Worlds apart

As he entered the classroom he noticed that Rachel already had gotten there. "Congratulations, you survived." He laughed while applauding. Then he moved to sit in the seat beside her. "A bird whispered in my ear that you played dodgeball, that must have been fun. Aren't you glad that I made you not skip class?" He smiled innocently as if he thought she loved ball games. But he knew very well that there was barely any sport she liked. It was just by coincidence that he had heard about her class playing dodgeball. Some of her classmates had talked about the match when he happened to pass by them.

"A bird, huh? Yeah, it was loads of fun. Thank you so much for making sure that I went and played with my friends," she retorted with a mild glare. That innocent act of his might work on the other girls, but she wasn't going to fall for it. He knew perfectly well that she despised gym worse than anything in her life. It had been especially bad last year when she had gym with him. He hadn't stopped teasing the entire year! In some ways, he was worse than her evil gym teacher.

"So, Carrie still likes you. She asked me, again, if we were dating. The entire time she kept talking about 'what a babe' you are. Have you even said hi to her?" she went on. Carrie was a blonde in her gym class who was 'the whole package'. Cute, funny, cheerleader, in a million clubs that she probably didn't care about, class president. Insanely popular, of course - and for over two years, she had her eyes set on Blake. It was likely the only reason that she ever talked to Rachel. Apparently she had no way to get to him otherwise, which amused Rachel immensely.

He thought for a moment, at first he couldn't even remember who it was. Mostly because he didn't care about people he wasn't interested in, the only reason he were able to remember their teachers names were because it would be weird if he couldn't remember them after four years. But after some thinking he remembered the blonde girl, cheerleader, a lot of energy in that human. He had feasted a bit on the cheerleader squad because they had a lot of energy to take from and he couldn't deny that Carrie was a delicacy even if it was just energy.

"I said sorry to her once when we walked into each other and then I helped her pick up her books. Except that I haven't said anything to her." He told Rachel. It happened around a year earlier, it had almost seemed like the girl had ran into him on purpose. She had tried to start a conversation right after running into him but he had been in a hurry to the lesson. Of course he didn't care about the lesson but he had the lesson together with Rachel so he didn't really want to miss it. "You know, if we started to date then she wouldn't have to ask you if we were dating." He said teasingly.

He couldn't really understand what girls saw in him, he were lazy, never did homework, never talked to anyone besides Rachel if they didn't come up to him and started a conversation. But it often didn't last more than two minutes because he said he had to go. Human girls really had bad taste in men.

"What?!" she exclaimed, blushing immediately. Date Blake?! No way! He was her best friend - one of her only friends, really, and the only one that she ever turned to if she needed advice. There was no way that she could date him! She didn't see him that way! Shaking her head, she struggled to get rid of her blush as the teacher walked in and started talking about some old novel that Rachel had read months ago. Apparently they were going to be watching a movie based on it today. The whole class cheered and put away their books, settling back to whisper among themselves and not pay a bit of attention to the old black-and-white film moving across the screen of the giant television that was brought in on a rolling stand.

Rachel thought about how Carrie had raved on and on about how attractive Blake was. She doodled in her notebook, then glanced over at him when she was certain that he wasn't looking at her. Once she really focused on him, she was able to look at him objectively. Taking away the fact that he was her best friend, he really was cute. She could see why Carrie was obsessed. His figure, his eyes.. Oddly enough, she was attracted to his attitude. Hm. She looked away before she was caught, resuming her doodle.

'Want to play tic-tac-toe?' she wrote, turning the paper toward Blake.

If it wasn't for the teacher coming into the classroom then Blake would definitely have started laughing right out because she took his comment to seriously. Instead he had to try and hold the laughter in which wasn't the easiest. Some giggles escaped but the teacher didn't seem to notice. But slowly he were able to calm himself down.

The film had already started once he had calmed down. Black-and-white films were so boring. He had almost decided to fall asleep when Rachel turned a paper towards him. Tic-tac-toe. He thought about it for a moment and then wrote 'sure'. It was better than concentrating on the movie, though a card game would have been more fun. 'do you wanna start?' He wrote right afterwards.

Nodding a little, she picked her pen back up and scooted her desk and chair silently closer to his. She turned the paper toward her and drew the four lines of the game board, then added an 'x' in the upper left hand corner. It was always where she started, every single time. Still, they were about even on wins and losses. She had a feeling that sometimes he let her win, but it was just a feeling. It was a game of chance, after all. You didn't know what the other person was going to do. When she was done with the x, she turned the paper toward him and smiled. He always seemed to pick at random, like his attention was somewhere else. She wished she could read his mind, just once, to see what had him so distracted all the time.

