1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
It was normal for the BeneTech to have protestors outside of their buildings. The company was a leader in both genetics and pharmaceuticals, and so they were used to having all manners of protests performed, usually up to four a week. But today's protest was unlike any other. Despite the sweltering new York summer heat, entire city blocks were blocked off to keep the people that filled them safe from any drivers. Thousands of people stood in front of and across the BeneTech Research and Development building, screaming anti-mutant propaganda or pro-mutant sentiments at the opposing sides as they waved their signs and banners around. It seemed like at any second a confrontation would breakout and what was currently an emotion-fueled crowd would soon become a hate-filled and vindictive mob. And BeneTech wouldn't have it any other way.

The last 10 years had been harsh on humanity. Between the mutant terrorist attacks or the occasional X-gene activation gone wrong, people had enough, and they wanted a solution. While many companies sought to appease both sides in some shape or form, BeneTech was one of the few who saw a chance to make a real profit, and what could be more profitable than safety and stability? The cure had been ready for a few months now, but tensions weren't high enough then. The people didn't want a mutant cure the way they did now. But after the event in Reno? People were ready. Bailey Hoskins, a fourteen-year-old boy found himself in conflict with his bullies. The stress led to the activation of his X-gene, causing him to detonate, killing himself and twenty-thousand others. The resulting outcry was like a flare, signaling to BeneTech that it was time to roll out their product.

Standing atop the BeneTech stage were several reporters and their cameramen, each performing their own segments, all talking about the same things. The crowd. The cure. Dr. Kavita Rao. Mutant Terrorists. It might as well have been one broadcast altogether. But everyone wanted the scoop, everyone wanted to be there, and BeneTech needed that. Especially the world’s biggest news network for Mutant ongoings.

"I'm Kate Hemmingway with RVN news speaking to you live from the BeneTech Research and Development building here in New york. We are just minutes away from a huge public announcement on what we believe BeneTech's leading scientist, Dr. Kavita Rao, will be making about their long-rumored Mutant Cure." The Reporter did her best to block out the chanting protestors and the screaming crowd, focusing only on the camera in front of her. "As you can see tensions are high between both anti-mutant factions and mutant sympathizers. Many mutants have gathered here as well, most likely hopefuls for the cure." The camera panned over the crowd, making sure to capture the messages on the banners as it did.

"Interestingly enough, the face of anti-mutant sentiments is not present at this announcement", Kate continued to speak as the camera returned to her face, " Reverend and televangelist William Stryker has chosen not to attend the announcement, calling it a "waste of time" and an attempt to "hide the wolf in sheep's clothing". Obviously, many here seem to agree with the reverend, but only time will tell how this cure will impact the country and the world over." It was no secret that the Veteran turned holy man despised mutants, often referring to them as machinations of the devil. It wouldn't be unfair to call him the face of the Anti-Mutant Movement, a movement that he wholeheartedly endorses.

"That's everything for now. We'll return when Dr. Rao makes her appearance and begins her speech." Kate gave a small nod to the Cameraman and, after a few seconds, was given the signal that they were off the air. "God I wanna go home." She groaned immediately. "It's too loud, and to be honest, I'm a little scared. This whole event seems like it'll just get blown up by whatever Mutant terrorists have the balls to show up."

"You're right about that." The Cameraman responded, chuckling dryly. "Who knows, maybe Magneto and is Brotherhood will show up too." The statement was met with a look of disgust from his coworker, and he only shrugged in response. "It's a possibility. You should never count anything out of the picture."

"Let's hope that never happens." Kate scoffed. "Any other group? I'd probably have a chance to getaway. But the Mutant Brotherhood? I'm sure I'm as good as dead. Probably all of us here." Just the idea of Magneto showing up sent chills down her spine. Sure the treaty between the world and Genosha was in place, but it was fragile at best, and Erik Lensherr was very quick to anger. This might be all that he needed, the only thing that he needed to push him over the edge and break it.

"Yeah. Hope." The Cameraman responded curtly. He shook his head and turned the crowd, his eyes pouring over the people with the faintest trace of a scowl on his face. "I guess hope is all any of us got."

