Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
[warning=yellow]
Sorry to spook you guys with the scary exclamation point just to the left, but I have an announcement regarding the status of my upcoming exercise series!

The Planning Practice (working title) exercises will be geared towards 1x1 players, and it will be posted in RP Mechanics, and it will include exercises with creating plots, presenting ideas, dealing with OOC difficulties in the planning process, overcoming hurdles, and more. These exercise types will be rotated or random, and each will include tips based on my experiences.

EDIT: I forgot to say this earlier, but Planning Practice exercises are going to be held off until I have ideas set up for at least the first several months. They may be once every two weeks, or every week with a simplified version every other week to let my brain work out the deets for the more in-depth exercises. I've got a list of topics and subtopics to include. Get yourselves pumped!
[/warning]

My Writing Explorations series of exercises are a chance for users to explore new concepts and practice the art of raising two fingers to Writer's Block while screaming obscenities to fickle muses: to rebel against the idea that a person requires a mythical force inside them to make new and amazing things.

No. Listen well, users: there is no being inside you waiting to be let out. You are the writer, and in this exercise, you are given a place to push not only against Writer's Block, but also against the forces of stagnation. Feel trapped in your genre? Explore a new one! Stuck with a singular archetype? Do something else! In this thread, you will not be critiqued, and I will read every entry and let you know what makes me happy about it. Should you wish it, I will happily offer my thoughts on how it might be improved, but I will not comb looking for fixes: this isn't the place: this place is for safely trying new things and indulging a love of writing.

Shake the bars of your cell block and roar, writers!

[fieldbox=How do I take part?]Curious about how this works? Good! Look over the offered themes and prompts and the bonus rounds, then think about them. Then, take your thoughts and get writing. You can write to one or more (or none) of the prompts, the theme in the thread title, the bonuses: hell, you can even cast aside all of what I offer if you get a different idea.

The whole point is "get writing!"[/fieldbox]

Themes:
  1. A lack of shame drives the main conflict.
  2. One character's greatest source of shame is their undoing.
  3. Someone finds something naughty and uses it to their advantage.

Bonus Rounds:
  • Write in a random genre.
  • Include something from the current fundraiser.
  • There's a lot of winky faces.
  • "Hide your shame!"
  • Someone kicks a basketball.
  • There's something about a male cat.
  • The most disturbing character is pregnant.

The night was quiet as patrols went, but that wasn’t always the case. When it was though Colonel Travis always enjoyed stopping by the lobby of an old office building on the corner of what once was a busy downtown sector. This was one of the former bases that Iron Ice had used over the years, and Travis could name each one of them off the top of his head. From how long they were there, what missions were carried out, and who was with the unit. This place though held special meaning to him because this was the base where General Stibold announced that he was leaving the unit. That he would meet up with and underground unit called the flying lion which would transport him to Free Space. Travis leaned against a wall in a darkened corner and just took it all in as he kicked away a basketball that was nearby. The sound of the rain outside sounded the exact same as the night Stibold said to everyone in parade formation, “I am no longer in command. My time has run out on me and I’ve been fighting for so long I can’t keep up with it anymore, and I fear my decisions will soon start showing signs of being ill prepared as your leader. Major Travis front and center.” Travis smiled as he visualized that day once again. He saw himself as a bright eyed determined young man who said in a voice he barely recognized as he came forward, “Sir, yes sir!” Stibold pulled out from his pocket a set of metal Eagle’s and removed the Major oak leaves. He said, “From this moment on, you are now Colonel Randal Travis! Leader of the most formidable resistance unit ever known the Iron Ice! I have no doubt that one day you will lead us to our liberation!” Stibold placed the wings on Travis’ shoulders and stepped back. He then barked, “Present salute!” Everyone saluted and Travis returned the salute. Travis shook his head and just smiled.

His mind then began to drift back to the present. It had been almost two months since Maggie’s episode with heat stroke. She had taken to her training with a renewed sense of purpose and fire. Something had awakened in her and Maggie was making huge strides in her combat tactics and weapons proficiency. At first, he chalked it up to her reaction to her near-death experience, but then he realized the way Maggie and her doctor Jason Mannon looked at one another during his visits. Travis knew that Maggie and Jason were in love. He hated the idea of love in this time and place especially since he had such a bad experience with it, but for Maggie it really energized her. Travis was torn though letting Maggie follow her feelings. On one hand, she could get hurt emotionally or it could distract her. On the other hand, it was such a positive experience for her in terms of her training and trying to be more of a member of the unit. He had allowed Maggie to see him once or twice a week, but it was very limited. Travis was convinced that Maggie was sneaking out but couldn’t prove it.

Just then a voice said, “You look as though you could use a sounding board.” Travis whipped around and the next thing he knew he was holding a gun under…it couldn’t be…it was, “General Stibold sir?”

Stibold replied, “A simple salute would’ve been sufficient Colonel.”

Travis holstered his weapon and asked, “What are you doing here sir?”

Stibold shrugged his shoulders and replied, “I got tired of the peace and quiet of Free Space. I needed to get away for a bit.” Stibold began to stroll around and said, “The place hasn’t changed much. A few more bullet holes and a couple more signs of squatters but overall pretty much how we left it. Yeah this place is pretty special all right.”

Travis asked, “Sir, I find your reason for being here to be kind unusual. You’re not one to just do something without a reason. So, what’s on your mind sir?”

Stibold nodded and replied, “Always looking to cut to the chase aren’t you son. Well then let’s get to it.” Suddenly Stibold pulled a gun on Travis and activated a laser sight. The red dot was in the center of Travis’ chest.