Blake never really tried to win these silly games, he just always did. It was only when he concentrated that she won and that was mostly because he let her. A demons mind had a much more logical way of thinking than most humans which made them think about the most logical move before they had even noticed it. They knew the answer without thinking about it too much. Then when it came to games that had to do with luck there was always a bit of the game that was logical too and as long as they could control that small bit of the game it was easy to win.

He made a 'O' in the middle square without really thinking where he put it. The first move didn't matter that much, but the middle was mostly the best place because then it was easy to get a straight line in whichever direction he wanted to.

By the end of the movie, they were even. Blake had beaten Rachel just as many times as she beat him. She was out of room on her paper and just wrote 'we'll settle this next time!' over the whole thing. The credits came on and the class groaned to wakefulness, sitting up and rubbing their eyes when the lights flicked on. Rachel put her things away and glanced at the clock. Only a few minutes to go. She glanced at the board. The homework was questions about the story the movie was based on, which she already had done. Good, nothing to do tonight then. She looked back at the clock just as the bell rang and everybody scrambled up.

"Finally," she muttered, standing up and scooping up her bag before looking over at Blake. "Okay, I'll meet you at the theater. Don't be late or I'll beat you with a stick," she said with a smile, then pulled her headphones on and flicked on the player in her pocket. Ah, bliss. She could walk through the hallways and hear nothing but music. Smiling to herself, she stopped at the bathroom, then went to her locker to be sure she had all the books she needed. The halls were basically empty by now. She realized she had forgotten her book from way back in first period and sighed. Great. Might as well get it now. She frowned and shut her locker, walking down to the classroom quickly.

Finally the lesson was over. Blake had won some of the games and then let Rachel win some of them. He hadn't really counted how many they had won each but he guessed it was pretty even. "I won't be late, I'm to afraid of you to even dare." He said and made himself shudder. He gave her a smile before she left and then waited until the classroom was empty. The teacher that wanted to see him came only a minute after the lesson had ended. Blake was too tired to even listen to the start of his speech.

Just before the teacher were about to start talking Blake glared into his eyes and the teacher stopped moving. "You are not going to remember what's about to happen in here." Blake said a bit irritated. He wanted it over with fast and didn't even want to hypnotize the idiot that stood before him. But he didn't want people to know about him either nor did he want to kill a person. It would only be bothersome if a teacher died or disappeared.

He were only going to take a bit of this persons soul, or lifespan, whatever it was called. But it was really tempting to take a bit of blood. "Maybe just for today." He mumbled for himself and smiled. He let his fangs and claws grow out and then his black wings, his blue hair changed into black and grew longer. Something that looked like black tattoos went all over his body and his eyes got a blood red color. He knew no humans was close by, so he could let his demon form show. This teacher wouldn't remember it, and Blake would heal him afterwards. He took a grip on the teachers arm and took it up to his mouth. It wasn't really food, it was more of a drug. But as long as he could control his desire it wouldn't matter if he took it just once every second year or so.

Then he bit threw the teachers skin and started to drink the blood.

Rachel nodded along to the music in her ears, smiling a bit. Once she got the book, she could go home and drop everything off. She'd even have a chance to grab a snack or something before she'd have to head out to meet Blake. The movie was going to be fantastic, she just knew it. She nodded to herself and turned the corner to step into the classroom, then looked up when she realized it wasn't empty. Her movements froze and she just stared for a moment before realizing what she was looking at. She didn't recognize him, but all of her horror movie instincts kicked in and she dropped her bag before running back up the hallway.

She ducked into a bathroom and locked the door to the room, then backed up until she was over by the window. If necessary she could climb out, but there were bars that she'd have to slip through. Plus it was locked. Maybe it hadn't seen her. Actually.. Maybe she had imagined it. After all, she was thinking of a horror movie. There was no chance something like that was real. She slapped herself and sighed. Damn it, her overactive imagination was getting to her again. She frowned and unlocked the door, tugging it back open.

