Your signature sucks and this is why!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pls. I feel the pain. If you absolutely have to have stupid-huge signatures, could y'all put them inside a spoilerbb? Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Pls. I feel the pain. If you absolutely have to have stupid-huge signatures, could y'all put them inside a spoilerbb? Thanks.
Images in spoilers still load, though.

Images in spoilers still load, though.
Fuck.

Can y'all find some way of expressing yourselves without fully animated 800x600 posters then? Say, quotes? Something with depth and meaning beyond "LOOK, SPARKLES!" I mean, I love gifs as much as the next guy, but this is like browsing Imgur and seeing only one meme dominated 100 pages.

Give my phone (and eyes) a break. KISS it or leave it alone. You may think your signature alone isn't so bad, but if you post multiple times per page, that shit hurts man. :<

It doesn't affect your bandwidth multiple times but some devices are not happy about displaying a bunch of big animations
Mine isn't. I can't go into the music thread on my phone, it takes a solid two minutes to load everything. Though, there is a helpful setting for phones.

kuKh4zx.jpg

Disable displaying signatures, bruv. It helps.

Reactions: Izurich
Would they be a way to reinforce a Gif and non-Gif version of sigs?
That way people have three different display options being

1) Normal Sigs
2) Text Sigs Only
3) No Sigs

That way those who don't like the Gifs but still want to see the text info and ads can do so.

Would they be a way to reinforce a Gif and non-Gif version of sigs?
That way people have three different display options being

1) Normal Sigs
2) Text Sigs Only
3) No Sigs

That way those who don't like the Gifs but still want to see the text info and ads can do so.
I don't think the forum software can distinguish between other images and block .gifs specifically since they're externally hosted, but I might be wrong. You'd have to blanket block anybody from putting images into signatures to do that if you're doing it forum-side.

But rotating siggies are what brought life to my boring profile. Why should you take a home from a homeless man? ; ~ ;

#SenpaiLogicWTF

Anything over 500kbs in size is way way too big.
I think sig rotators are alright, so long as the gifs or images that you add to yours aren't too large individually. Since it cycles through the images you put in, it only loads one image at a time. So no worries there. That means still checking if the gif or the image you put into your sig rotator is over 500 kb, though.

Might clear out my current images in my own sig rotator, too. It's been a while since I checked or updated it. >.>

And for anyone who doesn't want to give up their signature gifs to meet that 500kb limit, here's an online gif optimizer. Gif goes in -- smaller file size version of the same gif comes back out.

Thanks to it, I just shrunk my ~500kb signature gif down to a ~370kb gif. And the best part? I see no visual difference whatsoever. It looks exactly the same to me. And yet, it's a significantly smaller file size. :D (Although, I imagine a gif with a massive file size to begin with would likely suffer more visual downgrades in order to fit within 500kb, so, you know, results may vary and all that.)

Still -- worry not, gif-loving Iwakuians, looks like you can have your cake and eat it too! :D Though you should probably also make sure your images aren't too big in terms of image size, either. Having something that more-or-less fits within the scroll bar is probably a good place to start.

JARED HAS BEEN ANNOYING ME FOR AN HOUR ABOUT YOUR OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE IMAGE SIGGIES!

I would punish you all for it, but I couldn't find a way to do that without having to take away all siggy images and that would suck because I like cute siggy images. We already had to limit siggies to one single image to try and cut back on loading times for threads. D:

Sadly, I could not find an up to date and supported mod for a proper siggy image limitation system. Thus until I can:

We want to remind everyone that huge file sizes on your siggy images suck massive balls for people on mobile devices and with limited connection speeds.

Staff won't be wasting time kicking you about it because they have bigger fish to fry. But PLEASE be mindful of file sizes when you update your sigs. Anything over 500kbs in size is way way too big. And if multiple users in an active thread all have hugeass sig files, a thread starts to lag like hell. The majority of our users are now using smaller devices to access Iwaku and the internet, this is a thing we have to consider now, those damn whippersnappers. O_O

BE KIND - SHRINK THOSE FILES!
This would make a great signature.

• Nice Execution!
But how do you shrink the kbs size? =o

But how do you shrink the kbs size? =o

If it's an image that you want to shrink, you can look up sites for that. I already linked a really convenient gif-filesize-shrinking site a while back.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ashi
If it's an image that you want to shrink, you can look up sites for that. I already linked a really convenient gif-filesize-shrinking site a while back.
Haha, my bad! I see it. Thank you. ^^

EDIT: I hope that's better. =3

Last edited:
Is miens ok it less than 500kb

Umm... hmmm... I don't know how much GBS my image from the pokemon tournament is taking up.... gosh darn it. Am I good?

Time for PSA part 2! How to check the size of images/gifs in your siggy, using my signature picture as a reference: (NOTE: You need to be on a computer! Not a phone.)

Easiest option: Download the image and look! But, if you want to check it in your browser, here's the different ways.

On Firefox: Right click on the image and select "View Image Info". A new window that looks like this will show up. Page1.png Make sure your signature image is displayed in the Media Preview. Size is above that, next to the label that says size.

On Internet Explorer (or whatever they are calling it these days): Almost the same as Firefox, except instead of selecting "View Image Info" you want "Properties". I don't have that browser installed, so if anyone wants to provide a screenshot I can edit it into this post. It should be pretty straightforward.

On Chrome: This one is not straight forward. I strongly recommend either using one of the other browsers, or simply downloading the image and checking it that way. If you absolutely must use your browser, though, here's the convoluted process. Right click on the image and select inspect. It will open up the inspection element, which displays all the coded information for the entire page. At the top of the page you have a list of options, Elements, Console, Sources, etc. Click the double arrows >> to get more options, and then select "Resources". Open up the Frames folder, and the sub-folder within it, which should be the name of the page. Then open up the Images sub-folder, and find your signature image. Note: This will contain all of the images on the entire page, so you may need to scroll through a few if the URL to your image is just gibberish letters and numbers, which it probably is. When you find it, you'll see some basic information about the image, including size.Page2.png

I have too much time on my hands; does anyone even need this?

Just a suggestion also... coming from an artist.

Gimp is completely free software, and you can compress your file sizes down on that :
GIMP - Downloads

Ditto for Krita, which is also completely free (though I think Gimp has a better support system in place, such as forums online to ask questions if you get stuck on something).

Compression of images is never a bad thing for anyone.

Anything that is animated has the potential to be demanding on bandwidth and file size (animations are made up of multiple images squashed together - each image contributes to the final file size).

Most images and animations can be compressed down to about 70-80% while still retaining decent image quality. Yes, results will vary somewhat from image to image.

Anyway. I just wanted to point out that there are some free image editors that folks can make use of if they want control over resizing or compressing images to reduce load weights.

I'll slink back into the shadows now. Hope this helps someone. :)

• Useful
Reactions: Astaroth
Hmmm. My signature is already pretty much perfect, but let me see if I can convert it into a 500 byte SVG that crashes mobile browsers!

• Love
So I must now find a much bigger, graphically challenged siggy... just to annoy Diaannnanan with. >:] this might take a while! Lol, just kidding. I like small sentences too much for any of that.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.