Travis was too stunned to speak as Stibold said, “I wish I could say that this was a hard choice for me, and I am doing this for the good of the unit and all that non-sense, but in reality, I am doing this for one purpose...” Stibold smiled and tilted his head as he said, “myself.”

Travis growled, “You son of a bitch you’re selling out! How could you? We all looked up to you. I looked to you as a father!”

Stibold shook his head and said, “Oh give it a rest Travis. Do you really believe that you and that pathetic band of outcasts can make a difference? I realized one day that even if you all do win then we must start all over again. Redistribution of the wealth, a new Government, new rules, all that crap. I’m not willing to wait that long or any of that non-sense I want to able to enjoy my life without the war. I have managed to get away from Free Space a couple of times without being noticed, and I contacted the ruling council of the Illuminati and we made a deal. I bring about the end of Iron Ice and they set me up in a nice place on my own island. ”

Travis asked, “Is it worth it to sell your soul? What about Maggie?” Stibold looked at Travis and was shocked that Travis didn’t call him General or sir. Travis continued, “As far as I’m concerned you’re not worthy of that rank or title. You have no honor! Shame upon you!”

Stibold said, “Sticks and stones whatever makes you feel better. As far as Maggie goes? A causality of war sadly. I was expecting you all to do a major assault within a couple of weeks, but you decided to do things by the book and treat her as a possibility of winning this war. So damn predictable, I knew you would be here at some point. I’ve been coming here off and on for over two weeks. Glad you finally showed up.” Stibold had a look of shame on his face as he said, “Do you really believe that you can really win this war with that pathetic excuse of a family member? Maggie Jean Stibold is such a weakling!” Stibold rolled his eyes and said, “She was always so damn whiney and clumsy. Completely unworthy of being in the family as far as I’m concerned. I’ll be glad to know she’s out of my life for good. I’ve always been ashamed of her.” Stibold regained his focus on Travis and said, “Anyway, I’m going to shoot you and tell everyone that you were coming to meet me and there was a fight where I was wounded too. They’ll take me to your new base and the ice gets melted.”

Travis let out and exhale and said, “So this is how you will be remembered? A traitor. All the good you’ve done will be cast aside.”

Stibold almost laughed and said, “Oh spare me the dime store psychology Randal. It’s over man up.” Stibold gave a nod and asked, “I’ll give you a choice though. Head or Chest?”

Travis gritted his teeth and started to say something but then a voice said, “Hello Grandpa!” Stibold spun around and standing there holding a 9mm was Maggie who shot him in the shoulder. Stibold dropped his gun and fell over. Laying on his back Maggie approached him and said, “I maybe a weakling in your eyes, but I swear this war will end in my lifetime! My brothers and sisters in arms and I are making strides with every battle! You have no idea what we have done! We will win! I swear on my life!” Maggie pointed the gun at his head and asked, “Any last words?”

Stibold started to chuckle as he said, “You won’t kill your dear Grandpa. Not in a million years”

Maggie started to lower her gun, but then brought it back up and said, “Wrong.” With that Maggie shot until the gun was empty and what once was John Stibold’s face was now a bloody, pulpy, mess of blood and tissue.

Travis crossed over and lowered the gun from a visibly shaken Maggie. He took the gun and instantly Maggie fell into his arms and wept. Travis embraced her and stroked her red hair saying, “It’s Maggie. Its’ all right. Killing isn’t an easy thing to do and I’m sorry you had to kill your own grandfather.”

Maggie took a step back and said wiping away the tears, “Colonel as far as I’m concerned he was not my grandfather. He is nothing to me now.”

Travis nodded and asked, “Not that I’m not grateful for you saving my life, which by the way I am so thank you, but what are you doing here?”

Maggie replied, “I figured this was a good night to try out some of the evade and move tactics you’ve been having me read up on. I was been trailing you for the last three blocks. I hid on the floor above you all and I heard everything.”

Travis asked, “Why didn’t you come down when you knew your…” Travis shook his head as he almost said grandfather but said, “I mean he was here.”

Maggie shrugged her shoulders and replied, “I don’t know. Something inside told me to wait.”

Travis smiled and said, “Your instincts are becoming very sharp. Well done Maggie. I’m proud of you.”

Maggie replied, “Thank you sir.”

Travis began to pace as he said, “I guess it’s time for us to head back to the base.” He smiled and said, “I can’t help but notice one thing though.”

Maggie asked, “What’s that sir?”

Travis looked at her and replied, “Jason’s compound is about a block away. Were you following and going to try and see him at some point?”

Maggie looked off to the side and said, “Really sir? I had no idea. Just a happy coincidence sir.”

Travis exhaled as he said, “Yeah right.” He shook his head and asked, “What time is it?”

Maggie replied, “1925 sir.”

Travis nodded and said, “Back at base by 2200 hours.”

Maggie smiled and threw her arms around Travis who was somewhat surprised but then returned the embrace as she said, “Thank you sir!”

Travis replied, “You’ve earned this one Maggie. Go have fun.”

Maggie was sprinting off into the night and Stibold smiled watching her. He turned back to the remains of Stibold. Travis pulled on a couple of sheets of drywall and brought them crashing down on the remains. He said, “Wherever you are now I hope you can see what’s going on, because you will see the day when that young lady is the key to peace, and you must live with that for eternity. That’s far more damaging than any kind of pain any of us will ever be able to inflict on you.”

Travis turned and walked on back to the base.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
@MST3K 4ever
Nice, nice! Not fond of the white text, but excellent job!