Zodiac Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born June 2nd, so I fall squarely under Gemini.

Nope, I don't believe in astrology at all. It's an amusing diversion, like tarot cards and personality tests and such, but they hold about as much truth as your average fiction novel. The majority of belief in astrology and similar things can be chalked up to the Forer effect. If you take a look at explanations of the personalities of each of the different zodiac signs and break them down into a bullet point list you'll see that it's just a very wide net being cast to try to hook everyone. If you had someone else do the bullet point listing, had them remove the name of the zodiac sign from each list, then mixed them up and had you go through them you would be rather unlikely to actually pick out which one was your sign.

Honestly I can't help but look down on people who take astrology seriously, and it's for the same exact reasons I would look down on an adult who truly believed in the Tooth Fairy.

Reactions: iMisterH
I'm a fish. Brother's a fish too. Fish children, born from a bull and a pair of scales.

Astrology is an amusing pastime, but there's really no truth to it.

Taurus — forever gorgeous, forever elegant, forever tranquil.

That's never been a word I would use to describe a Taurus.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ochalla
I'm a fish. Brother's a fish too. Fish children, born from a bull and a pair of scales.

Astrology is an amusing pastime, but there's really no truth to it.

Really?

Then explain my magic powers

Your powers are faith based, stemming from your position as High Priest of Racks. Stars got nothing to do with that.

Dunno

When I see a nice RACKS I see stars

;)

I'm just a lowly Taurus.

Bull-headed as fuck.

I am a Gemini, or Dragon with 5/8 Earth element influence, where your astrologocal sign is accurate down to the time of your birth and each segment of your horoscope has an element and other animal associated with it, according to das Chinese horoscope.

Do I believe my fate and personality are determined by cosmic coincidences? No. Do I find horoscopes amusing? Sort of. Do I think people who look way into it to the point of not dating somebody because their signs don't match are ridiculous? Absolutely.

I for one am nothing like the typical personalities of either of my signs. I found it hilarious when they introduced a new zodiac sign a few years back and everyone had an identity crisis because their sign changed, especially if they had a tattoo.

• Love
Reactions: 3 people
I'm a cancer and it really does describe me, emotional and caring, adaptable it's just me in a nutshell and i believe that the dates we are born on can influence us.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Hmm..well we all are made from 'star dust'. Yes, it quite clear. Thank you for clearing that up people. JEEZE, where is your sense of adventure and imagination?
Everyone is different and 'special' in their own way. Yeah. Gotcha. Anyways, as I said, I think the Zodiacs play a tremendous role in peoples personality. Whether people made it up for 'publicity stunt' and made money off from it, well that's an everyday thing.[BCOLOR=#000000] Those who cannot wield the knowledge of the realism to know the difference between the Zodiacs from a psychology point of view, are just in denial of what their 'sign' portrays them out to be. [/BCOLOR]

That being said, the stars aligned in their own unique constellation does have a fun way to connect with personalty traits and stories behind them. Am I saying they can predict and foretell our futures 'End of Days?' Get a life. I did read, an interesting story in India when I was an teenager about an arranged marriage of an couple that wasn't destined to be together. I can't remember the whole story but, it comes down to it, that it's based on character traits.

I love the mystery and lore behind the planets with the stars and I think a lot of fantasy creativity, wouldn't be here today if people were so close minded and relevant to the reality aspect of the whole concept.What fun is that? ^_^

Hmm..well we all are made from 'star dust'. Yes, it quite clear. Thank you for clearing that up people. JEEZE, where is your sense of adventure and imagination?
Everyone is different and 'special' in their own way. Yeah. Gotcha. Anyways, as I said, I think the Zodiacs play a tremendous role in peoples personality. Whether people made it up for 'publicity stunt' and made money off from it, well that's an everyday thing.[BCOLOR=#000000] Those who cannot wield the knowledge of the realism to know the difference between the Zodiacs from a psychology point of view, are just in denial of what their 'sign' portrays them out to be. [/BCOLOR]

That being said, the stars aligned in their own unique constellation does have a fun way to connect with personalty traits and stories behind them. Am I saying they can predict and foretell our futures 'End of Days?' Get a life. I did read, an interesting story in India when I was an teenager about an arranged marriage of an couple that wasn't destined to be together. I can't remember the whole story but, it comes down to it, that it's based on character traits.

