Worlds apart

He felt the warmth of her hand as she gripped his hand. This was probably the last time he would feel human warmth for a long time. He wondered a bit if he would be able to return to the human world before Rachel's life ended. But he was pretty certain that Zuul would keep him in the demon world at least until Rachel was gone. Blake had always returned to the demon world before and never let humans make him stay. He hadn't really planned to stay in the human world when he came a few years earlier, but soon he noticed that he really didn't want to leave.

Blake looked a bit surprised at Rachel when she asked him the question. "Demons that regret is most likely to die. Feelings like sorrow and regret would destroy us, that's why we're not feeling it. Humans can live with it because your life is so short so your regret and sorrow wouldn't be able to build up to the same amount as us during a lifetime." He explained. "But, I think.... that... I do regret." He continued but didn't tell her what.

He regretted that he came to the human world and stayed. He knew that Zuul would at least make someone come and get him if he stayed too long, but still he stayed. And whatever he did now Rachel would get hurt. If he didn't leave then Zuul would probably kill her, if he didn't stay then Rachel would be sad. He regretted that he came to the human world, or maybe he regretted that he was nothing more than one of Zuul's pawns.

Rachel considered his answer, again weighing the pros and cons of being human versus being a demon since her mind was still partially on being able to 'switch sides'. She thought about how he had described the emotions as if they were the worst things in the world, and tried to imagine how it might be to have sorrow and pain building up over hundreds of years. It did sound awful. She wasn't sure what he did regret, but he didn't seem willing to say. Maybe it was something that she really didn't want to know, despite how badly she wanted to ask. There was no way of knowing what he was thinking - she had always been bad at that.

"So, um.. What's the official story I should give at school? Moved away? Car accident?" she asked once they were halfway to her house, trying to keep her tone neutral.

"I have already left papers to the school about me transferring." He explained. "Tomorrow you will probably hear from the teacher that I have left for a school in Japan." He continued. The early 20th century had been easier, even if he disappeared it wasn't like anyone would think it was weird if the police didn't find the missing person. But during the 21st century it would be very weird if a lot of people disappeared without being found, so demons had started to be more careful when they were leaving the human world and made sure to fake their death or making a transfer far away so that people wouldn't try to find them again. But it was never any problem for those who came to the human world for only some days to party and feed, people would just think that they had been on a vacation and then went home.

"Japan, huh? Alright," she said with a slight nod, walking along in silence until she realized they had reached the end of her walkway. She faltered, glancing at her house before turning to look back up at Blake. "I don't know how to say goodbye like this," she admitted quietly, her voice shaking the tiniest bit.

The house got closer and closer for every step they took, he could probably see it long before Rachel. "You don't have to say goodbye. I can make it so that you only remember me as a guy in your class, a guy you only talked to a few times but didn't really know. Someone you barely noticed had disappeared before they pointed out that he had moved away." He told her. But that was the last thing he wanted to do. He wanted her to remember. But he didn't want her to suffer because he had left.

"I would still have to say goodbye.. because I would have to go from how we are now to not knowing you," she said quietly, stopping and turning to him. She hesitated, then pulled him into a tight hug and laid her head against his chest. This was impossible - she already felt like she was breaking to pieces. "Do you think I should? Have you alter my memory, I mean.." she asked quietly, tipping her head to look up at him sadly.

Blake felt like saying no when embracing her. He didn't want her to forget about him, he wanted her to remember him. Even if he weren't going to return he felt like it would be better if she remembered him.

"You wouldn't feel sad if I did, but you wouldn't remember everything we have done together either. For a human it's part of life to feel sadness, and you are often good at forgetting the sad things fast as new things comes into your life. But it's also in human nature to try and avoid those feelings, so its just natural if you rather forget."

"That isn't making my decision any easier," she complained, shaking her head. She unwrapped her arms from around him and stepped back, half turning away as she tried to think straight. "I don't want to forget about you, but I don't want the pain either. I just.. I just don't know," she said, shaking her head again and turning back to him. "I guess.. it would probably be safer for you, if I didn't remember.. though nobody would believe me anyway, they'd just lock me up and throw away the key."

Blake put his hand on the back of Rachel's head and stroke her gently. "I could just erase the last few days, then you won't know I were a demon nor would you remember Michael." He told her. "I would just become the friend that was too afraid to tell you that I were going to transfer school."

"But I would still miss you and try to find out where you transferred to. You're my best friend, it's not like I would just give up if somebody told me you switched schools without warning. I.. I care too much to do that," Rachel said, looking up at him. "I think I really don't have a choice.. I have to forget you completely.. and lose a huge part of my life."

"I understand..." Blake said. He tried to hide how sad he actually felt by forcing a gentle smile on his lips. Then he took her into a gentle embrace before kissing her. She wouldn't remember it. He didn't know if that was a bad or good thing. As he kissed her he laid his left hand on her forehead and a small light shone and Rachel passed out. She would probably not wake up before the next day.

