MISC #5 Voting Thread: It's How You Say It.

Which entry do you think should win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When is the voting actually going to be over? Tonight?
You can also check right under the main poll question. :D I remember I had the same question during my first MISC.

• Thank You
Reactions: KJDarKnight
o.o Congrats to whoever wrote Passage to Piracy!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Are they allowed to say? It's not been oddicially announced :0

Patience young ones ^_^

• Bucket of Rainbows
We've waited a stressfull week! :p

Always better to wait XD Just cause whoever wins Manager Pick might alter who wins the community pick (if it's the same person <3)

• Useful
Yeah I realize.... still want to know who wrote what though

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Some people don't reveal in any case ^_^

Give the managers time. If it was hard enough for us to vote, then you can imagine their task.

Reactions: Joan
True..... I shall try :p

Have no fear, eager people, we were on time with making our decision this month and were just waiting for me to get home to write this announcement post.

Congratulations to the winner of the Community Pick vote: @KJDarKnight with Passage to Piracy!

For the Managers' Pick selection, there was more debate than usual this month, but we did manage to pick our favorite for this month: A Single Step written by @Greenie!

It was not a huge turnout for entrants or votes this month compared to past months, but thanks to everyone who participated nonetheless, especially those who took the time to write reviews!

@KJDarKnight and @Greenie, the usual prizes of fancy ribbon and having your work immortalized in the Hall of Fame thread will be handled shortly. For the art prize offered by Astaroth (see the opening post of the contest announcement thread for details if you forgot), please send him a private message here on Iwaku to get that rolling.

MISC will return in July. If you're absolutely desperate to get your writing prompt fix before then, be sure to check out some of the threads in the Inspiring Muses section of the forum!​

Oh.. wow ...

O_O

Well this is surprising. Shocking. I am seriously in shock. Like stunned.

*Whacks head a little*

Woah. I really didn't expect to win this time! I mean, I was proud of my story but I... Lol I'll write more when I can find words.

*squeels* thank you everyone who voted for me! I feel so special and honored!! Thank you thank you thank you!!

And congrats greenie! I knew that one was yours haha! You did amazing!

Congratulations :-D Awesome job, guys!!

Romance might not be your forte, @KJDarKnight, but you did a wonderful job with it :)

Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone who entered! As per usual, I am Simon Cowell, I don't do public reviews because of this. If you would like to have me tear you to shreds, please inquire by PM.

Congratulations :-D Awesome job, guys!!

Romance might not be your forte, @KJDarKnight, but you did a wonderful job with it :)
Aww thank you!! I did struggle with that part of it. It was a nice challenge for me

Pirates got my vote :) because pirates. And romance. And...pirates. But also because the concept was super fun and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I'm not going to write reviews this time around...subjectively, none of the other stories were my jam and while they were well written, my reviews would essentially be too similar to justify taking up the writer's time!

Good luck! Can't wait to see the final results!
I'd really love to hear more of your thoughts if you're wiling. I'm working on extending this story. I've been doing a lot of research or pirates and sailing etc...

Alright folks, my reviews are going to be quick and shitty because I have tons of crap going on and can't take the time to do the in-depth review thing. It'll be very simple: first paragraph is positive things, second paragraph is negative things. Sorry for the brevity, but it's better than nothing!

Starts off with a solid hook. Simon was a fairly well developed character, and I'm glad you brought up his hypocrisy and the very realistic thing of him just shrugging it off and disregarding his own flaws because that was the big thing that came to mind when I saw that he slept around a lot and also hated his dad for supposedly cheating. The ending was fine, not quite a resolution but it had the path laid out for true resolution in the future, so the first couple steps down that path was good enough for the sake of this story.

On the negative side, there are some poor, abused commas in there that I noticed enough to break the flow of reading in a few places. Where Simon was pretty well fleshed out, Mary felt like a very flat character. Also, Simon was a snobby douche, so it was hard to really care about him and want good things for him. The use of the line of dialogue from the prompt felt very stiff and unnatural; not only did it not feel like something Mary would say, it made no sense because nothing Simon said even implied that he thought he was the first one to come by.

This poem was not a chore or an annoyance to read, which is generally not the case with me and poems, so kudos there. Rather than just throwing around symbolism and the like as most poem writers do, you actually told a clear story with it. After a few reads through I'm still not certain what exactly the narrator is (personification of death is my best guess), or why this girl went to go chat with them regularly, but there was a defined story of the girl losing people she loves and then she herself dying and being taken off to the afterlife to be with those she lost, so that's nice. Your use of the chosen line of dialogue from the prompt was fine, didn't stick out as unnatural or out of place or anything.

However, all that said, I feel like this story would have been better told in prose. The poem format offered nothing special for this story, and in fact I feel like it was a hindrance. The main problem with poetry is that it usually sucks to read because it does not flow in the natural way of decently written prose so the author need to be more skilled with the use of the language to give it a different sort of flow and rhythm that makes for a decent reading experience; while you did have some rhyming going on to ease things along, your poem lacked the flow that makes good poetry good. I get what you were doing with the pattern of swapping between pairs of short and long lines, but it didn't actually flow well despite the regular pattern because, as is the way of poetry, you needed to use stilted lines and broken syntax to make it work. So I'd say your work was alright for a poem, but poems are almost always at a disadvantage in these sorts of contests in my opinion because it's so much harder to make them flow well, and flow is a huge part of what makes or breaks an enjoyable reading experience for me and many others.

