Yawar - the world of adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
9ce6ad12a3223ec3f6d238e2716e2e1c.png

Ylva looked down at the book in her hand. An extended study of the lichens found in the upper Novffi steppe. Huh, that was a peculiar coincidence. She hadn't actually paid any attention to the words on the spine when she had selected it and yet somehow she had picked a book about home.​
"I'm not sure this will be very interesting. It about the different kind of lichens you find up…" Ylva paused, she couldn't remember if she had ever seen lichens in this part of the world. Moss was prevalent in the hot damp forests but lichen, she just couldn't recall. "Erm it is about the different sorts of flat moss that you find a long way north from here." Ylva put the book down before settling herself on the floor next to Rasha.​
"How about I tell you a story I learnt along time ago that I'm sure you'll have never heard before?" Ylva was absolutely certain the kid wouldn't have heard the story before. She was probably the only person who knew it in its entirety. All she had to do was to remove her name.​

Last edited:
Viaryn
Following after the half Kiju and Ashfa, Viaryn quickly mouthed words of apology towards Hegdar as he bolted towards the back exit and out into the alleyway. He zipped past a couple discarded boxes and other various debris, slowing down to turn and knock over a couple of crates, in hopes of impeding on the pursuit of the guards. He rounded a corner to see Ashfa pointing at a tunnel and rushing ahead once more. The boy made for the tunnel and pressed himself against the wall as well, making an attempt to catch his breath without giving away their location.

For a moment, he stood there and processed the situation in his mind. So far they were on the run from the guards and would be assumed to have been aiding the half Kiju in whatever he was up to if Hegdar ever told the guards about them. Though he had a fleeting hope that it was not the case, Viaryn looked to Ashfa and spoke in a hushed whisper, "We need a place to lie low...I have a few places in mind, but the safest would be my house. It's quite far though, almost outside the city limits and the guards might not travel that far. If we're lucky..." His voice trailed off as he began to think of an excuse to say to his mother. It was already bad enough that he was going to be lying to her, but putting her in harm's way didn't sit well with him either. However, with the current situation, there wasn't exactly a great number of options to choose from.

• Nice Execution!
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and Greenie

dc0d97123942d2df747762fdc2b66b5f.png

Ashfa looked over to Viaryn when he spoke, still catching her breath but managing to hear what the young man had to say. To be able to stay somewhere safe sounded ideal, but what about Ylva? What about... She looked away from Viaryn just in time to see the half Kiju take to the roofs. Now that was a way to go, but she was much too small to climb up, and she wasn't sure Viaryn would be able to either. She could hear the guards approaching quickly, and the moment's reprieve was fading away while panic was beginning to set in.

No! I can't fail now! If they saw anything like guilt on her face, then surely they would catch her even if the half Kiju was hidden and gone.

"We need to send them some other way," she hissed under breath. It was then that the guards showed themselves, clearly looking around for the half Kiju.

"He- he ran th-that way!" Ashfa stammered, sounding rather scared. She pointed in the direction of the roofs opposite to the one the half Kiji had climbed. "I... I thought he would hurt us!" It was a lie, but seeing how small she was and how frail she looked, with her hands to her face and body trembling, it wasn't hard to believe she was telling the truth.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo

While Rasha was out of the room Ylva wondered just how much of the story she had in mind she should tell the boy. He didn't seem overly young, but he also seemed to have a very different childhood to the one she had had. Ylva couldn't picture him hanging around in the street like she had. She didn't want to scare Rasha and give him nightmares, and Ylva could quite imagine some of the details of her story might do that. That being said though he had sounded so animated describing the commotion outside so maybe he was a little tougher then she was giving him credit for Ylva thought.​
Her train of thought was cut of by Rasha reappearing, arms loaded down with cushions. She'd just have to work it out as she went Ylva decided as she got comfortable on the cushion the boy had given her. The boy seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve and she was pretty good at reading people. If it looked like it was getting too much for him she'd change the story as needed.​
"So this story begins in a jungle deep in Eccvone…"

• Creative
Reactions: Greenie
Viaryn
The young Valekian stood in place, huffing from having run such a distance as he rested his hands on his hips and leaned forward slightly. His head drooped for a moment and Viaryn peeked back up at the sound of what was the half-Kiju clambering up the wall of a nearby building to safety. He blinked a couple times, turning his attention to Ashfa, who stressed the grave importance of sending the guards away as soon as possible as they arrived in no time, surveying the area for any traces of their strange companion. As she began to frantically wave her arms and attempt to deceive the guards, Viaryn decided that it was best to follow suit and he rested his hands on her shoulder, trying to comfort her.