He took her in his arms and walked to her house. He climbed up on the house and opened the window to Rachel's room and climbed into it. He laid Rachel on the bed and then laid his hands on her head.

Blake saw her memories, everything that had happened during the years they had been together. As he erased everything of it he felt how the tears started to flow down his cheek. Zuul was probably watching, how long would he tease him about this? threehundred years? Five? Blake didn't care.

The memories were slowly disappearing from her mind and soon the only memories of Blake in Rachel's mind were those when he were sitting and half listening on the lesson. And a few when they ate lunch together. But no memories of them going to the cinema nor the park nor anything else. Everything they had together was gone.

Then he left her. Zuul was standing leaned against a tree, showing blake a gentle but demonic smile.

The next morning, Rachel woke up to her cell phone alarm for school going off in her pocket. She rolled over groggily and smacked at her pocket until it turned off. A moment later, her eyes snapped open and she sat up. How had she gotten into bed fully dressed? She frowned a bit, then glanced at the calendar. Maybe she fell asleep doing homework or something. She shrugged and got up, then stripped down naked and walked to the bathroom to take a quick shower since she was already running late.

When she got out, she brushed her hair up into a quick ponytail and pulled on a pair of jeans with a plain dark purple sweater. She had her headphones on, of course, and her player in her pocket. Grabbing her backpack, she ran halfway down the stairs and paused. She had a strange feeling she was forgetting something..

Breakfast!

She ran into the kitchen and grabbed a muffin, then left the house and started toward school.

As the lesson started barely no one noticed that there was an empty seat in the classroom, mostly since that person usually skipped classes anyways. The teacher came into the classroom and silenced the class.
"From today we are going to be one person short in the class, Blake Strandford has transferred to a school in Japan." The teacher told the class before he started the lesson.

At the same time Blake was in the demon world, and his mood were going down for every second. Even he himself had to confess that he acted like a human child. He refused to eat, mostly because he didn't feel like eating. He refused to work, mostly to get the old geezer mad. And he refused to go up from the bed for as long as he could when his servants tried to wake him up.

Blake was in a constant bad mood for a week before the old geezer, also known as the demon king Zuul, came on a visit. "How long will you keep this up?" He asked, but instead of being bothered by it he smiled. Zuul was known for not loosing his happy mood for anything.
"Who the heck picked up a pig from the street, throw it out." Blake said irritated to one of the maids in the room.

"Ouch, you're making me sad." Zuul said and dropped his smile to make a fake sad face before returning his mouth to a smile again. "Do you miss your little friend?" He asked as he walked closer to Blake. "She has forgotten you completely and here you are, not able to stop thinking about her. So emotional, so pathetic." Blake launched his fist towards Zuul but there was no surprise when he were able to dodge it. "You should stop be so... Human." Zuul said before stepping out, leaving an even angrier Blake to his a bit scared servants.

____
The next day (1 week and 1 day after Blake came to the demon world)

Blake were still angry after the previous day and his servants barely dared to go close to him. The day had only just started when a messenger ran into the room Blake were sitting in. As Blake listened to the messenger his eyes widened both horrified and furious.

___
The human world, 8.30 the class is starting.

"Good morning everyone. As you can see, today we have a new transfer student." The teacher started and Zuul bowed to the class.
"Hello everyone, my name is Michael Strandford, I'm brother to your previous classmate Blake. You will probably be relieved to know that he didn't like it that much in Japan so he is coming back here. He didn't say when but it should be any day now." Michael smiled to the class and he noticed immediately how the girls were staring at him. But he weren't that interested in them, it was only one girl he took interest in. His red eyes went to Rachel and his smile became a bit wider.

Rachel had gotten to class early, as was her usual. She didn't talk to anybody before classes so nothing held her up. By the time the teacher walked in to greet them, she was doodling music notes along the outside of the paper she planned to take the History lesson down on. She glanced up and saw the teacher was joined by a new kid. He was actually pretty attractive, though she knew that probably only meant he was a complete asshole. She listened as he explained who he was and said that Blake was coming back.

Ugh, great. The kid who sat there and did nothing all class was coming back.

She rolled her eyes and looked down at her paper, doodling again for a moment until she felt eyes on her. When she glanced up, she met Michael's gaze. After a brief pause, she returned his smile. Hmm..

Michael walked towards the empty seat beside Rachel, of course he knew that that seat were Blakes former seat. That's why he sat himself there.

"So Blakey, how long will it take you to get here I wonder. Hope he isn't too slow, this human being wouldn't be fun to play around with if you weren't around."
He thought to himself. On the inside he were dark, with a vulgar attitude and the mind of a kid. On the outside he could be whatever he needed to be. Charming, nice, innocent. If Blake could act as well as Zuul then maybe he would actually have gotten further than friends with this girl. So many years in the human world just for a girl, and he got nowhere anyways. And now she didn't even have her memories of him. Though it wouldn't be hard for Blake to give her her memories back again. Well it wouldn't have been if Zuul hadn't planned to seal the memories off. Blake was a strong demon but not stronger than the demon king. One touch and Zuul would be able to seal the memories without her even noticing it.

