Yanaike's Bottomless Plothole! (Adventure)

Yanaike

Edgenoble
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Low-Fantasy, Modern, Adventure, Quests, Modern-Fantasy, Post-apocalyptic, Romance, Drama
*…lights a candle*

Uhm… Hey, hello there! It seems you’ve fallen into my bottomless plothole! Now you’re trapped here! You only have two options to escape. First of all, you could start an epic adventure with me in a quest to escape this pit! Either that, or you could just click away and go somewhere else (but where’s the fun about that).

Either way, you can call me Yanaike (which, coincidentally, is also the name of my favourite RP-character). I’m 26 years old, and a full-time employee. As a way to fill my free time, I’m looking for roleplay partners! I’m open for both long-term roleplays: worldbuilding, brainstorming, plotting and an epic adventure; as well as short-term roleplays: quick hook-ups between our characters to see if and how they get along.

I’m looking for an adventure-themed story with supernatural elements: characters that are discovering new places, meeting interesting side-characters, unexplainable things happening, all that kind of stuff! In the tabs below I’ve listed in more detail what I’m looking for, as well as some ideas to help us get started. Most of it is a mere guideline. Nothing is set on stone!

If you have any questions please reply below. If you like what you saw and want to start brainstorming with me, please shoot me a PM! If you do so, please include at least one of my characters you enjoyed and/or at least one interest you shared.

• I’m quite picky when it comes to roleplay partners. I prefer to be honest to you and tell you if I feel things won't work out between us, rather than one of us being disappointed later.
    • Please make sure you always give me something to respond to! During brainstorming I expect you to tell me what you like and dislike and ask questions about setting, characters, plot etc. In the RP, make sure that enough happens in your post to drive the story forward. I will of course gladly do the same.
    • Communication is a key aspect of roleplaying. Tell me when something is bothering you and you want to change the direction of the RP. Also tell me if you don’t feel like roleplaying anymore. Please be honest with me, and of course I’ll do so too.
    • I’ll give you about 2 posts a week and I expect you to do the same. If you give me less than 1 post a week, I might lose interest. If something pops up in real life which makes you unable to respond that’s of course fine, but please inform me beforehand!
    • Posting length is irrelevant to me. At least give me something to respond to. If you need to write a full novel to do so, be my guest. If you can do this in one line, go ahead! My posts tend to be anywhere between 5-50 lines with an average of about 10 lines per post.
    • I would consider myself an intermediate roleplayer, according to Iwaku’s posting expectation levels.
    • I’m open for plot-driven smut as long as Iwaku-rules apply and only with a select few of my characters. Please tell me beforehand if you want this to be an option.
    • I don’t double characters, except for my characters Symmin and Simone as two alternate universe versions of the same character with some level of shared consciousness.
    • I don’t do fandoms except for Pokémon and only using my OCs Esmylia or Jenny.
    • English is not my native language. My grammar is pretty good and since I use a spelling checker I won’t make a lot of spelling mistakes. But sometimes I feel like I suffer from a lack of vocabulary to tell exactly what I want to say. Please be respectful and I’m always open for suggestions to improve my English.
  • Here is a list of some of my pre-made characters. All of my characters are quite flexible and can be adjusted for multiple settings and/or time periods. They can come with/without a variety of skills and/or with magic skills, depending on what fits in the RP and depending on your character’s strength. I have more pre-made characters than the ones listed below so if you’re looking for someone a bit different, please tell me, and I might have another character! I can also make new characters or make a previously used side character into a main character

Yanaike
    A nomadic adventurer driven by curiosity and a thirst for knowledge. She is no concept of money or possessions. She is a skilled thief able to snatch her daily needs unnoticed from under people’s noses. Her most remarkable feature is a long monkey-like tail.
    Settings:
    medieval; modern; steampunk; fantasy; no man’s land; forest; metropolis; mountains; roadtrip
    Romance: straight; hard to build a romantic relationship with her.
    Strengths: intelligence, stealth, endurance, swift, agile, problem/puzzle-solving
    Weaknesses: no physical strength, bit naïve, easily distracted, fear of commitment

Esmylia
    An attractive ambitious fighter who is always looking for new challenges. She is very spontaneous and so full of surprises that people might even call her mad. Under certain conditions a werewolf-like transformation will trigger, temporary altering her personality, appearance and skills.
    Settings:
    modern; 1980s; post-apocalypse; dystopian; sci-fi; fantasy; metropolis; desert; at a club
    Romance: bi-sexual; very easy to build a romantic relationship with her.
    Strengths: willpower, charisma, physical strength, dexterity, motivating other people
    Weaknesses: control-issues, lack of intelligence, tendency to overdo things, weak defensively, reliance on lenses/glasses for eyesight.

