Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
[warning=yellow]
Sorry to spook you guys with the scary exclamation point just to the left, but I have an announcement regarding the status of my upcoming exercise series!

The Planning Practice (working title) exercises will be geared towards 1x1 players, and it will be posted in RP Mechanics, and it will include exercises with creating plots, presenting ideas, dealing with OOC difficulties in the planning process, overcoming hurdles, and more. These exercise types will be rotated or random, and each will include tips based on my experiences.

EDIT: I forgot to say this earlier, but Planning Practice exercises are going to be held off until I have ideas set up for at least the first several months. They may be once every two weeks, or every work with a simplified version every other week to let my brain work out the deets for the more in-depth exercises. I've got a list of topics and subtopics to include. Get yourselves pumped!
[/warning]

My Writing Explorations series of exercises are a chance for users to explore new concepts and practice the art of raising two fingers to Writer's Block while screaming obscenities to fickle muses: to rebel against the idea that a person requires a mythical force inside them to make new and amazing things.

No. Listen well, users: there is no being inside you waiting to be let out. You are the writer, and in this exercise, you are given a place to push not only against Writer's Block, but also against the forces of stagnation. Feel trapped in your genre? Explore a new one! Stuck with a singular archetype? Do something else! In this thread, you will not be critiqued, and I will read every entry and let you know what makes me happy about it. Should you wish it, I will happily offer my thoughts on how it might be improved, but I will not comb looking for fixes: this isn't the place: this place is for safely trying new things and indulging a love of writing.

Shake the bars of your cell block and roar, writers!

[fieldbox=How do I take part?]Curious about how this works? Good! Look over the offered themes and prompts and the bonus rounds, then think about them. Then, take your thoughts and get writing. You can write to one or more (or none) of the prompts, the theme in the thread title, the bonuses: hell, you can even cast aside all of what I offer if you get a different idea.

The whole point is "get writing!"[/fieldbox]

Themes:
  1. A rousing holiday song leads to a startling realization that leads to action.
  2. Gift-giving goes awry when a participant gives a disturbing gift to the wrong recipient, who is utterly horrified.
  3. All I Want for Christmas is You (and ASL collab version, because I've been researching that a lot lately.) Christmas inclusion optional.

Bonus Rounds:
  • Write in a science fiction setting.
  • The celebrations come at a price people consider horrific, but it's really not.
  • Someone complains about how they miss the old traditions.
  • Mrs. Claus (or another holiday icon) gets her butt pinched. To the shock of all, it's consensual.
  • For theme 1, someone has too much of something.
  • For theme 2, describe the disturbing gift lovingly.
  • For theme 3, include a non-speaking character and describe how they communicate in too much detail.
  • Make up a winter holiday.

SUPER Bonus Round:
  • If you make a holiday, use it in a roleplay or some other writing that isn't in this thread! You don't have to post it here, but it might be a fun idea to try.

Last edited:
Awww. For the first time since I decided to include all your prompts/suggestions in my response, I cannot. I'm not currently in any RPs (all of them died). However, maybe Sir Basil-Fur's storytelling circle thread will count in lieu of that, yes?

I wasn't clear on what you were pointing to on theme 3 (sorry!) - the song itself, in particular? Or mainly the sentiment expressed?

Thank you, Moody!

Awww. For the first time since I decided to include all your prompts/suggestions in my response, I cannot. I'm not currently in any RPs (all of them died). However, maybe Sir Basil-Fur's storytelling circle thread will count in lieu of that, yes?
Yep! I see no reason why it shouldn't. Maybe I should edit to clarify it can be in any writing that isn't this exercise? =D

I wasn't clear on what you were pointing to on theme 3 (sorry!) - the song itself, in particular? Or mainly the sentiment expressed?
Either or, or something else. I was just listening to it recently and got pairing feels, and figured since it got ideas churning for me, it might do the same for someone else. =D

Thank you, Moody!
Mhm! I hope you have fun with this one! Some of the bonuses are in there juuuust because of your self-imposed challenge. ;D

Other people should totally tell me their self-imposed challenges, and I'll go tough on them, too. ♥

UPDATE
Just edited the announcement at the top and updated the language of the super bonus challenge. Enjoy!