@Aero Blue @CrystalTears @MaryGold @Jays @Luxii @DayDreamer

First post is up! Sorry it took so long, but it's more casual and slowgoing than an actual group RP would be anyway :D hopefully it's enough to get the ball rolling! If assistance is required, feel free to ask!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: MaryGold and Jays
Unknown
Alexandra Wilde
Scared and annoyed

It was loud, it was hostile and she was in the wrong side of the warcamps. Her parents had dragged her all the way to the big announcement as if hoping that as soon as a cure was confirmed, they could shove it down her throat on the spot. She didn't like that and she didn't like the way people who were actually supporting the right of mutants to be themsleves looked at her and her parents. The slurrs some of them throwed her way. If only they knew.

Alex stuffed her hands in the front pocket of her hoodie and her head sank a little in her shoulders as she gripped tightly her lightsaber to feel safer. She knew that if things escalated, her Sith would come out and then there would be a bloodbath, her parents being the first to fall under her red blade. She looked around, trying to pass the time as they waited for the big announcement and hoped that nobody would be stupid enough to throw the first stone.

--------------------------------
OOC: Whoooo! First to reply here! Come on you slowpokes!

• Erin was up early that morning. Maybe he was just excited to go outside, or yet another one of his impulsive early morning flights. It was probably the best part of having wings, the fact that he could completely avoid any and all traffic. He didn’t get all the “politics” surrounding “mutants” like himself, but he knew enough to where some people didn’t like them while others really did. The eighteen year old had learned enough to try and hide his wings when walking and keep his shining halo in his backpack. That stupid ring was why he didn’t go to the cinemas. Erin had attempted once, but it lit up the entire time and it honestly looked like he had a flashlight perpetually turned on in there.

“Oh, I remember!” Erin told himself as something snapped in his head and he opened the window. He was meant to meet Jianyu before the beautiful blue eagle would help him shopping for some clothes that would make his wings be more comfortable. “Mom! Dad! I’m going out!” He loudly called out before putting his backpack on and jumping out the second floor window to fly out and towards Jianyu’s home.

Unfortunately, Erin wasn’t the fastest flyer and his wings weren’t all that much to brag about. Jianyu’s wings were almost the size of his body! If not even bigger! But they did the job, they just wouldn’t let Erin be there in time.

“Jianyu bro!” It was a nickname that Erin had given the bigger bird very early on. They felt like they were siblings. Even if the brunette was far more human than the older, it was still Jianyu that taught him everything he currently knew about flying. It was also really nice to have the blue eagle fly him about when Erin’s wings were getting tired! Thankfully, the window was open, and it was plenty of space for Erin to fly in, so he reeled a bit back before diving inside. “Jiaaaaaanyuuuuuuuuu~!” He mused as he dove through the window. It was undoubtedly a thought that should have hit him earlier, but Erin was not much for a lander. And this time was no different.

With his current speed, Erin has no time to stop before he crashed into one of the walls. It looked like a bird versus a window, and he fell off the wooden barrier in the exact same manner, sliding down until his head hits the floor first and his legs are still propped up on the wall. Even though he was upside-down and a little hurt from the harsh landing, but he smiled nonetheless and waved at Jianyu. “I’m here!”
  • There were times where Jessie knew better than to step outside her door. This day was one of those days, but of course, here she was in the middle of the busy street that was doing wonders on giving her poor head a massive headache. One would think being able to keep all the sights away and her stupid powers at bay would make it better, but the world certainly knew how to deliver. That and making herself blind was doing herself any favors, but she never regretted it. Who knew what her powers could do if they were just left to their own devices?
    Maybe that is why she decided to go out on this horrendously busy day, because everyone had heard of it. “The Cure”. Would it be true? Or was it yet another one of those fairytale stories? Make believe and all of that shenanigans. Everyone feared their powers, or maybe what was different. Naturally, people would want to get rid of it. Enter “The Cure” that was there to “save humanity” or whatever. Jessie was interested in it, but. . . would she take it? Even she didn’t know the answer.

Loudly she sighed to herself before taking a sip from her Starbucks coffee. People who see her blindfold know she cannot see, but they don’t understand it’s not a fashion-statement. It would be easier if she just bandaged them up, but this was better.

“Oh, sorry,” Jessie apologized as she bumped into someone. Honestly, if she wasn’t so god damned stubborn, she might have invested in one of those blind-walking sticks, but yeah. Stubborn.

“You blind?!”