Nodding, he spoke in a frightened tone, but one with a hint of composure,
"She's right! He was large but seemed to be wounded. I doubt he could've gone far. We were simply on the way home when he passed through." Viaryn ended his sentence, hoping it would be enough to convince the guards to take the bait and pass by without too much poking and prodding.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nice Execution!

Ashfa was holding her breath until the two guards finally left the two. Her shoulders slumped a little and her hands shook, feeling whatever courage had emboldened her to lie finally fading fast. She didn't know if what she had done would come back to bite her, but... it didn't ring right with her letting the half Kiju get caught when she felt that perhaps he hadn't done anything at all...

She was now finding herself doubtful of her actions and wondering if that had been a something stupid to do. But what was done was done. If she headed over to the guards and told them that she lied, they could very well take her in and stash her someplace in a jail cell.

Today was not at all going as she had expected it to go. She looked to Viaryn; the idea of heading to his home sounded good, laying low away from areas where authority wandered about. But first...

"I need to go to the docks..." She broke the silence before looking to the back door of the shop. "My friend was going to meet me there... I can't leave the city without her."

"Thank you, I'll keep it in mind." Ylva smiled at the lady as she made to gather up her belongings. The room was remarkably silent now that pretty much all the other guests had left. Almost as if to remedy this something in Ylva felt compelled to carry on talking. "It is good to see a little one with so much curiosity. I'm not certain I could have sat and listened to stories for so long when I was his age. He is a credit to you." After pulling on her pack, Ylva took a moment to check everything was as it was and the looked at the hostess one last time. "Thank you for your hospitality and good fortunes to you and, Rasha was it?"

Stepping outside the world the had existed when the lexpro had lead her to the inn had been transformed. Now the streets, while not full of people, had a hustle and bustle to them that was in stark contrast to earlier. It was obvious to Ylva that things were likely only going to get busier, becoming increasingly like they had been when her and Ash had arrived. Frankly that didn't really appeal. It would be best she decided to gather any supplies she might want as quickly as she could now, and then head to the spot where she had left Ash this morning. Things would be a little less crowded there. And watching the sea was a good a way to pass the rest of the day while she waited for her friend as Ylva could think of.

The journey to the meeting point was a little erratic. A combination of hunting for supplies and not recognising some of the streets she ended up on meant that Ylva saw slightly more of the city than she intended to. Eventually though she found pretty much everything she was looking for and she made her way towards the cliffs overlooking the harbour. She had bought a length of rope because that was always useful and some sticks of jerky because it traveled well. After that her purchases had become more frivolous. Soft breads, fruits cheeses and other small foods stuffs that wouldn't last long but would make tonight's meal and maybe a few others feel a little special. It would be nice to have chance to relax a little before their journeys began again.​

Viaryn
Seconds ticked by as Viaryn assisted Ashfa in an attempt to direct the guards in another direction. He watched as the soldiers bickered amongst themselves for a moment, then thanking the pair for their 'contribution' to the investigation and went along their way. Letting out a sigh of relief, Viaryn turned back to Ashfa to see how she was doing and possibly figure out what the next move was. She mentioned something about meeting someone at the docks and he rubbed his chin, contemplating what he should do. His head turned in the direction of the Half-Kiju's hiding spot and back to Ashfa, "Ok. We could do that, but are we going to bring him?" The young Valekian jutted his thumb up towards the roof and looked to Ashfa for her input. Judging by the conversation they had earlier, it would be harder to navigate with him in tow if the patrolling guards increased in number.

"They'll be increasing in number soon. So whatever you want to do, it should be quick," Viaryn said, ready to follow her.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Viaryn

Having thought really hard, Viaryn snapped his fingers as an idea came to mind.
"Well, the best I can do is try to get you to the docks. As far as escaping, you may just be on your own." He watched as the Half-kiju descended from the rooftops, tilting his head as he looked between the pair, trying to ascertain their next move, but also appearing to have his own set of questions. The Valekian checked his pocket watch and quickly looked around to see if anyone was making their way towards the area. Although it was quiet, it would only be a matter of time before something else complicated things.

