Your most hated nightmare

• Thread starter Yus of the Conquest
  • Start date
My scariest nightmare was reliving the horror that made me have some type of phobia, can't remember the name, but I don't have it often.
First scenario, the actual time I redreamed something that really happened.
I was riding Splash Mountain at Disneyworld, and the log was stopped halfway to the top. I remember being no older than 5 at the time. In the dream, I was just regular me. We were stopped for a while before Brer Fox said his line, "I'm gonna eat you!" to Brer Rabbit, with the usual response, "Please, Brer Fox, don't eat me!". But, we stayed after that. Brer Fox's robot broke, and it started with him turning and staring at us. "I'm gonna eat you!" he screamed with a change of tone with every word. His eyes then started rolling around, fast enough that you could only see his pupil for a few seconds before seeing the back of his eye, white. Then, he started running like a maniac around the little area, finally crashing into the wall closest to me. He then started popping apart, and we had to wade our way to the exit after five minutes of watching a broken Brer Fox. I came off paralyzed. When I was finally able to move again, we went to Small World. Nothing goes wrong there, right? EVERYTHING GOES WRONG EACH TIME THERE, EVEN IN REAL LIFE. We were in the Sweden area I think, when the girls sitting on the flowers kicking their feet broke. One of the doll's feet flew off, and one almost whacked me in the head. They fell into the water, and high pitched screaming singing was heard from them. We had to exit that, too. Oh, I swear each time I wake up crying.

THEN: Here's my second worst nightmare. There's a third, too. The others are either mild nightmares or ones I have forgotten.
I'm in my first apartment in the first town I moved to. My family is gone, and I have to do missions to get them back, or I will never see them again. After just grabbing random things from rooms and doing gross things, I am dared to go into a room with a huge robot DJ. The DJ attacks me, and I trip each time I step, getting up just before he chops me to death. I woke up after he chopped me, face covered in tears, and a red line on my arm where he intended to cut. Freaky, right?

THIRD AND FINAL. Oh, wow, I've gone far!
So, my family is in the world of Captain Underpants. Don't judge me, I was like 8 or something. The bad guy had set a curse upon a water park so that a line would pass through it, killing any mothers that didn't escape it's course. My mom would go to Subway, and eat a huge pill that was supposed to make her immune to this, but then she started seeing mothers die. I could see them, too. Finally, she started to disintegrate, like the others. I cried, and she whispered to me, 'I didn't eat it all. I'm sorry, and I love you.'. I woke up crying and slept in my mother's room, and I never picked up another Captain Underpants book since then, for I feared a repeat.

That was long, but, those are all my most feared nightmares. ANY BOOK OR MOVIE CAN GIVE YOU A NIGHTMARE, EVEN IF IT'S DR. SEUSS OR MARY POPPINS.

I haven't gotten it again (thank god) except when I was younger I got a nightmare where it basically was multiple nightmares in one. So I went to bed and woke up in a nightmare, then I woke up in another nightmare, and then another one and this reoccurred until I finally woke up for real. It was really strange, but lately I haven't been getting nightmares (I probably jinxed myself but whatever) so that's good but I'm sure one will come sooner or later.

Uhhhh... I haven't had nightmares since I was a kid. Like ten or so yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago...

Still, most of my nightmares were pretty straight forward. I'm in a random scenario, then I'm killed by a god damn monster in various horrific manners. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes, even as a kid, I was fucked up.

I've got two that kinda freak me out, and two that annoy me.

I'll just start with one, though.

A dream I get regularly has me hanging on the edge of a cliff. There's always a big set-up for how I ended up at the cliff—my dreams have long and convoluted plotlines—but by the time I'm hanging there, I am well aware that it is a dream. My grip is always good, and I usually have a decent enough ledge to stand without fear of falling, but it's very difficult to go anywhere from there, so I'm stuck.

Now, I know it's a dream. And I know, from experience, that if I jump, I'll either continue the dream merrily or wake up with a shock and get over it.

But I can't jump any more.

It's not that I'm scared of falling, or heights, or whatever. But in my dreams, I maintain a sense of self-preservation, and I won't let myself drop because dream or not, that's suicide. And I don't want to encourage myself to commit suicide, just in case.

