Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
[warning=yellow]
Sorry to spook you guys with the scary exclamation point just to the left, but I have an announcement regarding the status of my upcoming exercise series!

The Planning Practice (working title) exercises will be geared towards 1x1 players, and it will be posted in RP Mechanics, and it will include exercises with creating plots, presenting ideas, dealing with OOC difficulties in the planning process, overcoming hurdles, and more. These exercise types will be rotated or random, and each will include tips based on my experiences.

EDIT: I forgot to say this earlier, but Planning Practice exercises are going to be held off until I have ideas set up for at least the first several months. They may be once every two weeks, or every week with a simplified version every other week to let my brain work out the deets for the more in-depth exercises. I've got a list of topics and subtopics to include. Get yourselves pumped!
[/warning]

My Writing Explorations series of exercises are a chance for users to explore new concepts and practice the art of raising two fingers to Writer's Block while screaming obscenities to fickle muses: to rebel against the idea that a person requires a mythical force inside them to make new and amazing things.

No. Listen well, users: there is no being inside you waiting to be let out. You are the writer, and in this exercise, you are given a place to push not only against Writer's Block, but also against the forces of stagnation. Feel trapped in your genre? Explore a new one! Stuck with a singular archetype? Do something else! In this thread, you will not be critiqued, and I will read every entry and let you know what makes me happy about it. Should you wish it, I will happily offer my thoughts on how it might be improved, but I will not comb looking for fixes: this isn't the place: this place is for safely trying new things and indulging a love of writing.

Shake the bars of your cell block and roar, writers!

[fieldbox=How do I take part?]Curious about how this works? Good! Look over the offered themes and prompts and the bonus rounds, then think about them. Then, take your thoughts and get writing. You can write to one or more (or none) of the prompts, the theme in the thread title, the bonuses: hell, you can even cast aside all of what I offer if you get a different idea.

The whole point is "get writing!"[/fieldbox]

Themes:
  1. Someone predicts a sinking ship. Someone else refuses to accept it.
  2. Prophets are talking about the end of the world.
  3. Strange geographical phenomena are predicted.

Bonus Rounds:
  • Write in a random genre.
  • Include handcuffs.
  • Nobody mentions the actual cause of what is happening.
  • Bias is an issue.

tumblr_inline_n8mixffHSO1s0kint.png

"You've always been a maverick." Her voice twisted in a sour note as she eyed him. She crossed her legs, leaning back in the old, wooden chair. The blank, white space surrounded them. This was the only place where she would meet him. This was the only place where their powers were equal. "I can't trust you with their fate. You know as much as I do, now. Terra can't hold itself together. War is inevitable."

tumblr_inline_ni8r5sZI2T1sfvecc.png

"You're such a hassle..." Salem's oily black eyes gazed emptily out at her, but his lips were curled in an uncharacteristically snide expression. "You call me here to talk, and then all you do is call me names. I'm starting to think you hate me." He drawled, one of his arms over the seat in an easy, slouched sitting position. "I can't help what happens. Neither can you."

"We have to prepare." Abernathy replied, desperately attempting to keep her voice steady. If the devil had a name, it would be Salem. "If you don't plan to help, then what do you gain be tagging along with them?" How had this man been blessed by the holy gods above? Never did she think she would grow to despise a cleric so much. "You almost blew it with Coal the other day."

"Coal?" His expression became puzzled, eyes narrowing as he tried to figure it out. Inwardly, Abernathy seethed. But the fury vanished when she realized that his expression was genuine. "What happened to Coal?"

Realization hit her, and she felt her blood run cold. So, so cold. Suddenly, she was much, much more grateful to herself, for arranging the meeting here where they couldn't use their powers. This... this wasn't the same Salem from the battle she had observed two days ago. Alarms blared in her head. This man, no, this being was far more powerful than she ever could have known before.

"...Which Salem am I talking to?" She questioned, voice suddenly quieter. He gave her a lopsided grin.

"Which Salem do you want to talk to?"

They were sprites, children of the element of water.

Miraculously created in one effervescent moment, they had no elders to give them instruction. Yet, there were those among them that cast a studious eye at the world, and brought back reports to their kin, that the sprites' watery world was ringed by a barrier of looming snow-white mountains, from whence no explorers had ever returned.