Considering the time of night, there shouldn't be too many people out on the streets. The docks may have a few people lurking around, but they should still be careful. People at the docks were prone to do anything for a pretty penny. Before anyone else arrived in the area, he pulled Ashfa and their new friend into the nearest alleyway and retrieved a pad of paper and pencil from his bag. Turning to the Half-kiju, he would hold it up and make a scribbling motion as if to ask if he knew who to read and write.

Waiting on his answer, he turned to Ashfa,
"It might be a small problem if we don't figure out a way to communicate with him."

So much going on in so little time, it was all a little too much for Ashfa to take, so she was happy to let Viaryn lead her into the alleyway along with the half-Kiju. Once they were hidden safely, she pressed her thumbs against her temples and fingers to her forehead, massaging at the pain that was beginning to to surface. It seemed she'd soon have to make potions to calm herself if things got worse. Losing her money, getting herself caught up in whatever this way, involving a poor local boy- perhaps it would be best if she simply left the city behind?

She let her hands drop to her sides as she cast a glance at Viaryn first and then at the half kiju, nodding slightly. It would certainly make things much, much easier if they could easily communicate. She knew a few words in their language from what she picked up by hearing the slave she had seen when she was small, but her accent was terrible and she was quite sure he wouldn't understand her.

"It would be good if he can," she agreed quietly, not really wishing to be overheard. She looked up at the huge half kiju, hoping for an answer, though she her mind pushed at her to carry on with heading straight for her meeting place with Ylva. "I- we should get moving... if we linger they will surely catch us. Do you perhaps know a shortcut... or maybe a way that's hidden?" Travelling through the city proper would cause an uproar for sure.

Ashfa lifted a hand as to call attention to herself. "I... I have an idea," she started, looking from the Viaryn to the half kiju. "I'll head to the docks... I should be able to find them easily enough by myself. You and... he should head to your house. No one would come after me... and you will probably have an easier time with only one other person. Just give me directions... I'll find Ylva and we'll see to come to your place."

After taking directions from Viaryn, Ashfa quickly headed back for the streets of Paitore which were once more filling up with merchants, patrons and tourists alike. Her backpack was no longer on her shoulder but held in front of her with her arms wrapped around it- she no longer trusted that anyone might simply leave it alone. Even if she had no money inside, there were other things that she didn't want or need stolen.

The way to the docks was long and slow, especially with the streets filling up yet again. It was already hot, but with so many people and so much hustle bustle, Ashfa was scared she would faint. When she finally reached the meeting spot she was damp with sweat and seemed as if she would topple over.

@Applo

Looking up as the familiar shadow fell over her, Ylva was shocked to see the state Ash was in. Her friend was covered in sweat and swaying slightly, bag clutched in a vice like grip in her arms. Leaping to her feet, Ylva steadied her friend and scanned the streets for anyone who might have been chasing Ash. When after some time no one appeared she gently took the weight of her friend's bag and used it to guide the young deorsum to the sit on her own recently vacated coat.​
"What happened?"
As Ash recounted her tale, Ylva began to feel increasingly guilty. It didn't take her long to connect the dots between what her friend was telling her and what Rasha had said had been going on outside the inn earlier. Ash had been in trouble so close by and she had done nothing but play with cards and tell stories. Ylva harboured a lot of uneasy feeling about how she had dragged Ashfa into the chaos that was her life. She always assuaged those feeling by knowing that she would protect her friend with everything she had. But she hadn't. She hadn't done anything.​
Despite how she felt, Ylva tried to appear calm and reassuring as Ash finished her story. This approach was tested a little when Ash explained her plan to her. Ylva's immediate instinct was that her and her friend should leave town as soon as they could and not look back. One look at Ash's eye's though was enough to persuade Ylva to silently make that idea plan b.​
"Ok, let me gather my things and then we will go." As she stood up to collect her possessions, Ylva placed her waterskin in Ash's hands.​
"And drink some of this before we set off."

