You don't have to see to believe...

Her cheeks burned bright pink as she blushed. "O-oh thank you!" She said not used to hearing things like that. It was true, she was a pretty girl, but looks made no difference to her since she couldn't percieve them. Marcus smiled from his place watching them. She needed a new friend. It was hard for her to talk to anyone taking private lessons to keep from being teased, and not going anywhere else at home. Besides, Rod needed to expand his social network too.

Roderick's slight chuckle grew into something more hearty, though not by much. After this new expression of amusement, he then calmed himself, and commented on Kieara's current predicament.
"You know, you don't have to be embarrassed, you really are beautiful Oh, but listen to me waffle on about you. It sounds a little odd if I just comment on you like this, would it not? Nevertheless, if anything must be said, it's that you have such a talent at dancing... The most I've ever done is the hokey-cokey."

She giggled at his pronunciation of the Hokey Pokey, then she spoke. "I'm sure if you wanted to and hung around Marcus long enough he could teach you." She said. Marcus spoke up. "Alright, time to get back at it you two." He spoke. "Kieara, you need to work on your turns, and you Rod can get started again."

((We call it hokey-cokey where I'm from, thank you very much.))

"All right. Cheers for the water, by the way. I'll meet up with you sometime else, maybe, Kieara. I don't know. We'll find out."
With a nonchalant shrug, and a quick wave to Marcus, Roderick hurried out of the door, leaving in a considerably happier mood than when he had gone in. After all, he had just made a new friend, he hoped - she seemed friendly, and she seemed genuinely interested in talking with him as well. Why not go for it?

((lol I know it's pronounced differently in different places, thought it would make for an interesting conversation in the rp but the characters didn't pick up on it lol.))

Kieara felt like she was walking on air. She'd found a friend who would talk to her and not crack jokes about her eyes or not being able to see. He even called her pretty. Though that compliment held little understanding to her, but she understood pretty was a good thing. Something appealing. She liked that. She listened as Marcus chuckled. "Nice to see a grin for once, now off to work on those turns." She did just that and began to work on her dancing.

"All right, let's see... That's a lot of wood I'm supposed to be moving."
Without so much as a shrug, the load was hefted onto Roderick's shoulder, and he took the items out of storage. He wasn't quite sure what would be done with the planks, but he knew it ws not his place to ask. He was here to lug things around, and that was what he did.

Kieara danced until her session was over. Her father was running late though and Marcus' next class came in. It was a group this time. She sat on a bench waiting for her father to come get her. None of them payed enough mind really to notice she was blind, and they always teased her. Marcus was going to set up for their class and change shoes since they were a tap dance class.

One girl in particular honed in on the young woman. "Look girls, seems the high and mighty came off their high horse long enough to grace us with her presence." Kieara frowned staring at the floor while a couple giggles were heard.

"Marcus, the girls down the corridor are complaining they've got the wrong stage decorations, are you sure that-"
In his usual, obtuse way of entering, Roderick had just interrupted another situation, though this one was probably a far less comfortable one. There was an air in the room that stank like rotten eggs - maybe it was to do with the condescending manner in which the girl nearest Kieara seemed to be embroiled. Maybe it was the giggle that was constantly floating about. Nevertheless, if he could take the heat for whatever was happening, he'd at least find out what was happening.

They had yet to notice roderick. They were too focused on Kieara. Kieara didn't respond to them. She listened as they continued to mock her. "What nothing to say? We too good to talk to?" She spoke crossing her arms. Kieara rose her head a bit her sensitive ears having picked up on Roderick coming in. She stared at Kieara's eyes for a moment then laughed. "Oh wow, you really are pathetic now aren't you?"

Roderick didn't need any further prompting - Marcus obviously wasn't there to defend Kieara, so he'd have to take it into his own hands. Purposefully, he stepped in front of the two opposing forces, acting as an immovable object, one that stood between Kieara and her aggressors.
"I'm sorry," he said, though obviously not, "But would it be too much to ask for you to not aggravate her? I'm sure a higher authority would not appreciate such disregard for another human being's feelings, hm?"
Though his arms were held behind his back so as to appear non-threatening, Roderick's tone was unmistakable - leave Kieara be, or suffer the consequences.

Kieara was surprised at this. "Roderick?" Her soft voice spoke. The girl looked up at him and was about to speak back but stopped her nose crinkling in disgust. "What the hell happened to you?" She said. Kieara didn't know what she meant. There was nothing wrong with Roderick, at least not that she could tell. But she spoke up anyway. "Leave him alone, he did nothing to you."

"Please refrain from saying such things. I will not be responsible for my actions, if you cannot stop uttering rude comments."
Roderick's tone was firm, and quite neutral - he had come to work, not start an argument. Yet, here he was, defending Kieara. Regardless, he couldn't have someone unable to even see who she was talking to be subject to such attacks, and put himself on the line for her. He couldn't just stand by, idle - even if it meant they were going to attack him, on account of something he couldn't help.

Marcus walked in. "Come now, leave them alone, this is my studio, and you obey my rules. So get over here and stretch out or there's the door." He said as the girls lined up. Kieara spoke. "thank you.....I'm sorry." she said to him. She hadn't meant for them to start on him.

"It's perfectly all right. Compared to what else I've dealt with, they're just lightweights. But listen to me waffle on, are you all right? Are you hurt?"
It was simple to tell that Roderick was being genuine about his questions, as opposed to being polite. He was concerned for her wellbeing, and nobody had to see into his eyes to believe that.

Kieara spoke. "I'm ok." she said. "They weren't as harsh today as they usually are." she smiled softly.

Roderick sighed, relieved that she was fine, and sat gently down next to her. He rubbed her shoulder, a simple and friendly gesture, and spoke to her.
"Listen, I'm going to be here a while. If Marcus isn't around, and I am, if you need anything, then just say. Got that? J can't let people gang up on someone else without good reason, it just isn't right."
Though he had no idea if they actually did have a reason, he assumed them not to - Kieara was just sitting there and taking it, while they all attacked her without a second thought.

Kieara blushed a bit at the contact, but she didn't move away. She liked it. She smiled as he spoke and listened to his words. She then offered him some of her own. "Thank you....I don't want them ganging up on you too though." she said. she'd feel worse if she found that they were double teaming him to keep them from double teaming her.

"Ah, forget it, I've dealt with worse things. Don't you worry yourself, I'll be fine."
He genuinely meant it - he had dealt with worse than a gaggle of hateful girls making vaguely insulting remarks about him. When t gets to a point in life where everyone's seen it, you've pretty much heard everything.

Kieara smiled. She turned in the general direction of the door hearing it open and her father beckoning to her. "Kieara, time to go home." She stood. "It was nice talking to you Rod." She smiled. "Bye." she said and slowly made her way to the door.

"See you."
Roderick rose to his feet, the spring in his step weighed down a little. He supposed there was nothing he could do about people being prejudiced and discriminatory towards him and Kieara - it was a fact of life. Nevertheless, he had some work to finish up, so he stayed until it was.