Worlds apart

Blake got paralyzed by her words for a moment. Being called the same as that old geezer, having his friend being scared of him, being forced back to the demon world. The day could probably not become worse. "Rachel wait." He yelled after her when she ran, but he had to wait for a while before he could move since the wound just had healed. It only took some seconds after Rachel had started running before Blake was able to get up from the ground. He really didn't want to do it but since he would have to return to the demon world soon he just had to talk to Rachel even if she was death scared at the moment.

He dissolved in a black fog just like Zuul, it was a trick demons had known for thousands of years. It was a way to travel threw shadows and it went much fast than running even if he could run fast than a human. In only seconds he was in Rachels shadow that sometimes was in front of her, at her side and behind her because of the street lamps. As the shadow once again was in front of her he made himself come out of the fog like darkness.

He took a grip at Rachel's arms and held her so she wouldn't be able to run away. Sure it would probably make her more frightened but he had to at least try to calm her down. "Calm down Rachel, I won't hurt you."

Rachel was almost home when Blake appeared in front of her out of nowhere. She shrieked in surprised panic and would have run around him, but he was so close that she bumped into him before she could stop. He grabbed her before she fell and she tried to squirm away, but he was stronger than she was. She stopped her squirming at that realization and looked up at him, not believing him when he said he wasn't going to hurt her. Before she would have trusted him and known that he wouldn't hurt her, but now? Obviously he had been lying to her for years, what point would he have to be honest now? It was all lies and deceit.. He wasn't even human!

"I'm sorry that I saw you earlier. I really really didn't mean to, I swear. I won't tell anybody that it was you, I really won't. P-Please don't kill me," she begged, her eyes filling with panicked tears.

It hurt a bit to see her so frightened, especially since it was him who had frightened her. Blake had already thought about what to tell her. He would tell her that he weren't like Zuul, he would tell her that he had never killed a human. At least not for a long time, but that was a part he wouldn't tell her. He would tell her that he liked being with her and she made him feel human even though he knew he wasn't one.

But all he had prepared to tell her just disappeared when he saw the look on her face. He had no idea what to say. Instead he shoved her against his breast and hugged her. "I'm sorry." His voice trembled a bit, he didn't want to loose her, but he couldn't think about anything that would make her believe in him. And he wouldn't be able to change her mind in only three days. On the other hand, why should he try? If he was a bloodsucking monster in her mind when he left then she wouldn't feel hurt. "I'm so sorry."

He let go of her and started to walk in the other direction. He still had three days, it would be weird if he just disappeared from school. He would have to go back there and make up a lie about that he would transfer school. Many demons would just disappear if they were finished with their human business but Blake wouldn't do that. Maybe because he hoped for Rachel to speak to him before he left. That was probably the only reason he even bothered.

Rachel had tears tracing down her cheeks by the time Blake pulled her against him in a tight hug. Normally she loved hugs from Blake - they were so rare, and so warm. He wasn't usually a touchy-feely guy, but there had been a few times over the years that she managed to coax a good hug out of him. This one felt different, almost like a desperate goodbye. She looked up at him as he apologized to her, then watched as he started to walk away from her.

She just stared after him for a few moments, not knowing what to think. In the back of her mind, she knew that she shouldn't trust him. He had been feeding off a teacher when she saw him. One of his friends was a very scary demon who had stabbed him as if it was nothing. Her instincts were screaming at her to get away from him and forget about him, yet part of her was arguing. They had been alone together tons of times and he never once hurt her or threatened her. Still..

She turned away from him and walked thhe rest of the way to her house, unlocking the door with a shaking hand. Picking up her discarded backpack, she made her way up the dark stairs and into her bedroom. Her parents were out of town for the week, so she had the house to herself. Normally that would make her happy, but tonight, she was just scared. She changed into pajama pants and a tank top, then sat on her bed, clutching her headphones. Maybe music would help her relax. She laid down and took a deep breath, putting her headphones on and shutting off the light before closing her eyes and focusing on the music.

Blake went straight home to the house he lived in for the moment. Actually it was more like a mansion than a house. It wasn't as big as the castle he was living in in the demon world but it was enough. The most demons in the higher society preferred bigger places to live. Sometimes they actually got money to pay for the houses, mansions or castles they lived in when they decided to live in the human world for some time, though the money often was illegally earned. But for the most demons just hypnotized some people so that the house wouldn't be sold until they left it. He sat down in his sofa and didn't move before dawn, if someone would have walked in they would probably have thought he were a statue.

