Yokai High (Cammy and Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I have this...sense, of who I can or can't trust. I can read people really well. I wasn't planning on telling anyone else. The teachers know he's an important advisor, but only the principal knows his exact job. I know I can trust you, but I'm not sure why. I came to live with him because..."

He paused again. Again, he didn't want to answer, but this time for different reasons. He just wasn't ready to open that door right now. He finally just shook his head. When he spoke again, his voice was rough and tight.

"It's difficult to talk about. I don't want to discuss that right now." It made him feel like an orphan. He had a stranger for a father. He was more of a caretaker than a parent. And yet he couldn't help but want something from the man. More than just to know him, more than just being able to call him more than 'sir'. It caused a hurt deep in the centre of his chest. Kaede increased the speed this time, fast enough that they didn't have to talk anymore.

It became obvious that Kaede did not want to talk about his past regarding why he came to live with his father in Japan by the way he increased his speed just enough to make it awkward to discuss. Up at the other end of the track a couple students were walking past the track which told Kota it was time to head in. Pushing forward he picked up his pace and waved his hand nonchalantly to Kaede. "Students are beginning to gather. Time to head back." he looked back over his shoulder. "I'm headed to the showers. See you at practice." With that his pace quickened once again to more of a sprint. Time had gotten away from him. He was so distracted with finding out about Kaede's past that he hadn't realized how close he was cutting it to his meeting with the faculty that he had once a month before class.

Exiting through the fence that wrapped around the perimeter of the track he passed by a few first year girls. He could hear them giggle, but paid no attention as usual. Rushing through his shower he didn't take his time and relax like he normally would. Thankfully, he had made it to the meeting just in time though he had cut it awful close. The principal and teachers looked to him quizzically as he was always quite a bit early to the meetings. Silently and briskly he took a seat with his notepad as the principal began the announcements.

The meetings could be rather dull. Most of the time they talked about the statistics of the overall GPA in each class, while the teachers complained about the students they thought were a nuisance, and suggested they be expelled. Though it was out of his character, Kota looked out the nearby window and began dazing off. He began playing out multiple different scenarios of how and why Kaede had ended up here.

"What of the foreigner?"

Kota's daze was broken, and he sharply turned his attention to the teacher who had brought up his prospective team mate.

"He doesn't speak Japanese nearly well enough and I'm afraid his grades might suffer for it. It's the middle of the school year. How did he get in here anyw-" he was cut off by the principal's raised hand. "That is enough," the principal said sternly. "With all do respect, Hironaka-san, it is not for you to question."

The teacher , stunned, didn't know what to say and simply dropped the issue. Kota breathed a sigh of relief. Hironaka was probably one of the toughest teachers in the school. It was he who Kota was afraid would not allow Kaede to join the team. He so hated confrontation and didn't want to have to speak up about Kaede in front of the entire staff.

As the meeting wrapped up and the teachers began shuffling out of the room Kota approached Hironaka and bowed politely. The teacher's sour expression softened slightly. For some reason he had always favored Kota over the other students. Kota always thought it was due to him being the captain of the track team. It was common knowledge to most students that he was captain back in his day, and a n amazing athlete.

"Yes, Kota what is it?" he said abruptly.

"Hironaka-san, I have begun training in the mornings with the new student you spoke of earlier." the look on his face darkened ever so slightly. "You have?" his eyes narrowed, "Are you certain his grades will qualify? He isn't failing, but I don't see him keeping up with his language barrier."

"I will tutor him myself if I need to." The teacher looked up with a hint of surprise across his face. "We need him on the team. I'm sure if you signed off on it..." his voice trailed off as he tried to read the man. There was a long pause before Hironaka spoke again. "As long as he can keep up in class I'll talk to the coach." Kota smiled. "But he's you're responsibility Kota!" Kota nodded and left the room quickly. He didn't want to give him any more time to rethink his answer.

Kaede let him sprint off, just nodding at his back as he gradually slowed his run to a jog, giving him plenty of time to get ahead of him. But, once he stepped off the track, he ducked his head past the other students and hurried himself into the locker room. In the shower, he slumped onto the floor and sat there for a few minutes, the water pouring over his head so that he could have a few private moments to cry. Mornings were always the hardest when it came to beating back the grief. He wondered how long it would last, or if it would ever really go away.

