LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
Writing Levels
  1. Douche
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
So, you'll probably die, or be so physically altered that you're unable to ever come home. But you'll be the first person on Mars. Just how much of a misanthrope/Star Trek fan are you?

Thousands of volunteers have already contacted Mars One to take part in the $6billion mission in 2023.

A seven-month journey in a tiny, cramped capsule doesn't sound like an attractive prospect - especially when you realise it's a one-way trip.

But 10,000 people have already contacted Dutch organisation Mars One to volunteer for a trip to Mars planned in September 2022 - due to arrive at the Red Planet on 2023. Return to Earth "cannot be anticipated nor expected", the firm says.

The search for astronauts formally launches today on YouTube and Twitter - in a reality-show-style contest to be among the first humans to live on another world. The age of volunteers so far ranges from 18 to 62, the firm said.

Four volunteer astronauts will depart Earth in a tiny capsule in 2022 - heading for a colony that has already been built by twin robot "Rovers".

The travellers will arrive to begin their new lives in April, 2023. The company aims to fund the $6billion mission using media and television events - pointing to the fact that the Olympics earned $1billion in revenue per week last year.

One of the founders of the company is Paul Romer, formerly of Endemol, the creators of Big Brother.

"In principle, getting humans to Mars is possible now," says Bas Landsdorp, founder of Netherlands firm Mars One, in an interview earlier this year.

The astronauts will face challenges including radiation in space during the journey - and gravity which is just 38% of Earth's. Some scientists predict that the volunteers' bodies will change so radically they could no longer survive on Earth if they returned.

"We have received more than 10,000 emails from over 100 countries, volunteering for our astronaut selection programme. A small percentage don't know it's one way, but most do."

Mars One claims that its plan involves existing technologies - and is less challenging than other plans such as billionaire Dennis Tito's plan to "fly past" the Red Planet.

"Our plan involves a stay in space that's pretty much the same as ones astronauts have already done on the International Space Station - seven months," said Lansdorp.

"The challenges you face include using a rocket to push humans into space - we already do this for the Space Station. Mars is a bit more challenging, but the Apollo moon missions also required more energy. You also need to protect yourself against space radiation, but again this is a known risk."

Mars One's plan would include robotic missions to find the perfect location for a colony, then a Nasa-style 'Rover' which would build the foundations.

"Before we send humans there, a second Rover will fly in 2020," said Lansdorp. "The robots will ensure there is oxygen, breathable air and water. Then our first pair of colonists will depart in September 2022, arriving in April 2023."

Elon Musk, co-founder of PayPal, says that the eventual goal of his SpaceX company is a colony of 80,000 people on Mars - although he admitted it could cost $36billion.

"Once there are regular Mars flights, you can get the cost down to half a million dollars for someone to move to Mars," Musk said in a speech to the Royal Aeronautical Society.

"I think there are enough people who would buy that."

Mars One aims to raise money through television events.

"Our challenge is that we have to get investment up front," says Lansdorp. "We estimate it will cost $6billion to get the first two colonists to Mars, then $4billion per pair thereafter. But the whole world will be watching. The revenue for the Olympic games was $1billion per week - and this will be the first time humans actually leave the Earth."

As exciting as it would be, I have an immense fear of heights. And space is as high as you can get. Not to mention that I'd have unusably slow internet speeds, limited supplies, and I'd be alone and isolated.

Didn't you know? I have volunteered for this :3
Naah, I haven't xD I let other people test it first and then I can go when I know its 90% safe x3 But even then I wouldn't go, I like it on earth :D

I must survive, no matter what, until they have arrived on Mars. I need to know how this ends!!! *Locks myself up in my room for 10 years* NOTHING WILL GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

Nahhh I won't go on this particular one, going tot he moon was hard enough.

Okay joking aside. I would actually volunteer for this, provided I had a chance of making it! xD
Not doing anything else of usefulness with my lie, maye I'll turn into the Fantastic Four, heck who knows Maybe I won't need to come home. maybe the earth will go thorugh some major changes and y'all will have to come wot me! BWAHAHAHA Besides, I've always wanted to see a Buggalo

I was planning to, then I got something one back that I don't want to leave behind.

Uuuuhhhhhm, go to mars at this point in history? No. As it turns out, I am pretty attached to my family, friends, and life right now. Though, even in the days where I wanted to escape, I don't think I would have been brave enough to jump on board. o___o I have this craaaaazy fear of pain and death, and that mission to mars is chock full of life and body threatening issues.

But I LOVE that this might actually happen in my lifetime. It's really awesome getting to see major points of history that you know are going to be written up in books and taught to future space children.

Oh hell no. I'm terrified of space - intriguing as hell - but still absolutely piss in my pants terrified. I am perfectly happy to keep my feet on the ground.

Why not? We won't have this planet for much longer. Might as well.

Mars One is too cultish sounding to me, so nah.

Been to mars, it wasn't that great. Now Saturn...that be where the party is. >.>

You wouldn't be alone. The plan is to send two people to start with, after they've sent some robots first to build them some shit to live in.

Adam and Eve meets Total Recall.

I could see myself considering this... just to be part of history... to feel that I have done something truly extraordinary with my life... But, even with my wife beside me, I think I would need to know that there are other people coming to join us in ten or twenty years time... or that we'd have a chance to go back. I don't think that kind of separation, even with another person to share it with, would be good for mah brainmeats.

*is found in the Martian rock 2000 years later, his skeleton hands wrapped around his wife's throat*

Mm. No. I'd be scared shitless.

I would love to leave everything and anyone behind to do this. I must, do this.

Jeeze, that sounded horrible. Was that too much honesty? haha

It would be certainly an interesting experience, but the time for it is just not now. According to the text Asmo has posted, it is possible that there is no way of returning from Mars, which is a major downside to this expedition. Sure, it is a ground-breaking step, but I do not want to leave everything behind permanently, especially because on the red planet, help is a good fraction of an astronomical unit away. What if a piece of equipment suffers from catastrophical failure? It would mean the death of everyone involved with this project.

So yes, I would definitely stay out of this one. A trip to Mars with a guaranteed return, however, is tempting enough for me to seriously consider.

Yes

It would be the most amazing thing most people would ever get to do.

Ya'll are nuts. o_o

I wouldn't give this up for the world. Sure, maybe we're not in a great position right now but at least we know we have a foundation of civilization here. I'm not about to jump on a ship and be stuck in it for seven months only to never be able to come back to Earth. Like Diana turns out I'm kind of attached to my life, friends, and family here. And when I'm forced to think about it in this context? Turns out I feel somewhat attached to this rock of a planet. Earth may not be great now or in however many years but it's the one planet I know for a goddamn fact we have.

No thanks. I like the fresh air, clean water, and working toilets we have here on Earth.

i agreee with the person above me lmao and id miss all my family and friends so i to shall pass on this opportunity lol

I would do it, even if there was no return trip. It would be an amazing experience one that would be remembered for a long time to come, and I doubt anyone in my family would tell their kids about the relative that went to Mars. I suppose there is a good chance of me dieing during the trip or after it, but I think it would be worth the risk. Besides with over $6 billion invested in me making it to Mars I think I have a good chance of surviving. Not quite sure how I would feel about the loneliness factor. I am sure I would bond quite well with my companion, and I have never had a problem being alone before. But this is about as solitary as you can get.

As well I think I would miss the internet and I wouldn't be able to play any competitive games with people back on earth. Isn't the time delay around 14 minutes? Either way it will be a very exciting moment in history.