WaRP 2024 Discussion

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Astaroth

[*screaming into the void intensifies*]
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Psychological horror
Body horror
Supernatural
Giallo
Splatterpunk
Dark fantasy
Historical
Low fantasy
Magipunk
Weird West
Noir
Thriller
Gothic horror
Southern Gothic
Gaslamp fantasy
Cyberpunk
Space saga
Clockpunk
Space Western
Space opera
Paranormal
Modern fantasy
Dieselpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Crime drama
Medieval fantasy
Discuss entries! Encourage each other! Share bits and bobs! WaRP on!

door-wrestling.gif

its too quiet in here, so lemme make some noise

warp is wonky this year - might as well get the elephant out of the room!

i think that's okay though. life, in beautiful chaos, happens.

with all that outta the way, since submissions for warp are reopened it does give us an opportunity to discuss some worldbuilding and gamemastering topics-- both to aid these future winners (as well as current and future gms!) --aaaaaand perhaps to drum up some anticipation for the community vote! the renewed submission deadline is august 1st!

i'm in the works of making a crossword puzzle from all the warp submissions but until i'm done

• Are there any game mechanics you've tried or would like to see in a roleplay? I've been itching to try a faction reputation system of some kind and a branching narrative rp that's (ideally) endlessly replayable... But these may just be pipe dreams, as I've learned over time mechanics in roleplays tend to be difficult to manage in the long run. Is your experience any different?

• Do you dabble in cross-genre rp and/or worldbuilding? If so, how do you typically handle that in a group setting and what are the challenges that come to mind? Both broadly and specifically... like the evergreen conundrum of magic and technology.

• For players: When it comes to writing posts and creating characters and crafting those pesky little headcanon goblins, how much creative freedom are you comfortable with? Do you like to envision it completely without too many constraints or do your prefer to have dedicated lore to sift through to ensure you're doing it "right"?

For GMs: What's your balance between creative liberty and creative control of your roleplays and lore? Does it depend on what aspect of the world you're talking about (ie. I like to have a couple good rules about magic, but personally, I'd love players to have the inspiration to flesh out their character's background in it's entirety, including the town and castle he grew up in, if need be.) or is there a hard line for you? Any reasons why?

• LET IT BURN
Reactions: Nemopedia