Hannah
    A demon-possessed manipulative and selfish feminist who sees the world around her as a strategic game. She is always trying to frame other people for her won crimes. She adores children as they are still ‘pure’ and easy to ‘change’.
    Settings:
    modern; 1980s; dystopian; medieval; fantasy; prehistoric; village; school; among pirates; campsite; ice caves
    Romance: bisexual; hard to build a romantic relationship with her.
    Strengths: leadership, charisma, long-term planner, wisdom, manipulation, networking
    Weaknesses: aging, addiction to chocolate, weak without followers

Symmin
    A mysterious boy with amnesiac-problems. He is often troubled with visions from the past and future and is unable to place them in any context. He might seem a bit alienate and lonely but he values friendship deeply.
    Settings:
    modern; 1980s; dystopian; sci-fi; time-traveling; alternate universes; harbour; at sea/in a boat; island
    Romance: straight; easy to build a romantic relationship with him.
    Strengths: intelligence, wisdom, helpfulness, eye for details, creativity, strategist
    Weaknesses: loneliness, socially awkward, physically weak, amnesia

Simone
    An emotionally unstable girl who escaped from a mental facility. She has psychic powers that are affected by her mood. She seems fragile and weak but uses this to her advantage, tricking people into protecting her, but actually being the most dangerous herself.
    Settings:
    dystopian; sci-fi; modern; fantasy; post-apocalypse; time-traveling; alternate universes; lakeside; facility
    Romance: straight; easy to build a romantic relationship with her.
    Strengths: psychic powers, wisdom, creativity, strategist, ability to trick people
    Weaknesses: not fully in control of her powers, weak defensively, loneliness, emotionally unstable

Jenny Jigsaw
    A wasted female being tainted by ‘modern society’. During an adventure, she became trapped in a country without the right documents or money to return home. Now she works as a dishwasher at a restaurant, is addicted to arcade-games and loves using her self-made gadgets to torture people as an act of revenge and boredom.
    Settings:
    modern; 1980s; dystopian; metropolis; time-traveling; alternate universes; in a videogame
    Romance: straight; but believes to be asexual; hard to build a romantic relationship with her.
    Strengths: smart, stealth, agile, swift, often underestimated/overlooked
    Weaknesses: depression, addicted to arcade-games, easily bored/unchallenged

Peyck
    An incredibly tanky warrior with a big mouth who is able to dish out heavy hits too. Legend goes he is able to stop projectiles with his bare hands. Those close to him will describe him as a more introvert person with some personal struggles. He also values traditions highly and he has a big heart.
    Settings:
    modern; 19th century; dystopian; city; on-the-go; no man’s land; wasteland; tundra
    Romance: homosexual, but hasn’t come out of the closet yet so a relationship with a female might be interesting as well, hard to build a romantic relationship with him.
    Strengths: very strong both offensively and defensively, endurance, protecting others, knows a lot of random people, cooking, gardening
    Weaknesses: very slow, not very strong mentally, doesn’t adapt well to new circumstances, stubborn

• I prefer to create a story together instead of sticking with a pre-defined plot. Though, below I’ve listed a couple of my interests which we can use as a starting point for our RP. These are not plots and are kept intentionally vague to be able to add new things, twists etc.

