Your greatest fear/phobia!

• Thread starter Yus of the Conquest
  • Start date
I don't have much in the way of a solid, corporeal fear. Drowning, falling to my death, and so on, were hammered out of my psyche at a young age by having other things to fear and revile in disgust a lot more than those. Even arachniphobia, which plagued me until my teens, I got over, by virtue of living with a couple spiders in my basement room, and realizing they left me alone if I left them alone. (Yes, I lived in basements typically. Sometimes with a window outside. It eventually became voluntary.)

The only real, gripping, sheer terror that paralyzes me is what I might do if I ever lost control. It's one thing if someone hurts or maims me, I can get over that, I've had bones broken and dreams shattered and I've nearly been shanked once or twice, damage to my person is no big deal, and life is just a convenience I've somehow clung to all these years. The fear that I might one day snap, that something will just go too far and I'll go on a violent, psychotic rampage and end up harming people, leave alone people I care for? I couldn't live with myself if I did that, and I fear the ugly survivalist monster within myself more than any other creature, real or imaginary. Because I can smash a spider, stay away from oceans, and not stand over railings. I can't stab whatever the hell kind of monster that might live in my head, just waiting for that moment when I'm too frail to stop it from awakening.

Reactions: Reaper Jack
One of my greatest fears is being too early to a meeting, class anything. If i get there too early i get extremely anxious and can't stop packing around and worrying i've got the wrong time, day e.g and it's a nightmare waiting for people and it gets even worse if it's a meeting with a group of people and no one else has shown up yet.

For some reason being late isn't a problem it's just being somewhere too early. Weird.

I also can't go on escalators without holding onto someone, i just can't. Me and my best friend once went on a trip together and she didn't know of my fear at the time and went ahead of me and got on and i couldn't u ended up crying and she had to come back down and go up with me cause the building had no stairs.

I don't have much in the way of a solid, corporeal fear. Drowning, falling to my death, and so on, were hammered out of my psyche at a young age by having other things to fear and revile in disgust a lot more than those. Even arachniphobia, which plagued me until my teens, I got over, by virtue of living with a couple spiders in my basement room, and realizing they left me alone if I left them alone. (Yes, I lived in basements typically. Sometimes with a window outside. It eventually became voluntary.)
The only real, gripping, sheer terror that paralyzes me is what I might do if I ever lost control. It's one thing if someone hurts or maims me, I can get over that, I've had bones broken and dreams shattered and I've nearly been shanked once or twice, damage to my person is no big deal, and life is just a convenience I've somehow clung to all these years. The fear that I might one day snap, that something will just go too far and I'll go on a violent, psychotic rampage and end up harming people, leave alone people I care for? I couldn't live with myself if I did that, and I fear the ugly survivalist monster within myself more than any other creature, real or imaginary. Because I can smash a spider, stay away from oceans, and not stand over railings. I can't stab whatever the hell kind of monster that might live in my head, just waiting for that moment when I'm too frail to stop it from awakening.
Ah, the fear of the inner human beast. One that I forgot to mention before myself as I have the same fear as well. It's essentially the age-old question of how we as humans keep our instinctive animalistic nature in check. Given certain situations, it comes to the surface e.g. fighting, sex and when we feel endangered. It's that sixth sense that lurks in our subconscious mind. I think the fear is less that it's there, I'm fine with that, perfectly happy to make use of it if I was ever endangered, but it's more the fear that it is something that directly affects our bodies and minds that we cannot control.

Ah, the fear of the inner human beast. One that I forgot to mention before myself as I have the same fear as well. It's essentially the age-old question of how we as humans keep our instinctive animalistic nature in check. Given certain situations, it comes to the surface e.g. fighting, sex and when we feel endangered. It's that sixth sense that lurks in our subconscious mind. I think the fear is less that it's there, I'm fine with that, perfectly happy to make use of it if I was ever endangered, but it's more the fear that it is something that directly affects our bodies and minds that we cannot control.
Well, technically, it's less a mystical sixth sense, more a mixture of fight or flight in overdrive and chemicals secreted by the brain overriding default, rational behaviour via overdose. Same way as if you eat too much sugar you feel sick: If you get too scared or too angry and haven't learned of ways to combat it, your brain will go on autopilot for you via dousing reasoning and decision making centres with the fear and aggression chemicals, and instinct takes over from there. Ergo, I'm scared of losing control to that. Because somewhere in the back of my mind, I know it'll be a personal failing on my part, no matter how understandable, that may result in the injury or deaths of others for no more reason than that: Personal failure to constrain and control the wild impulses left over from four billion years of evolutionary progress.

