Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Avaiger

Original poster
  1. Sytal-1.jpg

Welcome to Wyrdwood University

By now, I'm sure you've realized that this is no normal school. We call it a school for the "Gifted" on the flyers. In reality, this is a school for people with supernatural abilities. Some of you may already know that you are not a regular human, and some of you are just now finding out that magic exists. Here, you will be taught how to control whatever powers you happen to have. Most of your time here will be spent in either training, sparring, and free time. Don't expect to learn any of the boring, regular subjects, you won't need them. Now, we hope everyone will be on time for the orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arya kept the smile on. Smiling like this was not a habit of hers; she normally only did it to look innocent in front of people of any authority (or when she wanted something, for that matter). Still, she had a feeling she didn't want these two as enemies anymore than she did the angel or some of the other people she'd seen around. There weren't many other options friend wise either. "My name is Arya." She gave Warren a quick look at Evelyn's introduction, a little wary if anything. She had a feeling that these two were blinded in some way, because they had seemingly contrasting approaches. "So, what magic sent you two here?" She couldn't sense any dark forces, so neither were secret vampires or anything like that, which sort of sucked, because the only other she'd met so far was her unusually happy roommate. And they looked pretty human. Ugh, humans.

Warren was aware of her trying to size them up but he was having just as hard a time getting a read on her as she was of him. It really wasn't working out for him. Especially when she started asking questions.

"Uh, funny story actually," Evelyn started, exchanging a look with Warren. The dilemma was to out Warren as a big old swamp monster within their first encounter. He seemed to object a little; if his frown was of any indication. But as far as Evelyn could tell, Arya had yet to prove to be untrustworthy so... she deserved a good amount of truth.

"He set off fireworks in my parents kitchen," Evelyn answered finally. Her eyes were a little distant as she remembered the horrors of the shattering crystal and heirloom china. "It was a disaster." She quipped shortly.

Beside her, Warren sunk a little and offered Arya a sheepish smile.

"In my defense, it was your friend that prompted me to show what I was capable of," he offered but Evelyn's glare caused him to promptly shut up. "It had been a while since I've used 'fun' magic. It got a little out of hand."

Evelyn shook her head but returned her attention to Arya; "so, um, what got you in here?"

Well, that's a new one. Thank god I'm a good actor. Arya looked surprised, but inside she was fairly confused; it was clear that these two were hiding something. "I understand, I assume your friend is a human." It took a lot of determination to not add a nasty remark about mankind. The majority, in Arya's opinion, were lazy and powerless oafs no longer deserving of the top of the food chain. She found the relationship between these two, however, rather amusing. They didn't see eye to eye, that much was obvious, but why was unknown, and what Arya wanted to find out. The more she knew, the more she could use against them come the final reckoning. A small laugh escaped Arya's lips. "What didn't? Mostly the fact that not many people share my idea of fun." She smirked slyly, before returning to her innocent demeanour. "You and me share disaster as a common interest."

Quinn looked to the girl in black as she entered and immediately didn't like the way she smelled. She carried death with her and she figured it would be in her best interest to avoid her like the plague. Her tail flicked as she sat at a table in the corner, empty of other people. She observed the conversation between the girl in black and another pair, one of which smelled dirty, like mud.

Warren's brows shot up when Arya made the assumption that he was human. Evelyn made no effort to correct her but could basically feel the pride radiating off the guy. Despite being rusty, he seemed to be able to pull off a stunt like this well enough to convince someone!

With that, the demon-elf won the wizard monster over enough that he relaxed a little. Supporting his elbow on the table, he pressed his cheek to his palm and offered their meal-mate a mischievous smirk.

"So you caused someone some trouble and they sent you to a school with other magic wielding misfits?" His sneer only grew with his sarcasm. "Sounds like a good plan; whoever sent you here must have thought it through."

"Pff, we're supposed to be learning how to... I don't know, cope with these 'abilities', right?" Evelyn quipped. "If there was a handbook I could have read after meeting you, we'd probably still be home."

"Maybe. But the fireworks were going to happen no matter what you read," Warren hummed, bouncing a brow at his friend. "It's all for entertainment, that's what people like about magic."

"Uh-huh. Maybe that's what you like magic for but, well before all this, I just-- magic was fiction!" Evelyn explained but Warren simply scoffed.