As Ash lead her through the city, Ylva couldn't but help but notice the increasing number of guards in the streets. It wasn't the first time she'd seen such a thing and it made sense. Partly it was a show of force to calm and remind citizens that the law still ruled and partly it was a hunt. Ylva was just glad that for once it wasn't her they were looking for. Still the sheer numbers made her uncomfortable just out of sheer instinct and a hand reflexively found its way to the pommel of her sword.​
When they ultimately arrived at the house that Ash had been looking for, Ylva swung her pack to the floor and rested against the buildings wall. "I'll wait out here and keep watch for now." She paused. The question she had avoided asking earlier had been weighing on Ylva's mind and right now was about the last chance to ask it. Reaching out she put a hand on her friends shoulder. "Ashfa, you know that if this is the path you want to follow I'll be right beside you, but are you sure you want to do this? It won't be safe or easy I think. We can still walk away."
There was another pause as Ylva tried to marshall the thoughts in her head into something sensible before giving up and letting her heart talk instead. "Just be sure is all." Letting go of Ash's shoulder, Ylva smiled at her and then made her way across the street to lurk in ever growing afternoon shadows.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Viaryn

It had taken a bit of maneuvering, but Viaryn had managed to lead the injured half-kiju back to his humble abode. Pushing the door open, he peeked his head and gestured for his guest to hold for a moment. The young boy walked inside the house and found his mother cooking dinner in their small kitchen. She stood at a solid 5' 9", her copper skin shining with sweat from the heat The aroma filled his nostrils as he set his bag down and gave her a big hug,
"Hey mom. Sorry, I'm late. A couple things happened and I may have company coming over if that isn't too much to ask?" He pecked her cheek and inched closer to the pot resting on the stove and pulled the spoon to his lips, but was quickly stopped by a swift slap to the hand.

"Well hello to you too." She sighed and shook her head, "I'm glad you got home safely." Her jet black hair was pulled up into a bun which bobbed back and forth as she glided about the kitchen area, grabbing up various spices and seasonings. Her eyebrow raised at the mention of company, "I don't have an issue with having company over, but it would have been nice to have a heads up."

Viaryn scratched his head,
"Yeah sorry about that. There was a commotion in town and a fight broke out. Which brings me to my first guest...He's injured.." His mother blinked for a moment and set everything down, her eyes meeting her son's giving him a look of concern. Helen heaved a sigh and shook her head, "Oh V...Where is he?" Viaryn went back to the door and retrieved his guest, leading him into an area past the kitchen that was set up like a living room. His mother came in with a medical kit and began to examine his injuries while she instructed Viaryn to go an finish cooking. As she treated her patient, she would make an attempt to assure him that he would be alright, meanwhile, Viaryn waited for the others to arrive, hoping that they had found their way alright.

• Bucket of Rainbows

Ashfa paused by the door, thinking over what Ylva was saying to her. She didn't quite know what was planned, but she had promised that she would meet up here- and she wasn't one to break promises after giving her word. Besides... her curiosity was a big part of this. Even if he seemed somewhat scary, she wanted to know more about this half Kiju and why he was here. If they finally had some down time, maybe that would be possible.

Looking back at Ylva, she nodded at her. "I want to... I want to see where this leads... but don't worry. If you think it's better to go, we will." She trusted her friend's judgement more than her own. It was just an opportunity showing itself though, and she didn't want to miss it by being overly cautious. As long as the guards didn't come near, they should be fine, right?

Without waiting any further, Ashfa turned to the door and knocked on it twice before waiting for a reply.