And so I'm stuck for what feels like ten or twenty minutes, hanging, freaking out internally as I beg myself to just get it over with, but unwilling to do it. And this continues until I either slip or wake up naturally leaving me anxious and with my heart beating.

My dreams are usually just weird, not really scary.

But sometimes, I'm pretty sure I'm asleep when these happen, but it's like I'm awake, because I'm in my bed, in my room like normal. And I just...see things. Like, shadowy figures. It's happened a couple times, and really, it's weird. They're not doing anything particularly scary, but it always just freaks me out so much. Once, I realized that I was awake when I was standing at my door, screaming at something that didn't exist to "get out!". It was odd.

But the thing is, they're so real, I can't even distinguish between reality. When I wake up, it takes me a moment to realize what's going on. And this has happened, oh, two or three times. And it's just a figure, standing there, and for some reason I always wake up terrified.

Oh. This is my thread. >__>; Most of my dreams are nightmares. No matter. It's fuel for my Horror writing obsession.

The worst one... Well that's a tough question because when you dream about leprechauns eating the innards of some random woman or of scraggly mutant men with crab claws that reside under beds and cut off toes... Well you see what I mean. :/

I'm going to go with a very personal one. A nightmare that terrifies me on so many levels and thankfully I've only had it once.

I dreamed that I was a container.

A holder for something dark and sinister. I could feel it shifting under my skin and it was like an unbearable itch you can't scratch. It's a persistent itch that inevitably would drive anyone mad.

When you realize that there is something wrong with you, some kind of defect, sometimes you get the urge to remove the defect. It's why we pick at scabs and pop zits. Try to imagine what it would feel like to have something growing just under your skin. Try to think about how badly you would want to go into the kitchen and maybe take a knife and try to remove that thing.

But like an incubator - a shell for a mutating yolk - I was powerless to do anything about what was inside of me except lay in my bed and shiver and itch and dear god, someone kill me PLEASE!

What scared me the most about the nightmare was that I knew that whatever it was, it was going to "wake up" soon and I knew that if it did, this world would suffer a worse fate than anything the rings of Hell could offer.

.___.; I have an interesting and grim brain.

The ones where I die and can feel it, the very vivid ones.

I have them almost every damn night.

I only have three nightmares that I have every night, well, one of the three I'll have in a single night.

The first started happening when I was 12. It starts out with me sitting in a park, the only color I could see was a very vivid green. At first I thought it was gonna be a peaceful dream but then I saw this little girl, dressed in a ball gown like the one's the evil step mother in Cinderella wore, but the skirt was puffier and she had very long curled blonde hair, pulled into pig tails. I remember being confused but then more kids began showing up with her, dressed in the same style. And they all looked really pretty, like porcelain dolls. Then suddenly all of the kids surrounded me and they shoved me down and held me down while looking back at the first girl with those large pigtails. And I watched as the little girl smiled, but her mouth was filled with razor sharp teeth and I remember all the kids smiling and showing off sharp teeth like that. Then they all started eating me, and I swear every time I have this nightmare I can feel their teeth in various parts of my body for all of the next day. And this also had me hating blonde haired people for a long time when I was 12-16 now I don't really care as much even though that nightmare still freaks me out.

The second started occurring when was 6. It would start out with all of my family members sitting in a huge auditorium, like the ones used in theaters where plays are performed or Broadway shows. We were all dressed up in fancy clothes and everyone looked calm and happy. Then suddenly these men in black suits and black sunglasses all came in and grabbed me and rounded up my family. I tried fighting back, but when I knocked one the sunglasses off of the man's, who was holding me, face, I looked up and saw only white eyes, now pupil or iris, it was completely white. And suddenly I heard screaming and I couldn't look away as I watched every member of my family get their throats slit open. When they got to my mom, they told me if I could tell them I loved my mom they would let me go and let her live. And I remember trying to scream that I loved her, but my voice wouldn't work. And suddenly they cut her throat as well telling me I was too slow.

