Yu-Gi-Oh!: Return of the Shadows

You guys still accepting characters? I've been dying to use a character with the LIGHT Zombie monsters I've made a while back, well that or a Gishki deck.

Name: Cain Alabast

m94gHqd.png

Background Info:
Cain is actually a far descendent of an Egyptian family of what you might call 'guardians'; people devoted to controlling anomalies and power imbalances in the Shadow Games. While the blood itself is not apparent, the legacy is there, and kept rather secretive, almost like a sort of Special Forces in the dueling world. It is nowhere near as active nowadays, though, if mainly for the fact that Cain's father, Marcus, has inexplicably disappeared.

Already well into his teenage years when he heard the vaguely-recent news, Cain met the prospect with mixed reactions. Apparently, there was no such plausible explanation as to why Marcus was wiped away, given that his most recent operation, a preemptive attack against the so-called Cult of Shadows, was successful. Regardless, Cain was left with his father's personal deck of Dragons.

Now, Cain is left at an impasse. Does he want to exact some sort of revenge on the cult, when there's no proof they killed him? Should he go and find his father, a near-impossible feat in these circumstances? Or maybe, he might try and discover the meaning behind his father's deck, the only thing left of that man? Whatever happens, it seems that the Cult of Shadows will not take kindly to Cain's existence.

Personality:
Cain is a rather well-tempered individual, able to express his emotions appropriately. He carries a bit of bias against Duel Monsters given the facts behind its origin, and regards it as a potentially very dangerous game, as if the clever holograms and special effects could become real at any time. Of course, with the Cult of Shadows, that is all true.

All Cain knows of the Cult of Shadows is their existence, their actions, and the fact that Marcus apparently managed to steal an important card from them before he disappeared. Cain himself is a rather wishy-washy dueler, having not actually practiced much, so he feels that if he does end up needing to duel, then he'll have to depend on the last cards his father had and their untapped power. And power... isn't exactly something he wants his fate to be decided by.

Deck Theme + List:
Dragon, Dark/Wind/Earth
6axRQhh.png
[Deck is edited to be better, but could always use advice for improvements.]

Last edited by a moderator:
@LordM Well, OP never said rp was closed, so I would assume it would be ok. You can make two characters, each with their own decks. However, not sure how the Gishkis would do, as they're, in my experience, a pretty meta game deck.

@Penultimate Pi Well.... The deck could use some improvements. I don't see the use of Just Desserts or Gunfire, along with the equip spells, and the field spell. Would you mind telling me what the focus of your deck is? If it's centered on dark armed, you'll need a good way to control the monsters in your graveyard, like Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, which is a good card in itself. Also, I don't see much protection for your Armed Dragon. For tributing, try Totem Dragon, as he counts as two tributes, and he can revive himself while in the graveyard if you play pure dragons.

@LordM The RP is still accepting and probably will be for a good while!

@Penultimate Pi Accepted. I actually like the Armed Dragon archetype and made a deck centered around them just yesterday in WC2011. I'd recommend using the spell card "Level Up!" if you're going to run them, since the spell basically allows you to summon the successor right off the bat without fulfilling the summoning conditions (except for Armed Dragon LV 10). As CrystalScorpion said, you'd need some protection for your monsters, especially LV 3 since he's pretty scrawny. Waboku is a good trap card to run with him, and Totem Dragon is a great card to run in any pure dragon deck.

@CrystalScorpion96 The deck is rather decent and closest to what I had in mind for "non-metagame" decks. Not too powerful, but still good enough to cause trouble once it picks up speed. I've noticed that most of the decks here are "semi-metagame" here on that note, but I've accepted them simply because I don't think they'd be too much trouble like an actual metagame deck would be for this RP. Come the time for an actual duel though, if I just see exploitation after exploitation with a deck, I'll be requiring some changes. And on this note... I think the only deck I've become a little iffy about is the Noble Knights one. Aside from just having many cards to disrupt monster effects, I've remembered that a lot of the spell cards used for the archetype have additional effects when sent to the graveyard. I've only played them once before and found this was the case, but since I was able to stand up to them well enough with my casual Steelswarm deck, I'll allow it for now, like I said before.