As the sun started to rise he moved, his human body was stiff after sitting in the same position for so long. At the moment he had two feelings. He wanted to just get back to the demon world, not linger in the human world for too long because it would get harder to say goodbye. But he also wanted to stay, he wanted to talk to Rachel. But she wouldn't want to talk to him anyways. He were just going to get to school and get some paper work done so that they wouldn't think he had died or gotten kidnapped. It was pretty stupid of a demon to just leave without telling people that they were going to leave if they had gotten to know people. That was nothing he had thought about before. He thought a lot like a human, he had never done that before he met Rachel. He hadn't cared about others before he had met her.

He changed clothes and went to the school. He had no idea what Rachel would do if she saw him. Scream? Maybe run. Just walk away, pretending she didn't see him. Or maybe she would talk to him. He didn't really think she would do that, it would take more than three days for her to even consider thinking about him as anything else than a monster. All humans were like that. If one demon was evil then all demons were evil. There was nothing around that. Not in a human mind.

It took Rachel hours to fall asleep. As a result, she looked exhausted when she forced herself out of bed that morning for school. She made it through a shower and getting dressed with no focus at all, then trudged off to begin her day. The bags under her eyes were nothing compared to the blank numbness in her mind. On top of being so tired she wanted to pass out, she was also still in shock about the whole Blake and Michael thing. Her mind refused to accept that her best friend was some sort of demon, but her logic refused to ignore that he had pretty much admitted to it. Plus, she had SEEN it!

She got to school, wandered through the crowded hallway, and put her bag in her locker. Today she just didn't care about her classes. She was about to slam it shut when a hand pushed on it to keep it open.

"Hey, Rachel. I heard you went out with Blake last night," Carrie said accusingly. There were a few cheerleaders behind her, but Rachel just sighed and leaned against the lockers boredly.

"Do you have a point?" she muttered irritably. Carrie blinked, clearly surprised that Rachel wasn't denying the accusation. She looked furious, but that only amused the sleepy girl.

"Why would you do that? You told me that you two were just friends!" she snapped.

"It's no wonder that you don't have any real friends, Carrie, since you think seeing a movie with one is a crime," Rachel retorted, pushing the blonde aside and walking to her first class with her hands in her pockets.

Blake didn't really know what to do about the classes, even though he had filled in the papers of him leaving the school he still were a student for one more day. He could just skip the classes since it didn't matter. But he wanted to meet Rachel and get a chance to explain. But if she saw him then she would probably freak out or not talk to him. They had the first lesson together but Blake wasn't certain that Rachel would show up if he sat in there when the lesson started. Maybe she would just tell the teacher that she felt sick and leave because he were in there.

That's why he waited. He waited until a bit after the lesson had started since Rachel was never late. But maybe she had decided not to go to school because of what happened the day before. He felt his stomach turn a bit, a feeling demons shouldn't have. These past years had made him way to human for a demon, no wonder Zuul wanted him back so early. If he lost himself to a human then how would he be able to get threw in the demon world again once the human had died?

As he walked into the classroom 15 minutes late he looked at the seat beside his own. Rachel was in school, it was a bit choking and it made Blake both terrified and happy at the same time since he didn't know what he should say to her if she gave him the chance to speak. But at least he got to see her. He sat down in his own chair and glanced a bit at Rachel wondering if she would run away without speaking to him after the lesson or if she would talk to him. Maybe she would tell the teacher that she were sick and disappear right now.

Rachel was sitting in her seat and 'writing notes' by the time Blake wandered in. In truth, she wasn't taking notes at all. She was making a sketch without really thinking about it. In it, a girl was sleeping on her school desk, and a little dream bubble told of her nightmare. It had a demon boy biting another boy, but it also had a very nice and smiling boy. When she realized what she was drawing, she flipped to a fresh page and started doodling stars instead as she struggled not to fall asleep. She paused and glanced over at Blake as he sat, meeting his eyes for a fleeting moment before they both looked away.

By the time the bell rang, Rachel was half asleep and the circles under her eyes were darker than before. She was starting to feel sick from being so exhausted. What if she went to sleep and Michael showed up? The thought kept her from drifting off in class, but she still flinched at the sound of the bell. She still didn't know what to think about Blake, but inwardly she really wanted to just forget everything and go back to how things should be. Gathering up her bag, she walked over to him as everybody rushed out, looking down instead of meeting his eyes.

"Walk me to class?"

Rachel didn't seem to have any intentions of running off in the middle of the class just because he showed up. Maybe she didn't care anymore about what had happened the day before. But only a fool wouldn't care after seeing a demon, not even Rachel was so much of a fool. There was no way she would talk to him, she was probably still terrified. It would take a long time before she would be able to think of him as more than a demon, time that Blake didn't have.