"Magic and spirits are something that coexist with you. It's something that people use to entertain or... hide themselves with," he made a wide gesture with his free arm to the far table with the cat on a seat. "No one would have allowed a feline walk around a school but, here, it's different. Everyone here knows what the greater, ignorant, humanity doesn't: supernatural isn't just made up."

The blonde boy looked pointedly between the two girls - he'd been alone and existing as raw energy for several hundred years and, frankly in his several months of suffering from culture shock, the lack of recognition for the creatures that exist was insulting. Now that he said his piece, he pressed both palms to the table and leaned back enough to address the cat in the room. By clicking at her with his tongue like one would do to any stranger pet they encounter; "c'mere, kitty! If you're going to listen to us, you might as well at least join the table."

He didn't care if it was insulting even if he did get the sense that she was more than just a cat. His people - feline - skills were shit and there was honestly nothing he could do about it.

"Ah! Brothers, sister, this is my other new friend, Chayse," Alfbern exclaimed, "Chayse, these are my siblings Meinrad, Friedhelm, and Hildegard."
"Hey, did you get caught in that stupid prank this morning?" Raziela asked. Then, Raziela and Alfbern both looked over at the table with the Half-Demon.
"What is that?" Alfbern murmured. He saw a human, at least it looked human, and had the soul of one, but Alfbern could tell it was more like a nature spirit now.he also saw a cat with his eyes, but he could tell that, in reality, it was some kind of shapeshifter. Shapeshifters souls always fluctuate, so anyone who can "see" souls can tell what they are, but can't tell the difference between two shapeshifters without a detailed analysis.
Raziela's attention was more on the Half-Demon. She knew that creature was trying to further its own agenda, she just couldn't tell if it was a selfish or evil agenda.

Quinn tilted her head at being addressed so blatantly especially by the creature that didn't even remotely smell human Her curiosity always seemed to get the better of her and she cautiously made her way to the table where the trio sat. She remembered to act the part she was playing and approached the creature first as he was the one who called her over. She had half a mind to open her mouth and ask "What is it?" but cats didn't really have the vocal chords for human speech and she wasn't quite ready to give up her game to the other two yet. She instead opted for a simple "meow"

Arya smiled genuinely at Warren's reaction. I've pressed all the right buttons, now to keep them this way. The smile very quickly disappeared when Warren began to be sarcastic. "Exactly, but there's more to circumstance then what first meets the eye." Like, the fact that here, I can mix with other dark forces... and possibly find my father... and kill him. she added silently. In fact, she was pretty silent through Warren's lecture and his strange conversation with the cat. "How old are you?" she asked the two, her meal already finished.

Chayse was suddenly introduced to the bear spirits. Now he wished he had his bow. If these guys were to turn against him, he'd be completely defenceless until nightfall. "Hello," he repeated, unsure at how this "sibling" relationship between bear spirit and human worked. Was it the same as his own? "Yes, I did, but I've changed since then... Did you?" He realised he'd forgotten her name... He'd hopefully be able to get around it. Hopefully.

James spotted the young girl accompanied by her blonde compatriot enter the lunchroom through the corner of his eye. Taking a moment to get a better look at her, he had one thought go through his head.

Damn, she's cute. And so is he...

After that, a realization that they may have been a couple hit him like a truck, and he could feel his soul drowning, as if it were swallowed in his own magma.

So, that was something of an exaggeration, it was more a mild, disappointed resignation than anything. It didn't even stop him from giving her a brief wave, though he wasn't sure she caught it, as her attention had been taken by the emo girl, the one all in black. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something about the darkly dressed girl was bothering him, setting of warning bells inside his head. She wasn't being actively aggressive or suspicious in any way, but something about her had his red flags flying, and with the new girl coming in for a landing just across from her, he figured he might as well see just what it was that was bothering him.

Besides, he was their upperclassman, he had some sort of obligation to show them around and whatnot.

Picking up his tray he walked the short few steps of distance between the two. As he drew closer, he could feel his nose begin to itch. The closer he got, the more intense it became, though it was bearable for the moment. He set his tray, heavy with macaroni and cheese and thick, heavy sausage, down in an open seat. "Hey there, you're the new kids, right? Gotta' say, it's looking like a promising year," he said, "Lot's of talent among the new blood. The name's James, James Darius." He extended a hand to the two girls. He was fully aware that the one in black would have to shake-left handed, but he didn't really care. Glancing over to the blonde-haired boy he said, "I'll have to get to you next, unless you're comfortable shaking a third hand," he offered, willing magical magma to ooze out from the pores at his wrist and grow into a third arm and hand, which proceeded to give a little wave. Seeing as most people weren't exactly comfortable with grabbing a hand made out of hot lava, he retracted it after a brief moment, long enough for the other boy to shake it if he wished/had the guts, but not long enough for the heat to become excessive.

