X-COM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I get this?

Tax returns.

Also 800 dollars on new PC parts.
I'd say so. Its a great game. I had to chose this or Street Fighter V, and I am glad I got this, since most my fighting game friends have moved away. :(

I currently got 47 hours on the game.
I keep aceing the early missions, but once I get 10 or so hours into it my men start getting wiped...

Also, the mods and ini options are amazing.
+2 Aliens per Pod +Enhanced Grenade Radius & Squad Size = Epic Explosions.

I currently made a small Iwaku roster of four people here consisting of @Hana @Sen @Yata @Kaga-kun
Though I'm always looking to expand the pool, so if more people want me to make them just ask.

Be warned you will be fighting alongside people such as Terry Crews, Ghandi, Bernie Sanders and a bunch of Firefly and Game of Thrones characters.

........Wait, what are we talking about?
XCOM 2, a turn based game that focuses on fighting Aliens.

One of it's big feature's is a "Character Pool" where you can make different people, have them show up in your game and then die fight aliens for you.

XCOM 2, a turn based game that focuses on fighting Aliens.

One of it's big feature's is a "Character Pool" where you can make different people, have them show up in your game and then die fight aliens for you.
Ah.

Speaking of which, you're the only one I couldn't ask about class preference yet.

Do you want to hit stuff with swords and shotguns, hit stuff with grenades and miniguns, hit stuff with snipers and pistols, heal and hack stuff with drones?

Clearly I'm horrible at this game because i play on easy and edited the files to make the "Avatar project" timer to go on forever and yet im still losing troops to dumb decisions made by me and still having a stressful time managing everything

Still fun though :x

Clearly I'm horrible at this game because i play on easy and edited the files to make the "Avatar project" timer to go on forever and yet im still losing troops to dumb decisions made by me and still having a stressful time managing everything
I still struggle on Normal Difficulty (never tried easy yet) but some tips I can think of.

1. Offence > Defense, because dead enemies can't hurt you.
2. Squad Size Upgrades are OP, work to getting at least one Captain ASAP so you can buy them.
3. Engineer's are your life blood. They're what let's your base be powerful.
4. Always keep back up soldiers, so if one of your main guys dies you have a fall back.
5. Always consider line of sight when moving your Soldiers. Then worst thing you can do is have your last action trigger a new Pod in a flanking position.
6. Grenadiers are your friends. And Vahlen's no longer your Scientist so don't be afraid to blow all the aliens up.
7. You don't actually need cover until an enemy pod spots you, because their first response will always be to run to cover instead of shoot. So you can afford to be in the open a little bit to get better positioning.
7a. Exception with Stealth. Due to an Ambush exploit the pre-release players used, Firaxis added a quick-fix for that specifically where if spotted in stealth (and flanked) they can get a free shot at you.
7b. You should also be cautious with this, because if your last action doing this exposes an enemy pod... Then your entire squad is now in the open.
8. Mobility is also your friend, that one extra tile to cover, or a flanking position, or an objective can be a life saver.
9. On terror missions don't bother running around rescuing citizens. You'll save more of them faster if you focus all your man power on killing the Aliens.

I still struggle on Normal Difficulty (never tried easy yet) but some tips I can think of.

1. Offence > Defense, because dead enemies can't hurt you.
2. Squad Size Upgrades are OP, work to getting at least one Captain ASAP so you can buy them.
3. Engineer's are your life blood. They're what let's your base be powerful.
4. Always keep back up soldiers, so if one of your main guys dies you have a fall back.
5. Always consider line of sight when moving your Soldiers. Then worst thing you can do is have your last action trigger a new Pod in a flanking position.
6. Grenadiers are your friends. And Vahlen's no longer your Scientist so don't be afraid to blow all the aliens up.
7. You don't actually need cover until an enemy pod spots you, because their first response will always be to run to cover instead of shoot. So you can afford to be in the open a little bit to get better positioning.
7a. Exception with Stealth. Due to an Ambush exploit the pre-release players used, Firaxis added a quick-fix for that specifically where if spotted in stealth (and flanked) they can get a free shot at you.
7b. You should also be cautious with this, because if your last action doing this exposes an enemy pod... Then your entire squad is now in the open.
8. Mobility is also your friend, that one extra tile to cover, or a flanking position, or an objective can be a life saver.
9. On terror missions don't bother running around rescuing citizens. You'll save more of them faster if you focus all your man power on killing the Aliens.
Interesting tips

