ya ya roleplay time ya ya

M

moocow

Original poster
Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of little civilizations. Inspired by Epic, the Borrowers, Final Fantasy, and that Roald Dahl book about those small people living in the trees. Feel free to shoot ideas: the plot isn't set in stone this is just what I thought up at the moment. I figured since this didn't get much interest in the group section I'd have better luck looking for a single partner. I basically don't have any limits but if you want to do any 18+ scenarios you have to be a redstar. You don't need to tell me if you want to ditch. If you don't respond by a month I'll just assume you dropped it. But you can also come back if you want by replying on the thread or PMing me. I don't have word limits. Anyway, information for the RP I was wanting to do below! If you have any questions just ask.

Here's some background I thought up:

The land of Beliad! The gods fertilized the earth with creations of their vision and through their guidance, the many tribes lived an everlasting peace. In those days, fruit would never spoil nor the leaves know to wither. The endless summer brought with it an aura of tranquility to Beliad. But the gods were not without their enemies and as powerful as they were, their eternal adversaries had spent the long years practising a new magic, one that would bring the mortal understanding to the inhabitants of Beliad. The long winter had begun and with it, chaos. As the gods wrestled with this newfound darkness, the people splintered and knew war--they began to split the land amongst themselves.

Many generations passed and with them, their mighty dominions. Now Beliad is predominantly split into two great states: the High Kingdom of Yaren and the last vestiges of the late Akaran Empire. Though many minor realms remain throughout the land, both nations seek to absorb them into their respective territories. You are a citizen of the High Kingdom of Yaren. More specifically, you have been hired to be part of an expedition to research a troubling new rumour… news of the Akarans making a pact with giants from across the sea to regain their glory. The King of Yaren has sent this group to scout out the Principality of Cairn--recently sacked by the Akaran Empire.

The people of Beliad have long been familiar with the forest. They make use of what materials they can find--shaping bows with twigs and plant fibers, boats with bark and leaves, and clothes with furs, reeds, and spider-silks. They rely on creatures for both manual labour and transportation. Dragonflies are common steeds for the air, while large beetles are preferred for land. Fish are hard to tame and harder to ride but turtles have been known to be used as great wartime battleships. Braver warriors may try to tame wilder animals--the founder of the Akaran Empire was known to terrorize his/her neighbours atop an eagle.

My character:

Mawgi wears a simple long tunic made of woven plant fiber and bay leaf. Her traveling cloak is made of moleskin, her feet protected by woven reed sandals, and she carries a long spear made of sparrow bone. Her steed, a steel-blue coloured dragonfly, is named Jee. Her skin is the colour of the soil; her hair borrows the hues of freshly sprouted clovers.

More small thoughts:

I'm not sure on the existence of larger animals. I guess if there were any, they would be viewed in an almost god-like way. Worshipped. Their carcasses would be a blessed scavenge. Their fur, meat, and bones reserved for various religious rituals. Or reserved for elite soldiers? Deer skin would be a lot tougher than oak leaves for armour.

Coinage made from stone? Amethyst? What other shiny rocks lie in the ground? Or maybe this economy functions on trade and not coinage at all... but with the presence of kingdoms and empires I think they'd have coinage. Maybe shaped from wood and polished.

Food... lots of plant material. Berries. A single apple could feed like a village. Bug meat like crickets. Although I've kept crickets before and they don't have a lot of solid meat. Mostly just guts... but maybe it gets solid like crab meat when it cooks? Actual meat like from mice or moles would be prized food. You could make mini loaves of bread from seeds maybe. Would we have fire though, as small as we are? Maybe little embers or a big communal kitchen? Or maybe we live mostly on cold food? Obviously morning dew for drink. Sap for stronger drink.

Shelter could depend on the kingdom you're from. I can imagine a lot of different cultures having different houses. Like some tree colonies aping the way ants make leaf homes. Using spider silk to tie leaves together. Or tunneling into the wood itself like termites... or chasing moles out of their little dirt caves for our own usage. Some could be nomadic even. Herding aphids or moving on with whatever else they rely on for sustenance. Maybe just migrating with the fish or something.

Clothes from whatever you can cobble together from the forest. Lots of plant material here. Fur is good too but maybe some furs would be reserved for royalty or religious figures or gendered or aged. For example, bear fur (if large animals exist) could be reserved for shamans, kings, or elite religious guards. Or special cicada shells for the rich as some species only come out once ever twelve years. A lot of people would learn to fashion their own gear I'd imagine since materials are so plentiful. Maybe that would make occupations like tailors non-existent? Or just highly specialized: they would only work with materials not available to the public or hard to shape like big animal furs.

Weapons from bones! Lots and lots of bones. Maybe arrows made from bird bones since they're hollow. Or just pine needles. Or rose thorns or little pieces of spiky chitin. Clubs made from little sticks with small pebbles. I was picturing a lot of animal warfare as well. Perhaps kingdoms have certain ant herders in their repertoire. Ant herders that will sick huge colonies of warrior ants to tear apart their enemies. Or wasp herders or sending mice in to raid villages. Lots of sticks and rocks and bones too though I guess. I'm not sure what else can be used as weapons. I don't think there would be any metal use. I actually have something in mind for metal and how the Akarans are being outfitted in never before seen materials.

I'm picturing a pantheon for religion. Maybe the state religion would be centralized around one figure? Like how the Romans worshipped mostly Jupiter? I'm also thinking of a lot of hero-cults spread out in the different realms. And how different cities worshipped different gods in ancient Greece. Basically a lot of variety. For the Akaran Empire though, I was thinking of a sort of ancestor-worship primarily around their founder, Akara. Of course they would mix some elements of the Gods with him/her, like perhaps claiming Akara was descended from God A or B or something like that.

edit: oh yeah the most important part about the setting! the forest. I was thinking since this is a fantasy and I don't want to inhibit anyone from materials they want to use if they aren't in a specific type of forest... maybe just a magical blend of pinetrees and rainforest and grapevines and everything? there would still be seasons. and heavy rain and snow even though it would be a rainforest blend.