Then they dragged me out of the theater and somehow into a meat factory, but instead of meat on the hooks, there were other kids hanging by the hooks, that had been driven into their shoulders and they were crying from the pain as they were moved. But was brought over to this woman who was smoking a cigarette and she leaned down, smiling at me with a sickly sweet smile before she nodded her head. Then they dragged me up and shoved a hook into each of my shoulders. And the pain from that was strong enough to wake me up from the nightmare. After this nightmare, I could never sleep over at anyone's house unless I was with my mom and I couldn't sleep alone at night anymore, not until I was 13, by then my parents stopped doing it and I had to force myself to get over it.

The third is the one that makes me scream as I wake up every time. I'm walking out of my school to go to recess when I notice a ladder in the alleyway that we used to get to the schoolyard. I was curious so I climbed up it to the roof of the school. I saw my only friend at the time, standing by the edge. She turned around to look at me and I remember her smiling as tears fell own her cheeks in red. And then she suddenly began leaning backwards and I ran towards her but I never got closer to her, not until it was too late to save her and I got to the edge and watched as she hit the pavement and died.

The creepy thing about this nightmare, is that she died a week later on my 10th birthday.

Yeah... I'm a bit screwy.

Being a bullied and very miserable kid for most my early youth, my nightmares was the stuff of... nightmares. Well you get what I mean. Almost of all of them dealt with alienation and being chased by things my mind didn't reall understand. Most prominent of these were a skeleton creature in a tophat chasing me. This was before I had ever seen a top hat irl or ever watched anything remotely gothic or such. Said skeleton made sleep a terrible ordeal for me untill I taught myself lucid dreaming at 13 years old. I managed to influence my dreams enough to kill the damn thing. Add to the fact that I had grown nad nobody dared pick on me anymore and I slept soundly for the next years.

Well. When I was 21, I had a super vague but vivid dream that ended with skeleton running me over with a Truck. Said truck was likely the result of the truck horn blaring in the night some distance off. I woke in cold sweat that night. Shit was terrible.

I used to have this recurring one that terrified me to no end. I had quite a few recurring nightmares when I was young, actually, but this particular one was the worst.

It starts off different each time, most of the time it's just like a normal dream. But at some point it all goes wrong and these creatures show up, I could only really describe them as raccoon-like in appearance. The only difference being that they have glowing white eyes. They would just stare at me constantly, never moving, but if I made even the slightest move myself, they would become highly aggressive and attack me. It's at that point I would always wake up.

Man, I gotta say, it might not sound that bad, but when I was having them it was horrible. Sometimes I'm afraid to talk about it in case I trigger another reoccurrence. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why or when they stopped to begin with.

Okay. Bear with me, this is going to be a clusterfuck of several consecutive nightmares in the same night.

So it begins in a wood. I'm some... tall-ish humanoid creature, black and white (color split down the middle) with six dots on the face of the opposite color (I know this because this part was in third person. Don't ask). I'm standing somewhere in some foggy woods, there's a mansion a bit away. Next thing I remember is climbing into a window in the manor. It lead to a small, unfurnished wooden room with some sort of trash chute, a locked door and three scared children. I get the children down from the window (it was a 2nd floor), they run off across the bridge, I continue exploring the mansion via the trash chute. In the basement, more scared people... along with about a dozen mutilated in terrible ways, some open with a biopsy cut (despite being alive), other missing limbs. The ones I particularly remember was a gal with her hips disjointed so that her legs could be bent to her back and arching towards the outside in some sick parody of a pair of wings, another kid with his still-attached arms stuffed down his throat and another kid that had been... deconstructed for a lack of better words - every joint was separated (including the vertebrae and ribs), eyes and ears were hanging out, jaw hanging, and all that was holding the kid together was the tendons, some muscle here and there and some nerves. Anyhow after that the second dream starts.