Alas, this immediately created a rift among the previously-merry creatures, who toiled not, even as they spun.

One camp swore that any such explorers had surely perished as they attempted to scale the heights (the tallest point, which had a silvery glow at the top, they nicknamed Dooms' Peak). The other camp vehemently insisted that their fellow creatures had successfully crossed those fogged-capped obstacles, no doubt transported by the mist, and were so delighted with the world beyond that they yet frolicked in some strange new paradise.

Prophets cropped up among the sprites, biased towards those who felt their kin had met their end at those distant slopes. The prophets ceased to dance and spin and moved slowly among their kind as if on the brink of expiring, prophesying that they had angered some unseen god or goddess by attempting to flee the boundaries of their watery world.

"The end of times will surely come upon us, now," they chastised languidly as they drifted from one gathering to another.

The studious ones took up the mantle, with wearied miens. "By our calculations, we predict a future where the waters will rise and fall dangerously, due to storms, tidal waves, the invasion of thirsty animals, and the formation of strange land masses."

The more high-strung sprites began to panic. A ship was sighted one day, wild rumors said. Oh, not any spritish ship but a bizarre and strangely colored creation. What hands had crafted this? What monsters were on board?

"Something like that can't stay afloat long," worried a pink-haired (formerly bubbly) fellow.

"That ship will sink," shrilled a tiny sprite who had been cowering under something that resembled a rose-petal (had she but known it), perhaps blown in from the unseen foreign land beyond the mountains. "It will sink and all onboard will perish!"

The nonbelievers scoffed at such ranting and hysteria and continued their merry-making, but alas, a snake was firmly entrenched in their Eden and nothing would be the same. Their steps were no longer as carefree and buoyant they were at birth, and a touch of dread infused the lives of even the most cheerful of their kind.

And then…

Disaster!

Disaster of the most unforeseen kind. Disaster from the skies!

Two huge solid masses (space rocks? an alien attack?) dropped from above, unfolding and changing shape as they hurtled towards the sprites' waterworld, plunging to the very bottom of what had seemed a bottomless ocean. These "rocks" were of such a gigantic size as to rise above the water levels, even as they seated themselves in the depths. And then… the substances proved to be unstable as they quaked and shook, changing shape again and again!

The strange ship indeed capsized as feared and was submerged, only to strangely bob to the surface again, as if unharmed. But this phenomena went unnoted as the terrifying tidal waves created by the alien bombardment flung sprites left and right. And then, beyond all possibility, it seemed as if the waterquakes had not only invaded their home, but had torn the very boundaries of their world to shreds…

Mooncaff Brown, defensive tackle for Ifedurite University's mediocre football team, and Sally Smudgens, female pro wrestler, giggled as they climbed into Sally's enormous white bathtub together. Mooncaff grappled with Sally as she pretended to attempt to slip away from him. The tub toys bobbed and tipped from side to side (among them, Pirate Peter's Bath Ship) as the two played their game.

Sally finally let Mooncaff capture her and he held her prisoner for a moment against the back of the tub, gnawing at her face, both creatures oblivious to the ruinously huge pools of water splashed onto the floor.

"I have something special fer ya, baby," the suave swain sighed suggestively.

"I know you do, darlin'," purred Sally, lowering lascivious lashes.

"Heh, heh," leered Mooncaff, "you're playing my song, but you don't know all the words. Lookee what I got here!"

He reached one hugely-muscled arm over the tub and grabbed some object that had been swathed in towels and put discreetly to the side before entering the bath.

Sally tried to purse her lips alluringly as she imagined what surprise might await within. A present. Yes? Jewelry? Or -- an engagement ring! Too perfect! Not that she could ever really marry this meathead, but it would be fun to pretend for a little while and show off the ring to her pals.

"Tah-dah!" Mooncaff proudly unveiled … a pair of handcuffs. "Oh baby, what Pirate Pete's gonna do to you!"

Sally stared and turned pinker than she had been two minutes ago. She was once cuffed during a run-in with the cops in Pejuria, IL. She'd been busted riding naked on a stolen lawnmower with a "friend" down a public roadway and unfortunately, things got out of hand after that. It was one night she wanted no reminder of.