I love the mystery and lore behind the planets with the stars and I think a lot of fantasy creativity, wouldn't be here today if people were so close minded and relevant to the reality aspect of the whole concept.What fun is that? ^_^
I am a Gemini, or Dragon with 5/8 Earth element influence, where your astrologocal sign is accurate down to the time of your birth and each segment of your horoscope has an element and other animal associated with it, according to das Chinese horoscope.

Do I believe my fate and personality are determined by cosmic coincidences? No. Do I find horoscopes amusing? Sort of. Do I think people who look way into it to the point of not dating somebody because their signs don't match are ridiculous? Absolutely.

I for one am nothing like the typical personalities of either of my signs. I found it hilarious when they introduced a new zodiac sign a few years back and everyone had an identity crisis because their sign changed, especially if they had a tattoo.
The cosmos of celestial objects millions of kilometers away from me must have had a day off when they were supposed to assign me a personality archtype, because I'll tell you right now, if you read Gemini or Dragon descriptions, you'll be pretty much getting the opposite of me.

I'm much more thankful for Jupiter not for guiding fate and some such, but for being a primary reason there's life on Earth, period.

Also, stars can't really align, since they're moving away from each other at blistering speeds, so no two stars will ever appear in the same region of the sky unless it's a single occasion. Just puttin' that out there.

Hmm, I'm Aries...

Fun fact ! That was supposed to be my middle name, but then it was changed last minute because my parents felt it wasn't quite right for me.

Haven't looked too far into what it means though ^ ^;

Hmm, I'm Aries...

Fun fact ! That was supposed to be my middle name, but then it was changed last minute because my parents felt it wasn't quite right for me.

Haven't looked too far into what it means though ^ ^;
Aries derives from the Greek god of war, Ares. Basically the guy ancient Greeks paid tribute to every time they felt like wrecking shit with pointy objects. A lot of the description for Aries kind of goes off of that, exemplifying traits like aggression, leadership, being good at sports and competitions and the such, being a dominant personality.

Wahhh, I'm only good at one of those apparently ( I was told like once that I was a good leader in like 9th grade but I'm not even sure if that counts ^ ^ ; ;) ; A ; ....

but Ares is kinda cool I guess, eheheheh

Yep, that's the gist of it.
Though I lack half of what makes Aries an Aries. >.>
Cause it's all part of a ploy!

Yep, that's the gist of it.
Though I lack half of what makes Aries an Aries. >.>
Cause it's all part of a ploy!
Don't feel bad, it just means Kratos doesn't want to kill you.

Don't feel bad, it just means Kratos doesn't want to kill you.
It means that if I we're Ares, I probably wouldn't even cause Kratos to flip his bollocks.
So yes, I doubt he'd want me dead. XD

Busily crafting fantasy worlds. Which I know are a fantasy. Also, yes, I'm made of star stuff. I'd say that's a rather imaginative way of looking at the formulation of the universe. As for my sense of adventure... I have the real world in all its marvels, and a plethora of entertainment venues. What do I need a magical star sign for?
Everyone is different and 'special' in their own way. Yeah. Gotcha.
... Yes? Yes, they are?
Anyways, as I said, I think the Zodiacs play a tremendous role in peoples personality. Whether people made it up for 'publicity stunt' and made money off from it, well that's an everyday thing.
That doesn't make it any less irrelevant to point out, though. People made zodiacs, zodiacs weren't discovered by people. If zodiacs were true, one would expect to see a consistent pattern to the personalities of people based on which zodiac they were born under... Except, that's not true in the slightest. Your birth date holds zero relevance to your personality unless you give it meaning, which implies oneself giving said power, not said power being exerted upon the person.
Those who cannot wield the knowledge of the realism to know the difference between the Zodiacs from a psychology point of view, are just in denial of what their 'sign' portrays them out to be.
Logical fallacy. Without evidence, statistics, numbers--your claim is empty, and making the claim that others are merely "in denial" of something that has zero scientific weight is akin to claiming that the pink unicorn must be real, and you have to prove it isn't. Positive claims require positive evidence: Zodiacs are a positive claim, they have zero evidence, they were invented by man.

You have to prove your claim. The fact that you're offended by my lack of belief speaks volumes about your position, though.

