Worlds apart

"As if anyone would think I would actually pay attention to a lesson even if it looks like I'm doing so. Blake thought to himself. He was happy that Rachel hadn't said no. Since she knew that he were a demon and it still was early after the big surprise he hadn't really thought that she wanted to be too close to him. At least not somewhere dark.

They didn't have that many lessons together that day, and most of the recess were just long enough to get to the next lesson. When Blake had a lesson that Rachel weren't in he simply just didn't go to it, instead he went up on the roof and slept an hour until the lesson was over.

When Blake's lessons was over he waited for Rachel at the front door of the school. As he waited he started to feel a presence close by, one that shouldn't be there.

"You shouldn't be here before tomorrow." Blake pointed out even though the demon hadn't showed himself yet.
"Oh, don't worry about me, I'm just observing. Just pretend that I'm the wind, I'm just making sure that you're not running your way." Zuul said still not showing himself. Blake couldn't give an answer to that since students started to walk out of the doors and would hear him talk to himself if he started to talk with Zuul again.

"Don't get in too much trouble today, Blake," Rachel said when the class was over.

She went through the day without paying much attention to anything. Every time that her mind wandered, she found herself thinking about Blake and how this movie after school would be the last time she ever got to spend with him. Would she be able to move on after he left? He was her best friend in the world - and if she was being honest with herself, he was really her only friend. The only one that seemed to care about her in the least, that is.

And now he was leaving.

She gathered up her books after her last class and dumped them in her bag, wandering through the rush of students all running to get out of the building. Well, time to get this over with. She frowned to herself and slung her bag over her shoulder, then walked out and looked around. Blake was easy to spot, even with everybody running all over the place. She went over to him and gave him a small smile. It was forced, but at least she tried. She just had to ignore the fact that he was leaving.

"You ready to go?"

All students rushed out when the last lesson had ended, Blake didn't really understand why. It wasn't like any of them would do anything special after school, at least not anything they had to run for. Soon he were able to find Rachel in the crowd and he waited as she walked towards him. She smiled, but it seemed a bit forced.

"Of course." He answered and started walking, his steps were much slower than usual which he didn't notice first. Maybe it was because he wanted to spend as much time as he could with Rachel.

"If you want to, then I can make you forget about me." Blake said, even though it was hard. "I can erase your memories about me just before I leave, that way it would be like I were never here." He continued. He didn't want to do it, but at the same time if he wouldn't come back then there was no reason for her to know about him. It would hurt less if he had never existed for her.

"Forget about you?" Rachel repeated, looking over at him before looking away thoughtfully.

Did she really want to forget about Blake? He had been such a huge part of her life for so long that she could barely imagine him leaving. She knew it was going to hurt horribly, but.. Did that mean she should just forget about him and go on like it never happened? What about everybody else? They'd still remember him, but he didn't seem to have made any other friends here, so nobody would even care. She frowned a bit and finally looked back at him.

"I'll.. I'll think about it," she said slowly, not wanting to even think about him leaving yet. "Right now I just want to focus on the movie, okay?" she asked, tentatively taking his hand in hers.

Blake waited for her answer, he understood that it was a hard decision, at least for a human. For a demon it would simply have been a no since most of them didn't care about the past. They lived so long lifes so looking to the past would only hurt them. They must always look into the future. On the other hand, it was hard to erase the memory from a demon, and it wasn't like there was any reason to do so, so there was no reason to even consider it.

"Yeah, lets do that." Blake replied and smiled. This was probably the last time he would feel her hand in his. He felt sad just thinking about it. But in some hundred years, or maybe thousand, he would forget. Even though he didn't want to. Why couldn't he have been born as a human instead?

"Lets go." He continued and started to walk with her hand in his. He really hoped that Zuul weren't going to do anything, but you could never be certain with that old geezer. Couldn't someone just throw him into the abyss already? At least all his enemies would be entertained by it. And Zuul had many enemies.

"Okay," Rachel agreed, glad that he didn't pull his hand away. She walked along with him, heading down the sidewalk. Her house was between the school and the movie theater, so she could drop off her bag before they went. The movie probably had a little while before it started anyway, since they usually didn't go right after school ended. Most of their customers were school kids.

"Here, hold on a minute. I'm going to put my bag away and grab my wallet," she said once they reached her house. She let his hand go and walked to the door, heading inside and upstairs to dump her bag off in her bedroom.