Second nightmare started myself in some high school (which appeared to be a mishmash of three different high schools I had visited and some constructs of my mind) as my normal self. Everything was mundane enough if you didn't count the odd vibe and the fact that it was somehow dark out. Bell rings, I say something to my friend because I gotta drop some assignment at another class before this one. I head upstairs towards the class (which for some reason the hallway is empty), reach the class and open the door. Inside are lots of dead people - mostly rotten corpses. The teacher, at the front, died looking at the students, and most dead students were either laying their head on their desk (with their arms as a cushion) or propping up their head with their hands to look at the teacher. I get creeped out, look at them for a while... and then they all snap to look at me with empty (and I mean empty - not holes, but... nothingness) eye sockets. I turn around to escape, try to run - but unlike most dreams, I didn't run in slow motion, I straight up tripped. Scared out of my mind, I try CRAWLING away (at this point the dead became undead and were trying to get to me), but the floor felt like it was made of an unholy substance that was like tar-covered rubber - in essence, if we made tires of that stuff, it would revolutionize driving. And so I couldn't really move until the aforementioned friend arrives, picks me up and everything goes back to being as normal as possible. We have what feels like a ten minute class, then the bell rings again and we start heading towards the locker room.

Now a little bit of spacial information. The lockers area was quite... unique. Picture this: it was a room that had a hallway directly through it (with two entrances/exits thus). The hallway in question was about three people wide. Now assume the hallway goes east-west - if you came in through the west entrance, the corridor curved slightly to the right. To the left (thus north of the hallway) was a platform raised about four feet up, with small staircases leading up, and on that platform were several rows of lockers oriented so that every row was open to the hallway (even though there was a rail to prevent people from falling). To the right (south of the hallway) was a rectangular area that was about 3/4 the length of the hallway (which must have been about 10m/30ft long), which was some sort of lounge-like area with a coffee table and sofas, and beyond that it bulged out into an ellipsoid that was also filled with lockers (following the curve of the room and converging towards the lounge), and in the middle of that an open oval area that was about 10m/30ft by 4m/12ft, and the floor in that area was a deep blue.

So we enter that area. There's students all over the place minding their business. We drop our stuff at our locker and head to gym, exiting through the other exit. But again I forget something, and backtrack to the locker room. Except everything has a blue tinge to it, and the doors lock behind me. A lot of the students were slumped dead right where they were, some other were laid across the sofa, and one of them was smashed into the coffee table. I head towards the deep blue area in the middle of the lockers, but stop pretty much in the middle of the lounge. At this point, the view pans out from first person and into a top-down view as the dead rise and the blue oval shifts into the most uncanny, terrifying face my dream could scrounge up (which in retrospect wasn't all THAT scary, but y'all know how dreams work). Then fade to black, and the next dream starts.

In that dream, I'm running down a street towards my house (which is pretty much a wooden, rustic version of a house I used to live in - it felt out of place, looking like a shoddy little wood cabin in the middle of a medium-class residential neighborhood), entering the backyard through the gate of the wooden fence. My father's outside on a rocking chair, my little sister is playing in the garden, digging holes. I say hi to them both before one of my friends (my longest-standing friend) bursts through the fence in a green General Lee. He gets out and for some reason he's in a frog suit and excited to having found all that green. We make plans to go to the mall, and then we go. Timeskip happens (literally - there was no mall scene), and I come back alone in the car, now wearing overalls and a red T-shirt, redneck-style. Except something's terribly wrong. There's some sort of thick, black... mold? overtaking the whole garden and house. It's eating away at stuff, and is leaving some residue that looked like a lava pattern when it fell. I run across the yard, outrunning the mold in question, and jump in through the dog door (no it wasn't there before). I run across an oddly long corridor (which of course was bigger than the house would have physically allowed normally), and to my right there's a wooden room with a gurney. My mother is laying on the gurney, covered up to the neck with some sort of tarp. She looks comatose and has no hair. I continue on ahead, and soon there's another room with two gurneys. On it are my little sister and father. My little sister is covered in the mold, and her arms and legs are completely gone save from some pitch-black bones. My fathers' gone up to the neck, leaving behind angular, sharp and pitch-black bones (think of how most fantasy games portray obsidian/ebony stuff). I continue running, take a left into a baby blue bathroom, look at myself in the mirror - my head is covered with the mold. And thus I watch as my hair falls off with the mold like it was a wig, before looking at my face melt off.

The nightmare then cuts back to the first scene. I'm standing back at the bridge again, looking at the manor. It is on fire.

The nightmare cuts to a dark alley. There's something lying on the ground. From afar it looks like a dog. I approach it. It's a heavily mutilated woman in the end. I wake up.