(( Writing this as a RWBY drabble because?? why not?? ))

Ruby56_zpsd64bd888.png

Snow flurries danced outside the small home, tossed by the brutal winds. It seemed that it would indeed be a white Christmas. As the storm raged, the fire burned and crackled, spreading warmth throughout the home. A soft smile bloomed across Ruby's features as she watched both friends and family mingle and chatter. It had been so long since she had been able to spend Christmas at home, surrounded by loved ones! In fact, it actually felt surreal... After everything she had been through, she was still herself.'

Her train of thought was interrupted when a pair of strong arms laced around her abdomen. The black-haired girl gave a surprised squeal as she was lifted off the ground.

"Don't look so down, lil' sis!" Yang cheered merrily, plopping Ruby back down a moment later. Ruby stumbled and wheezed for air. Man, Yang could really underestimate her own strength at times. But Ruby was just glad that her sister was back to her old self, and that they could spend the holidays together. "It's almost time to give out presents~!"

"...If we can manage to get everyone to settle down." Blake coolly remarked, emerging from god-knows-where. The faunus moved her gaze across the crowd, the smallest of grins settling upon her face. Even her mother and father were present-currently chatting with Taiyang near the tree... "I can't say that I'm not impressed." She said with a nod, watching as Nora and Jaune chugged punch, while Ren stuck by in case either fainted from drinking too much.

"Wiess should be able to manage it." Ruby stated. As though summoned, Wiess's voice boomed across the room.

"Attention, everyone!" The white-haired girl stood in the center of the room, her loud announcement causing everyone else to pause. seemed... happier than she had been. Ruby realized that everything seemed to have changed for the better. The trio walked over to the center of the room. Ruby flopped down on the couch, placing her hands in her lap as she eagerly listened. "It's time to give out presents!"

"Woohoo!" Yang grinned widely. "The best part is finally here!"

"The 'best part' is spending time with cherished loved ones." Wiess chastised, hands on her hips. The white-haired young woman nodded nonetheless. "Everyone has brought presents and properly labeled them. So I expect you all to line up in a neat and--"

"Let's go!" Wiess's speech was interrupted by Sun's loud yell, as he dove towards the tree, Neptune in tow. Immediately, the heiress fumed. So like her, Ruby thought with a grin, watching as friends and family alike began to mull towards the tree in a mostly orderly manner. Some people hung back to wait for the small crowd to thin.

"Ruffians." Wiess sat down next to Ruby on the comfortable couch. The cushions shifted ever so slightly under the heiress as she sat down. The white-haired girl tried to sound so miffed, but Ruby could clearly see the fondness threatening to break her ice cold facade.

"You know you love them." Ruby jibed, earning an aggravated huff. Wiess opened her mouth to give a stinging retort, when a screech rang through the room.

Nora appeared to have opened one of the presents, and was horrified at what it contained. In her hands, the redhead held... a very eerie looking, glass-eyed doll with chunks of hair missing. Ruby raised her eyebrows, equally intrigued and disturbed by the choice of gift. The room was so quiet, that she could hear a pin drop. However, the silence didn't last for too long.

"W-Woah!" Sun's astonished voice quavered. "That one was labeled wrong!" He clarified, both correcting the mistake and revealing himself as the gift's owner. Instantly, dozens of pairs of eyes were on the blond faunus, causing him to sweat just a bit nervously. "You see, Neptune and I have this thing each year---" Before he could make another blunder, Wiess firmly stood up, a scowl on her aristocratic features.

"That's enough! We don't want to know." The white-haired girl said in a scolding voice. The tension in the room seemed to dissolve. Out of the corner of her eye, Ruby saw Nora slide the gift very, very far away from her with the stick end of a candy cane.

Wouldn't be a proper Christmas without a few screw-ups, Ruby supposed.

@Mami Tomoe
Ha, that was a fun read! I liked it a lot. ♥ I don't really know the characters, but that's ok. The story's well-written and you made them seem familiar.

• Thank You
Reactions: Mami Tomoe
(Tristan Tarvernal)

I stealthily moved away from the disastrous mess that constituted my stepmother's public meltdown and headed for the bar in the nearby open area.

Nearing my destination, I wrinkled my nose as I saw the two expensively-dressed young women who posed there in stances of fake relaxation, preening for all to see and admire. According to the standards of our elitist society, they were beautiful. At a glance, I estimated that they were most likely insular, self-centered, and expectant of no small amount of appreciation and envy.

The russet-haired one on my right, clad in a lacy white gown that was embroidered with glistening metallic snowflakes, cast her eyes downwards as if she were oh-so-modest, but her smile was nothing short of a smirk and the way she held her body couldn't hide that she expected worship as her due (and I would bet anything that she was likely to turn ugly if she didn't receive it).