Blake felt his heart race a bit when he held Rachel's hand, it wasn't like he hadn't done it before but now it may be the last time he would get to hold it. As she let go of it to get into her house Blake felt like grabbing her hand again and pulling her into his arms then telling her not to leave. But that would be kind of childish though, so he didn't do anything except smile and wait for her.

"Are you going to erase her memories?" A too familiar voice sounded.
"Leave Zuul." Blake hissed and he heard Zuul's laugh echoing, even though no human would be able to hear it.

As Rachel got out of the house again Blake smiled and held out his hand for her to take. "I hope I aren't keeping you from doing some homework that should get turned in tomorrow or something. I don't want you to be influence by my bad behavior." He joked.

"If your bad behavior could influence me, I would have already gotten failing grades in all of my classes or dropped out of school. At the very least, I'd be at the bottom of the student scale and the teachers would all hate to have me in class like they do you. I think they're suspicious of you cheating since you never do a bit of homework and do well on the tests anyway," she said with a smile, taking his hand in hers and lacing their fingers together. Her hand was cold, but his wasn't, which felt really nice as they continued on their walk toward the theater.

"I really hope that my scholarships pull through, or I'm never going to be able to afford college," she added. It wasn't the type of thing that she should be talking about with him, yet.. Talking about normal things made her feel better. Somehow, it made her feel as though she could ignore the fact that he was leaving her forever, as if ignoring it would make it so that it wasn't real. Why wasn't it really that simple..?

"What can I say? Geniuses are always misunderstood during childhood." Blake joked. "A demons life is so long so in order to not forget important things that happened hundred of years earlier we must be able to have a good memory." He explained. "Which kind of makes us to geniuses when we are in the human world." He then pointed out with a laugh.

"I'm certain that you will get the scholarship, you are way to stubborn to give up until you get what you want anyways. There's no way they will find someone better than you." Blake commented with a big smile. He probably wouldn't be there to see her get the scholarship, but he was certain that she would be able to get it.

"I really don't think I'd call you a genius. That's giving you way too much credit when you can't even manage to finish a worksheet on time," Rachel chided with a smile. "It's good that you have such a good memory, though. I can't even remember things from give years ago, let alone hundreds," she added, her thoughts drifting to his offer to erase her memory of him. Forgetting Blake..

"If you buy the tickets, I'll buy the food and drinks," she offered as they walked up to the doors of the theater.

"Sounds like a good idea." Blake replied. He wouldn't mind paying for everything but at the same time he knew that a lot of women in the 21st century wanted to be equal with men and that meant to pay for themselves too. Every time Blake had been in the human world he had adapted to how everyone behaved. In the beginning of the 20th century when he were in the human world he always payed if he went somewhere with a woman even if they were just friends. Though at that time they were often not even friends since he didn't really befriend humans at that time, he mostly got close so that he then could eat of them.

"Speaking of geniuses, some of the worlds most famous geniuses have actually been demons that decided to get to the human world and live a life as humans. Can you guess which famous German genius actually were a demon? A tip, he is often called the father of modern physics." He knew that he probably shouldn't talk about such stuff with a human, but it wasn't like she would be able to tell anyone about it anyways, and he were interested in how she would react. After living for such a long time many demons got bored of life and decided to either get into as many fights with other demons as possible so that someone would eventually kill them, or they decided to get to the human world and live as a human. After living as a human without using any kind of demon powers for years it's actually possible for them to become human and die of age. But very few are able to actually block their demon powers even if they wants too.

"Okay now I know that you're bullshitting me! People would have noticed if he of all people was a demon!" she protested, pausing as they got the tickets. She knew the guy behind the counter probably thought that they were just talking about some new computer game or something. This stuff was surprisingly easy to talk about in public, really. There was nobody around other than two theater workers, though she kept getting that odd feeling that somebody was watching. Probably left over paranoia from the whole thing with Michael, she figured.

She went over to the candy counter and got a few random boxes of sweets, knowing that she would need to focus on keeping her hands busy once they got in the dark theater. It was going to be impossible not to think of him leaving then. She refused to think of it now, adding a large soda to share before taking it all and slipping her free hand back into his to go find seats.

Blake laughed a little as he payed for the tickets. "Believe whatever you want, but it isn't that rare for demons to decide to end their days in the human world. Our principal is a former demon for example. But he has turned into a human now, so you don't have to worry about him." He talked a bit more silent than before.