"So, you guys hear anything about the guy who dumped sports drinks all over the freshman class after orientation? Can you believe someone would pull a prank like that?"

"Aww, she came over," Warren mused, flapping a hand at Evelyn's general direction as the cat approached them. He patted his lap clicking his tongue against his teeth as a clear indication that he wanted the feline to at least join them at the table.

Evelyn kind of rolled her eyes at her, clearly, distracted friend and decided to answer Arya; "I'm 16, he's uh... older. 19, I think." That was dirty lie - he was well over 400 years old. But she figured that they'd figure out he wasn't human sooner than later when the illusion wore off.

Just as she was going to turn the question to Arya when the Judd Nelson guy plopped down with his tray. In her experience with moving, it was typically a good sign when the upperclassmen made an effort to socialize with the new kids. Unless he had some ulterior motive. But Evelyn wasn't the type to hold those kind of suspicions! So she gladly beamed back at James and took his hand and introduced herself; "I'm Evelyn Turner, nice to meet you."

Warren, pulling his attention from the cat to the new boy, raised a brow at his introduction, "You can call me Warren." He was about to make some snide comment about the so called talent these kids had when, sure enough, the kid sprouted another arm made of lava. For a second, Warren's form shimmered like static on a television: he was not a fan of hot anything and Jame's was literally radiating death. The disguised swamp monster dumbly waved back at the hand even as he scooted as far away from it as possible. So maybe these kids were kinda talented anyway.

Evelyn, despite the danger, was enthralled. Eyes sparkling, she was amazed. Coming from no knowledge of the supernatural and a fresh experience with magic, James might as well have been a deity. And he was so casual about it like a cool kid. She snickered at Warren's response and just had to comment; "why can't you show me how to do that?"

"Because that is not magic that I know," Warren croaked with a clear of his throat. With a slightly ashamed flush of his cheeks, he admitted quietly, "I've never encountered anything like that."

When James pulled the groups attention to the prank in the morning, Evelyn snickered and shrugged.

"Well I could think of a worse welcome, if I'm honest. The extra electrolytes were appreciated, though! Nothing says good morning like a mix of Gatoraid flavors in your hair," laughing she waved a dismissive hand. "I'm sure a shower will help with the stickiness and clothes can be cleaned, so I'm not entirely bothered. The prankster could have added more fruit punch, though."

Still feeling a little wary of the lava sprouting new guy, Warren kept his answer short, "the spell used was impressive but it was a waste of resources, especially since it was easily disarmed. They could have at least put a ward on the runes..." Despite the - sort of - disrespectful use of magic, Warren was always going to be a fan of mischief.

Quinn the cat seemed both insulted and amused at the behavior of the blonde boy. She wondered what his reaction would be to her just changing then and there. Before she could decide if it was a good idea or not, her attention was drawn to the upperclassmen that joined the trio. She backed away slightly as he sprouted a third arm of magma. Were all the people of this school freaks? Of course that was a little hypocritical to think since she was one herself.

She had no intention of getting closer to the stinky creature or the man of magma. The girl in black set her fur on end. The only one who seemed at all trustworthy was the girl who had introduced herself as "Evelyn". Quinn was acting unsettlingly like a normal person. It was obvious she was listening to the conversations and could comprehend speech. She made the decision to sit in a free seat by the only one she liked at the table.

James suppressed a smile when he caught the blonde-boy's illusion flicker. Despite his reputation as the school's troublemaker, he was quite intelligent, far more so than he normally let on. Now wasn't the time to press for answers though. Nobody kept themselves hidden behind an illusion unless they didn't want people to see what was underneath. He'd bring it up in private, if he brought it up at all. "It's nice to meet you both," he said with a confident smile as he shook Evelyn's hand, before then extending a real hand to Warren. This one being made from flesh, blood and bone, as opposed to molten hot stone.

"And I wouldn't get your hopes up too high as far as learning my tricks. I'm something of a rare bird among earth-magic users," he said, taking a large bite out of his macaroni and cheese, "I could try and teach you if you want, but most don't lava it so much," he continued, a shit-eating grin spreading across his face at his pun. It wasn't a good pun, but that was because there was no such thing as a good pun. The purpose of a pun was to be bad enough that it looped back around to become good.

