Young Wizards: The Trouble with Wizards

R

Revision

Original poster
[GLOW=white]In Life's name and for Life's sake, I say that I will use the Art for nothing but the service of that Life. I will guard growth and ease pain. I will fight to preserve what grows and lives well in its own way; and I will change no object or creature unless its growth and life, or that of the system of which it is part, are threatened. To these ends, in the practice of my Art, I will put aside fear for courage, and death for life, when it is right to do so -- till Universe's end.
-The Wizard's Oath

[/GLOW]

We are born at a given moment, in a given place and, like vintage years of wine, we have the qualities of the year and of the season of which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything more.
~Carl Gustav Jung

ywhoroscope.png

They say the youngest wizards are the most powerful. As time goes on, knowledge and specialty take the place of raw power. The youngest do not know a spell is impossible, and thus they do them anyway. And, since a spell always works, this freedom and innocence, this ignorance, is their greatest source of power.

Each potential wizard is offered a great gift-- wizardry-- from the Powers that Be. Should they accept, should they speak the Oath they come across, they will be gifted with this power. They will also be given a great challenge: The Ordeal, a confrontation with one of the oldest powers in existence: The Lone Power, whose gift was entropy. To gain their full strength, to become fully fledged wizards, they must defeat the Lone One. But it is never that simple, and always dangerous.

This time, the stakes are raised, the danger higher, and, should the newest wizards fail, life on Earth as they know it will be irrevocably altered as the very meanings of the night sky are rewritten...

Summary: You will be playing a young wizard new to their wizardry. You are about to be sent on an Ordeal to undo a plan of the Lone Power. This will involve sacrifice and change. The plot will be centered around horoscopes, so yes, when I ask for your character's sign, that is important to the plot. This game requires you to have knowledge of the YW universe and have read at least the first book (So You Want to Be a Wizard). This is why this plot area is so sparse. History and setting will be drawn directly from the books, with a few adaptations. The game will start in early September. Be ready!

Rules:
1) Keep to the spirit and stated rules of the setting. A spell might always work, but it also always has a cost, whether in temporary energy or in lifespan.
2) Because of the nature of this setting, we will be playing rather high powered characters. Because of this, be sure to fill out your character sheet as precisely as possible.
3) Players who don't post regularly WILL be temporarily hijacked. You may also be hijacked for purposes of moving the story on, though I do hope you will all be there for the most dramatic parts and write your own characters.
4) If you have to leave, tell me. Don't just vanish.
5) If you don't know anything about the books and the setting (Young Wizards, by Diane Duane), don't join. The first book IS required reading for this roleplay.
6) This is NOT Harry Potter. I shouldn't have to say this, but I am, just in case.
7) You may make a human, a cat, or a whale who has taken the form of a human or cat or has some other way to to blend in on land.
8) This is not anime. Don't make an anime character. Really. I mean it.
9) Characters should be at youngest eleven and at oldest fifteen. This means NO MAKING OUT.
10) Just because Marvin the Martian, The Doctor, and The Powers are canon to this universe does not mean your character can be any of them. Earth characters only. NO GODS.

Character bio:

Name:
Species: (cat, human, whale. Cat character players must have read The Book of Night With Moon. Whale players must have read Deep Wizardry.)

Specialty: (living things, inanimate objects, creation, song, etc.)

Pets:

Western horoscope sun sign:

Appearance of your manual: (if they are human. Other species disregard)

Personality:

Short Bio:

Important equipment: (There shouldn't be much to this, so keep it simple.)

Please write a short post of how they were offered and how they accepted the Oath:

Name: Bisahalani (Some people call him Alan)
Species: Human
Specialty: Living stuff
Pets:
Western horoscope sun sign: Scorpio
Appearance of your manual: It's a book(if they are human. Other species disregard)
Personality: Stern and observant. He has a devote sense of duty and is very honorable but can sometimes be arrogant and untrusting toward others.
Short Bio:
Bisahalani grew up on a reserve where he learned traditional Navajo ways in the shadow of modern life. When he was born it was divined that he was destined for some higher purpose, that he would commute with nature, life, and universe to aid balance and so he was named Bisahalani.

As he grew up he was prone to illness and got sick often enough that his parents had to take him to a hospital in the near by big city. After recovering from one particular illness he seemed to be fine for a long time until just recently he got sick again and it got progressively worse until he was bedridden. His parents were going to take him to a hospital but his grandfather barred them from doing so, saying he needed to lay a hogan. Alone. They were doubtful, but they trusted him and ultimately did as he said.

Important equipment: Nothing comes to mind

Please write a short post of how they were offered and how they accepted the Oath:

I have been getting sick as I did when I was a child, this time it is worse. At first it was headaches, then fever and weakness. My body ached and pained and I became pale. Modern medicine could not help me, the singing of my people did not help either. My parents wanted to take me to the hospital, my fathers father said to let me lay in the hogan. So here I lay in the hogan. The medicine man that is my grandfather performs a sing, a healing ceremony. He did it yesterday and left a painting in the sand of The Holy Ones. I feel as if I am dying, I am continuing to weaken and I am seeing things that are not real. Rest. I must close my eyes and rest.

His eyes open and he is not where he was. He is standing just before a forest and when he turns around he sees many things that he is not ready to comprehend, but one thing that he does not comprehend but does understand. Death. Death has it's place in nature but it seems there is a force seeking to twist the balance of the universe and it was being shown to him, and it wounded him deeply. Feeling as if he is being guided, Bisahalani walks through the bombarding images and sensations. He looks down and as if there was no ground beneath his feet he sees himself from above. His breathing is shallow and his eyes do not shift as one does while deeply asleep. Feeling the guiding force again he walks toward a dead tree, the only one standing in a field of burned down trees and charred corpses in the middle of four mountains that he recogizes. Putting his hand on the tree he wishes so many of them had not perished, sometimes it is part of nature but many times it is not. If I could give my life to save them...Under his hand he feels the charred bark move and when he lifts his hand he sees words forming. A promise, an Oath. Looking down through the no-ground he sees himself again and understands. If he makes this promise, he will die but many will be saved by it.

"In Life's name and for Life's sake, I assert that I will employ the Art which is its gift in Life's service alone. I will guard growth and ease pain. I will fight to preserve what grows and lives well in its own way; and I will change no object or creature unless its browth and life, or that of the system of which it is part, are threatened. To these ends, in practice of my Art, I will put aside fear for courage, and death for life, when it is right to do so- 'till Universe's end."

There is blackness, noise, movement. Crying and shouting, Bisahalani feels no air until air is forced into his lungs. His chest hurts, but his heart starts beating again. He opens his eyes to see his father sitting over him with tears in his eyes and sweat on his brow, there is the reserves physician looking at his watch with a grim expression and his grandfather, the medicine man, praying with confidence. It seems Bisahalani had been legally dead for three minutes.

Unexpected stuff is cropping up. Won't be able to work on the bio for another week.