Blake stopped as he heard something fall to the floor. He let go of the teachers arm and looked up just in time to see a girl run away. He was pretty certain who it was even though he hadn't been able to see the face of the girl and the books on the floor confirmed his suspicions. Rachel. He changed back to his human form and healed the wound on the teachers arm. Then he took up the books from the floor and started to walk. It wasn't hard to find her, he just smelled his way to her. If she hadn't seen him transform then she wouldn't know that he was the demon, he could just say that he found her books and the teacher wouldn't even remember that something had happened so she could have imagined the whole thing. Maybe he would have to tell her what had happened, or maybe he should just erase her memory of the event.

Blake wasn't certain what to do about the situation, he just had to see what Rachel thought she had seen and then he could decide what to do afterwards. "Rachel, are you here?" He shouted when he felt her smell getting stronger. He could find her without asking but that would seem very suspicious. Instead he would act like nothing had happened for now and that he only searched after her because he had found her books lying on the floor.

"Blake?" she asked, hearing his voice. Sure enough, when she stepped fully out of the bathroom, she saw him. He had her bag, which was a relief, since she really didn't want to go back there. "Hey, um.. Let's get out of here," she suggested, taking his hand and walking out of the school with him. The whole time she kept glancing over her shoulder, but once they were outside, she sighed and shook her head.

"Sorry, I guess I'm imagining things. Too excited for the movie or something.. Why are you still here anyway? Oh wait, that meeting. Did it go well?" she asked, taking her bag from him and trying to shake off the fearful feelings.

Blake followed her silently as they walked out of the school. She clearly hadn't recognized him or else she wouldn't have walked out with him. So she hadn't seen him transform either. That was good. He didn't really want her to know about demons, it would just complicate things. Especially if others got to know about it, other demons.

"Yeah it went well, he screamed at me a bit and then when I didn't listen he gave me detention which I ditch because I'm more afraid of you than of the teacher. I mean if I ditch the detention then I will get detention, if I ditch your movie then I will probably die." He told her. "What happened that made you leave your books at the floor? Did you see a ghost?" He joked. First he almost asked if she had seen a demon but he changed it in his mind in the last second. It would have been weird if he mentioned a demon when she saw something that could look like a demon for a human.

Rachel was only half listening as Blake told her about the meeting between himself and the teacher. It probably went the same as always anyway. Detention, threats of suspension, lots of arguing. What really held her attention at the moment was what she had seen.. or what she thought that she did. Had it really been a hallucination? Was it a true product of her imagination, or had it been something real? If it was real, why hadn't Blake seen it when he found her bag? None of it made any sense. She frowned a little, gazing at the door of the school, then looked back to Blake with a forced smile.

"Oh, uh, nothing. I just thought I saw something and got freaked. Too many late night movies or something," she said, not wanting to admit that she had seen something that probably wasn't there. He'd think she was crazy if she told him what she thought she saw. "Don't you dare think that it gets you out of going to the movie tonight, though!" she added, then looked at her watch. "Oh crap, we're going to be late if we don't hurry. We can stop at my house on the way just to drop my bag on the porch and then go."

That was good, she didn't seem to believe what she had seen in the classroom. But at the same time she could just be hiding it form Blake because she didn't think he would believe her. But even if she believed that what she saw was real it wasn't like she could prove it nor figure out that it was him. He just had to be more careful from now on so that she wouldn't find out what he was.

"Let's hurry up then, we don't want to miss it. I won't wait for you if you can't keep up with me." He warned her and started to walk faster. His legs were longer than hers so even if she ran he would be able to keep walking in a fast pace. And even if they would have had the same leg length it wouldn't have bothered him since demons didn't get exhausted so easily. Suddenly he felt a familiar smell, but he didn't try to find out were it came from because it would seem weird if he suddenly started to look around as if he searched for someone. He was pretty certain who it was he smelled anyways, and that person would probably not take contact before Blake was alone.

'Damn geezer' He thought to himself. He knew they would search him up eventually for just leaving from the demon world but he didn't think it would be so soon. After all, time worked so different in the demon world than in the human world. Ten human years was nothing for a demon so he thought that he at least could get away from them for that long. Well, he was pretty certain that the wouldn't do anything as long as he were with a human and a lot of humans were around them. So for the moment he would just go along with Rachel and then take care of the old geezer when the movie was over.