Mooncaff Brown sure knew how to ruin a moment.

"Arrgh!" the peroxide blonde screamed as she irately yanked the plug and clomped out of the tub--leaving the last of Mr. Bubbles and his kin beached and expiring among the matted chest hair of the bewildered footballer (none of those poor innocents ever even having heard of the phrase "hair today and gone tomorrow").

It was all too cruel for words.

(P.S. It's a terrible thing when a tongue is in cheek, but not in check.)

(Double P.S. - the lawnmower incident has its roots in an actual news item!)

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of a challenge trying to find a way to tie in Maggie & co. into this one.

I'll see what I can do :sunglasses:

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
@Mami Tomoe
Ooh! That's so freaking awesome! Lots of mystery! I like Salem a lot. =D

@Ravenfrost
Ahahaha! Oh gosh, that's fantastic! Well done!

@MST3K 4ever
I believe in you!

Colonel Travis was pacing back and forth nervously in the hospital bunker as the doctors and nurses were huddled around Maggie's nearly lifeless and naked body. She laid on a concrete slab in a dimly lit room with ice packs all over her, and an IV drip set up on the top of her left hand. One of the doctors approached Travis and said, "Colonel my name is Dr. Jason Mannon. I think you should know that's all we can do right now Colonel. The rest is up to her and how her body responds to the treatments. Heat stroke is a tricky thing." Travis merely shook his head and said, "I pushed her too hard too fast. I've been so obsessed with trying to get her ready for the battle against Central One that her body just gave out. This is my fault. I've been training her as a typical soldier when she is actually nothing like a typical solider. She's made progress, but she is missing that fire, that heart, that will make take the next step. Maggie's hit a plateau in her training and I thought I could push her through. I was wrong." Jason replied, "I don't know about anything having to do with the Military, the fighting, or anything of that nature, but I am curious about the writing all over her. It doesn't come off and it's not like anything I've seen before." Travis looked at Jason and said, "Our last hope Doc our last hope. I'll be in my office if her condition changes." Jason nodded as Travis left the bunker.

Once outside Travis gave a sharp whistle. Four guards approached and he said, "Each one of you take a side of the table no one goes near unless it is either me, Doctor Mannon, or one of the nurses. Anyone shoot to kill, and if I find out any of you decided to catch a peep at her or pull anything on her while she's unconscious pray that God takes your soul quickly. He will be te only one to save you from me. I'll be in my office."

Just then Maggie sat upright and she was wearing a white robe, but she could almost see through her body. She looked around and said, "Hello?" Maggie's voice had a strange echo quality as she said again, "Hello?" An elderly sounding voice said, "She is awake we may show ourselves." Maggie began looking around and suddenly realized she was floating above her body. She screamed, "AHHH!" Maggie tried to touch the ground but couldn't. Maggie then began to float around the room passing through the guards standing with their backs to her body. She said, "Naked again? Would it kill people to at least have me in a bra and underwear sometime? The writing only covers up so much." Then three figures appeared before her wearing brown hoods and robes. One of them in a soothing peaceful almost younger voice said, "Greetings Maggie we are honored to be in your presence."

Maggie looked at the figures and asked, "Who are you all the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future? Not to mention how do you know my name?"

One of the hooded figures in a female voice replied, "We are called the walkers. We have walk through the pages of time observing your past, present, and future. We have seen many things in our travels. You are one we have looked forward to seeing for sometime. We have seen your impact upon what will be."

Maggie shook her head and said, "That's it I'm dead, and instead of a bright light I'm having a serious hallucination. That's gotta be it I'm dead."

The elder one replied, "You are not dead Maggie Stibold we assure you have that. Your body is in a state of repair and rest. We are here to guide you and show you the end of your world. Of which you will be responsible for."

Maggie shook her head and said, "No I can't do it. First my grandfather ships me off, then Travis is on my butt 24/7, the people in this unit look at me like I'm a freak, and now this is. I'm done. Just take me now! I've had enough!"

Maggie is visibly shaken as the female touched her hand even so gently. It had a cool and relaxing feel to it. Maggie looked at where she touched and it looked as though it had a glowing heart. She looked and smiled a bit as the voice said, "An end is not necessarily tragic Maggie Stibold. Yours a journey that is just beginning, come let us show you what your world can be."

