Your Dream Job

Do you like your current job?

• Work is a chore and I hATE IT

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Work is a means to an end

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I love my job!!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • "Job?" I'm sorry, is this some sort of peasant joke that I'm too rich to understand?

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Kuno

Django Jane
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Sci fi, Romance, Historical, Modern, Supernatural
With the advent of Daddy Biden's new move to sweep $10k of student debt from eligible Americans, focus has once again swung to the exorbitant student debt crippling our nation. It had me thinking about myself, as well as other people, and how a lot of us would have gone to college for something else...IF IT HADN'T BEEN SO DANG EXPENSIVE. So I pose a question to you guys:

If you could go to school for any career path, what would it be? If you're already working your dream job, tell us what it is and why you love it so much!

For me, I currently work in surgery, and I enjoy it very much! I always thought the perfect job for me would be as a lawyer, but I can honestly say that my current career holds far more interest than anything else I ever considered.

Reactions: Diana
College was never even an option on the table for me, and now I am like LOLOL NO THANKS buuuut

buuuut, if it were financially viable and I also had a lifestyle that'd make it easier to work around mental and physical health issues I would LOVE LOVE LOVE getting creative writing & english degrees as well as linguistics, maybe even a couple extra languages. O: anthropology of languages. I would also study art and art history as well as MUSIC and learning an instrument to see if my natural talents are actually good enough to develop into a real legitimate skill. I'd also get a kick out of history classes in general and learning various religions and-

I like learning about all the things. >:[ except the maths, maths can fuck right off.

Anyway as for actual CAREER, I'd like to be a published novelist. >:[ Or get paid to run Iwaku, but turning Iwaku into a business would force in changes that'd make Iwaku really suck - so I'll stick with flailing around and hoping I finish an actual book one day. 🤣

Reactions: Kuno
Lol. I'm really struggling with the question of work right now, tbh. Being a PhD student, while rewarding in a number of senses, is absolutely brutal mentally, or has been for me at least, and made me realize I don't want to continue in research.

I would love to go back to school for linguistics and be able to take high level language courses, and even beyond college, I'd love to be trained in digital art and music, and learn how to do blacksmith stuff like forge swords.

My dream jobs as it stands would be either being a formal translator of fictional media (manga, novels, anime, etc) which I currently am not confident enough in my language skills to do, or being a scientific advisor to budding novelists which sadly is not a real job I can specialize in. It would also be great to earn money from my writing, but I wouldn't want it to be my career, bc I want to write what I want to write. Not really for an audience. XD

Reactions: Diana and Kuno
I honestly would have followed my career if my ex-husband hadn't fucked it all up. I wanted to be a fashion designer/haute couture model on the side (modeling was everything to me.) I was also in school for veterinary science. I wanted to be a wildlife veterinarian, and was even more determined to do that after Steve Irwin died.

• Love
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Diana and firejay1
I don't currently have a job, seeing as I'm a child who can't legally work, but the one I'm looking for is a multi media artist and animator- hoping to work somewhere like Disney and such, or an art teacher- that'd be cool.

Reactions: Diana
I AM EUROPEAN WHERE IT IS AFFORDABLE (sorta).

The one thing I was constantly told was that work is 1) never fun and 2) to choose something profitable. Being from a migrant family and also being the first in the whole family to actually go to university means I didn't grow up with a bunch of career options that were approved of or considered profitable. It set me up for law because I wasn't smart enough to do better. Had I known what diversity of options there are for a career and a better understanding of their wages I would have chosen differently.

That is to say, I don't hate my career, it is a bunch of fun (unlike how my parents presented work as) and I have a lot of crazy experiences to share. I managed to set a goal for myself within my set career path, which is a dream, I suppose. But it is admittedly a means to an end for me, and not something I feel so passionately for that I would fight and give up everything for if it wasn't as profitable. :^)

I've always wanted to delve into computer programming. I took classes in high school but haven't been able to pursue any further. I recently decided to narrow down to the field of web-development. My goal is to pursue a boot camp or some other way to get certified. Of course that's expensive, so for now I'm self-studying with online free resources

To be honest, years ago I had a job that I could have considered a dream job -except for the dumbasses that were co-workers that abused my younger brain. I used to be a Zamboni Driver (yes the person who cleans the ice, but does so much more). Honestly, if the people that made me leave out of pure exasperation and work place bullying, I'd still be working there. I loved the job and it was pretty damn cool (no pun intended)

Granted my job now, fits more into my lifestyle. Since I work 100% from home and get to be a lazy sack of shit 8 months of the year.

When I was younger I wanted to be a dentist, but I eventually settled on getting my degrees in linguistics and education. I really do love the work I do now, I just wish that it paid better... (Everyone says education is important and yet somehow teachers are paid peanuts unless they're university professors 😐)

I guess I could try to go to school for business stuff, since my dream job would be to run a tabletop gaming store. I don't know how much higher education would need to go for opening a small business but however much I'd need, that's what I'd want.

So I'm Canadian, buuuut....

College/Uni was never in the cards for me for a number of reasons, not the least of which was realizing I just Did Not Vibe with the structure of school. I like learning and I want to learn all the things, but I don't like being told what to learn and when. Kills all my motivation Plus, a set schedule like that is hell with my various sleep disorders.

All that being said, if I could go to uni, I would want to double major in English and History while also taking as many language classes I could get my hands on.

As for a dream job, I'm actually looking into that at the moment. I'd love to read books for a living, so I'm currently in the process of figuring out how to get into doing audiobooks! This is a very recent decision so I'm still at the very early stages (like just getting used to reading aloud and keeping up a consistent volume) but fingers crossed it works out eventually. And if it doesn't, at least I can say I tried.

• Love
Reactions: firejay1
I have no idea. Went to University. Did a degree in tree hugging (Envi Sci). Started applying for grunt level Science jobs. Got told I wasnt smart enough repeatedly. Eventually got a part time gig for a company that harasses fish so im not broke. Got stuck. Now I don't know what to do next. Looking at jobs is kind of depressing.

I've actually had my mind set on this since middle school. I've always loved working with computers and technology and I love figuring out how things work. So naturally computer programming is a dream of mine

I actually am on the verge of pursuing a bootcamp for web development. Being disabled and not currently financially independent has made this a challenge, but I think there may be a solution, I just have to have the chance to make a phone call

Reactions: Cosmic Fey