Well it would have been dandy if it was that, but my body disagreed. I got a final treat as I got a dose of good ol' sleep paralysis, where I see a yellowed version of the girl from The Ring phase out of the wall, horizontally and right above me, wielding a knife, until I close my eyes tight and strain myself to move, after which I literally LEAP away from my bed (there was an open area under the bed and well after this ordeal, couldn't be too careful about bed monsters), open the lights, leap back to the top of my bed and proceed to stare at the exit to my room until the sun rose (no idea how long it took).
Good thing it was Saturday.

Though it was not all that bad - it happened because I tried to unlock the powers of lucid dreaming, and I ended up succeeding for a month before getting distracted and forgetting how.

There's also that two weeks where I had a recurring dream that I was a soldier fighting against japanese forces. They always happened three times a night, and I always died, feeling the method I died without pain (would feel cold in the torso when stabbed/sliced in half, my body would spasm and I'd feel pressure points when shot).

Apparently my psyche hates me and allowed me to dream again.

I had that dream when you're constantly spinning.
For some reason I was spinning up the space needle Extremely Slowly and could slightly control it, though the only thing I could do was spin faster or slower and, for some odd reason, plant stairs.

I hate this one the most now. I was dizzy when I got up.

I have a lot of really weird recurring nightmares. The first one i'm going to write about has been developing over the last few years.... It's almost like every time I have this dream, something more is added to it.

#1 - ZOMBIES. Zombies everywhere! -flails-

This one starts at my home. We (meaning my husband, myself, and our daughter) are heading out for Trick or Treating on Halloween (no idea why) and I end up getting separated from them. I'm walking from door to door looking for them and end up far out in a corn field, heading for a solitary house in the middle of it. As I'm walking, a deteriorating man starts chasing me, followed by a few others. I reach the house, surrounded by a huge chain link fence and climb over it, running for the door. A woman answers and lets me into the home, which seems to be straight out of the 60's - tie dye, shag carpeting, lava lamps, beads hanging everywhere the works. I walk through the room and go through another door, which places me back outside with a group of people getting ready for some kind of fight. My husband and daughter are there (the first time I had this dream, she was just a baby, but as the years go by, she takes her current age). It feels as though we're all trying to get out of the field, which has a dark car with dark tinted windows parked in each row - someone watching the group but I never know who. The first couple of people to leave the fence are shot dead. I take my family and sneak out the opposite direction and run - the scene dissolves around us and we're in a different location.

This location is in the middle of a park of some kind... there's a recreational building, some benches outside, and it is again surrounded by a large chain link fence - maybe 7 feet high. Everything seems to be going well until the fence caves in, zombies storming the park (These are those super scary fast zombies). So we run and the scene dissolves again... this time, we're in a long building made up of three rooms attached in a line. One of the rooms is occupied by women and children, the other two I have no idea. This building is again, enclosed by a giant chain link fence (no idea why this is such a recurring object) but it's not long before zombies are once again, storming through the fence. Everyone patrolling the fence dies.

Another dissolving effect and I'm at my grandmother's house. My husband and daughter aren't in this part. I start in the bottom part of the house (it has a few stories) and my family is there - grand mother, brother, my mom, one of my aunts, and one of my cousins. We head downstairs to find a zombie kept as a pet by some shaded figure (the zombie is behaving like a dog, pretty strange), so we back out and run up the stairs. At this point, it's my brother and myself running along some scaffolding, looking down at a glass ceiling. We see the shadow of a woman waving at us, telling us to jump, so I do and crash through the glass. Then I wake up.

This particular one haunts me because I wake up from it so often, but when I fall back asleep the dream resumes. It's messed up.

#2 - Talking Tornadoes.

