Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
[warning=yellow]
Sorry to spook you guys with the scary exclamation point just to the left, but I have an announcement regarding the status of my upcoming exercise series!

With the new rearrangement of the forums, I'm gonna re-evaluate some of my plans. I'm still wanting to do the exercise series about planning and OOC practice, BUT I may be able to come up with another series for another section, as well.

And for those of you waiting patiently (or impatiently) for that planning and OOC practice series? It's slow coming, but the planning outline has taken form! There is progress, even if slow.

It is definitely not forgotten! Keep faith. ;)
[/warning]

My Writing Explorations series of exercises are a chance for users to explore new concepts and practice the art of raising two fingers to Writer's Block while screaming obscenities to fickle muses: to rebel against the idea that a person requires a mythical force inside them to make new and amazing things.

No. Listen well, users: there is no being inside you waiting to be let out. You are the writer, and in this exercise, you are given a place to push not only against Writer's Block, but also against the forces of stagnation. Feel trapped in your genre? Explore a new one! Stuck with a singular archetype? Do something else! In this thread, you will not be critiqued, and I will read every entry and let you know what makes me happy about it. Should you wish it, I will happily offer my thoughts on how it might be improved, but I will not comb looking for fixes: this isn't the place: this place is for safely trying new things and indulging a love of writing.

Shake the bars of your cell block and roar, writers!

[fieldbox=How do I take part?]Curious about how this works? Good! Look over the offered themes and prompts and the bonus rounds, then think about them. Then, take your thoughts and get writing. You can write to one or more (or none) of the prompts, the theme in the thread title, the bonuses: hell, you can even cast aside all of what I offer if you get a different idea.

The whole point is "get writing!"[/fieldbox]

Themes:
  1. The dragon graciously welcomed the guests to its kingdom, unaware.
  2. A character has to choose between allowing or enabling a genocide against an unknown group of people they have never met or letting the individual they (justifiably) hate most walk free.
  3. Hatred blinds the protagonist, and they make a mistake. This mistake drives the story.

Bonus Rounds:
  • Write in a random genre.
  • Someone misunderstands their own emotions, and that is the root of their hate.
  • "Just because I don't react doesn't mean I don't notice."
  • "And that's what happens when you're raised by pirates."
  • The crux of the story involves someone getting drunk.
  • "God, 'dying is easy' was the biggest lie ever. I'm exhausted."

Reactions: MST3K 4ever
Maggie's heartrate was surprisingly low at the moment as she watched the camera do its right to left sweep of the door way to Central One from inside the vent. She studied the movement and began to gage its rhythm. Maggie said, "Okay kick the grate, run to the door, enter the code, get into the room, jam the lock, initiate the virus, and then live happily ever after. All that in less than two minutes." She shook her head and said, "Oh yeah, piece of cake Maggie. Then after that I'll give a class on walking on water." Maggie glanced down at her watch and said, "Okay Maggie, now or never. In 3, 2…" She counted one silently and then kicked the grate away. Quickly Maggie dashed to the door as the grate slamming onto the ground caused every alarm to be triggered. Maggie then entered in the code that she had written on her left forearm and the door slid open. Maggie dove into the room and bashed the controls for the door. The doors closed and the sound of the door being locked echoed in the massive chamber. The room was lit by several lights, there were several terminals, monitors, speakers, and circular walkways around a massive white and yellow ball. Maggie looked at it and said, "So, this is the main processor for Central One. Well hope you enjoyed it, because you're about to go off line for good." Maggie began to enter in the codes and then…the keyboard she was working at exploded! Knocking Maggie back several feet

Just then a voice said, "I wouldn't be so sure."

Maggie looked up and saw a woman dressed in a flowing white gown holding a controller. Maggie knew who it was instantly. It was Premier Valcor the leader of the Council of Elites. If the Illuminati was snake this woman was the head of the snake.

She said, "So, you're the one that everyone has talked about in whispers and rumors for months? The great Maggie Stibold the promised Golden Child of humanity." Valcor shook her head and rolled her eyes and said, "Pathetic child. We on the council have been waiting for you for weeks. Ever since your grandfather General Stibold made his deal with us." Valcor nodded and said, "Yes, we've known of you for some time. We never thought you would ever show up, but once the Resistance units began their attacks this evening I knew you would arrive. I do have to admit the Resistance units have put up a valiant fight, but with your failure here tonight it will all be for naught."