“Yeah?” Jessie answered somewhat dumbfounded. “You think I can see through this thing?” She decided to add to her question. “I apologized. It’s not like I broke your arm, get over it,” sometimes it was better to keep her mouth shut but she wasn’t so good at that either.

“You wanna go?!” It was a man, but that was all Jessie could tell. That and whoever this guy was just knocked her coffee out of her hand. Great. “I’ll help you become properly blind girl!”

Oh boy.
  • There were so many humans in the street today! And they were all gathered around this huge flat building in the street! It looked so funny! Sparkly heterochromia eyes scout over the new scene that unfolded before the cat-human hybrid. Exploring the new was always fun! The only problem was how many humans were also here, did they also get curious? Her mama and papa has taught her better than to walk into a mass of humans and think it will go well, but they didn't teach her not to do so as a human! Apparently, humans didn't like those who didn't look like them. Lily wasn't good enough to make herself completely human, but that was okay. She didn't want to be human anyway, it was so much more fun to be a cat! Pleased with herself, the orange tabby shifted from its small shape to that of a human girl. Her clothes were ragged and dirty but she didn't care much for those. Humans didn't have fur like cats, and they couldn't run around without clothes. Lily never understood why but she got in trouble once and she doesn't want that again, so she stole something to wear.

Carelessly, she jumped off the tree branch and onto the ground, terrifying a couple that were doing some weird napping on a soft blanket under it. "Sorry!" She apologized with her hands together before she bounced off towards the loud sound and many humans. Her orange ears were perked on top of her head and rotating about like they were one of those funny cat toys that were in the glass box sometimes. Her tail was happily swishing left and right, sometimes hitting innocent bystanders in the face though she didn't care one bit as her eyes were fixated on the great staircase that was ahead. The only issue was how many humans had gathered. Lily wasn't the tallest so she couldn't see beyond the many human heads, and that was annoying. She attempted to mewl at them but it only earned her a few looks. Annoyed she hissed, but it didn't do much good either.

She took a deep breath and then enhanced her legs to allow herself to jump up high. Lily wasn't aiming for anything in particular when she jumped but a small balcony served perfectly for what she needed. Gracefully, the cat hybrid sat down on the rail and curled her tail around herself as she changed back into the long haired tabby cat. Eyes fixated on the huge thing underneath her that had blinking lights and a metal box on wheels nearby. All of the things she could tell her parents after today! Or maybe not, they might get mad at her for going when they told her not to. . .

OPHELIUM

Sunny Kwon sat in a cafe, sketching the churning crowd outside.

Outrage was not an easy emotion to capture in stills. So much about anger and resentment did not resign in the twisting of faces but the motion of the body. Still, she tried her best. It's not everyday that the sun's out on such a perfect canvas.

Are you gonna be done any time soon?

Shush.

Always so impatient. Wait your turn, she said.

The waitress slid her coffee down on the table, sloshing the liquid dangerously close to spilling because her eyes, like Sunny, were glued to the chaos outside. "Do you think they'll do it?" she asked.

"Hmm?" Sunny's sketcher never slowed.

"Fix them mutants."

"You know that it's wildly inappropriate to discuss controversial topics with clients, right?"

The waitress' lips turned up. "I'm adding salt to your order next time."

"Hush, and go get me one of those chef pastries."

"Celebrating today?"

"No, just feel like it."

Hey! You're literally eating into our cash this month!

I didn't say anything when you got that girl lunch, did I?

What was with him today? He was usually not this fussy. Is what they're saying on the news bothering you?

He didn't answer. The waitress had gone back behind her counter to text. Sunny was the only person in the whole place.

You know a black-and-white photographer's doing your two hours of work in one second, right?

Sunny's pencil stopped. She didn't like scrubbing; it left scars on the paper and smudges where she hadn't meant for them to be. But the faces of the crowd were faceless; their silent screaming on the page was too intelligible compared to the mob outside.

What if they can fix us? she asked.

There's nothing wrong with us to fix.

You know that's not true.

A clank on the table brought her attention up. The waitress smirked as she disappeared back into the kitchen. The cake was chocolate and lime, with blue whipped cream in a heart pattern. Sunny put her sketchbook aside, clapped her hands together, said thanks to the empty room, and picked up the fork.

Blink.