As they walked into the dark theater Blake noticed the presence of Zuul, he turned his head a bit and noticed him sitting in the very end. No human would see him from that distance in the darkness so it was pretty clear that he was hiding from Rachel's eyes. He grinned at Blake who turned his eyes away from the other demon and tightened his grip a bit on Rachel's hand.

"How does a demon turn into a human? That sounds like some magic fairy tale business. Of course, so does the fact that demons exist at all.. hm," Rachel mused, taking the seat next to Blake and smiling at him as she felt the slight tightening of his hand. The previews were starting, but they were all for movies she already planned on going to watch when they came out. Her focus remained on Blake, and she popped open a box of candy with her free hand.

"Are there any other demons in my personal life that I should know about?" she asked quietly, mostly teasing.

"Well.. Not even demons know for sure how it works." Blake confessed. "A lot of demons tries to become humans but aren't able too, while others are able to easily." He continued. "What we know is that if we turn off our demon powers and live in a human body then maybe we will eventually become a human. But turning off our demon powers means that we're starving ourselves, and for most of us it ends with the demon powers turning on by themselves and we loses control, then we attack everything we see. It's almost like in vampire movies when they haven't eaten blood for too long." He explained. "So it's very risky to try and become human. Not for the demon, but for everything around them."

"The only other demons around you are the once that you can't see. Lower demons are like bacteria, they are everywhere but often doesn't do any harm. For the most they attack depressed people, making them commit suicide or take over easily manipulated people for a short while to make an accident happen. Don't worry, you aren't in the risk zone." He told her as he took some candy.

"Well, that's reassuring.." she murmured, tipping the box to let him take some candy while she thought about what he said. Attempting to turn into a human sounded really troublesome and risky, like Blake had said. Why would a demon even attempt that? They'd be losing power and everything just to become a useless human. She felt like she was at the bottom of the food chain right now. It was hard to picture somebody wanting to become so vulnerable. They must have really good reasons, but what were they? Was there some benefit to being a human that she just couldn't see? Perhaps. She didn't want to point out that she was probably going to be in the 'depressed people' category once Blake was gone. It wasn't his fault, and she didn't want to worry him.

"Ooh, movie's starting," she said as the screen went black, relieved for the distraction.

Blake couldn't help but feel that something seemed to be bothering Rachel, it shouldn't have been so surprising since she got to know a lot of things she hadn't even known existed a few days earlier. She would probably need time to let everything sink in, but time was something they didn't have. It would probably be for the best if he erased her memory after the movie, it didn't matter if she wanted it or not. She wouldn't be able to miss someone she couldn't remember. And she wouldn't have to think about all the demon things if she forgot that it existed.

He didn't really watch the movie even if he looked at the screen, he mostly pretended to laugh when others laughed. But half of his consciousness was locked at Zuul and the other half were concentrating on Rachel. It would be hard for him to leave, but he knew that he had to, for Rachel's safety. Blake had thought about it threw the whole movie, so he barely noticed when it ended. If people hadn't start walking out of the room then he would probably have kept sitting there for a while.

Rachel paid just enough attention to the movie that she could be able to hold up a decent conversation about it if Blake started up once it was over. She memorized a few funny lines and followed the plot, but her mind was still on the decision he had given her. At the last scene where the lead couple finally kissed, she was still undecided. The lights brightened as the credits started to roll, and she looked over at Blake as the few people in the theater with them stood and started leaving. She hesitated, then tilted her head a fraction.

"So.. What happens now?" she asked softly.

"I guess I will follow you home like the gentleman I am, and then we'll say goodbye." Blake said and gave a gentle smile. If anyone would hear them they would probably think it was their first date or something and they would see each other the next day again. But it was more a farewell than a goodbye. He was a bit uncertain if he really should take away her memory or not, and he wouldn't have that much time to think about it.

He glanced a bit towards the place were Zuul had been before but now he had disappeared. But thanks to Blake's experiences with Zuul he was pretty certain that Zuul was around even though he couldn't see him.

"Such a gentleman," she said, standing up and taking his hand again. She walked with him out of the theater, past the busy concession stand, and out onto the sidewalk. It was dark out now, with golden streetlights giving pools of light to walk through. She took the long way around automatically, delaying the inevitable as much as she could. It wouldn't add much onto the time that she had left with him, but it was something. A bit of effort, which would soon be useless. She frowned at the thought and cast her mind about, searching for something to talk about that would be at least a little meaningful.

"Do you regret anything?"