Would you stay at home if money wasn't an issue?

Would you stay at home if money weren't an issue?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer is no.

I do enjoy things in life, going out and taking a part of society. I might be a little lazy, but spending time at home and doing chores will turn boring and tedious after a while. I have my homey traits, I do enjoy baking, cooking and getting things done, but only to a point. I'm not housewife material.
Nor would I enjoy gaming all day either, I like gaming, crafting, writing but not all the time. They're my fun and enjoyable things.

Also: I know myself well enough to state this: I would turn into a very bitter person if it went on for too long with me being the homemaker, especially since I'm not a particularly good homemaker.

Well, one half says yes because damn comfortable life yo, but the other part of me still needs to go out even if I don't like it.

It sounds tempting. I love to read, and if I have that opportunity where I could afford all the books I could want - on any subject and any genre - it would be great. And I also love writing and drawing. But those last two are my outlets. As much as I'd like to make writing a career, though?

I may be an introvert, but I still want to see the world. Yep. I want to travel, maybe see different places, meet different people? And I can't have that by staying at home. I wouldn't be a good homemaker, either. Right now, I know a lot about cooking from watching cooking shows and watching my parents, but I hardly ever get to actually cook. And I don't like doing all the household chores, not all the time and not all on me. If my partner works, I'd probably have to take charge of housekeeping and that would suck.

I probably wouldn't work in the traditional sense but I would definitely need something to keep me occupied and going. I love to learn and try new things, so I would probably do things like odd jobs, or a job that I enjoyed, and work very seldomly. Staying home all the time isn't really appealing to me. Other than that, I would probably also paint, which is essentially a job in itself as it is sometimes stressful and I do get paid. I think I'd be happy living a more relaxed lifestyle, but I wouldn't want to just stay at home and not have another job/hobby that pays/education/etc. I do love doing house work and the idea of being a mother, though...

When I was younger I would've said yes. In fact, this happened a lot during summer vacation in highschool. Here's the rub, though:

All your gaming friends will be gone from 9-5. Welcome to purgatory.

I would be happy with staying home. But just because I am not working, it would not mean I would be at home, never going out. I would still go out and enjoy life as much as I want!

I was in a very similar situation: I was on funemployment, and it was fucking awesome. For the first 3 or so months. Then I got bored, rethought my life, and went back to school.

As much as I loved spending all day living off my UI benefits + savings, playing video games, and doing a lot of thinking, I still wanted to do something with my life. I just didn't want that thing being pointless admin/clerical work for an asshole of a boss whose sole reason for existing was to make my life a nightmare for a third of my day, just so he could make himself look good to his boss.

Ask me a year ago, and I woulda said YES!

But sadly, I got bored with my life. Anime/video games are only fulfilling for so long XP Granted I still do both quite allot XD but I can't be stay at home much anymore, I need interaction and I kinda hate being alone for long periods of time... Suddenly... For no reason >.<

I haven't read any responses because I'm lazy, so I'll probably be repeating what someone's already said.

But anyway.

No. I would not stay at home and here's why:

I have that situation right now, in a manner of speaking. I'm 27 and have yet to get a job and still live with my parents who can afford to support my anxiety-fueled socially inept ass. Living comfortably, having everything provided for you? It sounds nice in theory but it's not. It leaves a person feeling unfulfilled and pretty much just fuckin' useless. You're not succeeding. You're not testing yourself and overcoming problems. These things are necessary for a healthy mind!

Personally I feel guilty for not putting in my fair share of work. Cleaning and cooking isn't enough in my opinion. Not for me.

So no. Living a life where everything is provided is not something I want and need to break free from. :/

• Love
Reactions: Hellis
Personally I feel guilty for not putting in my fair share of work. Cleaning and cooking isn't enough in my opinion. Not for me.

I feel your pain DX I don't know why I feel guilt for "leeching" off of my dad DX he's mah father, it's his responsibility to take care of me in time of need (and vice versa) and it's not like I'm a resource hog, I don't eat nearly as much as other friends I know, I don't ask for money or objects, and just make due with what I have already. So I don't know why I feel guilt for something that should be a given DX

I like my house. I like being in it. I'm an introvert and too much social interaction is goddamn draining and I'm an anxious mess that doesn't like to use the bus.