Nice hook, starts off with the interesting first paragraph and then solidly sets the hook with the line that follows. Plenty of solid descriptive language, especially for the bouts of pain. There was a clear story with a very definite ending, which I've noticed is often a struggle for MISC entries, so points for that. Your use of the chosen line of dialogue from the prompt was fine, not seamlessly slipped into the entry but also not horribly out of place.

The details of the plot were not clear enough for my liking. There's a lot of stuff there that could have done with even a few sentences more info to flesh it out enough to feel satisfying, but as it is the lack of those details made the story feel rushed. More specifically, details about the history of the guy and the demon's husband (guy killed him, but so what, why's that special, why does that make him the person she needs to kill to get whatever power?), information about the girl the demon was possessing (such as her soullessness and her apparent relationship of some sort with the guy), and something more about how the trap and reverse trap revolving around this girl actually worked would have been nice. This entry has potential, and it could have been far better if more time had been taken to fill out those details and give some reason for the reader to care about the soulless girl or the demon at all (because evil demon or not, a millenia-long quest for vengenace for a slain loved one is something that can evoke sympathy).

Decent hook, particularly the line "Most dont think of dying as a pleasant experience." Alison and Kip get plenty of characterization throughout the story, although there's a caveat there in the negative stuff paragraph. I did not see the twist of dying and coming back in different scenarios coming at all, and it made for a cool read. I noticed you used more than one line from the prompt, and most of them were done pretty well (the "you thought you were the first?" one felt like you only did the flashback things to use that line), so good job there.

There were quite a few grammar/punctuation issues I noticed, mostly run-on sentences and sentence fragments, and it was a major distraction and flow killer. The phonetic pirate talk was distracting at times, mostly where it was done in ways that didn't sound right to me ("ye're" just doesn't work at all, the accurate phonetic pirate speech would be "yer"). While you did a lot of characterization for Kip and Alison, you had the problem of Kip feeling really inconsistent (I know you were going for the like public persona and real personality duality, but it didn't work well) and Alison was whiny and annoying and hard for me to care about. Keeping present tense in the telling of the past, particularly after the story was set up as being told to another person, was not a choice I liked and I would have preferred a switch from present to past tense; not a problem, just a stylistic choice that I didn't care for.

There were some interesting mental images presented by this poem, decent descriptive language. You also made use of a decently broad vocabulary in this short piece, and being a word nerd I always enjoy seeing people use some words that aren't as common as dirt.

I really don't want to rant twice in one set of reviews about the parts of poetry I dislike, so I'll be lazy and direct you to read the second paragraph of my review for The Promise of a Friend if you want the full details of what the repeat rant would say. For your poem in specific, it was not an enjoyable read because it didn't flow well and it felt like a bunch of random stuff thrown together that gave me nothing to relate to or care about. I would say I disliked your method of including the line of dialogue from the prompt because it made no sense in context and was awkward in how it was split apart, but the context felt like a disjointed dream sequence sort of thing so I can't reasonably expect sense-making there. Note that I'm not saying your poem was bad; this is basically me grumping because I hate poetry due to the nature of the format, and I fully acknowledge that this makes me a shit judge of poetry, so feel free to disregard my complaints as words from an uncultured swine who doesn't appreciate the art form.

Congrats to both winners! :D I almost voted for both of those, heh

• Love
I'd really love to hear more of your thoughts if you're wiling. I'm working on extending this story. I've been doing a lot of research or pirates and sailing etc...

I'm terrible at reviews, because mostly I'm biased and just like what I like *LOL* I enjoyed the theme, because Pirates are just fun in general - but I also really liked that you incorporated the characters into it without it being all swashbuckling stereotype... I liked that the romance built naturally as possible (I mean... it's a short story, so it's gonna be quick) and I liked that it didn't end miserable (cause SO many stories do, now adays >_<)

I think expanded it into something longer would certainly be fun :)

Alright folks, my reviews are going to be quick and shitty because I have tons of crap going on and can't take the time to do the in-depth review thing. It'll be very simple: first paragraph is positive things, second paragraph is negative things. Sorry for the brevity, but it's better than nothing!

Starts off with a solid hook. Simon was a fairly well developed character, and I'm glad you brought up his hypocrisy and the very realistic thing of him just shrugging it off and disregarding his own flaws because that was the big thing that came to mind when I saw that he slept around a lot and also hated his dad for supposedly cheating. The ending was fine, not quite a resolution but it had the path laid out for true resolution in the future, so the first couple steps down that path was good enough for the sake of this story.