"Speaking of tricks though, what're you two in here for? You don't strike me as a couple of 'mommy and daddy wanted me to learn magic so I could be just like them' cases," he continued, making air quotes and doing an incredibly posh, uppity voice when it was needed for comedic effect. "What is it that the two of you do?" He asked, pointing his fork at the new blood and waving it between them as he shoveled another large bite of macaroni and cheese into his mouth.

"And you too, I suppose," he added, gesturing to the girl in black. If he was going by tropes alone, that girl had some sort of edgy power, like demonic heritage or hellfire blood. Then again, those were the sorts of tropes one ran into in comic books or on online roleplaying forums, not in real life. For all he knew, she could be his half-sister. After all, if his dad had managed to get Gaia, a being who's body makes up the entire earth, pregnant...

Who knows what else he could of done. Who else he could have done.

"No, I was too far away when it went off. I disarmed the runes though," Raziela explained.
"I will return shortly," Alfbern said as he walked off. His siblings followed him. They walked over to the table with the shapeshifter.
Alfbern and his siblings bowed to the upperclassman who made an arm out of lava,
"Heir of the Earth, Prince of Nature, we are honored to be in your presence. Your soul is a most wondrous sight to behold." Alfbern could feel Gaia's power radiating from the upperclassman now that he was closer. His soul was a portion of pure nature, impossible to mistake for anything other than a descendant of Gaia within three generations.
Raziela stared at Alfbern, "Why is he bowing to that kid?"

With the pleasant lack of molten rock, Warren hesitantly shook the kid's hand. He didn't like the look of Jame's smug smirk, meeting the expression with a stubborn frown until Evelyn shocked him out of his funk with a hearty: "Hah! The cat likes me most!" She proudly puffed her chest out and gestured with both hands at the feline beside her. She was blessed by the cat.

Rolling his eyes, Warren looked to James again and huffed, "I'm afraid my expertise only lies in plant-based magic. I'd burn up." Unfortunately for James, his pun went right over the blonde boy's head, merely earning him as suspicious squint. Seems as if Evelyn's crash course on puns was only mildly effective for the centuries old monster.

However, it did gain him an ugly snort/laugh from Evelyn. She was still grinning when she answered James' question; "Warren set my house on fire with fireworks. That's why we're in here. Because he destroyed my kitchen."

"An accident!" Warren practically pleaded, voice cracking as he looked to his taller friend. "Why must we keep landing on this subject?!

"It's been a very long time since I've used any of my, er, 'entertainment' spells," he explained to James, trying to collect his cool. "Evelyn's parents simply had a lot of fragile valuables in the kitchen and... some of them were more flammable than others."

Evelyn scoffed beside him. Jerking a thumb to the blonde, she added; "this loser broke my father's heirloom china. Shattered it! So now we're here and I've had to move again! So basically what I do is suffer."

She ignored her friends pained expression and was about to ask James how he got here when a boy and a gaggle of bears(?) seemed to answer that for her. Prince of Nature? Heir of the Earth? James didn't look any different from the other kids around here.. well except for the boy wearing plants. She kind of emitted an awkward chuckle when the plant kid bowed to James.

"H-Huh, so... that's a fun way to greet someone," she muttered, making Warren look around her to the group of bears and their boy. They were nature spirits alright, something he was close to but not close enough to be considered a 'spirit' in any sense of the word. He was more like a curse that the earth charged with immortality... well not earth so much as a very pissed off witch. Whoops.

James gave a chuckle at the blonde-boy's 'punintentional' joke. "Woah, so you set the lady's house on fire using plant magic? I feel like something similar happened around here at the end of april, like the 20th or so," he replied, "Anyway, plant magic is pretty cool stuff, even if it never really took root with me," he continued with a shrug. He was about to continue when he was interrupted by a kid who was followed by a flock of bears. Hearing his voice, James turned around to get a good look at him. James knew what was coming.

"Heir of the Earth, Prince of Nature, we are honored to be in your presence. Your soul is a most wondrous sight to behold." The kid said, bowing down in a very similar fashion to how commoners would bow before the kings of old. It made sense, James was a sort of royalty, being an elemental prince and all. The kid's voice was filled with respect and admiration. Not too many people noticed his heritage at first glance. While he didn't take any sort of steps to hide it, James had what equated to a "Soul Slouch" that tended to result in him bypassing the notice of those who weren't actively trying to get a look at his soul. A part of James was impressed.