So, yes. It's a classic fear of losing control over my actions and life, but I understand the scientific principles behind it, and why they're there.

Reactions: Reaper Jack
Oneirophobia - Fear of dreams and dreaming. I've had nightmares since I was really young, and kind of dread going to sleep each night. I haven't had a "good" dream since my childhood. When I tell people that I need music playing to fall asleep, this is what it's for. The music keeps me from falling too deep into sleep, so I don't dream.

Agyiophobia - Fear of busy streets and crossing busy streets. Depending on whether or not there are lights in place for crossing, this can range from being uncomfortable, to full on panicking. I remember once they were doing some road work, and there was so much traffic on my route to work (I walked) that I couldn't go in. Tried to phone them and explain what was going on and why I wouldn't be there, while in tears and babbling and terrified, because now there were 2 fears I was dealing with. Fun fact, apparently this is a form of Agoraphobia.

Telephonophobia - Fear of talking over the phone. This seems so strange, seeing as mobile phones are everywhere nowadays, but I have such a hard time talking to people over the phone. Even calling people who I've known for years is difficult. Calling home is uncomfortable. My family does not understand this, and routinely attempts to get me to make calls. :[

And Driving Phobia, because lets make ourselves perfectly isolated, shall we? ._.

I used to have a fear of falling asleep/waking up simply due to sleep paralysis. I just couldn't handle that shit to the point I would just force myself to stay up, and try to stop myself from dozing off. It was literally one of the worse things I had gone through. Now I have Insomnia, and the few times I actually do sleep I still expirence sleep paralysis. While it still isn't all that great, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother/frighten me as much.

As for my fears now? Well I'm not exactly sure. I guess large bodies of water and being in them, risk drowning and all that crap. Not so much scared of the death aspect, more so the part about not being in control considering I can't swim (And not gonna bother learning). Like Jorick stated, put me in deep-ish water and fight or flight panic mode kicks in.

I guess the fear stems from my first swimming lesson where I slipped off a swim noodle, couldn't do anything in the situation (Considering it was my first lesson in learning how to swim) to help myself, and was heading towards the bottom of the pool. Not exactly sure how long it took the instructor to come and get me, but honestly it was too long considering I was right next to him when it happened and I know I was atleast halfway down the whole ffffffucking pool.

Also don't know how this guy became a ffffffucking swim instructor. Who thinks it's a good idea to put about eight children who have no idea how to swim in one of the deepest ends of a pool at once? When there's only about two adults keeping watch including him?...Or maybe I'm just incompetent because I was the only one who slipped off the fucking swim noodle...Yeah...That's probably it ಠ_ಠ

I am extremely claustrophobic, I mean, painfully so. I panic the second that I can't stretch my limbs out, and if I even think that I can't move freely I'll start hyperventilating. Most people don't understand where their phobias came from, but mine started when I was four and my father kidnapped me. He put me in the trunk of his car and drove for an hour to my grandmother's house with me in there. Oddly, I never developed a fear of the dark, but ever since then I cannot be in any closed in place, or surrounded by a large group of people without completely losing my mind.

As for fear, the only thing I'm truly scared of is dying. That's normal, but honestly the more I think about it, the more terrified I become. I'm always afraid that there really is nothing on the other side, and that once I die that will be it. No light at the end of the tunnel, no reincarnation, just my ashes sitting in a vase for all of eternity. Pretty damn scary if you ask me.

I don't have any phobias, but some of my greatest fears are isolation and fulfillment. I'm an introverted person but I love talking to people, getting to know them, but I just can't engage without being acknowledged. If I'm alone, wondering why my friend hasn't called me for a while, why she or he seemingly ignores me or doesn't make the attempt to talk to me, I fear being isolated without any friends and having hopeless relationships in life.