The other girl, with dark wavy hair and smokey eyes, displayed a frontal view to her audience and wore a metallic copper sheath that clung to her every curve. She rested her elbows on the bar in a calculated posture that thrust her chest outwards. She had her head partially turned towards her companion in an unnatural angle, showing her profile to best advantage. (She'd probably have a stiff neck later.). She kept her eyes on her friend, innocently pretending she was unaware of drawing attention.

However, her underlying expression had all the glee of a corrupt businessman that had just cheated his competitors and was ready to rake in his rewards.

Admirers, both male and female, had gathered; some content to admire at a distance, the more aggressive ones drifting in for the kill. I changed my direction to give them a wide berth and headed for the business end of the bar. (I couldn't stand women of that type.)

"Trist," called a well-known voice from behind me in too loud a tone -- and I was forcibly grabbed by the elbow. "Let me introduce you to the two most beautiful women in Old Manhattan." Malicious chocolate-brown eyes bore into mine. Heads swiveled in our direction. I recognized then, that these girls were part of his little circle; not that I generally paid much attention to Malcolm's snobbish cronies.

It was the day before Christmas and I knew one thing for certain. My brother Malcolm hated me more than ever.

I couldn't blame him. His world had irreversibly changed, and not to his advantage, just a few moments ago.

Although third-born and carrying questionable bloodlines, I had just become heir to the substantial Tarvernal financial empire, which had been built upon our ancestor's invention of the device which could quickly verify the Goldilocks zone for any planet, as well as extracting the other key environmental information that would ascertain the suitability for human settlements.

It was almost two centuries ago that, with money, advanced technology, political leverage, unsavory military partnerships, and no small amount of conniving, the House of Tarvernal had planted their flags on numerous "unclaimed" superhabitables. In what soon became a network with other great houses, both established and emerging, they conquered where they could and sought to form profitable alliances when they could not overcome the natives by force. (It would not be unfair to say that my family had suborned the lawmakers who passed the early laws and policies that governed our piracy between galaxies. One hand greased the other.)

Generation after generation did their duty in our family, with the eldest child (carefully schooled and groomed) traditionally ascending to become head of the House upon their 25th​ birthday. That is, until our generation.

My eldest brother, Shanal, had retreated to a free-love religious order in the Andes mountains several years ago. The sect was governed by a vow of silence as they raised llamas--saving the poor creatures from a looming extinction which had been accelerated by the stealth raids of ruthless iwakuians (alien fanatics who viewed the animal's flesh as a delicacy), made their famous fruitcake annually, and expressed themselves through interpretative dance. In fact, it was around this same time of year that Shanal had told our father that he didn't want to rule our little kingdom, he didn't want money, and he didn't want toys (spaceships, land rights, and the whole damn lot). All he wanted for Christmas was to join up with the head priest, his boyfriend Yuma Ragehair.

For some time after Shanal's departure, our father refused to see him, until finally he had relented last Christmas (not out of the goodness of his heart, but because his attitude made him look ridiculous to the other families) and invited Shanal and his boyfriend for a visit. Yuma and Shanal waxed a little too enthusiastic with their non-verbal communications expressed by dance. The pantomime of their shared love had an over-abundance of detail that had father clutching his chest and swearing never to have the two of them set foot in one of his homes again.

The year after Shanal's escape from tradition, the next-eldest, our sister, Mavreen, who had been quite the frivolous playgirl, shockingly ran off with a non-human in the pay of one of our greatest enemies. Within a few months of her desertion she had happily born her lover triplets (all with furry ears) and had celebrated her marriage to him off-planet (a ceremony that was non-binding in the eyes of our community).

Although father felt he had to turn his back on her publicly, they still secretly communicated via dad's scrambled holo system, as she had been quite his favorite. I had unintentionally witnessed their exchange one day-- with Mav expressing tearfully that she didn't understand why he didn't want her gift of grandchildren, lovingly given. Father was a complete bastard about it, of course, shouting that she had the wrong recipient for her "gift," and that she should had drowned those horrific animals at birth.

Mav went completely underground after that. Dad, never a magnetic personality to begin with, became more morose and unpleasant, while still keeping a firm hand on the reins.

My younger brother Malcolm grew increasingly cheerful however.

With Mav disinherited (and Shanal disinclined), Malcolm (ambitious even as a toddler), had no reason to believe that I would be named heir on my 25th​ birthday.