As the bell sounded everyone rushed out. Blake took it easy, he intended to get out last since then he wouldn't run into Rachel on his way out and scare the life out of her again. Suddenly he heard some footsteps the walked towards his desk instead of the door. He turned his head and saw Rachel doing a halt and actually speaking to him. For the most he would have made a weird joke and maybe put his arm around her and then played around with her hair. But that would maybe freak her out now, he didn't even know if he would be able to touch her.

"Sure." He simply said and rose from his seat. "How come you're talking to me today?" He asked bluntly, first he had thought about asking 'how come you didn't run away today?' but of some reason he changed it before the full sentence were out. He were hurt over that she actually had tried to run from him, him. Her best friend that had tried to protect her. Even though he were different, even though he weren't human. He didn't think that he would have done anything different if he had been a human but still, it hurt a bit to watch the person you trust suddenly become so afraid of you.

"You never were very subtle, Blake," she murmured as he very bluntly asked her why she was even talking to him. She gave him a faint half-smile, waiting for him to get up before walking with him to the door. Today she didn't really dare to take his hand or his arm while they walked like she usually would. It wasn't just a fear of what he was - she thought that he might be upset with her. She knew that she'd be upset, if she had a secret like that and Blake had run away when he found out. It was starting to really set in that what she had done might be considered hurtful, even though she hadn't meant it that way.

"I guess I'm talking to you because I can't find a reason not to," she finally said, keeping her voice quiet so that only he could hear her in the crowded hallway. "I realized that running away wasn't.. a nice thing to do. I was scared and couldn't think straight.. but I realized that you didn't try to hurt me at all. Michael terrified me and I didn't know what else to do after seeing you with that teacher after school.." she said, trailing off. She knew the teacher was still alive, so what had been going on? It was confusing - and frightening.

"I just want you to know that I still trust you, Blake," she said softly, looking up at him as she finally admitted what she could feel was true.

"You're trusting a demon? Now I'm certain that you don't have a brain." He said and gave a teasing smile. It was a bit hurting that she didn't try to take his hand or his arm since she almost always did. It made her feel a bit far away. But at the same time he understood that she couldn't just be close to him immediately after seeing what she saw the day before. Well, at least he could take his revenge on Zuul for telling Rachel that Blake was a demon.

"And there's one thing you should know about Michael, his human name is actually Melvin. Can you really feel terrified for someone named Melvin?" He said and laughed. Maybe she could since Zuul was a demon and a human that didn't fear a demon would be kind of stupid, but still, thinking the name Melvin when someone are threatening you would probably make you die laughing at least. "Don't worry about him, when I leave tomorrow then he won't disturb you again." Blake promised her. He knew that he had to leave, and there was no idea to hide it from her. Even though she now tried to accept him it was better for her if he left.

"I think we both know that I've always been a little crazy," Rachel said, attempting a weak stab at humor. She knew that he was right - trusting a demon was idiotic. It was like the start of a horror movie. Stupid girl trusts demon, demon backstabs stupid girl, hero kills demon. That was a movie she didn't want to see. Blake couldn't die. He just.. couldn't. The very thought tore her apart, but she pushed it away and focused on the here and now. Right now, Blake was here, and he was speaking to her.

"Melvin is a pretty silly name," she admitted, then stopped walking and laid her hand on his arm as she looked up at him. "Blake.. I really don't want you to leave tomorrow," she said softly, her expression pained and filled with sadness. The late bell rang and the students around them all raced to class, but she didn't care.

He chuckled a bit at her joke. He had always told her that she were crazy but he never thought she would be this crazy. Though he were pretty happy that she were, at least he would be able to be with her during his last day in the human world. Suddenly she took his arm and looked up at him. Blake could almost feel his heart making a sudden stop as those sad eyes looked up at him. For a moment he felt like putting his arms around her and tell her that he wouldn't leave. But he knew too well what consequences that would give.

Blake gave her a small gentle smile. "It would be too dangerous if I didn't leave." He said as he put a hand on her head and stroke her hair gently as a father or a brother would do. "He's one of the strongest demons alive, and human life means nothing to him. I wouldn't be able to stop him if he decided to kill you." His smile had disappeared and he kept his expression neutral and his voice dead serious. Even if the truth was hard it was better that she heard it. Blake was strong, but he had his limits.

Rachel had to look away. The urge to just sit there and cry was nearly overwhelming. She wanted to tell him that she would rather die than go through the rest of her life without him, but it sounded hollow and useless in her head. What would be the point in telling him that? They were just friends, right? She pulled her hand away from his arm and just nodded slightly. He was leaving tomorrow. Time for her to accept it and stop wishing that he would stay and that everything would go back to normal just because she wanted it to. The world never worked that way for anybody.

