Worlds Apart

"You knew me for 16 years; you should know if I'd look good in gold or not. Remember that time I wore a gold tracksuit to the school dance when we were... I dunno, 13? I thought it looked cool. I looked ridiculous. Gold doesn't suit me. You need to be cool to pull something like that off, I'm not cool right now," he snorted, resting his head on his hand as the other arm rested on the table, his eyes tacking in the bruises around his wrists calmly. He had grown so used to seeing bruises on his body that the sight didn't concern him, and the mild pain really didn't bother him either. It was a reminder that he had fought hard to escape the restraints and, above that, it was good evidence to show the leader when they found him.

He wasn't fighting at the moment. He was recalling past memories with a quiet smile on his face, but it wasn't genuine. Recalling the past he had fought to forget wasn't easy to do, but it was necessary if he wanted to look like he was still Nico; still the boy Eros knew deep down. It was important to do that to eventually get his freedom the right way.

"...They're going to find you, Eros. My family. I'm not reminding you to be smug about it; it's just inevitable. I don't know how you're going to fight them off," he admitted quietly, his smile conveniently fading so he didn't look too happy about the idea. "Now you look strong, but... you aren't naive enough to think you can kill them, are you?"

"I'm smarter than I look," he replied simply as he flopped the bread into the pan, glancing over at the other. "I've had years to plan this out, don't underestimate me. I've studied your whole thing, saw what they can do. If I do die, I'm going to make sure that you're the old you."

Easing back, he took in the other, unimpressed. "Want some tea? Coffee? I don't know what they'll have where you're going and I want to treat you to as much television and snacks you want. It's the least you deserve."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"After spending six years with... a 'cult' in the middle of nowhere and killing god knows how many people, I 'deserve' to be treated, do I? Look, whatever. I don't need deprogramming, I... I'd rather you do that than some stranger I haven't got a connection to, Eros," he reminded awkwardly, genuinely growing concerned about being sent off somewhere. If he stayed in the town he grew up in, his family could find him sooner. Being sent off somewhere else would only make their search for him more difficult, and he didn't want that at all.

"Let me stay here, I... I don't want to leave," he began weakly, his voice growing louder in desperation. "I... you can tie me up all day so I don't do anything, if you want. I just want to stay here and... and watch that Netflix thing you mentioned, and just... talk to you. I can talk to you properly if you want! I... I'll tell you whatever you want, just don't send me off to some fucking stranger. That won't help me."

"Why, do your friends know where I am and they can take you away?" He murmured, his flat expression growing to a grimace. He knew the other's tactics and he wished it wasn't a trick... though he couldn't let himself fall for it. It would compromise everything and he couldn't afford it.

"I could come with you, for a little. I'll come make sure you're okay and drive out to see you, I'm not going to let you just be abandoned, I would never do that. It'll work out though, okay?" He reassured before sliding over the first French toast over. "I have syrup if you'd like, too."

Staring in genuine horror at his former friend, Nico's hands slowly clenched into fists. Once he realised his facade wasn't being taken seriously, there was little point pretending and pathetically continuing the acting. It would just be sad and a complete waste of time. Instead, he grabbed the fork tightly in his hand, debating whether he could move quick enough to jab it in Eros' neck. Once he decided he couldn't, he released his grip, sitting back against the chair with a tired frown.

It was only when he heard the knock on the door that he sat up with an intrigued smile. His family wouldn't ordinarily knock, but he assumed that they might change up their usual habits to get access to the house. The least thing anyone expected was for them to knock, after all, so it seemed like the sort of thing they might do to change things up.

"You gonna go answer that, Eros~? Go on, be a big brave boy and see who it is~"

Taking a carving knife from the drawer, he hid it behind his back before peeking through the peephole, his eyes narrowed. Cautiously opening the door, he didn't pretend to have an eager face. He kept it primarily closed, though, just enough to take the person in.

"I'm busy," he flatly replied. If it was the deprogrammer, it would just be a representation of his sour mood occasionally. If it was a vampire, it would be pretty hard to penetrate a thick metal door.

"Well, that's a charming way to speak to a guest, isn't it? Your mother said I ought to pop around and fetch you over some homemade jam and fresh bread, straight out of the oven. She said you'd appreciate it," came the reply, the figure of a middle aged woman with a basket of the said goods stood in confusion opposite him. Given the small population of the town, everyone knew everyone and the town kept close with one another. The woman -Mary- had been a teacher all her life, having taught Eros and Nico when they were young. Because of the town's size, she was also a baker, making her rounds each morning with various goods for her neighbours. Eros was no exception.