Viaryn had found himself back in his room, changing his clothes and setting his personal effects. He pulled a plain lavender shirt over his head and slid into a fresh pair of pants, proceeding to place his dirty clothes into a bag and pulling the drawstring up. Fumbling about on his desk, he searched for a small black hair clip and gathered whatever bits of hair he could that obscured his vision and set the clip to hold it in place. As he walked back out to check on his mother, Viaryn could see that she had finally finished patching up the half-kiju and gave him a reassuring look as she passed by him to put away her supplies. The young boy turned his head at the sound of knocking at the front door. "Must be our guests," he thought as he move towards it and cracked it slightly to check if it were true. Peering outside, Viaryn spotted the familiar face of Ashfa and smiled brightly as he opened the door wider, "Hey, glad you made it! You didn't get lost did you?" Stepping aside to allow her space to walk in, Viaryn looked around and turned back to Ashfa, "Didn't you have a friend with you?"
Ashfa shook her head and gave the boy a shy smile. "Oh… no, not at all, your directions were very clear…" She looked back across the street to where her friend was standing. "Uhm… that's Ylva… she's…" The girl lowered her voice. "She can be cautious."
Across the street Ylva raised an eyebrow as the pair looked at her from the doorway of the little house before looking up and down the street watching or anyone coming towards them.​
Viaryn's eyes widened slightly as he slowly nodded his head, acknowledging her response. "Ah. Well, our friend is in the living room. Please, make yourself at home while I help my mom finish setting the table." He looked to Ylva and then back to Ashfa as he returned to his mother's set in order to help set the table. His mother looked to him as he returned and pulled a stack of bowls down from a cupboard. She handed him a group of spoons and began to pour out drinks to serve her guests in the meanwhile. Placing them on a tray, she proceeded into the living room and set the cups down in front of each person, "Here you all go. Dinner will be ready soon." She smiled and left the room, leaving them to enjoy their beverages.​
Ashfa had entered the house hesitantly, as was her habit, but she did smile shyly at Viaryn's mother, liking the way the woman had offered them not just something to drink but dinner as well. After the day they'd have, she was tired and hungry. This sort of setting wasn't normal at all for the young woman, but it was certainly pleasant.​
"Thank you so much," she called out softly."
"Yes, thank you." Ylva's eyes never left the strange figure on the opposite side of the room. Cold eyes relentlessly bored into the strange creature. They hadn't broken contact with it since she had walked into the room. She had followed her friend into the house after having second thoughts about the situation. This thing was probably the most dangerous being in the city and if there was anything to watch this creature was it. Ash seemed to trust this thing and for that reason and that reason alone Ylva's father sword still sat in its scabbard. Even so, Ylva watched it like a hawk, just waiting for it to do anything more provocative than breathe.​
The young Valekian walked into the living area to inform his guests that dinner was ready, but halted as he felt a slight tension fill the air. Ylva, Ashfa's friend, maintained a vigilant gaze on the half-kiju as if he were a threat. Granted, her assumption was reasonable since they lacked information about him. He cleared his throat in order to capture their attention, "Uh-Pardon me, but dinner is ready, so if you all wouldn't mind taking a seat at the table." Viaryn's eyes darted from each person, waiting a moment for any signs of movement before rejoining his mother in the kitchen to help serve. The table was set with a simple decor consisting of a faded cream colored tablecloth sporting a floral pattern, small cups, cutlery and small bowls were laid out on top by each chair. Viaryn and his mother carefully placed the large pot on top of a platter resting in the middle of the table. The aroma of meat and vegetables began to fill the room, drifting underneath the noses of all present.​
The mother and son both smiled and began to serve their guests. "It's been a while since we've had this many visitors! Especially young ladies such as yourselves! He's always busy with something, be it work or just engrossed in those books." She chuckles, ladling soup into both of their bowls and then into the bowl of their other guest. "But I can't complain can I? He's done so much to support the two of us this past year. I'm just happy that despite everything, he can still manage to live like other his age."
"Here, let me get that," Viaryn extends his hand, grabbing his mother's chair and pulling it out for her. "I'm only lucky enough to have gotten jobs that I like. It's mostly thanks to them that I can even manage to support the both of us," he's explains, looking around before serving their soup, "Is this enough?" Nodding, his mother clears her throat, "Well then, I hope you all enjoy the food." Taking a seat himself, Viaryn agrees and begins to eat.

@CrispyDonut @Giltine13 @Greenie

• Bucket of Rainbows

Ashfa had made her the table quickly when she was asked to, finding it very different than what she had become used to- normally food was eaten around a campfire, or if they were lucky, at a wooden table at a tavern or inn that hopefully didn't have splinters waiting to assault unsuspecting hands. The table spread looked lovely as well, and it was hard not to have her mouth fill up with saliva and the scent of the food.

"It tastes delicious," she said softly, looking away from her food to smile at Viaryn and his mother before she continued to eat. Even as she did, she was furtively looking up to glance at her table companions, wondering what was going through each and everybody's mind. Her eyes paused on the half kiju, wishing there was some way to make communication a little easier. The little she knew of his language was not enough to clearly send ideas back and forth. Perhaps it was better to stick to what she knew best instead of botching what little she knew? It seemed he knew a little Diquet at least.

"Uhm..." she started. She really wasn't good at this sort of thing, but it seemed now was the time to forgo her hesitation and shyness so that they could figure out what needed to be done. Well, the start seemed obvious enough. "I... I'm Ashfa..." She managed a small smile before attempting what she hoped was an encouraging look in the half kiju's direction. "What's... your name?"

@Giltine13

• Sweet
Reactions: Giltine13

Still satisfied from her impromptu meal earlier in the day, Ylva was the last to the table. Following leisurely behind the other, she slid her sword under the remaining empty chair for the sake of politeness before sitting down. She wasn't worried about not being able to reach her blade should the need arise. All of her knives were in easy reach and more importantly, the way the beast ate made Ylva doubt it would be trouble.

