"You are what you eat" and other weird sayings!

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
There's always these weird sayings that people like to throw out there. Like "You are what you eat." "Old habits die hard." or "Don't catch your chickens before they hatch."

Have you ever wondered where these things come from? Or thought "WTF this is bullshit!"?

...or on some occasions want to slap the hell out of someone for throwing one out when it's not helping AT ALL? XD

Share some of these sayings that you either love, hate, or are just plain confused by!

"You're just pissin' in the wind." "A one legged cat trying to bury their crap in a tile floor makes more sense than that."

"Wow, you really screwed the pooch" "Rub some Windex on it" "You make baby jesus cry" "You make as much sense as a Atheist Priest." "A friend will bail you out of jail, a best friend will be sitting next to you, bitching about how great THIS is."

Oh, and if anyone says this to me in real life, I usually go BERSERK.

"It's in God's plan."

Don't/never look a gift horse in the mouth. <_<

That saying stemmed from the fact that whenever you buy a new horse, you always want to check the state of its health first. One of the indicators of a healthy horse is its teeth. However, you wouldn't want to check a FREE horse's health because a.) it's rude and b.) it's a FREE HORSE, don't question it.

*goes back into the hole she's made for herself in insanity*

COOL TEGAN FACTS!

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

I like this one. It's like: Don't be greedy and be happy with what you got at the same time....sorta. idk, thats how I look at it anyway.

Oh, and if anyone says this to me in real life, I usually go BERSERK.

"It's in God's plan."

....I hate that saying so much. D:< It annoys the crap of me, makes me want to beat someone up. My step mom says that a lot. I HATE IT. D< I could say a lot more about this, but I'm not... That'll be a long post... >>;

Well, lemme think of some. Probably not very weird ones, though... -_-

"A rose stuck in cow dung." - Some ugly smug trying to get lucky with hot chick.

"Pot calling a kettle black." - The guilty labeling another as so.

"Ugly words put in the front." - A way of saying, "Let me make it clear first."

"Hanging up one's appetite." - Make one's mouth watery, or leaving one in suspense.

"From afar, she's a beauty. In close-up, she's a banshee." - I think it's clear enough what this means... lol

And the rest have obvious meanings.

"A bad word whispered will echo a hundred miles", "A bad worker quarrels with his tools," "A bad workman blames his tools," "A fall into a ditch makes you wiser," "A crisis is an opportunity riding the dangerous wind,"

and get this one:

"A country where flowers are priced so as to make them a luxury has yet to learn the first principles of civilization."

One that has always irritated me just a bit it "You can't have your cake and eat it too".
What else was I going to do with my cake? >(
I know where it comes from, which makes more sense, a phrase where the verbs are reveresed - "Would you eat your cake and have it too?" essentially, but in its current state it just bugs me.
[/end rant]

OOOOH I do hate that one too!

Oh

"Blind leading the blind"

"Whatever floats your boat" OBVIOUSLY IT'S A CAREFULLY CRAFTED BUOYANCY SYSTEM! (Yet at the same time I can't help but use it...)

"A penny saved is a penny earned."

"What comes around, goes around."

"Strong as the weakest link."

Anything Johnny Cochran has ever said.

In other words. . . Chewbaca defense.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRv0wJsBXRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRv0wJsBXRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh and one I seem to use too often "Getting one's ducks in a row."

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Why would you lead the horse through a forest or whatever to give it water when you have a perfectly fine water system at your HOUSE?!

Well there are a few that I love like: "Paint the town red" and "Read between the lines". They are just awesome.

"Bite the bullet."

"Not listening to old man's tales would bring regret before your eyes."

"Eating filthily, grow up filthily."

"Time waits for no one."

"Playing harp to a bull."

"When a man is full, his family is, too."