I always wonder what I'm doing wrong and why is it that when I try to make conversation or set up dates to hang out, they never make an attempt to engage in conversation with me. I'm a perfectionist so fulfilling others expectations is very important to me because I like to help out, let others know they're cared for, and that they can be themselves around me knowing I won't judge them in any way shape or form. Others are more important to me than myself, but I do have flaws. I do think selfishly sometimes and I do become anxious when things get in the way of what I'm trying to fulfill.

Sometimes I cry because I feel like I can't do it at a particular point in life because of obstacles that get in the way.

I know it sounds kinda strange, but I fear futility. Whenever there's a situation where I'm pretty screwed, but can't do anything about it, I kinda break down rather than simply accept it.

• Birds - I'm downright terrified of birds. I edge away from birds in cages at pet stores. I got nervous when my friends had birds on their cameras on screen. It was months of hell where I would scream bloody murder and run like a girl when I had to do rounds for work and I was being attacked by a bird with talons every day. I just have been absolutely freaked out by birds since I was young and was attacked by a pet bird that belonged to a friend of mine.
  • Hypodermic Needles - After getting my childhood booster shots/vaccination a grand total of three times thanks to dear old mom and dad losing my cards three times, I developed a free of hypodermic needles. I get dizzy and pale at the sight of needles that have to be injected into my skin. If they have to draw blood, I get near to fainting and have on more than a few occasions gotten the nurses to panic because its apparently not good to have your patient go unconscious. Surprisingly enough, I'm alright with all other kinds of needles as I have plenty of piercings and even a small tattoo.
  • Heights - I get a bit panicky about heights and tend to clutch onto whatever I can. I often get a bit light headed, which only tends to make it a bit worse as it increases my fear of falling. I back away from the edges and strive not to look down. I don't like the idea of being up high, I want to be as close to ground floor as possible. I suffer thoughts that the upper floors will collapse below my feet and I'll go crashing down. I experience sensations that I'm falling through the floor. It's utter hell at times.
  • Escalators/Elevators - Basically, both of these things are magically transporting me higher and trapping me in place for a time where I cannot really escape. The escalator, I grip the little rubbery side and holdon for dear-life looking dead-ahead until its time to step-off. The elevator, I just pray to dear god it doesn't go crashing down and it doesn't get too crowded because oh my god its already too small in there and I just want to escape already.
  • Bridges - Again, its just being elevated over anything. Rickety rope bridges you walk across are the worst. Or suspension bridges you drive over. They scare the hell out of me. They just don't look secure and like they are just going to snap or sway and drop you off.
  • Crowds - I freak out in crowds in general. Small crowds. Bother me and make me a little anxious. Big crowds make me panic and bolt for an exit, pushing people aside. I just cannot deal with them.

Spiders - Those things moving around just makes me want to kill them by chopping their spider legs in little pieces, then I'm stick with their torso of those eyes.. THOSE EYES!!! Seriously, those bug me a lot..

Puppet/manikin/artificial eyes - They.. just.. feel.. wrong.. They don't blink naturally, and they seem to convey the wrong emotion to me.

Heights - Even just watching a long fall makes me feel as if I'm the one falling, of which is not a good thing since at the end, I usually black out. I'll stay on solid ground, thank you.

The unknown - I don't think I need to say much more about this.

[BCOLOR=#ff0000]Death[/BCOLOR] - Again, I don't think I need to explain, as I want to live.

Geez. So many fears. Its interesting to see how they vary

Telephonophobia - Fear of talking over the phone. This seems so strange, seeing as mobile phones are everywhere nowadays, but I have such a hard time talking to people over the phone. Even calling people who I've known for years is difficult. Calling home is uncomfortable. My family does not understand this, and routinely attempts to get me to make calls. :[
Huh, you know, I never even thought of this is a phobia. I have something like this, where any use of the phone, even when talking to family, is very uncomfortable and feels horribly awkward to me. I'm more comfortable with voice chat things on the computer for some reason, but even those make me feel kinda nervous and awkward.

Actually, after looking it up, I probably have the lower degree that is apparently referred to as "Telephone Apprehension," which seems fitting for my feelings about phones. Neat.