Talking.... tornadoes. Seriously. I'm in a forest, climbing a steep hill toward a cabin of sorts perched on top. So I get there, look around for a place to hide, and a booming voice vibrates through the air. It's kind of like the adults in Charlie Brown - You can't understand what they're saying, but you get this feeling as if you already knew what was going to be said. Anyway, this booming voice scares the shit out of me, so I run out of the cabin and down the other side of the hill, hiding behind huge logs. It's here that I notice I'm being chased by a giant tornado with the face of Big Boo (ghost baddie from Super Mario). It's behind me, ripping up trees and trying to catch me. So this Big Boo talking fucking tornado is destroying its way through these trees and I have no idea why. It just keeps talking at me and chasing me and terrorizing my dreams. xD

Reactions: Hope
Apart from school anxiety dreams, there's one nightmare that kind of stuck with me.

It was awhile ago and I was living in a different place, a huge house with my step mom and her kid before we split and moved our separate ways. I was young and shared a room with my step sister, I had top bunk, she bottom bunk. And we would just get changed and ready for school together, whatever. And when she was really young, her mom would come in and pick out her clothes because otherwise she either a) wouldn't do it or b) picked randomly (which, according to her mom, was an issue. She matched all our clothes together in outfits until I asked her to dear god, please stop). In this dream she was in our room picking out her clothes and I came down from the top bunk and looked under my desk and saw a bomb. Like, cartoon bomb, but it was terrifying in the dream.

We were all like, "GUYS GO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!"

But I was like, "My dad is downstairs, he'll get hit by the bomb too!" because our house had a furnished basement that wasn't a basement. The terrain outside was sort of surrounding the "Basement" in the back but not the front where the garage was, so it was a basement-first floor. We called it a basement though. My dad had the room under ours. Technically it was illegal to use it as a bedroom because it wasn't fire safe (it had windows to the backyard but as said the floor was half underground and I think I was the only person in that house that could have reached and fit through that window), but after my step sister and I split and got different rooms, my dad was kicked downstairs (parents didn't sleep in the same room because they weren't technically even married. Don't ask.) and took the room below mine.

And so I ran downstairs to his room and found him sitting as his desk with, get this, two random chicks in the room. Very not-my-dad behavior. He was at his desk with his computer on but was totally doing something with those two chicks. I came over to his side and was like "COME ON THERE'S A BOMB WE GOTTA GO."

Then he pulled me over, wrapped an arm around me and was like, "No it's okay, we're fine," and stabbed me in the lower back.

It was one of those kind of dreams where you wake up and feel your lower back actually hurts, and that's probably why the dream associated it with injury even though it was nothing serious. But it terrified me. After we moved I was like, "Thank god, that dream is one that won't come true!" but it still messes with me today.

And then I had another VERY vivid dream at the apartment I live now. In the dream I climbed out of bed and walked into the dining room, and the windows were all busted open and reaching hands were poking through trying to get me, and people were screaming and I somehow knew they wanted to kill me, do horrible things to me, and I like immediately woke up. I'd only been asleep some 30 minutes. But for some reason it scared the crap out of me.

I use to have this dream when I was little about being kidnapped, I would try to scream but nothing would come out, worse part was I would wake up trying to scream and it was just this noiseless scream that would come out.

Damn, I had spicy food just before I went to bed last night and I had nightmares of being attacked by zombies. It was horrible...

I also suffer from sleep paralysis, though this is rare.

I have dreams that are really unique, i think. You see, i don't ussually dream (when you dream is because you're in a light sleep, and i sleep very heavily) but when i do, i almost always see myself in another world.
In that world i know people from this world, and i have a different life. I'm a sailor, i got a wife, i'm living in an island... but it lasts only when i sleep and the "dream" that feels more like a long lost memory comes to me always, so i don't always have nightares.

the nightmares i remember are the ones i had when i was a kid, and only one of 2 or 3 years. I remember the last one a little blurry. It was about my family and i being kidnapped. I started fighting my captors and i ws so intensely desperate that i moved in dreams and hit the wall (i usually sleep sideways).
The other ones are i myself hanging from a cliff and trying to hold myself from a knife's edge and slowly slipping or the noe where i realised i was in a vivid dream and i couldn't get out and wake up

For some reason every now and then I get the same nightmare where my teeth fall out. I'm almost postive I grind my teeth sometimes when I sleep and that causes the nightmare.

I used to also get nightmares where I was drowning, and I would wake up holding my breath.

EDIT: I also HATE the nightmares where something is chasing you but you can only run at a snails pace for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator: