Writer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Greater Good?

Reactions: Brovo
- When your idea of a fun shopping trip is picking up 19 books in one store.. Hey, I only spent 10 bucks. SCORE!

- People complain that you don't pay attention because you just have to finish that last chapter, damn it!

- You laugh. Out loud. While alone. Writing a scene.

Trying to remember what your character did with their overcoat and whether or not they still have it on in page 16.

Your character being extremely intelligent so you're stuck stressing over quantum physics and the existence of white holes.

Using the wrong pronoun for a character and not realizing it until much later.

Accidentally using a similar plot device that you are using in a different story.

Time travel...it can get really messy really fast.

Really getting into a fandom and making a character for the fandom before you catch up on it only to realize that you somehow came up with ideas already in the show in almost the exact same way and now people who are caught up on the fandom think you're just copying ideas from characters you like.

That feeling you get when you really want to paint a picture of what your imagination has sprung out, but your ability to write and work with words is insufficient to describe it, example, in this roleplay I'm trying to describe a castle, but my knowledge of such things isn't enough to do more then give a vague impression of what it looks like

Same with when sometimes you try to describe a character's face and more, but your knowledge of anatomy is poor enough you don't know how to describe how something looks.

Knowing what to write about, but not knowing how to put it into words.

Having way more ideas than you will ever have time to write.

Spending too much time thinking about worldbuilding and/or characters and not enough time figuring out what the actual plot is going to be.

And, especially for RP's:
Forgetting minute details about your character (especially when it comes down to wondering whether or not they have certain belongings with them), and skimming through pages upon pages of old posts trying to figure out what you said before.

Having someone read over your shoulder while you're writing and getting sent to a consular because they mistook your character's point of view for your actual thoughts.

You were sent to counseling for writing a story? o_o Huh, when I wrote about a school shooting I just got a "good story, maybe a bit too gory though." I made my teacher say eew when he read it out loud in class :D You need cooler teachers D:

#1: Going through my own writing, and facepalming every time I use an emphasis word that has no actual meaning. The sentence is exactly the same with or without them, and I just look like I'm trying too hard to up the ante by using them. "Very" and "really" come to mind. (He struck very hard, and really fast.)
Oh man. Yeah. Guilty as fuck.
--

Getting to emotionally invested in a character, realizing he or she needs to die at some point for your narrative to come out properly.

You were sent to counseling for writing a story? o_o Huh, when I wrote about a school shooting I just got a "good story, maybe a bit too gory though." I made my teacher say eew when he read it out loud in class :D You need cooler teachers D:
I'm imagining this was one of those very sheltered/sensitive teachers.
Not a teacher who could actually value the diversity of authors and writing styles.

Yep the school I went to was somehow the most relaxed and uptight I've ever seen. Someone fires a gun outside let's have everyone go outside and check it out. Someone is writing about things that seem slightly dark let's send them to a consular and call home.

Getting to emotionally invested in a character, realizing he or she needs to die at some point for your narrative to come out properly.
tumblr_m1h5w4z4ts1qe7736o1_500.gif

When you write a story fresh from your mind, then re-read your work and realize how much detail you forgot to put in as it made perfect sense at the time.

Robin Hood by Tarantino. Robin gets shot at the end, leaving his bride with only one eye and a katana. The credits roll to the music of "Thunderstruck". Critics rave about it being either deep and awesome, or a kitchy desruction of everything the classic movie was. Tarantino gets even richer.

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
Having a perfect, almost movie-like scene in your head but then getting smacked with writer's constipation and you can only describe the scene in a small insignificant and mis-represented poot.

See even writing that made it smaller than it sounded in my mind. Woop.

Trying to prepare for NaNoWriMo and accomplishing nothing but tearing multiple pieces of paper into rage confetti.

Pitching an idea to a partner and getting a response that while they like the idea a lot they have problems going on right now so they won't be on in a while and you end up feeling like a bit of a jerk for feeling disappointed that you don't get to talk about the idea more and bothering them while they have something much more important going on.

Having something on in the background while you're writing and realizing about half way through you've been typing mostly what you've been listening to.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ethys
When you intend to only briefly write about a fantasy culture and then end up going in waaaay more depth than you need for something that is not plot relevant. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.