"Now, this'll be lovely toasted, with some melted butter and a nice spoonful of jam. Not good on the waist, but life's too short, isn't it?" She laughed, her head tilted in an attempt to make Eros out through the thin crack. Only when she heard Nico deliberately sobbing for help did her smile drop, her eyes wide in horror. "What's going on in there-- Is someone hurt? Should I call Gary, ask him to pay a visit? He's a wonderful doctor, I'm sure he could... help."

"Oh, thank god it's you," he admitted with a sigh of relief before stepping out of the apartment, quickly closing it behind him with a small smile. Shooting a glance towards the door, he shook his head dismissively, his smile turning apologetic.

"I'm just watching a horror movie, Mary, don't worry," he reassured quietly. "You know I love your bread, it's always nice with some fresh juice in the morning. No... need to worry about me and definitely don't have Gary put all that energy into it," he pleaded. "It's just... sorry, I'm expecting some pretty bad characters to come around soon. I pissed some people off at school and... they're not very nice."

Mary had no reason to doubt Eros' explanation. She liked the boy, as she did all her ex-students, the majority of whom (like everyone else) had remained in the close-knit town. However, she had always found Eros a little odd, in the best way. His hobbies and interests weren't necessarily hers - she always remembered stumbling upon him reading a Satanist book in class and being horrified by her discovery, so she thought it was perfectly normal for him to be enjoying a horror movie at 7 in the morning.

"...There are people after you? Have you told your parents about this? This doesn't sound great, Eros. Are you in trouble?" She grimaced as she handed over the various goods, her frown deepening. "Is there anything I can do to help? I don't want you getting hurt, hm?"

"I can handle myself, Mary, please don't worry," he insisted quietly as he looked over the goods, grateful for them. "All I ask is that you be safe. I don't... know who'll they'll hurt. I don't mean to scare you, I just want you to be safe. So... lock your doors whenever you're home, keep your pets in as much as possible and just... please be carefill," he pleaded, all with a small smile.

"Thank you so much for the goodies, Mary. I have to go and work on my Paper and I'm sure the world's best English teacher wouldn't want to see me skip on that," He reminded, daring to offer a quick peck to the older woman's cheek. "Please be safe."

This sounded far more serious than just a few pissed off kids from school, but Mary wasn't sure she wanted to know more than was necessary. She was sure Eros was exaggerating a little, but in the chance he wasn't, she made a note to herself to take extra protection until Eros was certain the threat had passed - whatever threat that was, anyway.

"...Right, yes, of course I don't want you losing concentration. Maybe turn that horror movie off and you'll focus more? Unless your assignment is on horror-- I have no idea what you study, Eros. It's all so different to how I studied in my day. It was all classic poetry and literature..." She began, stopping herself before she wandered down her usual tangent. With a final wary smile at the sound of whimpers and cries of help from inside, she offered a wave and headed on her way - much to Nico's annoyance.

"That woman is fucking unbearable. What is she, an idiot? There's someone crying for help and she wanders off?" He spat, having moved to conceal a knife in his pocket during Eros' absence from the kitchen. He needed a weapon and a small knife came in handy if he needed it later on. "...I never liked her, she used to say I lacked imagination."

"You weren't very imaginative," he defended, his own carving knife not needing to be hidden anymore. "English wasn't your thing, you were a jock. I remember that I had to help you with your papers and we almost got in trouble because of plagiarism. I think it's more of a commentary on my quick-wittedness than her ignorance. Also fuck you, I thought you were too edgy to call for help?" He snorted, rolling his eyes.

"You're very confusing, Nico. You're so emotionally inconsistent... though I guess that's what happens when you're malnurished and lacking sleep. Whatever, I guess."

"Fuck you, I was good at English! You helped me; I didn't copy your work that much. I mean, who was the one that came knocking on my parents' door because you needed me to help you with Biology. Let's not pretend that I was useless because I was a 'jock'," he muttered beneath his breath, growing offended at the remark. For someone who had been determined to leave his past in the past, he was getting overly mad about something he should be able to easily shrug off.

"I'm not 'emotionally inconsistent', that's... bullshit too," he emphasised, scowling over at him as he wiped his mouth free of crumbs. "I'm just being me, it's not my fault if you don't like that."

"Emphasis on 'that much'," he reminded with raised brows before deciding to take a bite of one of the cookies, humming in content. "You're also very emotionally unstable and inconsistent, why else would you join a cult? We can bring you to counseling if you want, too, though that's not the point of all of this," he reassured. "Want a cookie? Her cookies are amazing," he gushed, despite his flat expression.