The young one took her by the hand and within a blink of an eye Maggie and the hooded figure were standing in a school room. Maggie looked around and said, "Oh we can't be here they…" The hooded figure almost laughed as he said, "They cannot see or hear us Maggie. We are safe to roam about." Maggie floated about the room and she said, "These children they look, they look happy." The young one replied, "Indeed, they are learning about plant life today and how it helps life here on Earth. Here in this place life is nurtured and cared for." Maggie studied the children as the passed through the room. She smiled at one child who had green eyes, but red hair like hers.

The female voice said, "Come this way Maggie." Maggie followed her as she walked through a wall and then suddenly was standing in a park. People are walking, the sound of children's laughter fills the air, and the sun is beaming on them. Maggie looked around for a moment and she said, "I know this place. This is…" her mouth dropped open as she said, "where our base is…" she shook her head and said, "I mean was. I really have to get used to thinking in the past tense with you people." The female said, "Yes, where once was a center for war and many battles is now a place of play and joy for all." Again Maggie smiled and said, "This place is more beautiful than I could've dreamed." Watching a red headed teenager with green eyes jog along the way made Maggie smile as the elder voice said, "Over to me Maggie."

Maggie took two steps and was in the center of a very busy rotunda. She was now getting used to people pass thru her but it was still unsettling to a point. Maggie looked around and saw a statue. It was Colonel Travis and a couple of other soldiers. Maggie floated towards it and just stared. There was a plaque that said, "Dedicated to the men and women of Iron Ice. To whom, we are grateful." Maggie looked at the elder one and asked, "Travis is dead?" The elder shook his head and said, "I cannot reveal too much about personal information, but know this Colonel Randall Travis is a legend of great honor and character." Maggie smiled and nodded as a red headed adult with green eyes walked down a flight of stairs looking at his watch mumbling to himself. Maggie asked, "Okay I gotta know who is he?" The elder chuckled and replied, "That my dear, why don't I just let the events unfold for you?" Just then a voice called out, "Randall." The adult looked up and said, "Mom!" Maggie looked over and saw…herself! She was certainly older but there was no doubt that was her. Maggie smiled as her future-self and Randall embraced.

With a flash Maggie and the hooded ones were standing in a white room. Maggie was a glow as she said, "I can't believe it! I'm a mom! We actually make it through! Thank you all! I can't wait to tell everyone!" The elder voice said, "Maggie when you return you will remember none of this. This was done to show you what you are fighting for." Maggie asked, "If I don't remember then? How will I know what I'm fighting for?" The younger voice replied, "You will know Maggie. Your heart is now aligned with your destiny. You are now ready to be more than what you could ever dream." The female voice said, "It's time my walkers." She turned to Maggie and said, "Ever forward Maggie ever forward."

Maggie closed her eyes and then when she opened them again she saw shapes and light. She heard a voice say, "She's coming out of it. Go get Travis!" Maggie blinked twice and stared at Jason. She said, "Your eyes…I've seen them somewhere before. Those green eyes…" Maggie smiled and said, "They're beautiful…"

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: The Mood is Write
Frantic knocking could be heard not only down the hallway, but throughout the apartment whose door was being pounded on. If the thing were not made of such thick wood, one would worry of it being broken to splinters. The fact that the knocking could be heard so clearing gave an inclination as to who was demanding entrance. "Remember sweetheart, you are stronger than you ever were before. Do try to not break anyone's door down." A thick German voice spoke as the door was pulled open. But it seems that his words fell on deaf ears as a slender form zipped past him. Rust colored orbs fell to the other figure in the doorway with a bit of annoyance. "You are supposed to be minding the little one. Making sure no serious damage is caused and they learn to control themselves." A deep chuckle flowed from the other as he removed his coat, stepping into the apartment. "Riley gets excited. And do you really think I can keep that one in line when they set their mind to something?" Both men looked over in time to see Riley signing wildly at a male of dark hair, great height, and eyes of burgundy-caramel starburst. Seems the motions were lost on the composer as he turned and looked to Riley's companion for help.

