YouTube Copyright Issues Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's more a personal connection/relation deal?
I really, really dunno. I'm not that big of a fan to know if he EVER mentioned it.

I do know that Nintendo puts ads/gets money from these videos tho (just like Vinny's Majora's Mask streams), so I suppose that's it.

A'ight, I actually got talking to the chap who's video I'm about to post on Reddit. And it made me realise just how bad Youtube's content management system is.

If you're a massive channel (like say that guy Gwazi posted at the start), you've got a large enough audience who'll kick up a fuss if something bad happens to you copyright-wise. Your channel gets slapped with something, your fans yell about it enough for an actual human being at Youtube to do something about it. And that's great. For big channels.

For smaller channels, though?

Yeah, they're basically fucked if they get hit by a serious copyright claim.

Nyx is starting to recover a bit from this fiasco, but he still doesn't have the numbers he used to draw in. Just look at his current view-counts compared to his old ones. Here's a guy who was literally on the cusp of making it kinda big on Youtube, only to get screwed over by the systems they have in place.

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I'm honestly surprised my own channel never got hit with anything yet considering I literally crop bits out of other videos and re-upload it as video emotes.

Granted, I always give credit in the video name and description.
But this auto removal system seems to care nothing for that with the people it's hit so far.

It depends if you have your channel monetised or not.

If you're not doing monetisation, Youtube doesn't seem as bothered by your channel (unless you're outright ripping episodes of things and re-uploading them). The minute money enters the equation, though, and the site is subject to all manner of outside pressures from companies that don't want their media being used without permission.

That's where a lot of review channels run into trouble. They should be exempt under Fair Use laws, but in practice an automated system means your shit is taken down anyway.

That would make more sense. I don't make a dime off my videos.
And even if I did monetize... I would probably not even make a dime.

I remember Nostalgia Critic actually had some reviews (ex: Jurassic World) where they didn't use any footage from the film and had to act it out themselves as to avoid such strikes against them.

I don't subscribe to many channels, but I do enjoy Buckley and now he has made a video about this, and it is one of his most friendly videos.

So Channel Awesome made a new video on this.

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
So Channel Awesome made a new video on this.
I think this is one of the best courses of action YT creators could have taken. With the absolute lack of feedback that YT takes or allows, a social media campaign could force them to change their minds.

Also, YT needs some competition. Some other video hosting website needs to get big for YT creators to flock to to get YT to fix their shit to keep the money rolling in. It's kind of disgusting how YT manages to reap the rewards of content creators (through ads) while only paying lip service to defending their rights and completely passing the buck when it comes to guilt over copyright claims.

What I found most messed up was that people who file false reports can actually steal the profits without consequence.
YouTube seriously needs some competition. Not as a temporary fall back, but so YouTube actually gains incentive to actually have decent service.

It just keeps getting better.

They're trying to copyright memes now.

It just keeps getting better.

They're trying to copyright memes now.

Is there a date for these? Cause this could be before they back stepped.

That's all I could find on it. Looking for fine bros and meme only gives me that Googly eyed brother with silly text.

Probably pre-back stepping then.

Something to sign up to for those who care about YouTube's Copyright shenanigans.

Where's the Fair Use? #WTFU

For those who don't know about Thunderclap. It's basically an application that will auto-post a Status to your page at a certain time. Use for it in this case being so thousands of people can post a protest in perfect synchronization.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.