On the negative side, there are some poor, abused commas in there that I noticed enough to break the flow of reading in a few places. Where Simon was pretty well fleshed out, Mary felt like a very flat character. Also, Simon was a snobby douche, so it was hard to really care about him and want good things for him. The use of the line of dialogue from the prompt felt very stiff and unnatural; not only did it not feel like something Mary would say, it made no sense because nothing Simon said even implied that he thought he was the first one to come by.

This poem was not a chore or an annoyance to read, which is generally not the case with me and poems, so kudos there. Rather than just throwing around symbolism and the like as most poem writers do, you actually told a clear story with it. After a few reads through I'm still not certain what exactly the narrator is (personification of death is my best guess), or why this girl went to go chat with them regularly, but there was a defined story of the girl losing people she loves and then she herself dying and being taken off to the afterlife to be with those she lost, so that's nice. Your use of the chosen line of dialogue from the prompt was fine, didn't stick out as unnatural or out of place or anything.

However, all that said, I feel like this story would have been better told in prose. The poem format offered nothing special for this story, and in fact I feel like it was a hindrance. The main problem with poetry is that it usually sucks to read because it does not flow in the natural way of decently written prose so the author need to be more skilled with the use of the language to give it a different sort of flow and rhythm that makes for a decent reading experience; while you did have some rhyming going on to ease things along, your poem lacked the flow that makes good poetry good. I get what you were doing with the pattern of swapping between pairs of short and long lines, but it didn't actually flow well despite the regular pattern because, as is the way of poetry, you needed to use stilted lines and broken syntax to make it work. So I'd say your work was alright for a poem, but poems are almost always at a disadvantage in these sorts of contests in my opinion because it's so much harder to make them flow well, and flow is a huge part of what makes or breaks an enjoyable reading experience for me and many others.

Nice hook, starts off with the interesting first paragraph and then solidly sets the hook with the line that follows. Plenty of solid descriptive language, especially for the bouts of pain. There was a clear story with a very definite ending, which I've noticed is often a struggle for MISC entries, so points for that. Your use of the chosen line of dialogue from the prompt was fine, not seamlessly slipped into the entry but also not horribly out of place.

The details of the plot were not clear enough for my liking. There's a lot of stuff there that could have done with even a few sentences more info to flesh it out enough to feel satisfying, but as it is the lack of those details made the story feel rushed. More specifically, details about the history of the guy and the demon's husband (guy killed him, but so what, why's that special, why does that make him the person she needs to kill to get whatever power?), information about the girl the demon was possessing (such as her soullessness and her apparent relationship of some sort with the guy), and something more about how the trap and reverse trap revolving around this girl actually worked would have been nice. This entry has potential, and it could have been far better if more time had been taken to fill out those details and give some reason for the reader to care about the soulless girl or the demon at all (because evil demon or not, a millenia-long quest for vengenace for a slain loved one is something that can evoke sympathy).

Decent hook, particularly the line "Most dont think of dying as a pleasant experience." Alison and Kip get plenty of characterization throughout the story, although there's a caveat there in the negative stuff paragraph. I did not see the twist of dying and coming back in different scenarios coming at all, and it made for a cool read. I noticed you used more than one line from the prompt, and most of them were done pretty well (the "you thought you were the first?" one felt like you only did the flashback things to use that line), so good job there.

There were quite a few grammar/punctuation issues I noticed, mostly run-on sentences and sentence fragments, and it was a major distraction and flow killer. The phonetic pirate talk was distracting at times, mostly where it was done in ways that didn't sound right to me ("ye're" just doesn't work at all, the accurate phonetic pirate speech would be "yer"). While you did a lot of characterization for Kip and Alison, you had the problem of Kip feeling really inconsistent (I know you were going for the like public persona and real personality duality, but it didn't work well) and Alison was whiny and annoying and hard for me to care about. Keeping present tense in the telling of the past, particularly after the story was set up as being told to another person, was not a choice I liked and I would have preferred a switch from present to past tense; not a problem, just a stylistic choice that I didn't care for.

There were some interesting mental images presented by this poem, decent descriptive language. You also made use of a decently broad vocabulary in this short piece, and being a word nerd I always enjoy seeing people use some words that aren't as common as dirt.

I really don't want to rant twice in one set of reviews about the parts of poetry I dislike, so I'll be lazy and direct you to read the second paragraph of my review for The Promise of a Friend if you want the full details of what the repeat rant would say. For your poem in specific, it was not an enjoyable read because it didn't flow well and it felt like a bunch of random stuff thrown together that gave me nothing to relate to or care about. I would say I disliked your method of including the line of dialogue from the prompt because it made no sense in context and was awkward in how it was split apart, but the context felt like a disjointed dream sequence sort of thing so I can't reasonably expect sense-making there. Note that I'm not saying your poem was bad; this is basically me grumping because I hate poetry due to the nature of the format, and I fully acknowledge that this makes me a shit judge of poetry, so feel free to disregard my complaints as words from an uncultured swine who doesn't appreciate the art form.
Thanks! I noticed some of the same things you pointed out. I've been working on fixing it up.
I didn't have time to fix Grammer because this wasn't the story I started for the contest haha.

Glad you enjoyed! I feel special :)

Reactions: Jorick