Anyway, I'll be editing the first post with the current accepted CSes here, as well as my own. I'll also be trying to make it look a lot more presentable.

Edited my deck. Any better? I threw in a few extra defensive and graveyard/tribute management cards for good measure.

And finished editing the first post! All I have left to do is make the CS for Caleb, but since we have a healthy supply of characters now, I might start the IC tonight or some time tomorrow.

Edit: I also would not mind a review of the custom cards I made.

Name: Nastna Yokostou

Appearence:
e8663b8d6c596ba8d33589ea8038af75.jpeg

Background: Nastna came from a small town in the middle of nowhere that no ones heard of. His goal is to become the ultimate duel master and put his town in the spotlight. He found out about the Cult of Shadows on an obscure forum on the internet, he's now searching for a way to join and prove his skills.

Deck:
Monsters x20:
Dancing Fairy x1
Mokey Mokey x3
Left Arm of Exodia x1
Right Arm of Exodia x1
Left Leg of Exodia x1
Right Leg of Exodia x1
Exodia the Forbidden One x1
Little D x1
Black Luster Soldier Envoy of Beginning x1
Blast Sphere x3
Honest x1
Rainbow Kuriboh x3
Effect Veiler x2
Spells x10:
Hidden Armory x1
Kaiser Colloseum x2
Amulet of Ambition x3
Fighting Spirit x1
Mage Power x3
Skull Dice x1
Power Frame x3
Memory of an Adversary x3
Attack of the Cornered Rat x2
Black Horn of Heaven x1

Well... if this thing is still recruiting...

Name: Apostolos Megalos

Appearance:
images

Background Info: Apostolos is a studious individual, yet that did not translate into the class-room. For in the class-room they did not appreciate Apostolos' methods on wanting to learn through the Socratic Method. This caused Apostolos to be thrust into the den of detention with delinquents many times, it was here where Apostolos learned of the game of Duel Monsters. Ever since he first played, he has believed that he can gain philosophical insight through playing the game, and has ever since tried to play as often as he can. And with this Cult of the Shadows, he can learn more about philosophy, from himself, and from the Cult...

Deck Theme: Spellbook/Prophecy

Deck List:
2 Breaker the Magical Warrior
1 Chaos Sorcerer
2 Effect Veiler
3 High Priestess of Prophecy
1 Justice of Prophecy
2 Magical Exemplar
1 Prophecy Destroyer
1 Sorcerer of Dark Magic
3 Spellbook Magician of Prophecy
2 Stoic of Prophecy
2 Temperance of Prophecy
1: Dark Magician Girl
1: Giant Soldier of Stone
1: Red Archery Girl
1: Dark Rabbit

1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm
1 Magical Dimension
1 Monster Reborn
1 Spellbook of Eternity
2 Spellbook of Life
2 Spellbook of Power
3 Spellbook of Secrets
2 Spellbook of Wisdom
1 The Grand Spellbook Tower
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Dimensional Prison
1 Magician's Circle
1 Mirror Force
1 Solemn Warning
1 Magic Jammer

Other: He enjoys questioning life, the universe, and everything.

@Krein I can't find the custom cards, I apologize

@cvvc From skull dice down are your trap cards, I think you forgot to label them (sorry for being nitpicky)

@Dinorocket Heavy storm, solemn judgement, and monster reborn are banned cards (Unless we're using bans, I'm not sure tbh, I thought we were following the current ban list and updating when the ban lists update)

@CrystalScorpion96 The custom cards are within a spoiler... in the spoiler for my character's deck list. Spoilerception! As for banned cards, depending on the card, I'll see whether I allow it or not since I myself am using a monster reborn somewhere in my deck.