Jack set his jacket down and moved to the frantic young thing with long hair and a body that could make anyone question their own tastes. Taking hold of those hands, he gently pressed them together, telling the other to calm down and let him speak. He may have to teach the composers sign language, just so they could communicate with Riley. "Riley has something to show you, since we both are quite certain you have not been paying attention to the news. Go ahead, Riley." At once the other hurried off to turn on the television; the three men following along at their own pace. Once the device was activated, Riley hurried back to Jack's side, slender hands grasping onto his arm. Those beautiful silver-blue eyes glued to the screen as the news continued to cover the global story that had been going on most of the day.

--- --- --- ---

"We now welcome miss Olivia Belladute, a psychic known for bone and card reading. She claims to have also received messages of a global event that will alter the face of the world as we know it. Thank you being here with us. Now, how did you first receive this warning...this message of destruction?"

"It came to me last night at around 3:04am. I had been asleep in my home, when suddenly I found myself standing at my reading table."

"Excuse me, reading table?"

"Yes. It is the table I use to perform all of my reading; bone and card. It is blessed and marked in ways that allow me to perceive the messages far more clearly than any other time."

"I see. Please continue..."

"As I said, one moment I was asleep and the next thing I knew, I was standing at my reading table. Both my cards and my bones were lying in front of me, like they were waiting for me. Which is very odd because I never leave them out. They are always kept locked in a box until I need them. It felt like I was in a trance or a dream as I picked up the cards and began to lay them out. Once I was done, I took the bones in my hands, closed my eyes, and threw them on top of the cards. This roaring sound could be heard and a jolt went through my body. Once it was over, I "woke up" and looked down at what was on my table. Both the bones and the cards spoke of a great disaster coming to our world. They would not exactly tell me what, but I know that it will alter things for us."

"Thank you. Miss Belladute is not the only one who has received these warnings. Many psychics, sensitives, holy men, and other individuals of spiritual methods have been coming forth. All of them receiving the warnings at the same time, all of them shaken right to the core."

--- --- --- ---

The sound suddenly cut out as the one that had answered the door pressed the mute button. He looked over to the two, skepticism in his eyes, hands on his hips. "You are trying to tell me that a bunch of con-artists believe they all had the same vision and now the world is going to end? Kuhscheiße." Hands started to fly as Riley shouted at the other in the only way they knew how. Making Jack once again grab at those hands to keep any damage from occurring. "Wolfgang, you cannot tell me that you, a vampire who's lover is a resurrected human now turned fey, does not believe in psychics and visions. I'll admit that it is a bit odd, but there may be something to it. Things have been awfully quiet lately. In our world and others." Wolfgang kept his gaze on Jack before finally looking to his lover. The two seemed to have a silent conversation as they stared at one another. "We should look into this, Wolfgang." The vampire sighed, but agreed with his lover. "And you..." Finger pointed to the little mute that he had a hand in saving. "...need to learn to keep those hands of yours at a slower speed. It is hard enough trying to understand your signs when you go slow. Next time, I'll handcuff them behind your back and leave you out of everything." Riley was about to sign, but thought better of it; sticking said hands into pockets and just giving a smile. "Ludwig and I know a few individuals we can contact, find out if they know anything. Anyone happen to know a witch or sorceress? Maybe they have had this 'vision' as well."

"I have one in mind. Hopefully she is still around. Last I heard she was a good friend of my niece, close friends. Possibly one of the most powerful magic users I have ever heard of." Wolfgang, Jack, and Ludwig continued to plan as Riley focused those silver-blue eyes on the screen once more. Live video of a sinking ship was seen, people jumping overboard into the rough waves in hopes of having a better chance of survival. Along the bottom of the screen was text that made the young vampire wrap their arms around themselves. Making them believe that this was not just some elaborate hoax created by those wanting fame and fortune. Riley only hoped that something could be done to stop all of it.

'SHIP PROPHESIED TO SINK, NOW DESCENDS TO WATERY GRAVE!!'

@MST3K 4ever
Ooh. You mentioned having a hard time, but you did FABULOUSLY! Maggie is so awesome—super awesome!

@Ambivalent
Yessss. Hooked you! Fufufu!

Very nice stuff! This is cool! I like Riley a lot!