad in the northeast. Of course, all this is assuming that we do get to the stones, and they haven't been lost or stolen by some fool brigand who thinks he knows what he's dealing with and doesn't. Pity the man who leaps before looking!"

"This quest's begining ta sound like a legend-maker, or at least somethin' that'll get us inna book."
Beaming and leaning back (forgetting that she was on a stool, not a chair), Kutta loses her balance and topples, splashing herself with scrumpy.
"I'd rather tha' not go in any books though''" She grins sheepishly as she picks herself up of the the floor.
"So where we be heading whan we start off?" Kutta inquires.

The wizard offers a helping hand to the halfling and orders her a new pint of scrumpy, giving the bartender a tip.

"South, as it were. South and West. The codices and manuscripts of the Ancients, at least the ones in the Chambers of Wisdom, say that there was a vast repository located somewhere in the mountainous deserts there. The entryway would have been sealed with gates of iron and stone and magic, but, that's why I'm here," he smiled as they sat back down.

"Above the chamber would have been a great room full of records and many markers. Because the Ancients knew that one day their secrets might be forgotten, most of the signs will simply be warnings to the ignorant and the curious, telling them of the curse and directing them to leave the area. If we are lucky, whatever travelers that happened upon the place in the past few hundred years will have heeded the warning. Still, if that is not the case, the High Council has offered to provide those willing to undertake this journey with enchanted armor designed to protect against the curse. I suppose the captain over there," he nodded at the "slightly" drunk man in armor by the dwarf, "would know whether those suits of armor have arrived yet."

"Thank-ye for the drink." Kutta bobbed. Patting herself off as she sat and listend to the wizard.
"You'll probably have ta read most of what's written thar, I know I canna read some of ta ancient's words.
There was this book I had ta bind once, had lovely pictures of eyes an guts o' critters. It wasn't very old, said it was a copy from an ancient text onna
back, but it was old enough. In it thar were some words written fancy under the names of things an I had no clue what tha ment, 'cept the book used the fancy words 'stead of the animal's name sometimes. Coulda jus' been some ancient name fer them."

The wizard nods. "The Ancients did many things that are difficult to understand today. They had two names for many animals, whatever the reason, and fancied putting water into bottles and selling it to each other. But for all their eccentricities, they at least had the foresight to know that strange stones in the hands of the unwise can lead to disaster for all. My duty on this quest will be mainly to help with opening the gates, but I will also be making sure nobody foolishly goes walking into a cursed room and earning himself a very uncomfortable fate."

Kale entered the Fair Maiden with fantasies of what they would encounter ahead. His thoughts were soon cleared out by the informality of the place. He had the notion that they would be a sophisticated, well-trained party. While Kale was relieved that he wasn't going to be the weakest link, or at least not without company, he also hoped that the others have more experience than he.

He walked over to the bar, where several were gathered. Before attempting to start or join any conversations, he listens to those around him.

Paragonis took another sip from his mug, which was still most of the way full. "I've taken down several battalions of goblins on my own before, during the Great War. Then again, most wizards did, if they had been on the front lines. I'm sure the captain over there, and our good friend Silentium," he nodded to the silent knight, "are formidable fighters themselves, and I have no doubt that the dwarf there is quite well-trained in combat. And you two would likely be excellent shots, if given the chance, I would think."

"Well," said Bingo, "I did have my fair share of archery... I haven't hunted in a year, though."

"I'm not exactly one fa engaging enemies, I prefer trap hunting tha' stalking animals wit' a bow. Tha few times I've had ta defend myself 'gainst angry badgers I've done so wit' a knife. Me pa once tried to teach me how ta use a bow, but I hurt meself more often tha' I let an arrow loose." Kutta states, remembering catching herself with the bowstring leaving red welts on her wrist.

The old man nodded. "We all have our specialties. I can heal most wounds and deal damage over a wide area from a relative distance, but many of my skills need some time to prepare and build up magical energy, resulting in a waiting period between attacks. I also do not wear armor, as you can see, which means that I do not have much defense against physical attacks. I could try using magic, but that is quite draining, and would prevent me from doing anything else. Others of us have quite a bit of defense, and can take many blows, but would not be able to deal much damage from a distance or be at all stealthy. Trapping and stealthy attacks are quite useful, and would help add to our group's ability to defend itself during this quest, I think."

Status
Not open for further replies.