"Hey, that's completely unfair! You've got legs like an Amazon and I'm short!" she complained, chasing after him. She laughed as she caught up to him, prodding him in the side a few times. It didn't take long to get to her house from the school - that's why she never took that bus. She preferred to walk and see people. Plus, she was usually late and running was a lot faster than a massive yellow vehicle that stopped every two seconds! She ran up her walkway and pulled her housekey out of her pocket, unlocking the door and opening it just long enough to dump her bag inside. That done, she shut it, locked it and ran back to the sidewalk.

"Okay. We've got ten minutes until the movie is supposed to start, but the theater is a five minute walk as long as we take the shortcut down the alleys instead of the street. That'll give us enough time to buy tickets and sit before it starts," she said, prodding him along and turning down a long alley between two large clothing stores. "What was the movie about that caused you to miss your homework last night?" she asked, to give them something to talk about as they hurried.

"And if a murderer jumps at us while we're walking in the alleys then I'll just use you as a shield." He teased her. He tried to look as relaxed as possible and for a human he probably looked as relaxed as a human could be, but a demon would notice immediately that he were stiff and alert for any danger. With another demon close by, a demon that probably was searching for him, he couldn't let his guard down.

"Oh, you know. It was gory, a lot of blood. It was mainly about a dude that went out and killed random girls, raped the corpses and then ate the body. Apparently it is based of a real persons life. He was executed when they caught him." He told her as if it was completely normal. As a demon Blake wasn't really disturbed by people doing such things like eating each other. Demons killed each other all the time and sometimes ate the killed demon. Mostly it was just lower demons that killed each other, mainly higher demons didn't use violence and were more politic. They mostly sent out lower demons to do the killing if it was necessary. But they could of course kill other demons if they were attacked. Higher demons were acting pretty much like humans and did often take human form even in the demon world, of some reason they had gotten attached to the humans eighteenth century style. Even Blake had lived in a eighteenth century inspired castle in the demon world.

From a house roof a man with long black hair was watching the two young people walking. "I see you have gotten a pet." A grin appeared on his face before he turned and left with the intention to soon return and take what he came for.

"You're such a gentleman. You know, since I'm a girl, you're supposed to protect me!" she retorted, giggling. Honestly she had no idea what would happen if they were jumped since she had zero fighting skills and hadn't ever seen Blake fight. Wait, no, that wasn't true. He had punched a guy in the face at school before and knocked him out, but he had never told her why he did it. Got him a week of detention. She pondered that, then shook her head a bit and listened as he told her all about the movie he had been watching.

"He ate them?! Ugh, Blake, that's so gross," she groaned, sticking her tongue out and shaking her head. "Blegh.." she muttered. Nasty. How could somebody eat somebody else?! That couldn't taste good! She pushed the thoughts away and took his hand, tugging him out the end of the alley and across the street to the theater. "Made it with four minutes to spare. I was only one off," she said, grinning at him and walking over to the ticket booth.

"How can you be certain that it's gross if you haven't eaten a human before?" He said teasingly and rose one of his eyebrows. "Don't say anything before you have tested." He had tested and eating the flesh of a human was actually pretty gross, it tasted disgusting. But there was other parts of a human that was edible so he didn't complain about it.

"I hope this movie is good or else I will tell the teacher that it was your fault I didn't do my homework." He told her as they got to the ticket booth. Not because it mattered, he never did the homework anyways. And since he probably would be forced back to the demon world in some days it wasn't really any point to start with it. The most demons weren't strong enough to force Blake with them if there weren't ten or twenty of them attacking at the same time. But the demon king was stronger than most demons, it wasn't much he could do against that man. But Blake wouldn't give up so easily, that old geezer would have to work hard. After all, loosing to a man with such a ridiculous name would just be embarrassing. On the other hand, it was only during the latest hundred years that the name had started to be ridiculous since humans barely named there children that before.

"As if you can say anything. It's not like you've eaten a human before either," Rachel retorted, laughing as she took her ticket and handed the other one to Blake. "Go ahead and blame me. You know that they won't believe you. I'm too perfect of a student - they probably wish my study habits would rub off on you, you horrible delinquent," she teased, walking into the theater that the movie was going to play in. The lights were already off because they were playing the previews of new movies, but from the light of the screen she could see that there were a lot of empty seats in the back.

"Come on," she murmured, walking over and sitting in the middle of the next-to-last row. She didn't like sitting against the wall, but it was nice to not have anybody behind her. Once she was all settled in and comfy, she glanced at the screen and saw the real movie hadn't started yet. "You'll still have time to do your homework after this, you know," she said quietly, smiling up at him.