And Driving Phobia, because lets make ourselves perfectly isolated, shall we? ._.
This. My parent's don't understand why I refuse to get a license, but I am absolutely terrorified of driving.
Even when someone else is driving, depending on their driving style and how well I know them, I tend to get rather nervous.

Heights are probably my greatest fear, even if there's a pane of glass or something else between me and a wicked fall, I get really nervous around ledges.

On a lesser note I don't like ticks or needles, not really a fear but they make me incredibly uncomfortable. Snakes are pretty intense too, but if I know a particular species is harmless I have no problem around them so I think my fear of snakes isn't too different than most peoples basic fear of any shit that 'might' kill them, ie a suspicious looking brown snake chilling in a pile of leaves right by your feet. Never the less snakes are pretty chill, there have been a few occasions where I didn't notice a snake until I was nearly standing on top of it, but they've always just kind speedily slithered away.

But yeah, heights take the cake. Me and heights don't mix.

Ticks. I absolutely hate those little things.
And being alone. I think Stephen King said it best. "Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym."

Recently with the difficult struggles of HS, i developed panic attacks and anxiety. Not your healthy, sweaty hands every day anxiety but the type that lowers the quality of your life overall. And let me to you something, sometimes you would wonder if death was the best route. Not that it made you suicidal in every case, it's just the fact that you were so fed up, and so...afraid of things most people did not even think twice about.

Generalized anxiety disorder IN THE PAST caused:
  • Thanatophobia- Fear of death. With anxiety which can cause symptoms similar to a heart attack, i was often afraid of it being more than physiological, such as brain tumors
  • Fear of driving
  • Fear of failing classes
  • Fear of being kicked out of clubs
  • Fear of friends/ family dying with the recent deaths happening at my school lately
  • Fear of hallucination at all times
  • Fear of extreme dizziness
  • Fear of other people getting hurt
  • Fear of being home alone
  • Fear of sounds i cannot connect to the source
  • Fear of open doors, where the room it leads to does not have lights on
  • Fear of dark hallways
  • Extreme sadness that was borderline depression. It wasn't abnormal for me to break down in class
  • ....List goes on, many irrational fears

I hope y'all can see why this disorder requires help. You just can't live your life normally. Many needles, blood tests, and MRIs (because i was dizzy), i've been healing and now it's just bouts of:

• Monophobia- I've been afraid to sleep alone
  • A VERY small amount of irrational fears
  • Spiders. Specially, spiders in my room. Oddly it doesn't matter if they're outside of it! Maybe because they'll eat me in my sleep :P *sarcasm* But for real tho,
It's cray what school can do to you nowadays, so glad i've defeated this monster~

Ugh, I've got a lot of fears due to anxiety.

Spiders: Almost everyone has it. I get that. Also my 'fight or flight' instinct is terrible, when I get scared I freeze and stay there with my breath held after usually a high pitched scream to alert others something is wrong. So if a spider lands on me while Im alone, Im fucked. Thankfully it's only happened once. Unfortunately, it has happened before.

Sleeping alone: I feel this is because of my next fear, but also because I spend so much time house-to-house that I don't have to sleep alone that often. This didn't start until two years ago or so when I started not having to sleep alone anymore.

Dying in my sleep: Particularly due to sleep apnea/not breathing. I suffer from EDNOS (eating disorder) and bipolar, during manic episodes I eat like crazy and sit around with friends, and during depressive episodes I don't eat at all and make a point to workout a lot.During the times Im not eating I tend to get sleep apnea where I stop breathing in my sleep. Other people notice it, and it typically happens when I have nightmares (During my depressive times Ill get a lot of nightmares about eating food and then feeling worthless and guilty about it). And I really fear it. If Im halfway asleep and remember it I get a panic attack that takes a lot of google searching, water, and sometimes food before I feel any better and am able to get a good rest.

I fear failure a lot, especially classes and my plan to be a makeup artist not working out. I get A's and B's but I still always feel like Im constantly failing. It sucks. A lot.

• Thank You
Reactions: ☾Endellion☽
My brother's had arachnophobia something awful since he was little, but when I think about it, I don't have any serious fears like that. I did have bad PTSD for a time, so my worst fear is probably another round of that. Heights and asphyxiation also get to me a bit.