Settings

• A huge metropolis could be interesting. There are almost endless possibilities with this one. Let's leave the crowded places and discover the hidden alleys, secret parks and gardens of the city. A flight of stairs that no-one seems to notice, a hidden floor in a public building and what happens at the roof of buildings? Maybe the plot could involve an influential malicious company, or the plot could delve into the hidden tunnels underneath the subway system? Magic and an urban environment are rarely combined and that is quite a shame in my opinion.
    • I would love to try out a wonderland like landscape, with oversized mushrooms, gardens full of roses, a beautiful castle and all kinds of weird and disturbing side characters. We could draw inspiration from Alice in Wonderland or from the lesser-known anime Spirted Away, but of course we could also make up our own rules.
    • I’ve always wanted to do a travelling circus or fun fair. Characters living in caravans and carts, travelling around from place to place. Maybe the characters in the story could have some unique traits/personalities.
    • I’m always in for quests. Characters venturing through the woodlands or through the mountains or a more uncommon setting like a skyland-cloud-landscape with floating island and flying boats. Or perhaps an exotic desert or artic like setting. The goal of the quest could be to retrieve some kind of valuable artefact. Or maybe the goal is to seek out the help of an almighty magician.
    • An uninhabited island. How our characters got there is up for debate, it could be the cliché plane crash or shipwreck. What our characters are going to do is also up for debate, but I would love a story revolving around survival combined with mystery. We could make our characters discover the secret side of the island. Maybe the island isn’t actually uninhabited at all? We could draw inspiration from the television series Lost, but could also think of our own ideas.
    • A couple of my characters would work really well in a club or pub like setting. We could discover the party scene and delve deeper into nightlife. This could also prove an interesting starting point for a story leaning more towards the horror-genre. Similarly something like an inn or bar might also work and it could also be an interesting starting point for a quest. If you’re up for something more exotic, consider a tropical beach club or a (ski) lodge deep into the mountains.
    • An idea I’ve been having very long is that our characters would live or meet in a dream. One of our characters might be an imaginary friend. And the dream world itself could also have a variety of things: is it like a completely random world where anything is possible or is it more of a copy of the real world?
    • The story could involve a facility. Abandoned or not? Maybe it functions as a prison? Think like the setting in the Portal games. Huge industrial rooms where items are fabricated and/or small chambers where subjects are tested.
    • I’ve been craving to do a roleplay where our characters are trapped in a digital environment, for example trapped in a computer game. Or maybe only one of our characters is trapped there, and the other one is helping him/her escape? Are they able to break free?
    • Once each month, at a specified time a train will stop at the local station. A train that’s absent in the schedules, is unadvertised in anyway and seems to have no passengers. Will our characters board this train? And where will this ghost train go?
    • One day our characters get an invitation, specifying nothing but a set of coordinates and a time. Will our characters give up their daily lives just to see what will happen there at that time? Will they even make it in time?
    • Our characters are trapped in a labyrinth like environment. Why and how they got there is up for discussion. Can they find a way out of the maze and what will they find at the exit?
    • Some sort of haunted house, abandoned amusement park or any other Halloween-like landscape. The feeling that something is just a little odd, but you can’t quite put your finger on what it is. Maybe even something Frankenstein-inspired.
    • Some setting based on the Nordic countries with a colder climate, days where the sun never sets, or never rises, the Nordic lights and just entire areas without any population.
    • A RP based around survival could definitely be fun. Limited resources and our characters are managing the resources and trying to stay alive. I think you get the idea!
    • A story based on time travelling or alternate universes could be interesting. One idea I’m having a while now is about two alternate universe versions of the same character who have some kind of shared consciousness or some other kind of link, for example experiencing each other’s lives in their dreams or being able to bring objects from the one alternate universe to the other.
    • I absolutely love worldbuilding, throw your ideas to me and we’ll see what we can come up with.

Characters/Relations
    • What I’m craving to do for some time is to create a good vs evil dynamic between our characters, where a protagonist and an antagonist meet and need to team-up to reach some sort of common goal or defeating a common thread. Elaborating on that I would love to see two characters with different motives, forced to work together.
    • I would love to do something with a family-like relationship. To prevent the issue that our characters have shared history together and needing to be consistent, I would prefer to go with two long-lost family members. They could be as simple as brother and sister, or two sisters etc. but also a father with daughter relationship might be interesting. Our characters do not necessarily have to share the same bloodline, it’s about the family-like bond that counts.
    • I would absolutely love to delve deeper into the superhero genre with vigilantes as main characters and having supernatural abilities. Maybe they have some sort of double identity and struggle between (the problems of) their regular lives and (the problems of) their lives as adventurers/hero’s.
    • For a while I’m craving a roleplay based on manipulation, hypnotism or brainwashing. Something with a strong dominant and charismatic character being able to trick the other characters mind, slowly setting him/her up against his/her old friends, making him/her commit crimes against his/her will and giving him/her the feeling that she is completely dependent on the leader. Another option is to go with some sort of institute/school that manipulates both of our characters. Elaborating on this we could also go with a roleplay based around a dictatorial regime.
    • I would love to do a relationship or story based on random encounters. Two characters that just keep being pushed together by faith, in the most seemingly random moments.
    • Creating a contrast against the modern ‘spoiled’ society. With spoiled society I mean people whose lives became too much dependent on the internet, modern technologies, consumption (using things once and then throwing them away), getting likes on social media, being ‘popular’ and yet so alone and so addicted.
    • I would love to have a story where our characters or one of our characters undergoes some sort of metamorphosis or evolves in some way. In any case, character development is a very important aspect for me during roleplaying.

Last edited:
Alright, I've been baited. Reel me in, I'm interested.

I'll pm you some ideas and thoughts on which characters would fit a little later, but I'm definitely down to start brainstorming.

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still looking for one or two more partners! :)

I’d be interested in playing with either Yanaike or Esmylia.

I am still looking for fellow adventurers! :)

I'm still looking! :)

Still looking for one or two adventurers! :D

I'm still looking for one or two more partners!

Still looking! Also edited a few things. More updates are coming!