My ineligibility was due to my mother (dad's second wife) being an exotic half-breed, whom he shockingly married for love. It created quite the stir. The great houses placed enormous store on keeping their lines "pure." Among the houses, half-breeds were considered in the same light as formally-acknowledged bastards: they were tolerated in our society as long as their appearance and manners were pleasing and they knew how to play the game. Many of them formed liaisons with the purebloods that could be interpreted as that of courtesan and client. (How the purebloods loved to sup on illicit pleasures!)

I lost my white-haired, green-eyed mother when I was five. Two years after my mother's death at the hands of an outworld assassin who had targeted my father (and for whom she had sacrificed her life), Dad remarried a proper human--brown-haired, brown-eyed Lynna Daynen, sole heiress to the Daynen fortune which was immediately siphoned into funds of the House of Tarvernal. And thus were two great houses united. To further the joy, my stepmother quickly become pregnant with my brother Malcolm.

Lynna (a privileged, materialistic bitch) urged my father to send me off-planet to be fostered. They fought about it constantly, the quarrels often escalating into physical violence (with Lynna being the aggressor). She made my life hell and my bodyguards had to constantly be on the alert. There was a point, after the last attempted poisoning (perpetrator "unknown"), where I didn't think I would live to be fifteen, let alone twenty-five. I'm not sure if she believed I was a threat to Malcolm's place in line (whom she made sure to separate me from) or if she just despised me for my mixed bloodlines.

Somehow my father managed to put a stop to the murder attempts, but Lynna always found new ways to torment me. However, over time, I believe she grew used to having a despised mongrel in her household and became slightly bored with persecuting me, since there was so much else that cried for her attention – such as shopping, gossip, and political scheming.

It was during tonight's elaborate holiday party (costumes optional) that things had come to a head.

Lynna definitely had had too much to drink even before we left for the grand affair. That was unlike her. I suspected she let down her guard because I had turned twenty-five in November and had not been named heir. What a relief, that must have been to her and Malcolm!

Plus, no doubt her spies had reported my arrangements to travel to my mother's home world before the year's end—that is, within the week. I had always felt incomplete, not knowing more about that part of my heritage and father simply refused to speak of it. I didn't intend to come back home once I left, but I kept that tidbit to myself.

Teen-aged Malcolm became quite cocky after November and all eyes were upon him as the rising star in my father's empire. I, of course, immediately became the target of malicious remarks after my 25th birthday had come and gone. Most of these I could ignore, though it truly hurt when people, who I had naively believed to be friends, dropped me with a thud. I couldn't wait to take flight from this corrupted excuse of a world.

Before leaving for the party of the year (as they were heralding it), I celebrated my own private winter ritual.

I had not been able to find out much about my mother's people but apparently they worshipped a horned deity around this time of the year (sometimes seen as a man, sometimes as a white stag), traveling to his shrine with offerings, and whispering a wish to him for the coming year. When I was about thirteen, I had sculpted my imagined version of such a god and in memory of my mother, made such offerings as I hoped might be acceptable, and whispered my dreams to him.

Tonight I had whispered, "I just want to be free."

The party started decorously enough (of course, this was before the drink and drugs started circulating in earnest) with the usual chit chat and social climbing prior to dinner being announced. Then it turned odd, beginning with the current rage to dig up customs of centuries past and reenact them.

"Oh I do so miss these fine old traditions," twittered Albisho Melkior as he viewed the spectacle of the near-naked "first footer" entering the hall with pageantry, craning his head to appreciate the full presentation. (Dark-haired men were seen as lucky according to this superstition, but a fair-haired one was deemed unlucky.)

Then everyone was invited to view the "kissing ball." I stood well back from the proceedings, but to my disgust, my stepmother (supposedly dressed as Mrs. Santa Claus, in a form-fitting red silk outfit with a plunging neckline) was the first to place herself directly under the kissing ball as she flirtatiously solicited participation.

My father's neck turned red with rage and embarrassment when a junior partner in a rival house stepped forth, riveting his thick lips to Lynna's while people shouted salacious comments and suggestions. Letting his hand drift to her ample posterior, the man had the audacity to pinch her, while Lynna twisted suggestively and whispered something in his ear that put a lewd grin on his face.

I could see our hostess take alarm, her head swiveling from my father's face to my stepmother's antics, and she hurriedly announced that dinner was now being served (no doubt giving her chefs quite a shock), and would everyone please follow her into the dining hall?