Kaede walked into class awhile later, his damp hair curling all around his face, but his face stoic once more. He sat in his seat by the window, feeling like he was preparing for battle. He thought back on the exercises his tutor had given him yesterday, and he spent most of the time during homeroom doing that and mostly ignoring what was going on around him. But his feelings were boiling up inside him today. He felt tense, and things felt just a little too bright, and too sharp. Kaede rubbed his face in agitation, feeling starved. Before the first teacher came in, he pulled a banana out of his bookbag and wolfed it down hungrily. It helped, but not enough. He was about to go for the mochi when the teacher walked in. Hironaka. Kaede sighed again. The teacher had displayed a distinct dislike for him yesterday, even though he had barely glanced in Kaede's direction.

Homeroom seemed to drag on and on for Kota. Normally he would simply breeze through the classes, but that day he had other things on his mind. His thoughts wandered to his and Kaede's conversation on the track and how agitated he got when the subject of his relocation was brought up. Not only did Kota normally not pay attention to other people's dramas, but he intentionally avoided it. He like peace and tranquility. Tension made him extremely uncomfortable. However, unlike his past experiences, in this circumstance he wanted, no needed, to know why. Why did he come to Japan? Why did n't he know his father before? Why is he so uncomfortable talking about it? What was this strange yet familiar energy he was emitting?

He was brought back to the present as a packet of papers was dropped on his desk. Looking down he saw that it was the test from last week. A+ as to be expected. The bell rang and the students began clambering out of their seats. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Haru coming his way, but he just didn't have the energy to deal with him at the moment. No doubt he wanted to ask him about his training session with Kaede that morning. Casually, he weaved his way through the crowd of students into the hallway and made his way to his next class.

~ Lunch time

Kota took his seat at his usual table surrounded buy the group boys from his class. They were talking about the upcoming meet and would occasionally pause to give room for Kota to slide on in the conversation as he often would. Not today. Today he was on a mission. His eyes searched the room for a particular student as he rolled an apple impatiently in his hand.

By the time Kaede got to the canteen, he was starving and on the last threads of his emotions. It was so bad, he could barely translate the menu. He could feel the impatient glares of others behind him as he struggled to order. He finally managed to mumble out a request for some fried noodles and grabbed a bunch of snacks out of the refrigerated display case. It came out costing almost three times as much as a normal lunch, but he didn't care. He'd need it all to get through the afternoon.

Taking his order, Kaede looked around and tried to find the quietest corner of the busy room. He would love nothing more than to hide away for the rest of the day. But there was still track team practice, and then cram school and tutoring. He almost wanted to cry just thinking about it. Today was not a day he felt up to all of this. He ran his hand through his hair, agitated as his eyes scanned the room, until they met Kota's. He shied away and tried to pretend he hadn't noticed him, but he knew the upperclassman wouldn't be fooled. But he was at a full table, right in the middle of a crowd. Kaede just didn't want to deal with that. He didn't have it in him right now.

Kota's scan of the room stopped when his eyes met Kaede's. He was alone in the corner of the room. His shifty eyes told him that he did not want to be disturbed. Kota was not one to be ignored. This was new to him. Standing up in the middle of the crowded table caused just about everyone around him to stop what they were doing or saying to take notice. Confidently, he walked to the corner on the far side of the room where the underclassman was clearly trying to hide.

He approached the table decisively. Choosing not to sit he looked down to Kaede. "I spoke to your teacher," he paused. "The one standing in your way of joining the track team." Scanning his face he tried to read his demeanor. "He agreed to you joining the team so long as your grades remain acceptable. In which case I am responsible." The strange energy he felt before was immensely pulsating. Stronger, more unpredictable than the last time. He could remember the stresses of the curse, or blessing, depending on how you look at it. This boy could crack at any minute. Kota calmly stared at him for a brief moment before slyly testing the waters. "The table there," he said turning his body slightly towards the general direction, "it has room for another." he said almost decisively. Carefully he watched his reaction to the invitation.

Kaede hunched over his bowl as Kota approached the table, almost visibly cringing as he felt the energy coming from him. "O-oh. W-was it Hironaka-sensei? H-he doesn't like me..." he said tensely, stumbling over his words. When Kota invited him over to the table, Kaede literally recoiled, shaking his head hard, as if Kota were about to attack him. "N-no, I-I am not feeling well, I...I will just eat here. Please. I am not have a good today...please..." He was hardly able to talk, running both hands through his hair, tormented.

Kaede felt like he was going to explode. He tried to pick up his chopsticks with shaking hands and they clattered onto the table. He snatched them up again and valiantly made another attempt. "Please, just...leave me alone. For a short time..." he begged, not looking up. He just wanted some peace so he could eat. He was so hungry!