Maggie stood up and brushed herself off. She said, "How did you know?"

Valcor scoffed and pressed a button her controller. A video screen materialized showing Maggie entering the facility and through the vents. Valcor said, "Ever since your grandfather failed us I had extra precautions taken in terms of surveillance. We figured out your computer code weeks ago. Once you entered in the second to the last line Central One was programmed to give you a little jolt. Not enough to kill you, because your execution will be public and your death will be the factor that brakes the Resistance units."

Maggie closed her eyes. She said, "I can't believe this. It's over now all the work and months of planning and it ends like this. The party is over. I can't believe it the party is over. The party is over."

Approaching Maggie Valcor said in a sing song voice," That's right the party is over for you my dear."

Suddenly the white and yellow processing ball began to pulsate different colors of light slowly at first and then rapidly. Valcor was stunned as she asked, "What's happening?"

Maggie smiled and said, "Oh you see I had a backup plan in place Premier Valcor. I added in a bit of code in addition to the original virus. It would be triggered when you or anyone else on the Council said the phrase 'the party is over.' Once it was said it would trigger the virus all I had to do was to get you to say the phrase, and you did."

Valcor looked on in horror as suddenly images of the Council filled the screens. They showed the Council and how they were oppressing all of humanity. How they felt the Military were basically simple dogs who were beneath them. Every sin they ever committed was being broadcasted throughout the world. There were reports of the Military now aiding the Resistance Units, and the sound of an angry massive mob could be heard even through the walls of the Citadel.

Maggie said, "Welcome to the new world. You and the Elites might want to consider clearing out quickly."

Valcor smiled at Maggie and held up her control. She said, "I wouldn't be too sure Maggie. You see my controller is hooked up to me. If anything happens to me several gas pellets, containing a nerve agent, located throughout the world will go off simultaneously. Annihilating well over half the population in less than one minute. We might be delayed by a week or two but then we would return to power eventually. However, we know of Free Space if you were to arrange for mine and the council's safe passage to there I would be willing to give you the remote and the disarming code once we arrive there."

This was something Maggie wasn't prepared for. She was furious at herself for not having thought about something like this. She couldn't just shoot Valcor and there wasn't enough time for her to figure out how to stop the remote. Maggie bowed her head though they had won a major battle The Council was about to find a way to escape justice. Maggie knew that she had no other choice but to agree to Valcor's terms. Even in defeat The Council found a sort of victory for them.

Maggie walked over to a terminal and activated a communications program. She contacted Travis and explained the situation. He, along with the others, was furious but Travis agreed that there was no other choice. That they would have to let The Council go to Free Space. Travis would make the arrangements and accompany The Council and Maggie to Free Space within the hour.

They arrived on an island full of lush green vegetation, plants growing as far as the eye could see, and white sands for miles. It was a Garden of Eden that was now about to have several snakes invade it.

Valcor and the other eight members disembarked from the boat as Travis and Maggie trailed them. They walked away about ten yards and Travis said, "All right, Valcor hand over the remote and the code."

Smiling Valcor said, "Oh my dear Colonel did you truly believe that I would give up so easily? Oh you really are simple military dog. You and Maggie are now responsible for the death of your world. We will eventually take over this one and from then we will reclaim our rightful place." Valcor pressed on the screen twice but nothing happened.

Maggie looked at Travis and asked, "We forgot to tell her about this place, didn't we?"

Rolling his eyes Travis replied, "Yeah we did." He looked at Valcor and said, "Our bad. You see one of the things that makes this place such a paradise is that there is a digital dampener here. No digital signals can get in or out if you used the old analog methods then you all might've had us up against the ropes. Meaning your remote is now useless. Just like you all."

Walking over Maggie grabbed the remote and threw it in the water. Travis' radio crackled on and Sargent DeGriggs said, "Colonel this is DeGriggs. Thanks to our new Military allies and Central One being so user friendly now we found the nerve pellets, and we shut them down."