@Dinorocket Socratic method? We'd have been bros. Anyway, I know that the Spellbook/Prophecy archetype can be used competitively, but after examining the cards being used in the deck, I think your deck is more casual. That being said, your CS is approved. Only thing though, change Solemn Judgement to Solemn Warning.

@cvvc Hmm... the thing I'm iffy about is Exodia with your CS. I don't think you'd just find such rare cards just lying around, unless Yugi decided a while back, "Hey, let me just toss my grandpa's most beloved cards somewhere!" That, and I'd rather not have decks with instant win conditions.

@Krein Solemn Judgment has been changed. And long live the Socratic Method!

There were actually players who had Exodia but weren't Yugi. There was a rare hunter after the DUelist Kingdom arc that actually had a playset of all five pieces.

Also, the way Cvvc's deck is built, it doesn't fully suggest that he's using the instant win condition and if he is, it's very difficult for him to get it without many cards that really generate advantage/tutor.

The probability of any five card hand would be 40 nCr 5. Put that down in a calculator and you should get 658008, meaning that there are 658008 possible opening hands for a standard 40 card Yu-gi-oh deck. In an opening hand, you have a 1 in 8 chance of getting one piece of Exodia. In other words, he really has to rely on luck.

Otherwise, he'l just equip the left leg of Exodia with Amulet of Ambition, Mage Power, and possibly power frame then use it to kick the shit out of your lifepoints.

Also, I'm interested.

@DaCageFighter Haven't heard of that, so I'd like a specific source on it. Regardless though, I'd rather leave the insant win condition decks out for now.

@Dinorocket That method of learning is the main reason why I remember a lot of things from history class this year. Pure lecture and instruction doesn't do it for me, and it even puts me to sleep.

Edit: Hold on with the Exodia deck though, I am considering allowing it, but I'll have to think on it and then get back on it.

@Krein, Oooh... I think I've got it. Seeker, was the name of the Rare Hunter who went after Joey just as he was entering Battle City. He used an Exodia Deck, and dueled against Yugi later on. He was also the Rare Hunter who was afflicted by the Millennium Rod, so Marik (Or Malik... depending on which translation you want) could explain his plan to Yugi.

Also, yeah everyone has their own particular learning style, and it is cool you know which one you are.

The rare hunter was Seeker, who used Exodia to steal Joey red eyes http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Seeker's_Decks
As for the card reviews, I don't really play Iswarms, but to my knowledge they focus on tributing similar to monarchs.
The cards I'm a bit iffy on are:
Infestation Revival: The card seems like a bit much, being able to continously cycle your cards, which, judging by some of the other, can make for some nasty plays that dominate the field
Infestation Immunity: Now, THIS is pretty broken, while dark hole and other destruct spell cards are going on, monster effects are more prevalent in today's game, and being immune to all monster effects is a cost free immunity
Goliath, the first Steelswarm: The guy seems pretty good, almost too good. After getting three tribjtes, this guy nukes the entire field.... except for himself, making it a more attractive Black Rose. Now, it can be hard to get three Swarms on the field, but with the ISwarm Scapegoat you have there, it wouldn't be too much of a problem considering it can be used on an opponents turn. It's a free nuke with a beater of 4000 atk, making it so it can basically 2 hit kill an opponent, and with its effect, it's going to. After clearing the entire field, there's not much most players can do against the second effect, sending one card to destroy all opponent cards of the same type is extremely broken. To put an example, I'll use one from Placidos deck, Superdimensional Robot Galaxy Destroyer, the card is hard to get out due to being a level ten three card XYZ, however, it's effect lets it nuke the opponents backrow, this is not as versatile as Goliath. For another example, Demise king of ar mag end on has a similar nuking effect, but he can be veilered, and takes some points to nuke. Not only that, but his 2400 attack pales with the 4000 attack of Goliath. Furthdrmkre, you can't prevent Goliath from nuking, no traps, spells, or monster effects can be activated to Counter his effect.

That concludes my review, I apologize for not knowing enough of the Iswarms to give a constructive review on your other cards. They all look fine to me, except for the ones I specified above.

