You Get A Cookie should be a Positive rating

Make Cookies a positive rating!

• No! I hate cookies! D:<

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything except the cookie part.
Why? Normally when someone doesn't agree with a statement they at least explain why or state their own opinion. Not doing so can be totally dismissive of not only what someone has to say but the topic as a whole. It also prevents you and the other from understanding each others mentality and is not very engaging. After all Iwaku is a community and we are all here to not just write but make friends and establish connections. Anyways, For example, I have NO IDEA why you would disagree with making all the ratings neither positive or negative as that is virtually harmless compared to how they are now. Although, I do understand that making all of the ratings neither positive or negative would defeat the purpose of having ratings to begin with. Thus, it would make more sense to have less confusing ratings (again the face hugger rating is super backwards), fewer ratings, ratings with a specific purpose, ect. Not only that but the ratings can be very damaging to people with low self esteem(besides those that are positive), and allow people to get away with belittlement. I don't think people should be allowed to say "WTF did I just read" because its not the OP's fault that nobody wants to put forth the effort of understanding why the person said what they did. It's dismissive and really unnecessary. I think a "Just why?" rating would be better, but even then it is still very dismissive. It serves absolutely no purpose in my eyes other than to be used in a negative way, which makes me question why we even have the option to be negative to anyone on this site in the first place. I'm perfectly okay with disagreeing someone, and not seeing eye to eye since it is perfectly normal. I'm perfectly okay with not sugar-coating everything and making it all puppies and rainbows (as that isn't realistic). What i'm not okay with is that there is an actual negative rating for the sole purpose of being simply negative to someone, which is what the "WTF did I just read..." button has become. There is no usefulness to it. It doesn't provide any constructive criticism like cat like typing or the nice execution ratings do. Basically all it is used for is to indirectly say that you dislike or disagree with what someone said, but you want to make them feel like they are stupid for saying it. Its never used for its intended purpose which is to simply say "that doesn't make sense to me". This is why I never use that rating unless what someone says LITERALLY makes no sense, not because I dislike what they said and I want to be convoluted, but because I genuinely don't understand what they are saying. Even then when I don't understand I ask them to clarify.

It is never viewed as being positive like the "You get a cookie rating", and even then the "you get a cookie rating" is a mater of perspective. It can be used in either way, and because of that it can lead to a lot of self esteem and insecurity issues. For example, whenever I receive a "you get a cookie" rating for posts that I worked SUPER FUCKING HARD ON, it just comes across as demeaning. It can lead to thoughts such as "Oh I must not be good enough for them.", "I feel like I just wasted an hour on that.", "Is it not good enough?", "What's wrong with it?", "Why do they keep giving me that rating? What am I doing wrong?", "Why are they not taking me seriously?". At some point the cooking rating can cause people to actually believe that their work isn't good enough or cause people to doubt their friends good intentions. I know I'm not the only person on this site that suffers from anxiety/insecurity/depression issues. I just don't view either two ratings as being used in an effective non-convoluted way. Sure the site could have them labeled as positive, but to some it still won't be seen as positive. Also I thought the cookie rating was a neutral rating? Anyways, if there are going to be ratings then it needs to be ratings that have a clear meaning behind it and cannot be used to belittle or demean something.

Now about the "you need a hug" comment I made. Again I don't understand why you would disagree about the fact that it has a double meaning. People use the "you need a hug" rating to express another member trying to be comforting (or they could be using it in a cheeky kind of way which I don't believe most people would) yet the icon for it is a face hugger. The face hugger is from the Alien/Predator movies is a creature that latches onto an individual's face, forcibly impregnates the host (rape), and then that host later dies because an alien baby bursts through the stomach. In a way the "you need a hug" button can be used in a negative way, but that's probably me being paranoid and overthinking something.

Last edited:
I don't have the energy, nor motivation to share my views because I created the thread in a light-hearted mood with simple words. This was not how I expected the thread to become. This thread is supposed to be about "Cookies becoming positive rating", not a complete review on how the Rating system should be, how they affect a particular person, and all that above.

Why? Normally when someone doesn't agree with a statement they at least explain why or state their own opinion.

I would, if only the ensuing discussion does not derail the thread's topic, which it will, so I won't.

but that's probably me being paranoid and overthinking something.

What I think to your two posts above, I mean no offense, just being honest.

Ok... I didn't expect my joke post to cause an actual debate here. :/

So feeling at least somewhat responsible for this starting up I'm also going to ask people to drop it, at least within this thread.
I for one do want to respond a bit to what Vio said, but I'll do it via PM to avoid derailing the thread anymore.

Ok... I didn't expect my joke post to cause an actual debate here. :/

So feeling at least somewhat responsible for this starting up I'm also going to ask people to drop it, at least within this thread.
I for one do want to respond a bit to what Vio said, but I'll do it via PM to avoid derailing the thread anymore.
I don't think Vio is responding to your post in particular, he's expressing his points which is good, but unfortunately off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.