Yu-Gi-Oh! Based Rp Brainstorm

Xenotrix Metamorph

Edgepeasant
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Hey, guys. Sorry for the informal and unorganized approach, I promise with some interest and discussion, if this picks up I will make a much more organized and professional OOC.

So, I grew up playing card games with my brother, so they are a huge part of my childhood and hobbies, the main one right now is Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm also fond of the anime and some of its spinoffs.

Here is the initial pitch. I want to make a story set in that universe where the players are primarily competing in duel monsters competitions, with the primary goal being a new teams based tournament circuit. At first, the central focus would be the players meeting friends, working in their decks, forming teams, etc...with the competitions growing more significant over time. The mystical aspects of the setting would be gradually introduced, with the cast becoming intertwined in it with the shadow games and maybe some new (or old) millennium items, of sorts.

The plan is, at present, to coordinate on decks so people can play what is fun to them without simply hoarding the meta. Most of the NPC's, (most of the characters I would be playing) would be running mid to low tier decks, so even without topping the meta, players shouldn't have to worry about losing to them often. But, PVP would or course occur sometimes, but it wouldn't be much a focus.

Now, the duels would be played in YGOPRO, a free service that gives you access to all the cards immediately. I was initially using Master Duel, but I realized that it'll be a lot easier on you guys if we just use this program. It isn't as polished, but it SHOULD do the trick.

So, we're kinda following a sort of "boss monster" rule, where, at least for now, your character will likely only have a single copy of their biggest or best monsters, and usually only a pair of their super good support. Be mindful also of super strong staple spells and traps. If your archetype has their own version of field wipes like mirror force or raigeki, use those instead of the generic ones. I am currently trying to avoid using those major staple cards for now, at least until we reach the higher level of the competitions.

If anyone is interested, please let me know, and absolutely ask any questions. The central plot is fairly simple at first, so the story will fall into place and be fleshed out with interest.

Edit 1: If you would just be interested in the story and the characters without the actual dueling aspects for whatever reason, I would be absolutely fine with people playing friends of the main cast. Supporting casts are always important too.

Edit 2: I changed the program of choice for dueling to YGOPRO to make things easier on you guys.

Edit 3: I added an additional paragraph on deck building, particularly the boss monster format that we're currently attempting to use.

Last edited:
I'm interested, although I haven't touched the game since Synchros were introduced and I only played a Gravekeeper deck so I'm likely way behind on game knowledge. I like your idea though; it sounds fun. If you get enough people please count me in!

• Thank You
Reactions: Xenotrix Metamorph
That is actually something that we will discuss if we get a few more people. Something I am pondering on is making the story take place in an earlier era where most lf the newer stuff isn't available, or an alternate version of the setting where it's the first era with the newer things.

Oh and thank you for your interest! ^_^

Reactions: Quake
Ayo totally interested. Keep me updated!

I'm interested. Mog knows that, but I'm gonna post here just to make sure all y'all who are seeing this and waiting for more interest before you throw your hat in the ring know that there are more players.

Flame and Ed are both wanting to play two characters, so if we can get one more player, we can have two full 3-character teams of player characters. From there, we'll start getting the NPC built up and you guys can get your decks and characters figured out. We're going to be starting pretty simple with decks, and they will be worked on over time. I will include in the OOC that you can build up your decks, then we can work together to get them properly arranged. You can have the cards you want to add later in mind now, or change it over time, I will be allowing changes at specific intervals. Communication between you guys and myself will be pivotal to make this rp work and as fun for everyone as possible. So, please be ready and willing to work with me. ^_^

We still need one more person, at least, so, I'm gonna go ahead and bump this bitch. Anyone else interested? I currently have several of the NPC's prepared. If we get one more person I will see about getting the OOC put up tonight.

I'm interested, but similarly with Quake, I dropped off just as synchros came out, then came back for pends/links, and got intimidated by the meta.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Welcome! I understand the hesitation, the meta for yugioh got crazy and never stopped. That being said, I am trying very hard to subdue meta for this rp. We are beginning in what is essential early yugioh, maybe GX era in terms of cards. I will be allowing synchro and XYZ stuff later, and probably a small list of links that are archetype specific.

But to begin with, everyone will have pretty low tier and low quality stuff. The NPC's will have a lot of gimmicky stuff that can be strong, but the PC decks should be able to handle them.

If you're interested, just give me an idea of what you wanna play, and if you already have YGOPRO you can put together a build and we can discuss it.

I mentioned already that the idea is to start simple and players will develop their decks over time. At no point will you guys be facing decks that could be considered top tier. That isn't to say you won't be challenged, and don't be surprised if you lose on occasion.

I hope this helps assuage your concerns. Let me know?

I think my concerns are assuaged in this case. Are there filters on ygopro for eras? I don't quite remember which era Inzektors (and some DARKs) are introduced. I'm pretty sure early monarch cards are still good, too.

I think my concerns are assuaged in this case. Are there filters on ygopro for eras? I don't quite remember which era Inzektors (and some DARKs) are introduced. I'm pretty sure early monarch cards are still good, too.
Sadly no, but the filters are very thorough. You want a rank 2 water synchro tuner winged-beast effect monster with "when" in it's card text and 250 attack? You can find it even if you don't know it's name.

If you need tips on using the filters to make a deck though, I am sure we can help. There's a lot of generic support out there! Mog has a pretty good handle on the meta, and it's ok to use newer cards so long as they don't break the meta that everybody starts the rp at.

So, we're kinda following a sort of "boss monster" rule, where, at least for now, your character will likely only have a single copy of their biggest or best monsters, and usually only a pair of their super good support. Be mindful also of super strong staple spells and traps. If your archetype has their own version of field wipes like mirror force or raigeki, use those instead of the generic ones. I am currently trying to avoid using those major staple cards for now, at least until we reach the higher level of the competitions. I hope that makes sense and is okay.

Also! I will be making a discord for this rp, if you are interested in using it.

I think a discord would be useful to have.

Basic OOC is up! Sorry it isn't fancy