Zodiac

" are you sure? I mean he was a little rude..." Feather's right wing twitched a bit and Feather almost cried out in pain again.

She huffed, "He is always like that," she said quietly, "But he is the best healer in the forest, or anywhere I think."

She was just finishing saying that when he reappeared, "In the world.." he said with a smile, "Everyone knows this." He had things with him to treat her wounds and to set her wing. He made short work of it, and then stood back and looked at Gwenn, "You know the price."

Gwenn nodded and dropped her pack to the ground and pulled out three emeralds the size of a thumbnail and handed them to him.

He looked at them carefully and nodded before going back to the house and shutting the door behind him again.

"How do you feel?" she asked looking at the bandages and splint.

" actually pretty good." Feather was gripping onto her scythe. "I didn't mean to cost that much. I mean three emeralds! Those are hard to find! I'd rather be dying than you spend those..."

Gwenn shrugged, "I have no need of them. I keep them only to pay him." She situated the pack on ehr pack a bit more comfortably, "Think you can walk now?" she asked, "I will move slower...I know my normal pace is a bit fast for most to keep up with." She tipped her head a little, "But..I bet once your wings are healed you could keep up just fine."

Feather looked at Gwenn. "I can keep up." Feather slowly got up and took her scythe and used it as a walking stick. "Who's that?" She pointed to a cloaked figure holding some chain and a sickle.

Gwenn turned and looked int he direction she was pointing, "I don't see anything...where?"

The figure had disappeared and appeared behind Feather and wrapped his chain around her neck choking her and sliced at Gwenn with his sickle.

Feathers face turned a bright red as she tried to struggle to get the chain off of her neck.

The cloaked figure held Feather tighter and her face turned a deep deep red. "You will watch the monster die then I will leave you alone gentle woman..."

Gwenn hadn't seen the cloaked figure until it was standing behind the girl. She reached for the chain but drew back quickly when the sickle slashed at her. Her brows lifted, "Oh I think not...I just paid three emeralds to heal her."

Her sudden lunge forward was hopefully a surprise to the cloaked figure. She grabbed for the sickle with both hands attempting to wrench it from his grip.

The figure tightened his grip on the chain around Feather's neck and yanked the sickle away from Gwen's reach. "Last chance... You don't have to die..."

Feather's face turned purple and her struggles were slowing down.

Gwenn sighed and spun around full circle and swept her foot close tot he ground in a swift movement which was performed with some skill. His feet would be completely lifted from beneath him and cause him to fall on his back to the ground. Her circular motion would spin her around and have her standing over him with her foot on the sickle. "I have no plans to die today. Why do you seek her death? She has been no threat to me, in fact she has been quite the opposite. explain yourself."

The cloaked figure chuckled. "She is a monster. I kill monsters..."

Jay fell to the ground breathing heavily. "Thanks Gwenn..."

Gwenn kept her weight firmly planted on the cloaked figure and leveled her icy gaze on his face and arrogant grin. Though thickly built, she was agile and strong and deceptively fast. Her knee pressed into the man's chest and a knife seemed to appear from nowhere and press into the soft flash of his neck. "If that is all the explanation I am to receive, then I have no reason to allow you to live. Such stupidity does not garner my sympathies nor my trust. Explain yourself or die in your ignorance here and now."

" She is an evil monster... She will betray you..."

Jay laid on the ground breathing heavily.

Gwenn's patience was about at its breaking point. Her knee pressed harder and she heard some cracking noises. Still, she did not take life without a proper cause as a rule. She looked over at the girl then, "Why does he say this?" she asked leveling that same icy stare on her. She had no knowledge of either of these two before this day, and she was cautious, which was why she was still alive.

"Her words were clipped and cold, "I will warn you," she said, "I can be your greatest ally or your worst enemy. Do not betray my small faith in you." Then looking down at the cloaked figure, "Your name?"

"Shadow..."

Jay sat up and watched Gwenn.

Gwenn's facial expression at that point bordered between livid and reluctantly amused. She could not decide whether to react violently or burst into laughter. It was quite the predicament. "Shadow," she huffed stifling the chuckle that threatened to accompany the repeating of his name, "So ...I am to trust someone who honestly refers to themselves as shadow...over a wounded youth who has been polite and grateful?" Her brow lifted as she regarded him, her knee still pressing heavily into his chest. "Put yourself in my shoes. Would you choose yourself?"

Shadow thought about it and shook his head. "No... "

Jay sat there still...

Gwenn felt the curl on her lips before she had the thought to stop it from appearing. "THAT Sir," she said releasing him, "Is the first sensible thing you have done or said." She did not however, sheath the weapon, "Make no mistake Shadow....I will kill you if you attempt to harm someone in my care again. For now, were I you...I would find my way to wherever it is you were going before you encountered me this day."

There was something about Gwenn that made her difficult to get a handle on. She could be completely ice cold one moment, and full of warmth and generosity of spirit the next. Bouncing from one to the other in what could seem almost and unbalanced manner, she was in spite of this extremely level headed and forthright. She held eye contact with Shadow while she spoke and afterward, watching him to be sure he did not do anything else stupid and force her to end his life. She had no doubt she could do so, and would do so, but she preferred not to at this time.

Shadow scrambled up and sprinted back into the forest.

"Well... That was weird... Thanks Gwenn." Jay looked confused.