For her part, Ylva ate slowly. She tried to convey the impression that she was enjoying the meal half as much as the beast. Behind the mask though her mind was turning. How were they going to get this thing through and out of the city. Every idea the entered her mind had some fatal flaw. Some way that the plot could come easily and dangerously unravelled. Under other circumstances she would take her chances, but today the stakes were higher. This mysterious creature meant there was no room for error and worse yet Ashfa was wrapped up in this.

Glancing around the table momentarily, Ylva caught her friends gaze for a second and raised a questioning eyebrow. She knew that getting this thing out of the city was what her friend wanted to do, but she still couldn't understand why. It was a times like this that Ylva suspected her friend understood a lot more about her, that she did about Ash. And that made the Autem feel rather guilty and all the more determined to help Ash get what she wanted. To this end, through narrowed eyes, Ylva added a second question to the one her friend asked of the creature.

"And why were you on that boat?"
[​

Viaryn

The overall mood of the current situation wasn't exactly as light-hearted as it could be, but it was doable. Viaryn lifted his spoon to his lips, blowing on the hot soup before consuming the assorted vegetables and meats. His eyes scanned around the table, noting that Ashfa's companion, Ylva was the last on to sit. Ashfa was enjoying her meal, smiling to both the Valekian and his mother. Though it had seemed that their furry friend was enjoying his even more. Instead of touching his spoon, he opted to carefully bring the bowl to his lips for a small taste before guzzling the whole meal down. A chuckle escaped his mother's lips as she took her time eating, "Why thank you! I'm happy to see that you all like it. Especially you." Her head nodding towards their furry guest, who if left alone would probably lick the entirety of the bowl clean. She set her spoon down and reached for the ladle resting at the side of the pot, making motions towards him for his bowl, "More?"

Viaryn continued to eat his dinner, watching Ashfa as he attempted to communicate with the half-kiju. From what he could tell, it seemed that Ashfa knew some of his language, though not enough for fluent conversation. What Viaryn could tell was that their new friend could somewhat speak Diquet, however, he was also not very fluent at it. The Valekian furrowed his brows and tried to rattle his brain for any solutions for their current predicament. While he couldn't identify the language itself, there were probably some book left by his dad that might, but the boy decided to see how this played out. Perhaps after dinner he would take a stab at figuring out the foreign langauge that the half-kiju used. Getting a better look at him in the light, their new companion was quite large indeed and could pass for an adult human at best. His appearance was quite unlike anything the Valekian had seen before and his interest was thoroughly piqued. There were definitely questions that he would love to ask once they managed to solve the language barrier problem.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie and Applo

As the strange creature dipped its snout back into the bowl, Ylva rolled her eyes. Nothing about this was going to be easy. This creature had to be the most attention grabbing thing in the whole city and they could barely communicate with it. No, it was worse than that. One of the them could barely communicate with it. How in the hells was this going to work?

"Keep trying Ash. We need to know what we're up against." Picking up her spoon, Ylva stared into the stew in the bowl in front of her hoping an answered would appear in the swirling lumps of vegetables and meat. None was forthcoming and now the autem's mind switched over to another problem. Ylva didn't want to risk moving Zonran until there was a solid plan of how to do so, but how long could he stay here in this families house? If what she had seen in the streets earlier was to be believed there were plenty of people hunting this creature. How long would it be before they started going door to door asking questions and putting up posters? All it would take would be one neighbor, one street kid to have seen something they shouldn't and they would have guards kicking down the door.

Looking up from her food and at the mother and son, Ylva felt a slight pang of guilt at the possibility of that outcome. Viaryn and his mother didn't look like the type of people who had to deal with being on the wrong side of the law. They had a life here. If this went wrong, well, she and Ash could leave town and never come back easily enough. What would her hosts do then?

With all these questions swirling around in her mind, Ylva didn't notice she had started tapping the heel of her right foot until a sudden and painful spasm in her leg caused her to grip the edge of the table. Despite the eye watering pain, Ylva was grateful for the cramp. It stilled her mind and helped her to focus. Waving off any concern from the parties around the table she sat up and twisted to face Viaryn and his mother.

"What are your neighbors like around here? Do they keep to themselves or…?" The question faded off into nothingness as Ylva tried to work out a diplomatic way to ask if this was a neighborhood of snitches and curtain twitchers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Giltine13
Status
Not open for further replies.