2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Superhero, Horror, Western, Crime Fiction, Anime
z3pEOMo.png

• "Save the tears for after you've fulfilled your duty."
    Ortfiné von Eylstadt, Izetta: The Last Witch

Sixteen years ago, a ruthless and massive war ravaged the countryside of the continental nations of Europa, a war so devastating and new that the likes of which had never been seen before. A war that would become known by many names, but universally known as The Great War. A product of the mass industrialization of the world and man's gluttonous hunger for expansion, The Great War served as a reminder to the people of Europa that nothing could be serene and safe for long.

It is a sentiment that the people of the southern nation of Espenova are soon to be reminded of.
  • Alright, so I guess I should get to actually explaining the concept of what I've thrown out here.

Set in an alternate variation of Earth, the world of Zero Hour is none too different than the events of our literal past. The Great War has long since passed and things are about to get really complicated in the form of breaking the status quo of the peacetime as you may not be all that surprised to learn. The antagonist in this role-play will be the forces of the Imperial Sovereignty of Xargon, which in the world of Zero Hour serves as the stand-in for Imperialist Germany. Our characters will not be strong contenders, but a rag-tag group of pilots and resistance fighters in the Constitutional Monarchy of Espenova. Of course, we won't start as such, but the plan is to create a story that can be surmised as "Valkyria Chronicles but with planes, okay".

Essentially this means we will start in a small town in the northern hills of Espenova, several hours before the Xargonite war machine reaches us. It is wise to presume that the RP will have equally as much time as foots on the ground as it is in the skies engaging in dogfights. With that said, I must make it explicitly clear my ideas for this RP are to focus on characterization over combat; so I am here for the character stories with rich emotions and psychological turmoil.

Currently, I think keeping "the squad" to a small number (4-5 players) would be sufficient, though it may take a bit for me to get a desirable CS and OOC finished. So right now I just want to see who is interested in the base premise and if we can get a discussion going about the setting. If I don't get enough interest, I can make do, but this is just an idea that has been constantly on my mind for the last few weeks and I am really excited to give it a try.

Any takers?
  • Pacing
    Weekly - Adaptable

Activity will be left vague as social obligations such as employment, academics, and so forth take precedent over a shared hobby. But we should try to post with some regularity. Obligations will be reminded if needed, but this is a low stress endeavor so we shouldn't feel the need to make extreme demands regarding this. Just communicate your schedule when there are issues and keep me informed is the bulk of it.

Writing Ability
    Intermediate - Advanced

The writing level I expect is somewhere around medium expectations (high school-level equivalent). This means comprehensive understanding of basic grammar and spelling is expected, characterization is important, narrative is important, and detail behind those are appreciated. I'd like to see a few paragraphs, though if it fits a post that there is enough to respond to and react to within one paragraph than that's fine, but one-liner's will definitely be off-base. Keep with the fluidity and enjoy yourself; though quality posts don't have to be textbooks. Quality over Quantity, yet have fun and make engaging moments of introspection and interaction.

With that said, I will not be putting posts under extreme analysis nor will I be inciting a "word count". So just use your personal judgment of quality and we'll be awesome.

Etiquette
    Expected Modicum of Maturity

Rule number zero of my perspective is pretty simple; don't test my patience or be a irredeemable jerk.

Generally, the idea here is a simplified version of any sort of rules since we are all adults and we pretty much know the big rules—follow the host site's rules, communicate, collaborate, and don't be antagonistic towards others or at the very least keep the toxicity to a bare minimum. Playful banter and crass jokes are one thing; but actively making somebody feel unwelcome is another one entirely. There is a difference between being blunt and being tactless.
  • I will be attempting to guide us with dynamic content such as:
    • Character-driven narrative
    • Descriptive and emotional characterization
    • Psychological effects of war, and the tension of the era
    • Fun, yet fluid combat sequences
    • Anime tropes, deconstructed and revised
    • Potential scenarios of hopelessness and anxiety
    • Above all else, writing a collaborative story

Ace Combat: Fires of Liberation
    Allison to Lillia
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
    Izetta: The Last Witch
    Last Exile
    Medal of Honor: European Assault
    The Princess & The Pilot
    The Sky Crawlers
    Valkyria Chronicles

Reactions: Katori
The Russian women pilots you speak of were dubbed the Night Witches by the Germans. Originally they were intended as a propaganda thing and got wooden practice planes instead of metal ones. To get around this, they did night bombings, with several grenades (because conventional bombs were to heavy) and turning their engines off a ways before the target to be as quiet as possible. They were nicknamed Night Witches because their planes sounded like broom sticks as they came in to drop bombs.

There's your history lesson.

Reactions: Gowi
And knowing is half the battle.

I'd like to point out I'm fairly close to ironing out a sheet for the upcoming RP, so once I get that together and refine a bit of the looser points of the lore I can probably get us moving. So far I only have three interested parties and that's a good start. I hope we'll get enough interest drummed to consider this worthwhile to start, however.

I know nothing of average RP sizes on this site so I assume four people rp'ing is okay. I don't know. This place is strange and confusing, much like the word wuv which confuses and infuriates me.

Excellent, this is getting to be a decent (potential) cast. If you have questions or comments about what I've provided so far please do express them!

Hey! I'd love to join in on this if still possible.

Reactions: Gowi
That is a good potential group for the story, I think. I'll figure out the slots and work on a OOC over the week.

I hope I'm not too late to throw my interest out there.

You are most definitely fine. The only reason I haven't posted up a OOC yet is I've been particularly busy. So, uh, soon™.

If you've got any spots left, I'd be happy to join!!

Man, I really, really, really want in on this, but it looks like this RP is going to be pretty crowded. I'll be lurking though cause I've been wanting a damn good Air Combat RP for AGES.

Most certainly! Like I said, I've just been very very busy!

I should have the OOC up in the next few days for sure! I have some responsibilities to take care of monday and tuesday, but I'm sure I can fit in writing time to finish ironing out the project! I hope everyone is still around and interested.