But... I still don't think I could stay home all the time. I don't know if that means I'd want to get a job (certainly not a minimum wage one) but I'd take the chance to go to school (if I hadn't already gotten a degree) and I'd probably end up using any extra dough we've got lying around to have some fun. Kids aren't really high on my 'want' list, so it should be fine if I use some money to go watch movies and explore and, in general, get out of the house.

I should have realized sooner that this was also asking in regards to being a Stay-at home spouse sort of role.

In which case my answer would still be yes, if you look at my list of potential careers I'd like the highest any of them get is the #2 slot.
#1 has always been reserved for stay at home Dad. I had a stay at home Mom growing up, I know how important having such a parent can be, and I want to be there for all my children's growing up if possible.

Though I'd still have those outings I mentioned in my last posts, they'd just either happen with family, or when the family is otherwise busy (ex: Kids at friends, at school etc).

+One outing I forgot to mention. Vacation(s) to Japan.
Though I already do plan to go there one day in the future with my friends back from High School anyway's.

++Like Dawn mentioned, I'm also in that situation of mainly just sitting at home with parents now without a Job (though I'm only 21).
So I can somewhat relate to the "Doesn't feel productive and challenged" part.

However, I've personally found two counters to prevent this from being something that eats at my self-concious.

1) Looking through possible careers, I'm having trouble finding anything that really motivates me atm. So although going a full working life might sound nice, I know in practicality it would quickly become a "Gah! I hate this job!" sort of deal. (And no, I'm not just planning on sitting full time being lazy as a result. I'm looking into doing a Generalized Semester or year at college later, so I can dip into a number of things and see what takes my fancy).

2) I'm always able to make my own projects to give me some level of purpose without it being job related.
Atm that's been a lot of table top homebrew, including practically making my own tabletop system entirely for the group I DM currently (though it does base itself off of Star Wars D6).
All your gaming friends will be gone from 9-5. Welcome to purgatory.
Not with the Internet. :P

Last edited:
I have always been a working oriented person. I enjoy working, and fear I would go crazy if I didn't work.

However, I recently have been given the option to stay home a raise my soon to be born baby. Though I'd love to spend all day every day with my child, and it'll be devastating leaving her when I go back to work, I still have to go back. In our household I don't particularly need to work. However, if I want to finish my schooling I need to go back to work to pay for tuition. Therefore, I will be returning to work after the baby is here.

All in all... I have to work for no other reason than I would probably go stir crazy and probably get depressed.

Reactions: Razilin
Seeing as how I stick to the ideology that the Man should be the one making the money in the household (I'm not saying he should be the sole bread winner, but he should be doing most of the work... unless there are some circumstances where he can't), no.

I have always been a working oriented person. I enjoy working, and fear I would go crazy if I didn't work.

However, I recently have been given the option to stay home a raise my soon to be born baby. Though I'd love to spend all day every day with my child, and it'll be devastating leaving her when I go back to work, I still have to go back. In our household I don't particularly need to work. However, if I want to finish my schooling I need to go back to work to pay for tuition. Therefore, I will be returning to work after the baby is here.

All in all... I have to work for no other reason than I would probably go stir crazy and probably get depressed.
yay productivity and advanced life skills, aka, adulting

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Guess this doesn't apply to me as I'm single and live alone, which for me, is quite frankly perfect. I dislike people and I can roll around in a pile of my own cash anytime I want.

I have that situation right now, in a manner of speaking. I'm 27 and have yet to get a job and still live with my parents who can afford to support my anxiety-fueled socially inept ass. Living comfortably, having everything provided for you? It sounds nice in theory but it's not. It leaves a person feeling unfulfilled and pretty much just fuckin' useless. You're not succeeding. You're not testing yourself and overcoming problems. These things are necessary for a healthy mind!

So no. Living a life where everything is provided is not something I want and need to break free from. :/
Hello person in almost exactly my situation and mindset.

Seeing as how I stick to the ideology that the Man should be the one making the money in the household (I'm not saying he should be the sole bread winner, but he should be doing most of the work... unless there are some circumstances where he can't), no.

Out of curiosity, would you date a woman who was the high income earner in the relationship?

Out of curiosity, would you date a woman who was the high income earner in the relationship?
Oh yeah, definitely. Just because I think I should be making most the money, it doesn't mean I won't date anyone who makes more than me. Like I said, I just think it should be the other way around.

Reactions: Dervish
Status
Not open for further replies.