1 - I always had a offensive mindset but i felt as if that was what my flaw was, having soldiers take high risk moves that could backfire and leave me with one man down in the middle of a op, thought defensive was the way i had to go

2 - Trying but it seems even with "wet work" it takes ages to get a captain, only have one so far and any Lt. i have had so far has perished

3 - I won't argue that

4 - Trying but my resources are getting stretched the enough, tossing supplies and Intel and a hundreds problems and running out quickly, trying to established contacts to boost the income but i get called off to do urgent missions every time

6 - Vahlen was my waifu :c

7- Still seems a bit risky...

7a - Didn't even know there was a exploit, so what you are saying is that i should really consider when its time to launch a ambush?

9 - Yeah but i can't help but grab some civvies just in case i take longer than expected and the aliens do end up killing more than i need to pass the mission, just a bit of paranoia

Speaking of which, you're the only one I couldn't ask about class preference yet.

Do you want to hit stuff with swords and shotguns, hit stuff with grenades and miniguns, hit stuff with snipers and pistols, heal and hack stuff with drones?
Hmm.

Being either a sword-user or a hacker sounds kinda cool.

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Interesting tips

1 - I always had a offensive mindset but i felt as if that was what my flaw was, having soldiers take high risk moves that could backfire and leave me with one man down in the middle of a op, thought defensive was the way i had to go

2 - Trying but it seems even with "wet work" it takes ages to get a captain, only have one so far and any Lt. i have had so far has perished

3 - I won't argue that

4 - Trying but my resources are getting stretched the enough, tossing supplies and Intel and a hundreds problems and running out quickly, trying to established contacts to boost the income but i get called off to do urgent missions every time

6 - Vahlen was my waifu :c

7- Still seems a bit risky...

7a - Didn't even know there was a exploit, so what you are saying is that i should really consider when its time to launch a ambush?

9 - Yeah but i can't help but grab some civvies just in case i take longer than expected and the aliens do end up killing more than i need to pass the mission, just a bit of paranoia
1. Well you still need to calculate the odds. It's just you usually want to prioritize researching guns, killing that one troublesome enemy etc. over getting better armor and playing defensively. This does actually remind me of a point I forgot to mention last time though.
1a. Always have fall backs. XCOM is a game where you cannot plan assuming everything works, but rather you plan assuming everything fails. So if a Muton is giving you a ton of trouble and you need him dead, what do you if the first shot misses? Or the second? What can you do to increase those odds (ex: destroy cover). If it all fails what are you fallbacks? Grenades to kill because those never miss assuming it's in range? If that won't do enough damage can you use suppression so you can at least hold off till the next turn?

2. Are your soldiers constantly getting wounded and having to recover? Because that can greatly increase the time it takes to reach the next rank. If so, you'll honestly just need to to work on the other stuff like offensive, fall backs etc as to avoid situations where you get wounded in the first place.

4. Early game usually gives some rookie missions, I would prioritize those even though they don't seem that valuable early game. Because then you can train them in the Guerilla Center to become Squaddies sooner, and it's early enough that you can still alternate your soldiers to train them up without much fear of them facing too power enemies.
4a. Personally I always look at the first 2-3 missions (while you're still Guerilla Training the rookies) and pick the highest ranking soldier among them to then bring to every mission possible until Captain. That Soldier being for the sole purpose of getting the squad size upgrades ASAP. Everyone else I alternate between the lower ranked soldiers early game so they can train up quickly.
4b. Note the mission difficulty with this though. Easy, make it a training ruin. Moderate? Have a couple being trained. Difficult? Bring your A-Team. Blacksite? Delay until your A-Team is all healed, well promoted and has some solid gear.