As Michael sat down he turned to Rachel and smiled so he almost looked like a cute puppy. "You are Rachel right? You are the cutest girl in the room so I thought it must be you. My brother talked a lot about you. He didn't really dare to talk to you because he liked you. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have told you that." He held his voice low and sounded as if he really were a clueless kid that just said the first things he thought about. But in his mind he were a great demon that planned every word carefully. "Sorry I talk to much, people always complains about that." He blushed a bit and then reached out his hand.

"I'm Blake, ehm.. but.. you already knew that." He said and started to withdraw his hand slowly, pretending that he had thought that he made a fool of himself. Hopefully she would shake his hand just to show him that she didn't mind or because she felt bad for him or something like that. But even if she didn't touch him now he would still get many chances later.

Rachel watched Michael take the seat right next to hers, then returned her gaze to her doodling. Interesting. One brother leaves, the other arrives, and the first was going to return. If Michael was sitting there, Blake would be sitting elsewhere, which made her happy - he never did anything productive anyway. She glanced at her paper and realized that she was doodling a pair of eyes. That confused her, because they weren't like the eyes she normally drew when she did cartoon figures, and she didn't recognize whose they were. Before she could think on it too much, Michael spoke to her and she looked over at him.

"Blake liked me? Really? Huh, he never gave any sign of feeling anything other than boredom," she said, smiling a bit. Had that guy actually liked her? Weird. She shrugged a little and held back a laugh at Michael's blush. It was sweet, really. She took his hand before he could pull it away and shook it gently. "It's nice to meet you, Michael. Yes, I'm Rachel," she said, then withdrew her hand quickly as the teacher snapped a book against a desk to get them to pay attention and stop talking.

As Rachel took Michael's hand he placed a seal on the already locked away memories, something she wouldn't even notice. If Blake would try to bring back her forgotten memories of him it would fail. Maybe if she broke the seal herself somehow then she could get back the memories, but few humans actually treasured their memories so much so they would be able to break a demons seal all on their own. He didn't think that this little girl would be able to do such a thing at all.

Of course he wanted to speak a bit more to this girl but the teacher interrupted. He just had to wait. It would probably take some time for Blake to get there anyways, so he had some time to mingle with this little cutey before he would arrive.

As the break came and all the students left the classroom, Michael decided to try and talk to her again. "So my brother never talked to you? He must have been too shy. If I hadn't known about you from my brother then I would probably have been too shy to talk with you too. A cute girl like you must have tons of guys already swarming around you, anyone would feel insecure. Your boyfriend is a lucky guy."

"Too shy? Your brother always struck me as the type who just didn't care," Rachel said, standing up and packing her books and notebook away in the bag that she carried from class to class. She slung it over her shoulder and turned back to Michael, a faint blush on her cheeks. He thought she was cute? Really? Most of the guys in her school didn't even know that she existed, and the ones who did only mocked her. She was nothing like Carrie, that stupid blonde cheerleader who threw herself at any guy she thought was attractive. Michael was probably going to be kissing her in the hallway before the day was over, she thought bitterly.

"I don't actually have a boyfriend, but thank you. You're sweet," she said with a smile. "Maybe I'll see you around. Good luck with your new classes," she added, then pulled her headphones up and wandered out of the classroom. The music helped her to relax and think, even if it was only between classes. She went to her locker, humming to herself as she switched out her books for the next class and grabbed her wallet since she'd be going to lunch without coming back here after her next block. That done, she slammed the locker shut and headed off.

Michael watched the girl walk away, thinking about how mad Blake would be when he came back. Michael had even put a small spell on the portal that took demons to the human world so that it would take him some time. At the time Blake would be able to get there, Rachel would probably like Michael enough to make Blake jealous. All he had to do was to play his cards right and soon he would make Blake realize how stupid it was for him to stay in the human world because of this little girl. At that time he would come back willingly and stop acting like a child.

The demon lord didn't really care about attending classes when Rachel or Blake wasn't there, but he wanted to give the impression of being e better student than Blake. He were a great demon lord so of course it wouldn't be a problem of making a copy of himself from his own Shadow. He just let the copy go to classes instead of himself and at the same time he got all the information he wouldn't even need as fast as that part of his shadow returned to him again. The reason while Blake probably hadn't used that method were because even though he's strong he still would need to use his whole shadow to take his place and if someone noticed that he didn't have a shadow during that time then it would show that he weren't really human. A demon didn't have a real shadow since the demon world also were a kind of shadow world. There was more to a shadow than meets the eye.

He kept on the roof while his shadow walked around in the school, he both kept an eye on the shadow and on Rachel. If they would have the same class again he would make sure to attend it, if she left the school he would make sure that he happened to run into her on the street. And at the same time he kept an eye on the portal, or the dimension border that it was also called, to make sure that Blake weren't getting threw too early.