Obediently following the rest of the crowd, I noted out of the corner of my eye that my father had grabbed Lynna and that they were close to creating a scene. Again. Fortunately, our hostess was enormously talented in manipulating her guests and managed to shepherd them into the dining hall without bloodshed.

Once seated, the guests ogled the enormously expensive decorations, the exotic delicacies set forth as appetizers, and the extravagant wine selection.

"My dear," cooed Lady Nosobrite as she sipped the Chateau Ladefeat 2016, "you must have paid a horrific price for this!" Those around her murmured in agreement, as they lapped up one of the rarest wines in existence.

Our hostess smirked and let the guests believe what they wanted to, but the fact was that her husband's scientists, while not yet developing a reliable method of time travel, had at least created a method that could retrieve (steal) small objects (say, an object as large as a wine bottle) from years past. It had not cost her one penny of her household budget. While I admired thrift, I was aghast when I heard that the fools were muddying the footprints of history with their petty larceny. How could they be so stupid!

(As you may surmise, I pretty much had my ear to the ground, as did most of the outcasts and half-breeds that attempted to survive in this cut-throat world.)

It was after the final course had been served that my stepmother, not content with embarrassing our house with her previous behavior, proposed a toast to her son Malcolm --"To the future leader of the House of Tarvernal!" and then, not waiting for her toast to be seconded, drunkenly burst into song (her dark brown hair now disheveled and tumbling into her half-closed eyes) – a rousing holiday melody of antiquity, still familiar to most of the assembled guests --"Deck The Halls."

However, horrifically, instead of singing "Deck the halls with boughs of holly," she heartily sang: "Deck the halls with heads of Tollies." (Tollies being one of the nickname for my mother's people.) I gasped as if someone had slid a knife into me and Malcolm smiled maliciously, while his mother continued soloing (joyously unaware that no one was joining in). "Tis the season to be jolly!"

My father walked over quickly and slapped her hard, while the other guests tittered, highly entertained, and our hostess momentarily buried her face in her beringed hands, as her composure finally shredded.

"Enough!" my father roared, his face suffused with anger. "I have named Tristan as the heir of the House of Tarvernal and I'll suffer no disrespect from you, woman!"

Lynna turned deathly pale, while Malcolm looked like he had been shot in the vitals. "What? When! No, you can't have!!!" wailed Lynna, her hands curved like a harpy's claws upon my father's suit jacket.

My father smiled, a hard unpleasant smile. "It was finalized an hour ago," he stated crisply. "Declared, witnessed, and now sealed. It's done. And there's no going back. I've also filed for a divorce, my fine lady. So, I advise you to mind your manners and give your obedience to the new head of the house if you want to continue receiving an allowance."

I had seen my father slip away from the dinner table for a lengthy absence and return, but had no clue that this was what it was for.

In just as much shock as my unpleasant step-relations, I slid away from the table, away from the watching eyes, and headed for the old-fashioned bar near the ballroom as my stepmother began to scream hysterically and smash our poor hostess's crystal on the gleaming floor. I needed to be away from Lynna's madness and my father's revenge on her. I needed to think.

What I didn't need was any more of Malcolm's malicious little games. Ever.

True, I was in shock and all at sea. I was unsure where my future lay or how I was going to proceed. But I no longer had to play the subservient fool or anyone's victim in order to merely survive. Something my spoiled popinjay of a brother hadn't seemed to yet grasp. As they say, old habits can be hard to break.

Malcolm and his little friends were in for a shock if they believed they could lead me around by the nose. And a very surprising New Year....

(Moody, this should cover all challenges except for the superbonus which I'm not in a position to carry out right now! XD )

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ravenfrost
Man, as ever, you sucked me in. Darn you! This is another one for which I'd love to see more. =)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks, Mood-a-fur! I'm happy that you enjoyed reading my long-ass response.

I really like my main character here (Tristan) and it's the first time I've featured a character that is asexual (which was a strange skin to be in, but I totally understood him and how life had shaped him); although it wasn't stated explicitly in the tale. I'd like to write more about him someday. He's shut down in a lot of different ways, but never turned his back on life, completely. Definitely, he's a character slated for changes and self-discovery on many levels, now that he's come into power. (Plus, I didn't mention, but he's quite beautiful and I'd enjoy putting him through his paces. Maybe someday.)