There were actually players who had Exodia but weren't Yugi. There was a rare hunter after the DUelist Kingdom arc that actually had a playset of all five pieces.

Also, the way Cvvc's deck is built, it doesn't fully suggest that he's using the instant win condition and if he is, it's very difficult for him to get it without many cards that really generate advantage/tutor.

The probability of any five card hand would be 40 nCr 5. Put that down in a calculator and you should get 658008, meaning that there are 658008 possible opening hands for a standard 40 card Yu-gi-oh deck. In an opening hand, you have a 1 in 8 chance of getting one piece of Exodia. In other words, he really has to rely on luck.

Otherwise, he'l just equip the left leg of Exodia with Amulet of Ambition, Mage Power, and possibly power frame then use it to kick the shit out of your lifepoints.

Also, I'm interested.

Good case. Anyway, I just looked at the cards in cvvc's deck and think the whole low level monster with support cards is pretty fun. Also, Dinorocket helped find a specific source for the Exodia guy, so....

Cvvc, you're approved. CageFighter, you can go ahead and make a CS if you'd like! Nice joke with the Exodia Leg by the way, the image of that made me laugh my head off....

@Dinorocket Thanks for the source!

The rare hunter was Seeker, who used Exodia to steal Joey red eyes http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Seeker's_Decks
As for the card reviews, I don't really play Iswarms, but to my knowledge they focus on tributing similar to monarchs.
The cards I'm a bit iffy on are:
Infestation Revival: The card seems like a bit much, being able to continously cycle your cards, which, judging by some of the other, can make for some nasty plays that dominate the field
Infestation Immunity: Now, THIS is pretty broken, while dark hole and other destruct spell cards are going on, monster effects are more prevalent in today's game, and being immune to all monster effects is a cost free immunity
Goliath, the first Steelswarm: The guy seems pretty good, almost too good. After getting three tribjtes, this guy nukes the entire field.... except for himself, making it a more attractive Black Rose. Now, it can be hard to get three Swarms on the field, but with the ISwarm Scapegoat you have there, it wouldn't be too much of a problem considering it can be used on an opponents turn. It's a free nuke with a beater of 4000 atk, making it so it can basically 2 hit kill an opponent, and with its effect, it's going to. After clearing the entire field, there's not much most players can do against the second effect, sending one card to destroy all opponent cards of the same type is extremely broken. To put an example, I'll use one from Placidos deck, Superdimensional Robot Galaxy Destroyer, the card is hard to get out due to being a level ten three card XYZ, however, it's effect lets it nuke the opponents backrow, this is not as versatile as Goliath. For another example, Demise king of ar mag end on has a similar nuking effect, but he can be veilered, and takes some points to nuke. Not only that, but his 2400 attack pales with the 4000 attack of Goliath. Furthdrmkre, you can't prevent Goliath from nuking, no traps, spells, or monster effects can be activated to Counter his effect.

That concludes my review, I apologize for not knowing enough of the Iswarms to give a constructive review on your other cards. They all look fine to me, except for the ones I specified above.

I can add a clause with Infestation Revival, that being, "You cannot play the selected card the turn you retrieve it." Would that help it?
Infestation Immunity is like Infestation Pandemic, but with monster effects. It only lasts for the turn its activated too, and if it's the monster destruction that's the problem, that can be fixed.
Goliath's immunity only lasts the turn he's summoned. After that he can be targetted/affected by card effects. For his monster nuking ability, would changing it to "destroy all face-up" monsters help?

@Krein, Heh, not a problem, and that duel against Joey in the alley was a rad one.

I've edited Goliath's ability. The opponent still won't be able to activate card effects the turn he is summoned, but I've removed his automatic field nuking ability. The other two effects he has are the same, but if the effect destroying all the opponent's monsters is activated, all damage Goliath inflicts is halved until the end turn.

I'll be adding the two newest CSes to the OP now, and will try and get the IC up today.

Reactions: 2 people