Travis replied to DeGriggs, "Copy that. We'll be underway shortly. Just one last detail to tie up."

Valcor raised her head and said, "No matter, soon we will be the rulers of this area and a new generation will emerge. Stronger and more powerful than before. Our generation will stand on your bones, and our names will be remembered while yours will be forgotten."

Maggie shook her head and said, "I think they might have something to say about that." Maggie pointed to a large angry mob coming towards them.

Travis said, "When I contacted them to let them know we were coming I told them who we were bringing. You all are the ones who destroyed their homes, their way of life, killed their family members, and forced them to flee for their lives. They want to let you know how they felt about you all."

The entire Council looked at one another in horror and shock as Valcor said, "You have to save us! It's in your nature to help others, isn't it?"

Maggie rolled her eyes and said, "Oh please you all broke the deal. Besides we said we would give you safe passage here. What happened to you all once you got here…" Maggie shook her head and said, "None of our business."

The council quickly began to run and scatter and the mob pursued them. Maggie and Travis just watched and Maggie asked, "So what now Randal?"

Travis looked at Maggie and began to walk along the beach. Maggie walked with him and he replied, "I don't know kid, and frankly it's not my issue. I'm a soldier not a politician. Besides, there are those in other resistance units who have been discussing this day for years. It's gonna be a rough few years finding our footing with a new way of life, but life will go on. We're free and happy now." He smiled at Maggie and said, "Thanks to you Maggie. Without you, we don't ever see this day. You came to us a timid scrawny woman-child, and now you're the key factor in saving humanity. Thank you, Maggie. So, what now for you? After we celebrate of course."

Maggie replied, "First off, thank you for believing in me sir. You helped make this day happen to along with the others. It was a group effort. In terms of what now…"

Maggie then heard a voice screaming behind her, "Maggie!"

Stopping in her tracks Maggie smiled and felt tears streaming down her face as she turned to see Madilyn charging at her. Maggie spread her arms out and embraces Madilyn. Maggie picked her up and twirled her about. Maggie said, "Oh I have missed you so much Madilyn."

Madilyn replied, "I missed you too! I saved your jacket for you!"

Maggie gave her a kiss on the cheek. She looked at Travis and said, "Right now sir, I think I just want to be for a bit and enjoy living. Being the Golden Child of Humanity has taken a lot out of me. Please express my regrets, but I don't think I'm going to make it to the celebration. I need to be here for a while, but could you do me one favor and find Jason and see about him coming here?"

Travis chuckled and said, "I'll make sure he's on the next boat. I promise."

Maggie replied, "Thank you sir."

Nodding Travis smiled at Madilyn and said, "You make sure you take care of her for me."

Madilyn threw him a salute and said, "Yes sir."

After returning the salute Travis gave Maggie a hug and whispered in her ear, "Be happy."

Watching Travis walk away Maggie and Madilyn smiled. Madilyn asked, "Are you gonna stay here for a while?"

Maggie replied, "I think so. This place feels like home. Is that okay?"

Madilyn nodded as the two embraced tighter. Maggie began to walk along the beach while carrying Madilyn. In the distance, she could hear the faint cries of The Council answering for their crimes to mob justice.

As they walked Maggie drank in the sights and sounds around her, Maggie felt that now the future was as limitless as the ocean around them looked to be. That life was no longer a war to get from one day to the next, but now it was a journey filled with hope and promise, and thanks to the giggling blonde little girl in her arms and assurance of Jason being there soon…there was now…love.

...And they lived happily....for the time being...

The End (?)

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
  • Love
Thank you very much. I had a lot of fun creating and writing Maggie. Now though...I feel comfortable walking away from her. She's in a good place...and who knows...maybe I might revisit her someday.

I'm ready to move forward to a new chapter with a new character.

Thank you very much. I had a lot of fun creating and writing Maggie. Now though...I feel comfortable walking away from her. She's in a good place...and who knows...maybe I might revisit her someday.

I'm ready to move forward to a new chapter with a new character.
I can't wait to see what new chapter and new character you start using!

• Thank You