7. It is risky, there's a Lets Player called Beaglerush who uses it to insane efficiency which you could watch as examples if you want. Otherwise, I would follow these steps.
-Make one unit the 'scout' for the turn. The scout being whoever can move the furthest ahead.
-Make this scout move one blue move forward. Don't do yellow, because the blue move gives you the ability to run back if you spot an enemy there.
-Then have the other soldiers run up, but make sure they follow the same path your scout did, so that enemies don't get triggered.
-If you want to maximize, you can then send your Scout on a yellow move. But it's a bigger risk because if caught they get no reaction, so at the very least put this scout in cover.

But honestly? This tactic isn't for everyone, because of the big danger of it failing or having a line of sight issue. But when it does work, it really helps with efficiency and positioning. Especially since timed missions are now a thing.

7a. It was a pre-release exploit only. When Firaxis sent copies to certain YouTube Channels (Beaglerush, AngryJoe, TotalBiscuit, ChristopherOdd etc.) a month before the game actually came out. It was a promotional technique where they basically went "Instead of showing you guys flashy trailers, we're going to prove to you guys ahead of time this is a solid game!". But during said month, people would always stick one soldier in the open with the sole purpose of being caught by a patrol, to which the rest of the squad would trigger an overwatch trap, and then get an additional free turn as well. It became the undisputed most powerful tactic in the game, which Firaxis found was too gamey. So they added a quick fix of the patrol sometimes shooting when spotted out of cover during stealth.

9. Any Civvies you can grab are those in areas you've already cleared out or are currently fighting in. Which means the odds of aliens wandering back in after you leave is minimal. And if in a middle of a fight, you could potentially kill the alien that would shoot the civilian any ways. Like, if you can grab a civvie as a freebie while repositioning go right ahead, just don't invest actions in going out of your way to do it.

• Useful
Reactions: Gillyman
Just bought it, going to take a few hours to download but...

EDIT: Jeez make that download 24 hours -_-

Last edited:
Still haven't bought it.

Might after I put together my new PC. Got the last part today. Took four hours to put my wife's together last night and it's got me discouraged.

Just wanna shoot some Xenos and Make Terra Great Again!

Edit: just found this gem

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I can't help but Roleplay my play though as some Mercenary outfit that wants to live outside ADVENT jurisdiction but does not want to aid the resistance in their suicide mission to stop the ADVENT, unless they pay for assistance of course.... >.>

*Decided to go Mod Crazy*
*Set it to Legendary Ironman*
*Gave each Pod an extra alien*

*Buffed own Soldiers to be super soldiers*
*Total Chaos*

Never again...

V93lWsi.png

Never again.
Edit: just found this gem
3qx7t3.jpg

My thoughts are so far, that I'm really looking forward to when Firaxis fixes the optimization issues

Just got to start it after Steam had some Windows verification issues.

Runs flawlessly on my PC, save for a few issues. Namely the main menu chugs haaaaard for a few seconds.

Only gameplay issues are ALL THE FUCKING TIME LIMITS THIS TIME and I've yet to learn the shortcuts.

*Keeps forgetting Aliens also have grenades*

Fml

Just got to start it after Steam had some Windows verification issues.

Runs flawlessly on my PC, save for a few issues. Namely the main menu chugs haaaaard for a few seconds.

Only gameplay issues are ALL THE FUCKING TIME LIMITS THIS TIME and I've yet to learn the shortcuts.
Are you referring to delays with actions or time limits in missions?

Don't own the game but steam share is a great thing. I like the game and all the additions it made, if it had the base-building aspects of the older ones it would be just about perfect. (I am too much of a casual to like anything else of the older ones...). Also thank god there's a camerda mod.

Also, the RNG of the game gave me this guy, no edits made. Nobody fucks around with Murphy, as we 'all' call him, he's a great action hero with british accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.