The rest of James hated it when people tried to kiss his ass.

"Yeah yeah, I've heard it before. You're permitted to speak, act, and carry yourself freely before me. Cast and travel as you wish, so long as you don't steal my food or mess with my save-files, no harm will come to you from the stone," he said, his voice making it clear that he'd had to say these exact same words dozens of times before. Many of the elemental princes, especially those of earth, had very specific rules of conduct as to how others were required to act in their presence. James didn't. "Do you want an autograph or something?" He asked, scratching the back of his head before turning over to Evelynn, shielding the half of his mouth that faced away from her with the back of his hand.

"It's cause my mom's the planet," he said in a hushed voice, "Ask me about it more later," he advised. He briefly considered flaring out his soul to it's full size, which would have easily filled the lunchroom with the powerful aura befitting of an elemental prince. However, that would be something of a bother, and attract far more attention than he wanted right now.

Alfbern was a bit surprised at this response. The child of Gaia clearly knew of the traditions of the people of his stature, but did not respect them. "I see my presence is unwanted, so I will leave. Know this though, if you do not respect what you are, you will never reach your true potential. If you do not embrace every part of who you are, even the traditions you seem to find irritating, you will never truly be anything in the scheme of things," Alfbern explained. He walked away, partly angry that someone of such high stature would have such low character, partly afraid that he had insulted an extremely powerful being.

Being a fairly underwhelming new member of the supernatural/magical world, Evelyn was lost. She had no idea what the bear boy and lava guy were talking about but, she thinks, they'd make for a great sequel to Shark Boy and Lava Girl. Watching these two, however, it was becoming clear that these two would probably make an uncomfortable heroic duo - at least with the tension being this thick. She glanced to Warren and saw him shrug; he was just as lost as she was.

"It's cause my mom's the planet," -- "Ask me about it more later,"

Well that was some news. Evelyn whipped her head to Warren and mouthed, "how can someone be the son of the physical earth?!" Only receiving another helpless shrug, she turned to James with her eyes furrowed in extreme confusion. These were the type of things that happened in the comic books she read, not real life! As the nature boy haughtily walked off, both Warren and Evelyn were leaning against the table, clearly expecting some sort of explanation.

"Son of Gaia?" the blonde prompted.

Quinn's head whipped back and forth between every one that was speaking. There was a lot going on and she found it hard to keep up. She could feel her form wavering from the tension and after a moment, she shifted, human and wide-eyed at the people around her. Thankfully, a benefit of her power was she kept her clothes through the transition.

So there she sat, her gig up. "E-E-Excuse m-m-me" she stuttered out. "I-I'm Q-Quinn." she said to everyone generally gathered. She gave Evelyn a sheepish smile. She was plain enough, brown hair and clothes that didn't fit well. She felt more out of place as a human than she ever did while she was an animal.

For a long time, Arya was silent. The older boy introduced himself, but she dropped her fork in shock at his name and practically refused his hand. It can't be connected. It shan't. He can't be... Darius. No, Arya. How stupid of you. She composed herself fairly quickly, but there was a look of hate in her eyes as she muttered a quick greeting to "James", the boy she would attempt to avoid.

Her smile did not return upon his addition to the small... event at the orientation. "I'm sure you are aware." Her voice was not the kind persuasion she had been using before. "It wasn't a good welcome. My clothes are ruined. Much like the runes." I don't trust this guy at all. At least he's leaving now.

Chayse almost cried upon seeing his fellow spirits bow to the upperclassman. "The boy is a son of Gaia, one of our Queens. In fact, Gaia is the leader of any nature spirits, like the bear spirits. She is no concern of mine." If his Queen arrived, he would like to think she would treat him the way she treated his ancestors, with respect and kindness. Not wanting him to bow to his children. He smiled with satisfaction when the prince had the kind of attitude Chayse appreciated.

Last edited:
When Alex decides to eat, he will do it as pathetic as it could be.
He talked a bit with his roommate, being totally okay with him.

Alex took several of his favorite books, most of them are scientifically-magic themed, and walked inside cafeteria room.
Books floated after him, kept from falling on ground with weight-lowering charm, and dragged with simple telekinesis. He slowly walked to cafeterias table, took food from hands of cook, and walked to one of lost tables.

Alex slowly sat, decreasing work of weight-lowering charm, as three of his books slowly landed on table. He increased weight-lowering charm on one of books, using telekinesis to open it, and place by left side of bowl with soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.