"Okay, Blake.." she murmured halfheartedly, not daring to look up at him at the threat of betraying how heartbroken this whole situation was making her. The halls were deserted now and she knew it was only a matter of time before a teacher came walking by and yelled at them for not being where they were supposed to be. She turned and started walking onward toward class, figuring he'd follow along like usual.

Blake got a bit disappointed that Rachel didn't even try to make him stay. But he knew that it was for the best anyways. If she tried to get him to stay then maybe he would end up staying, he would never be able to resist her if she started crying. But even though one part of him wanted her to try making him stay, another part of him reminded him of Zuul. He wouldn't let go of Blake that easily. And Blake wouldn't be able to protect Rachel if he really had decided to kill her.

He didn't follow her right away, when she had taken three or four steps then he started to walk and let there be a gap between them. He didn't know why he did that, but of some reason it felt like the closer to her he was the harder it would get to leave. Maybe he should leave right away instead of waiting, it would just get harder to leave if he tried to stay as long as possible.

"I may leave tonight. I don't want to take the risk of him coming back and make more threats." Blake said behind Rachel while looking down into the ground.

"Tonight?" she repeated in surprise, pausing in her steps again and turning to look back at him. He wasn't right behind her as she had thought, but rather a few steps back and looking at the floor instead of up at her. She frowned sadly and turned back away. Well, it probably didn't make a difference. He wouldn't have been coming to school tomorrow anyway, and he probably didn't even want to see her after school. Did that mean she only got a few more hours before her best friend walked out of her life?

"Blake, I re-" she started, but then a teacher came around the corner and spotted them.

"You two! What are you going out here?! Class started almost ten minutes ago! I won't have this dallying about! Detention, both of you," she said irritably, handing them both slips. Clearly she had a bad morning since usually they just gave warnings. "Now, go to class! Now!" she snapped.

Rachel stuffed the paper in her pocket and walked the rest of the way to class in silence, taking her seat without even glancing at the teacher.

Blake nodded a bit. It would be for the best. Rachel shouldn't get into danger because of him. Zuul was too powerful for Blake, and Zuul had hundreds of underlings that would help him without questioning him at all. Blake had some servants but they would be no match for Zuul's servants.

He looked up as Rachel started to speak again but got interrupted by a teacher founding them. What had she been about to say? Those stupid teachers, he could just have hypnotized her to leave them and make her think that she hadn't seen them. But it was probably for the best if he didn't do it. Not in front of Rachel at least. He had already scared her by showing that he are a demon, he didn't have to make her think that she may be brainwashed.

Blake walked in silence still a bit behind Rachel, it only strengthened his thoughts about leaving earlier. It would just be awkward between them until he left anyways. He could as well leave right after school, or after the next lesson. It didn't really mattered. But he were a bit curious about what Rachel had been about to say. He wrote on a small piece of paper and made sure so the teacher wouldn't see him doing it.

'What was it you were about to say before?' He wrote and laid it on Rachel's desk.

Rachel looked down at the paper and picked up her pen. She was going to write what she was going to say, but she paused as soon as the pen came into contact with the paper. Maybe it was better that they were interrupted. Now he wouldn't know what she wanted to say to him more than anything. She considered that for a moment, then tilted her head a fraction and wrote out a quick response to him before sneaking the paper back on his desk.

'Nothing important.'

No, of course it wasn't important. She wasn't going to say the same things over again when he had already made up his mind. The class was busy chattering about some upcoming project and she just couldn't focus. Today was a waste. She just wanted to go home and curl up in bed with her headphones and drown out the world. But that wouldn't keep Blake here..

Blake became a bit disappointed when she wouldn't tell him what it was she had been about to say to him in the corridor. Even though he wanted to ask her again he was pretty certain she weren't going to tell him. He started to write on a piece of paper again.

'Do you want to go to the cinema after school? Since we missed the chance yesterday.'

If he had to leave then at least he could try to get a good last memory with her. He didn't want to just disappear without telling her goodbye and do something fun with her before leaving. He thought for a moment that maybe it would be good to just erase her memory of him. Make sure she wouldn't know that he had disappeared or ever even existed. But thinking about that she may forget about him, it hurt even more than leaving her.

Rachel glanced down at the paper, pausing thoughtfully. Missed the chance. That was one way of putting it. Even though they had seen the movie, it had ended on such a horrible and twisted note that she could barely remember if the film they saw was worth recommending to anybody. She knew this was probably her last chance to spend time with Blake before he.. Gosh, it was hard to even think about.

'Yeah, sure. There's a comedy playing, I think. Pay attention and take notes - might as well be a good student on your last day.'

She slid the paper back over to him and opened her own notebook, forcing her mind to blank as she absently took notes on whatever the teacher was rambling on about.