Eyes were beginning to turn to the pair throughout the room, and Kaede could hear the murmured whispers clearly, though in his state he couldn't understand them. But he could feel the stares. He stumbled to his feet, abandoning the bowl at the table and shoved his snacks into his bag, trying to shove past Kota. "I have to leave...!"

The energy was visibly rising at an alarming rate as Kaede stood to his feet. It was as Kota had suspected. There was no doubt now. He was sure. Kaede shoved past him creating a energy currant between them as they touched that felt as powerful as lightning. Kota recoiled back instinctively. He wasn't just any ordinary Yokai, and it was clear that Kaede had no clue what power he held. This would need to be approached slowly and delicately. There's no telling how he would react when learning of this. Kota needed to stay close. He could explode at any moment releasing a power he doesn't even know he has. Kota would need to be near to counteract any and all possible reactions to the stress.

"Come with me," Kota demanded sternly. It was evident in his tone of voice that he wasn't asking, and even more so by the firm hand on the back of his shoulder guiding him of of the building and towards the back of the school. Kota didn't speak again until they rounded the back corner by the library where there was a ladder leading up to the top of the building. Stepping to the side Kota nodded towards the ladder. "Up you go," yet again he wasn't asking. He waited for the under classman to get up ahead of him by a few rungs before climbing up himself.

Kota would feel as if Kaede were on wheels as he steered him out of sight, and if he had looked then, he might not have noticed why, since Kaede was still moving jerkily, obeying the guidance even as he squirmed under his touch. As he scampered up the rungs, Kota would see the reason. Kaede's feet didn't even touch the rungs as he pulled himself up towards the roof.

Kaede didn't fully comprehend where they were going or why. He still felt a powerful need to get away, even though he was grateful to the upperclassman for getting him out of the canteen and into somewhere isolated. He vaguely thought that he would have to remember this spot. Reaching the roof, he dove into his bag and pulled out two packages, tearing them open. He scarfed down an onigiri and a mochi before Kota could even finish climbing.

Now that his hunger was somewhat eased, he jumped up and started pacing, trying to keep his distance from Kota. "W-why are we here? What do you want?" he demanded, agitated. His feet were still an inch or two above the ground, but he didn't notice. Everything was so bright, and he felt itchy and hot all over. He still felt like he could explode, but as long as they were alone and Kota didn't touch him, Kaede felt like he could hold his emotions back just enough to talk.

Looking up to where Kaede was ahead of him he was not surprised to see that his feet were not touching the rungs. Many beings with extraordinary abilities could do such things without intention. Reaching the rooftop he searched Kaede's face. Clearly, he did not know that he was levitating. He was agitated, stressed, and on the brink of explosion.

"W-why are we here? What do you want?"

Kota said nothing at first. Instead he closed his eyes and took a long, slow, deep inhalation. When he began to slowly release the breath he also released his influence. His influence was something of a gift. He could calm a single person, or an entire group of people. Likewise, if he chose to he could heighten anger, resentment, hatred. Though he never would.

His intention was not to numb Kaede. No, he only wanted to take the edge off just enough to where he wouldn't slip and possibly transform before he was mentally or emotionally prepared for it. He opened his eyes. His eyes that if one were to look close enough could see red flecks within them. Something that always happened when he exercised his unique abilities.

"You're agitated today," he said as a matter of fact, "Any idea why?" He could see the hint of crumbs left on the edges of his mouth. "You're hungry, sure," he paused as he thoughtfully walked to the edge of the rooftop and looked out across the campus. "But I think you might know something is... off. Am I right?" he asked looking back over his shoulder at him.

"I don't know, I...I miss my mother...so much..." he said, trying hard to swallow down the sudden emotion. "She, I'm not dealing with it well. Some days are worse than others..." He flopped down onto the roof, breathing hard as he ran his hands through his hair. The itching had eased, but he didn't really register it.

"I...she's dead. Very suddenly. She had the flu, but the doctor said she would be okay. Just a little sick for a few days. I was bringing her breakfast before I left for school..." Kaede choked up again. "She was already dead. They said it was a problem with her heart. Something she was born with, that nobody knew about. I thought I would go to live with my grandparents, but we found her will. That was how we found out about the Agreement. Between her and my father. It was hardly a month ago, and now I'm here...and I don't know why I agreed. But I just, I felt I had to come. I mean, I could have pretended we didn't know, or I could've argued and refused, but I had to know..."

Kaede let out a long, tired sigh and let his head drop. He was calming down on his own now. It felt good just to be able to say it to someone who wasn't a servant; just someone he could trust. The emotional tirade was easing, and now he just felt exhausted. "I left my lunch..." he idly observed. He would've liked that bowl of noodles.

