Would You Prefer to Know How or When You Die?

Would you prefer to know how or when you die?

• Total voters

Dusk

the eye of the beholder
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
  2. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
  5. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Most days, most hours
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. No Preferences
Genres
Adventure. Angels and demons. Apocalyptic. Arthurian. Comedy. Dystopian. Fantasy. Historical. Horror. Post-apocalyptic. Romance. Science fiction. Supernatural.
Both suck a lemon, and I honestly dont want to know, but if I knew when, I feel like I could prepare my loved ones and set my current goals to reasonable expectations (ie. I'm currently suffering through this PhD program with the expectation that I will live longer than the next 5 years and will be able to enjoy life for at least a bit. If I'm not, it makes no sense for me to stay, so fuck that I'm dropping out).

Under the presumption that this is knowledge that is unlikely to change the when or how I die, regardless of what I try, I'd rather not know how, bc then I will be anticipating pain scheduled for an unknown time at any given moment. If I find out I'm going to die by a car accident, for instance, I'd either have to walk around with the ever present and crippling anxiety of that knowledge, or drop out of society entirely and live the remainder of my life on an upper floor as a terrified shut in with no life to speak of.

I don't want to know either but if I have to make a choice I choose 'when' for the same reasons as stated. The 'when' will allow me to plan and organise things accordingly as needed. Say goodbye, make sure that all of the funeral proceedings are dealt with so that none of my loved ones have to be harrowed with that, get an invitation list ready, and make sure to leave behind a will. Things like that.

The 'how' is an useless question to me other than that it will make me twiddle my thumbs and inspire a few morbid jokes that will upset everyone. The 'when' will still give me morbid jokes in the form of a countdown, but hopefully will also ease the pain a little.

I would most certainly like to know how I die, that way I can avoid any possible situations that could lead to that specific death. Example would be, maybe I got run over by a train in my car. I would avoid train tracks and such in a way to avoid that death, or maybe I go out by a car accident. I could just not drive a car, switch over to a bike instead, or just walk, get my steps in. Unless I absolutely have to drive, then I will, but I'd have to be extremely careful.

Then, if I learn I die from old age in a peaceful way, I'm comforted knowing that my family won't have to see me go out as rough.

Knowing when only gives me a stressful countdown. I don't know how I die, it'll hit me by surprise. The when could be in two days, and that day I stay inside, but I have no idea how I die. I could go out with a heart attack, right then and there.

I just feel like the 'how' would help you go more cautiously, and then the 'when' is just a ticking timebomb.

I've always wished to know if I have a specific Expiration Date. Makes for more efficient day-planning. Life-planning, even.

If I knew how I'd die but not when, I'd be so paranoid of doing anything that could possibly lead to that death. If I know when I'm going to die, at least I'd know how much time I've got left. Much easier to plan that way LOL

• Thank You
Reactions: firejay1
I don't die :3

Once as a Teen, I decided that I either die young or never.. and ever since I hit 30, I knew it will be "never"

I don't think I would like to know either. What I would? If reincarnation or an after life is a real concept. I would truly like to know that if I close my eyes for the final time in this body if and when I will be able to open them in the next, whether that be a physical one or not. I think if I could just know that, it would make passing a whole lot easier. Before anyone gets the wrong idea. I am not suicidal. I just know I have a very real fear of death or maybe a very powerful self preservation instinct. I almost fell from a height while I was in Kentucky during my mid teens. The experience was a traumatic one to say the least.

Last edited: