Zodiac

Gwenn watched the girl dart into the forest and sighed before looking at Shadow, "Weird? You are welcome though." she asked, "I live off the land, it gives me its bounty and I take only what I must to survive. Life is sacred, and if I can spare it I do. But, when I must fight, I do not run from it." She stood straight and tall as she looked at him and then pointing in the opposite direction of where Jay had gone, "I would not suggest following me, unless you happen to be going to attend the gathering, in which case, I will tolerate your presence."

Shadow shook his head and ran the way he came.

Jay hid behind a tree. She didn't feel right...

Gwenn watched him leave the way he had come, "Has a bit of sense it seems." She said as she sheathed her knife and picked up her pack and other items and began to attach them to herself in a well practiced routine and order. Backpack, bedroll, quiver, bow, canteen and purse last of all.

She glanced at the trees, "You can come out now," she said to the girl, "He is gone...how are you feeling? The magic has had a bit of time to work now. Any better?"

Jay peeks from the tree and slowly walked out. "I hurt just a little though. Still can't move wing..."

Gwenn nodded, "Then we walk," she said leading her into the trees. "Why did he call you a monster?' she asked as they walked at a slower pace than she was used to. "And..more importantly..will I need to be watching for more of that kind?"

She went ahead of the girl and made a path breaking branches and leaves where necessary so she could pass through without damage to her wings. She was not worried about encountering more people, but just not really in a mood to deal with stupid all the time.

"Um... I think you do have to look out from more..." Jay slowly followed holding her scythe tightly.

Gwenn sighed, "I knew that would be the answer." She said in a low voice full of resignation. "Very well...but...why did he call you a monster?" she asked again. The fact that she had to ask a second time was a bit frustrating to her at this point. She turned her head though, and looking pointedly at the girl as if to communicate that fact, and the importance of an actual answer.

"I murdered before.... I didn't do it. I was tricked.

Gwenn laughed outright, "Even tricked you did it." she said as she turned back and began moving through the forest underbrush, "Someone is dead because of you. No denying facts. You will not be judged by me, since I have taken life as well. But, no point denying the fact either. No matter how it occurred, a life was lost." She tried to leave the forest as undisturbed as possible as they moved through it but a few times she was forced to chop and cut at branches for them to be able to continue on. "So...who tricked yo?"

"A evil leader... His name is Cryzona... He controls evil beings..." Jay's left wing tucked in.

Gwenn stopped what she was doing and looked at her, "And he tricked you?" she repeated, "So he had control over you?" Her brow winged, "You realize you are saying you are evil...or let me tell you...that is how it sounds to me."

"He had control over me... I was his puppet... I luckily broke free of his control over me. I'm not evil..."

Gwenn nodded, "I can tell. But what you said..." She shrugged. She was usually very careful what she said...now. There was a time she was far more open and talkative, but those days were long gone. betrayal taught you a few things about the power you gave to others through your words. Now she listened more, spoke less.

They traveled in silence for the rest of the day, as she made the path for them through the forest and to the first town. They had only stopped to eat and that was eat. If she had been traveling alone, she would not have even stopped to eat. She could tell the girl needed tor est , so she stopped and ate.

Before night fell they arrived at the small village. "You should find a place to rest here." She started back into the trees, "i will rest as I always do...in the safe embrace of the trees."

"No. I wanna come. What if they hunt me like the others?!" Jay had started to cry. She didn't like to be alone. Jay stood there looking at Gwenn with tears rolling down her face.

Gwenn lifted a brow and looked at the town and then back at the girl. She closed her eyes and drew in a breath. Tears were her undoing. Her eyes opened again and she let out a slightly exasperated breath, "How is your wing?" she asked, "Can you fly up?"

She was tired, and though she knew she could heft the girl up again, she would prefer not to do so.

"Let's see.." Jay ripped the cast off. It flapped multiple times.

Jay ran and her wings propelled her up and she landed on a branch.

Gwenn had not intended for her to take off the cast, but what was done was done. She watched her land on the branch and nodded as she climbed up and began weaving the branches as she had last evening. It was her preferred manner of resting, for her own reasons.

She had everything ready and she leaned against the trunk of the tree. "You need to rest. I will keep watch." She rarely slept, for reasons that were beyond her own personal training, but very few people knew anything about her. What might have to occur for her allow someone to know her, she was not at all sure anymore. Life had taught her many painful lessons. Giving others ammunition to fire back at you in betrayal was not something she allowed now, but it meant she spent most of her time alone. One day her soul would grow used to it, she hoped.

"No! You must sleep!" Jay looked through her bag, looking for the bottle of sleep powder she had.

Gwenn shook her head, "I am fine." she assured her, "I do not require much rest. I have trained myself this way, for obvious reasons. I travel alone most of the time so sleeping makes you extremely vulnerable. I rest when i know I am safe. You have suffered a grave injury, you need sleep far more than I do."

"I am fine!" Jay lied. "I can keep watch. I'm not that weak. Now go to sleep before I throw this sleep powder in your face." Jay gripped the bottle of sleep powder tightly.