Wuxia/eastern fantasy adventure, small group, detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aristasy

Original poster
Update: All interest slots currently filled~

Hi :)

I am interested in starting a role play of the Wuxia or eastern fantasy adventure genre with a small group of around three to five max.

The world would be in an alternate universe, so there is no need for historical accuracy nor realism. For example, combat could consist of fancy Martial Arts, elemental magic (wood-water-fire-earth-metal), or enhancement via alchemy pills. Yaoguai, or monsters, would roam the vast continent containing lush forests, mountains, rivers, temples, city-states, ancient city ruins, and dungeons.

Names, landscapes, and culture would be Chinese-based, meaning concepts like Taoism (Ying-Yang and cultivation) and internal alchemy are commonly known. Depending on feedback, this could be more or less strict.

The main focus of the role play would be a journey undertaken by students of a certain school located in an isolated mountain temple, the Shenshan School of Alchemy and Medicine. It is a famous school known for being the closest to reaching the secret of divine immortality. However, for the past decade, Barbarians have been invading the civilized world, making it very unsafe to continue teaching the secrets of the school, lest an invasion result in the secrets being stolen. When it became clear that the Barbarian invasion was an ongoing threat, the Shenshan Elders transported all the school's secrets to a faraway, secret location. While the secrets were safe, the school faced the looming risk of losing any suitable teacher of such secrets, because all the elders were nearing death.

At the beginning of the role play, the main invading force of the Barbarians would have been repelled by an alliance of previously independent city-states, and the Shenshan school, led by the last remaining elder, would quickly send its best students along with some reputable mercenaries to retrieve the secrets. The journey would probably take months and would involve meeting yaoguai, bandits, lingering barbarians, as well as visiting many city-states and other wonders along the way.

For logistics, I would prefer to run a slower-paced, more detailed role play. Please let me know of your interest and/or if you have any questions/feedback, thanks~

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested. Do you have sources of inspiration that I can read on, so I understand the setting/technology/world better?

I'm interested as well~

I'm loving your ideas. I hope you gather more interest for your rp to expand further and have the group rp come to life. I'm pretty familiar with wuxia, so if you ever needed a second input on an idea, let me know~

@JRPG Fanatic Glad to hear :)

I can try to provide some. The feel of the adventure would be similar to Journey to the West, where a small group faces dangers along a journey to retrieve some form of treasure.

Martial Arts will probably be Wu Shu or Kung Fu-based, except there may be liberties taken such as being able to double-triple jump. There can be use of Chi to strengthen attacks or weapons (refinement). The use of chi attacks would be a bit more limited, so it won't be like Dragon Ball Z ka-me-ha-me-ha boom! Elemental magic would be more utility-based rather than creating a huge fire ball and blasting everything to kingdom come. Summoning elemental spirits could be a thing as well, but nothing of overlord class. For elements, see this.

Barbarians are basically just humans from a different continent that thrive on chaos and warfare. They are less "civilized", but are not stupid or anything.

Some scenery: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Some manga/comics that may give some inspiration on "alchemy", "Tao/Daoism", and cultivation: Yaoguai Mingdan or Yaoshenji, Spirit Blade Mountain

@Pray4me Thanks :) I am somewhat new to it so it would be reassuring to have your experience on board~

We are already three, so maybe if there is one more interested I can start the OOC and Sign-up. I think we would have at most five role players.

This has my interest! I've been looking to join a Wuxia/Xianxia-themed roleplay for a while now.

@Aristasy

So, I have some questions before fully confirming I'd like to join! :(

How often are you looking for us to post?

What does the CS look like? Is it basic with only important info needed or more detailed, like asking for strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, hobbies, etc. as well as basic things, such as name, age, history, etc.?

What are the posting expectations (i.e. is it beginner, adept, intermediate, etc.)?

Is there a certain number of paragraphs you're looking for?

@Eryian Yay, I will start the OOC/Signup thread tonight then :)

@rhea Myself, I work full-time so during the week, I only have evenings to truly write content. Weekends, I have much more time usually. I would say the post rate should be at least once every three days. In addition to that, I think it is important that we equalize posting rate so that no one is left behind. We can see how it goes, but initially everyone would be limited to two or three posts until everyone has had a chance to post.

I think part of the fun is discovering yourself and others during the role play, so the required character sheet will be minimal. If anyone wants to write more detail, that would be perfectly fine as well. I think another aspect is as the role play progresses, the character sheet can be updated as well. There would be a section on it where you write a two-three paragraph sample with your character in it so everyone can get a feel for things. It would also be a good way to see if we are all on the same page for setting. (Sort of like a practice first post.)

I'm new to this site, so my estimate may be off, but I would like request adept or higher. I think those that like to expand on their character's current feelings, the surroundings, and really paint a picture for the reader would fit in well for the intended role play. While I will probably be the main driver for events, outcomes, and NPCs, everyone would also be free to introduce things that fit into the world.

For paragraph length, to incorporate all the above aspects into a post, even if it is simply responding to dialogue, maybe at the minimum two great paragraphs and the average to be three or four paragraphs. The key would be attention to detail, nuance, and also effort to introduce those for the others to react to or notice. Since the post rate is not intended to be rapid-fire, this will hopefully all be reasonable.

@Eryian @Pray4me @JRPG Fanatic Tagging the others for their feedback as well, but please let me know if any of the above seems unreasonable or you have any requests to change the logistics.

• Love
Reactions: junebug
@Aristasy

Consider me interested then! I'll see how it goes! :)

@Aristasy

It looks like we have everyone! :D

Reactions: Aristasy
Thanks for the information, but I don't think the post rate will work well for me. I'm able to do post multiple times in a week, but it's more on the weekends, than on the weekdays.

@JRPG Fanatic I'm sorry to hear :(

Does anyone else have any objection to post rate being a few times per week, but no requirement of evenly spacing it out? Most people would be busy during the weekdays, I would think.

As a person who would prefer slightly slower, such as at least two posts per week or one, I would object, but I think, for this kind of roleplay, it would depend on how the roleplay flows, how busy I am, and how much detail people get into. So, I'm personally just waiting to see how things work in my favor while also being busy with other things. :)

@rhea That makes sense. For me at least, post rate is more flexible since we are not machines and real life will always be there to throw us curveballs.

Let's think of the post rate as a rough guideline rather than something I will track and grade you all on :p

• Thank You
16446563124_940532453f_o.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I think twice a week is a good balance for most. It moves the rp on a good pace and keeps people engaged and interested~

Though, I do suggest keeping everyone somewhat on a track with posting. Some may need to be nudged more than others to post even just once.

Reactions: Aristasy
I started the OOC/Character Sign-up thread, which is still under construction as I write up more about the setting and organize things better. Feel free to get started on your character sheets and ask any questions about things that I haven't covered in the information post yet. I think the gist of things is all written down between this thread and the OOC.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.