Daka Chavez sat in a cafe, looking down at a cake he didn't order, a sketch he didn't draw, and a coffee that was going cold.

Hey! What the hell? I have three more minutes!

She did. He hadn't done anything. He also didn't realize how deafening the protest outside had been.

It's getting shorter. Their switch.

The waitress came back smiling, blinked, did a double-take and stared. Daka smiled back. "She left in a hurry. Can I pack this to go?"

Without a word, the waitress took both the plate and the coffee, ripped the fork out of his hand with probably more force than was needed, and stormed back behind the counter.

She's mad that you didn't pay, he said.

You do it!

I don't want to.

You stingy bastard!

We don't have a fridge. It's not going to last seven hours.

Daka sighed, collecting the sketchbook and got up. He exited the cafe and bumped straight into someone.

The man who swung around was big. "You blind too?"

@CrystalTears

❅ ETHAN SHIMURA ❅

Perhaps standing outside with two crazy, loud, and opposing crowds while waiting for the announcement to recieve the cure was not a good idea. After all, if Ethan really wanted to feel liberated then he could simply wait another day to be cured of, not only his mutant genes, but his illnesses that came along with it. But, Ethan didn't want to wait another day to be free of his curse.

Ethan exhaled heavily and crossed his arms over his chest. When would this be over? He made sure to put on a breezy but large sweatshirt to hide as best as possible. He hated gathering attention, and he didn't gain any attention. Instead, he gained the crowd behind him shoving him. And they shoved and shoved until he bumped into another person.

It was a girl, highschool girl?

Whatever the case, Ethan quickly bowed his head, his mismatched colored eyes looking down at his barely tied shoelaces. "Sorry, I didn't see you there." His Japanese accent, though light, was still very much there and evident. His English had gotten better over the years at least. "These people are insane ..." He grumbled. Wasn't he one to talk though.

He refused to meet her eyes but then he spo9tted something in her hands ... was that? "Are you carrying a lightsaber?" His voice became just a little bit louder.

Unknown
Alexandra Wilde
Scared and annoyed

"Hey!" It was a surprised but not malicious sound. Someone had bumped into her. She couldn't blame them. Things seemed to be heating up and more people were pouring in the crowd infornt of the corporation building. The guy didn't have control over the crowd pushing them closer together but he had a funny way of showing his regret. It was almost anime like. She ought to know, she was a fan of those.

Unfortunately, the bump had been sudden and strong enough to push her hands, allowing her lightsaber to peek through her hoodie's pouch. And the weird guy had noticed. And had more or less announced it to the bystanders with how he raised his voice. "No! What do you care?" She practically hissed in defense and looked anxious towards her parents. Thankfully they had been more busy in conversing with some other people and yelling back a couple of insults when the pro-mutant camp had tossed some of its focus towards them.

Just as it had appeared, the lighsaber retreated further in her hoodie's pouch, hidden from the world once more, but Alexandra's anxiousness had grown and her eyes briefly flashed an angry yellow. Something that most people would dismiss as a trick of the light or something equally unimportant.

--------------------------------
OOC: Let chaos begin!

• Creepy
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
"Erin, how many times must I tell you? You must land feet first, legs extended from your body." Jianyu's voice was two parts scolding, one part instructional and one part worried. "You could injure your wings, or worse!" He had been standing near the window, waiting for Erin's arrival. He was worried, but not surprised by his friend's landing, and as funny as it was, he did his absolute best to keep a stern expression on his avian face, a task that was accomplished easily enough.

He walked over to Erin, gently picking up the boy and helping him to his feet before dusting him off. "It is good to see you, my friend. I was worried that you would be accosted by some troublemakers on the way here. I thought to fly to you, instead." He hadn't left his apartment due to the day's event. A thick tension permeated the city's air, so much so he swore he could feel it weighing down his feathers. He'd never say it aloud, but it almost scared him. So many people scared, angry or just looking to cause trouble because they knew they'd get away with it. If one of them were to stop Erin on his way over, he did not know if he would be seeing the boy now.

"The day is not over yet, either. I almost wonder if we should stay inside today, though I believe most people will be attending the press conference for that cure. I've seen the crowd on the television." He flicked his head towards the T.V. in the corner, the news channel displayed across its screen. "So...perhaps it won't be too bad, hm?"​

@CrystalTears