Kota looked down at Kaede and felt empathetic towards him and his situation. Reaching down into his bag he pulled out a extremely neat bento box. Kota had made it himself that morning, but wasn't very hungry. He held the box out to Kaede. "Eat," he said decisively with a hint of kindness. "I'm sorry to hear about your mother. There must be a lot of weight that you're carrying around."

It made sense now. Why all of a sudden his unique qualities began surfacing. Extreme stress, or changes can trigger the change in a person. He could remember back to when he first discovered who he was. Thankfully, he had his mother there to guide him through it all. His family came from a long line of priests, temple guardians, as well as some yokai here and there. She was no stranger to it all. If he hadn't had her he couldn't imagine where he'd be now. Kaede didn't appear to have anyone. Although, it was strange, the agreement between his parents in such a case that his mother would parish that he'd go live with his distant father.

"Have you noticed anything... different with yourself since she had passed?"

Kaede accepted the box almost reverently, a bit surprised and touched by the offer. "Thank you..." After giving the traditional blessing, he ate slowly, thinking about the question. He also felt a weary laziness creeping over him as the stress continued to bleed away.

"I'm not sure..." he started to answer finally. "I was in shock at first. They had to treat me at the hospital. And my grandparents did a cleansing ceremony before I left...to help me grieve...but I just felt this...I needed to come and stay with my father, even though I'd never met him. I couldn't explain it. And he's...different. Like you. There's this, energy, you both have. It's kind of scary, makes me nervous..." There were other things, too, but Kaede simply attributed them to stress. Things being too bright could just be remembering the bright hospital lights he woke up under. A flashback. The eating was probably just emotional. And he'd always been able to read people and guess their intentions.

He finally gave Kota a careful, assessing look. "You must know something...about why I was almost losing my mind a few minutes ago. Or you would not have asked..."

"Have you ever done something you couldn't explain? Known something you shouldn't?"

His eyes scanned over Kaede's face, judging whether or not he could handle the truth. It was etched with stress and worry. He looked exhausted. By this point not telling him would be an injustice. He would either take it relatively well or he would lose it. That was a chance he was willing to take. If Kaede really was what Kota knew him to be then he was sure that he would find the strength in himself to handle it. Puzzled with how to begin he shifted his weight to his other leg.

"I don't really know how to begin." Taking a long inhale he continued, "First, know that it is imperative you stay calm and composed. The majority of people do not know much more than you right now, nor do they have the ability to know more without causing harm to themselves and others around them. Second, know that you are not alone." He knew he was going to regret what he was about to do. "It will be easier to show you."

Kota knelt down beside Kaede and held his hand out in front of him, palm facing up. He willed his energy to accumulate to the solar plexus region. It built up stronger and stronger until he felt his body temperature rise and his skin begin to tingle. A small controlled ball of fire surfaced just inches above his palm. It surfaced without ignition, and burned without fuel. The flames flickered and danced in his hand. He let Kaede watch for a moment long enough to soak it in. After he was satisfied that it was long enough to where he couldn't try and pass it off as a trick, he clasped his hand shut into a fist, extinguishing the flame. With much anticipation he tried to read Kaede's face. Outside of his family he had never shared nor shown anyone what he had just shown him.

By this time, Kaede was too tired to waste more energy panicking. Instead, he rubbed his eyes and stared again at the flame, mesmerised by it, even after Kota had closed his hand on it. He even stole a glance at his gifted lunch to make sure there was nothing in it making him hallucinate. But despite everything, he knew that the upperclassman was earnest.

Kaede thought about this, really trying to take his time and focus on everything. As much as Kota unnerved him, he felt connected to him somehow. It was true, there was definitely something different about this boy, and about his father. He hadn't been able to figure it out himself, and here was Kota, offering him an answer. Even if he was wrong, Kota believed what he was saying. In that respect, he had an advantage over Kaede. If these breakdowns and panic attacks were some kind of power, then he should probably try to find some way to control it. Because just a few minutes ago, he truly believed that he was going to explode.

"You're not tricking me. But...how? And what do you mean I'm not alone? I'm...like you and my father?" He couldn't wrap his head around all of this at all. "What are you, then? What am I?"

Distantly he heard the first bell ring. They needed to start heading back to class. Kaede groaned inwardly, giving Kota a worried glance. Would he be able to make it through his afternoon classes? He couldn't start skipping classes already, not if he wanted to be on the track team. Swallowing hard, he returned his attention back to his lunch, eating quickly but still listening for an answer from Kota.

Status
Not open for further replies.