"When you finish, I'm going to set up the deprogrammer to come," he declared after a pause. "We gotta get the ball rolling and get you into proper help. I'll wash your clothes in the meantime so you can have them back if you want... for some reason," he critiqued, glancing at the dirty clothes to the side.

"I don't care, invite over the deprogrammer, have him drag me away to a horrid little motel. I don't care, this is a waste of time," he stubbornly responded, having little to no intention of saying anything else to him. He had shown that he was prone to temptation, and that he still felt mildly emotional regarding his past, but he was equally certain no stranger could deprogramme him - namely because he didn't think he needed deprogramming in the first place.

It didn't mean he was completely relaxed when the deprogrammer eventually made an appearance an hour or two later, grimacing to himself at the stranger when he headed into the living room to lock eyes with him.

"I don't need this, Eros, tell him to go away," he grunted, attempting to sit up, though when he had been tied up once again in preparation for the drive, it wasn't easy to do that. "...I'm fine, I don't... this is stupid."

"So is joining a cult yet here we are," Eros replied callously as he watched the deprogrammer hand him over a packet to sign. He was exhausted and wanted to be anywhere but his apartment, so signing things to get it all moving was ideal. Shoving a few of his things into a new bag, he included the other's old clothes with his own. Adjusting his bag, he gave the woman a wary glance.

"This will be fine... right?" Confirmed Eros slowly, his face holding a frown as he awkwardly adjusted his weight. "He won't get... hurt or anything, right? Like, I did some research and he won't be... hurt?"

"Whatever happens, happens," replied the deprogrammer, her tone ominous as she absently grabbed her things for the road. Motioning for Eros to grab Niko, the goth did just that and moved to help Niko to his feet.

Admittedly, he hadn't expected the deprogrammer to be a woman, nor for the person to be young. He was expecting an elderly man, someone he could perhaps win around by appealing to their gentle nature. Instead, he found himself grimacing at the sight of the stern woman, her vagueness not helping relax him at all. He was determined none of this would work, but mild panic was setting in about his ability to escape - it looked less likely than it had five minutes ago.

"So you're the bitch wasting their time trying to rewire my brain, yeah? Good luck with that, sweetheart," he grinned, thrusting himself forward to get in her face. He doubted it would unnerve her if she was as professional as Eros had made her out to be, but he wasn't going to make this easier for her. If he could make himself a nuisance to push at her buttons, he would - he wanted to see her lose her cool with him, if only for a little amusement. "I ain't moving, you're gonna have to drag me out, bitch. I ain't making this easier for y'all."

"Do you honestly think you're the worst case I've ever dealt with? That's hilarious," the woman replied flatly, face blank as she stared right back. After a long pause, she did just that. Niko wasn't particularly heavy to begin with. That didn't even account for her strength, which only helped in the easy transportation of the man. Before they headed out, though, she motioned Eros to cover Niko's mouth with tape.

"This is for your own good," he insisted, looking away awkwardly once the tape was on. "We can just... yeah. We'll get this all over with and stuff can get back to normal. We can start all over again, you know?"

If there was one thing Nico hated, it was having the inability to talk. At least talking helped with his genuine anxiety and fear, but having that taken away from him only made him panic more. He had been taught that he and his family were invincible, that they always had control, but now that control was taken from him quite brutally, how was he supposed to remain tough and indifferent? Anything could happen to him and he had no opportunity to defend himself from it. Appealing to Eros with desperate glances was useless, he realised, though it didn't stop him trying to dig his heels into the ground and struggle as much as he could.

Once in the car, realising he had no chance of getting out, he slumped against the seat and glared out of the window. If his family did find him soon, he knew they would be mildly irritated with him for being overpowered so easily, and the thought of upsetting them only piled more guilt onto his shoulders.

Taking a seat beside Nico in the car, Eros locked the seatbelt for them both neatly before side-glancing to Nico, his cheeks a soft pink in frustration at the whole thing. He wasn't soulless, he knew that the situation was morally questionable... but he knew this was what needed to happen. He grew quiet and kept his eyes locked on the window from inside the unmarked van, only to grow uncomfortable by the silence.

"I know this is scary, just... relax," he whispered, his eyes eventually trailing back. "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you, okay? You're not going to get hurt, we're just... going to get you help. This'll be good for you, okay? Like I said, we can live a normal life after that. I would love to show you to my friends, we could go on proper dates... as friends, to be honest.'"