Also, "wield the knowledge of the realism"... What? Need to get more specific here.
That being said, the stars aligned in their own unique constellation does have a fun way to connect with personalty traits and stories behind them.
[Citation Needed] (Hint: You've made a positive claim...)
Am I saying they can predict and foretell our futures 'End of Days?' Get a life.
I do have a life though, as a warehouse worker.
I did read, an interesting story in India when I was an teenager about an arranged marriage of an couple that wasn't destined to be together. I can't remember the whole story but, it comes down to it, that it's based on character traits.
I have no idea what this has to do with zodiacs, but, neato, I think.
[Citation needed] Considering the only reality aspect I'm aware of concerning stars is that they are giant nuclear reactors that produce enormous amounts of thermal energy and radiation.

As for fantasy creativity, I'd like to think human beings are fully capable of imagining all kinds of things on their own without needing to refer to zodiacs or other such stuff. Such as Homer's Odyssey or Shakespeare's Macbeth. I'm pretty sure I'm fully capable of creativity involving gods without a belief in any particular deity, and I'm pretty sure I can be equally amused and intrigued by zodiacs without believing them to have magical powers. Life is too amazing to chalk up to magic. The complexity of how I became the person I am today is too awesome to say that a bunch of flaming nuclear reactors in the sky made me what I am.

Basically: I don't have to believe in the magical powers of zodiacs to appreciate the human creativity in making them. I don't have to believe in a god to appreciate the immense impact the Bible or the Qur'an has had on western culture. I don't have to believe in ancient Shinto spirits or Buddhist spiritual recycling to see how enlightening and pretty these things can be. I don't have to believe in spirits in a board or chakra in a person's body or anything else in the supernatural realm to appreciate the immense creativity of mankind in these things.

Basically this. I don't need superstitious beliefs. Scientific knowledge doesn't take away, it only adds!

Poetic Justice said:

My sense of adventure and imagination is busy with things that don't foolishly straddle the line between fact and fiction. Astrology is fiction that pretends to be fact, and that just irritates me. There are plenty of fully factual things that engender wonderment and a sense of adventure, like the fact that a man-made craft was recently landed on a comet and the recent announcement from NASA that they're officially planning a manned mission to Mars. There are plenty of fully fictional things that excite my imagination, like roleplaying and reading various novels. I prefer to take my reality and fantasy separately, thank you very much, and astrology is a blending of the two that I don't care for.

Poetic Justice said:
Whether people made it up for 'publicity stunt' and made money off from it, well that's an everyday thing.

It sure is, but the point that should be taken from it is that people totally making shit up for money still have people believing their utterly made up nonsense just as much as "real" astrology. I posit that this is because "real" astrology" is also just made up nonsense, but feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Poetic Justice said:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Those who cannot wield the knowledge of the realism to know the difference between the Zodiacs from a psychology point of view, are just in denial of what their 'sign' portrays them out to be. [/BCOLOR]

Er, are you aware that the Zodiac stuff from a psychology point of view is nonsense? In a previous post in this thread I linked to the Wikipedia page for the Forer effect (also called the Barnum effect and subjective validation in psychology circles), named after psychologist Bertram Forer who performed an experiment where people took a personality test and were given what they were told were personalized results; they actually all got the exact same result, which was a personality description taken from a newspaper horoscope, and yet when asked to rate the accuracy on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being "very accurate") the average rating was 4.26. This result has been confirmed again and again with personality tests and horoscopes of all kinds, even those super special personalized and highly detailed astrological charts (here's a link to one such study on the fallibility of even detailed charts).

If you wanna talk realism, the reality is that psychology says Zodiacs and horoscopes are complete nonsense. I can go find and link you to dozens of studies done that show just how badly psychology trashes the idea (for starters here's an article that links to a few itself) and I would only have to skim off the top of the barrel to get that many. So what was that again about "the knowledge of realism" and a "psychology point of view?" :rotfl:

Poetic Justice said:
That being said, the stars aligned in their own unique constellation does have a fun way to connect with personalty traits and stories behind them. Am I saying they can predict and foretell our futures 'End of Days?' Get a life.

Oh? Stars trillions of miles away can have a direct impact on something as minor as an individual human's personality, but they possess no predictive quality at all? Interesting. If you look at the astrology thing from another angle, it is essentially predicting what a person's personality will be. It says "the stars were just so when you were born, thus your personality will be just so." Why do they have predictive power over human personality but not over future events of what those humans will do? Why are they so enormously influential on the individual but then apparently powerless on a large scale? I find that to be horribly inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.