Despite your harsh (sadistic? cruel?) challenges :cloud9:, you have done me an important service here and I groaningly thank you for that too. (Checks fictional bruises on self.) (Edit: Just kidding about the harshness - hopefully that is evident!)

Outside of (1) erotic writings (how can people call it smut?, it's soooo beau-ti-ful) which I definitely write to please others as well as myself, (2) poetry (fanatical there, when I used to write it), (3) my moldering abandoned drafts of novels which I haven't worked on for years, (4) school assignments in days of yore, and (5) RP -- I've never written to please anyone but myself. I haven't put best effort into story contests because I'm extremely non-competitive--but I do like to participate by (as I've said) providing the bottom part of the pyramid!

When I started doing your exercises it was just a lark to do something fun (since my RP groups here were dead or dying) and I didn't care how I wrote. However, I quickly got to the mindset where I didn't want to give YOU a piece of totally random crap because it would be cruel to make you read it. Just not fair! Especially when my responses are so lengthy.

I still have not gotten myself back into form. It's a wrench for me, honestly, to discipline myself--like someone that stopped using their legs and now, reluctantly, steps out of their wheelchair. Plus, I still indulge in my silly little jokes in-story which, I know, really don't belong in the flow of the tale. But that will be the last to go!

In short, I've stopped being quite so lazy and careless in my fiction writing because of you. Isn't that amazing?!

Lastly, I'm happy there haven't been any (substantial) trope challenges lately. I simply don't relate to those, I can't. They will always be alien to me in a not-good way. I know it's weird of me and I'm prob. the only one that reacts this way. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Mood-a-fur! I'm happy that you enjoyed reading my long-ass response.
Of course! ♥

I really like my main character here (Tristan) and it's the first time I've featured a character that is asexual (which was a strange skin to be in, but I totally understood him and how life had shaped him); although it wasn't stated explicitly in the tale. I'd like to write more about him someday. He's shut down in a lot of different ways, but never turned his back on life, completely. Definitely, he's a character slated for changes and self-discovery on many levels, now that he's come into power. (Plus, I didn't mention, but he's quite beautiful and I'd enjoy putting him through his paces. Maybe someday.)
:o I knew I liked him for a reason. Aces unite! But yes, he's fantastic. I really enjoyed him, and he seems like he'd be interesting to see deal with the bullshit life throws his way! =D

Despite your harsh (sadistic? cruel?) challenges :cloud9:, you have done me an important service here and I groaningly thank you for that too. (Checks fictional bruises on self.) (Edit: Just kidding about the harshness - hopefully that is evident!)
-blushes- Glad to help. ♥

Outside of (1) erotic writings (how can people call it smut?, it's soooo beau-ti-ful) which I definitely write to please others as well as myself, (2) poetry (fanatical there, when I used to write it), (3) my moldering abandoned drafts of novels which I haven't worked on for years, (4) school assignments in days of yore, and (5) RP -- I've never written to please anyone but myself. I haven't put best effort into story contests because I'm extremely non-competitive--but I do like to participate by (as I've said) providing the bottom part of the pyramid!
(I dunno about others, but I call it smut cuz mine is coarse and foul!)

When I started doing your exercises it was just a lark to do something fun (since my RP groups here were dead or dying) and I didn't care how I wrote. However, I quickly got to the mindset where I didn't want to give YOU a piece of totally random crap because it would be cruel to make you read it. Just not fair! Especially when my responses are so lengthy.

I still have not gotten myself back into form. It's a wrench for me, honestly, to discipline myself--like someone that stopped using their legs and now, reluctantly, steps out of their wheelchair. Plus, I still indulge in my silly little jokes in-story which, I know, really don't belong in the flow of the tale. But that will be the last to go!

In short, I've stopped being quite so lazy and careless in my fiction writing because of you. Isn't that amazing?!
The blush is real. •///•

I'm really glad my lil exercises have helped you so much, though, and it's super flattering that you're using them to push yourself to improve and get back to top form.

It really is amazing, and just... GUH! -offers a big squishy hug-

Lastly, I'm happy there haven't been any (substantial) trope challenges lately. I simply don't relate to those, I can't. They will always be alien to me in a not-good way. I know it's weird of me and I'm prob. the only one that reacts this way. XD

Ha. xD Fair enough. I liked to include them because they were fairly easy, but I'm having more fun coming up with stuff on my own or using the stuff on pinterest that grabs me, but I keep not using. ♥

• Love
Reactions: 1 person